Author Topic: Titanium Case?  (Read 8924 times)

Offline KaminKevCrew

Titanium Case?
« on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 20:52:48 »
Has anyone made a titanium keyboard case before? I think I might try one sometime, and I was just wondering if anyone's done that yet. I think it would look pretty cool, especially if it had a matte burnt look.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: Titanium Case?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 21:06:50 »
Try one?  Like mill one out yourself?
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 21:16:40 »
The closest I have possibly seen is Mkawa's smallfry boards, but those are just a switch plate, standoffs, and a bottom plate.  Look up prices on blocks of titanium and you will see one reason why people haven't done it yet.  This is on top of the difficulty of machining titanium vs steel or aluminum.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 21:20:47 »
Checked a quick price from mcmastercarr.com, and 1"x3"x12" in titanium would cost about $240 + shipping.  This wouldn't even get you close to being able to mill out a keyboard case.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 21:50:01 »
Yeah, and that's the cost before milling. And milling Ti is crazy expensive.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 21:55:28 »
Titanium spacebars alone were $100. I miss mine, it was awesome.
Sometimes I still think how cool a set would be with Ti bar/mods and scar face for the rest of the caps.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 21:59:14 »
Yeah, hammer crew in China made some titanium 60% cases.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 22:00:57 »
My uncle has really nice machining stuff at his place. I literally only need the materials, and maybe a couple of tungsten bits. Other than that, I'd be able to do it pretty much for free. That certainly is expensive though.

Is Tungsten any cheaper than Ti?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 22:07:01 »
My uncle has really nice machining stuff at his place. I literally only need the materials, and maybe a couple of tungsten bits. Other than that, I'd be able to do it pretty much for free. That certainly is expensive though.

Is Tungsten any cheaper than Ti?

You can't mill tungsten.  It is to hard.  It is generally shaped with grinding.

With the amount of material you would need to remove, unless he has one HELL of a setup, including flood coolant and possibly cnc, and a lot of experience with titanium, you are going to need more than a couple bits.  It would not be out of the realm of feasibility that cutters will cost more than the material for someone not experienced with milling titanium.

And the cost is based on weight of the material, so as dimensions increase at a linear rate, cost goes up at a cubic rate.

http://www.tmstitanium.com/products/online-catalog/3-00-4-00-grade-5-6al-4v-block/titanium-block-6al-4v-gr-5-3-0-thk-x-12-x-7-5/

Edit:  Not trying to say you can't do it.  Just trying to make you aware of the real costs associated with it.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 22:18:53 »
i think a edox case would be sick.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 22:22:48 »

You can't mill tungsten.  It is to hard.  It is generally shaped with grinding.

With the amount of material you would need to remove, unless he has one HELL of a setup, including flood coolant and possibly cnc, and a lot of experience with titanium, you are going to need more than a couple bits.  It would not be out of the realm of feasibility that cutters will cost more than the material for someone not experienced with milling titanium.

And the cost is based on weight of the material, so as dimensions increase at a linear rate, cost goes up at a cubic rate.

http://www.tmstitanium.com/products/online-catalog/3-00-4-00-grade-5-6al-4v-block/titanium-block-6al-4v-gr-5-3-0-thk-x-12-x-7-5/

Edit:  Not trying to say you can't do it.  Just trying to make you aware of the real costs associated with it.
hmmm... Sounds like I'd probably be in for closer to $1000 then... And that's a bit more than I'd like to spend on my first real keyboard case... Maybe one day I'll check interest and do a run of five or so, but that day is a long ways off.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 07:41:15 »
There would be awesome cred in talking about titanium, but why go through the heartache?

The huge advantage is its lighter weight, but an additional pound is not a bad thing for a keyboard unless you carry it around regularly.

Aluminum is a great material and stainless would be even better. Factoring in machine work, you could probably do silver for a comparable price to titanium.

Personally, I would like a textured surface, whatever you call it when it sits in a bath of vibrating abrasives, and would avoid any glossy surface because it never looks good for more than a few minutes/hours at a time.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 10:10:57 »
Anyone have pictures of them?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 10:33:50 »
Ti is amazing for geek cred, but how much lighter is it than aluminum?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 11:07:39 »
Ti is amazing for geek cred, but how much lighter is it than aluminum?

Titanium is 1.5x heavier than Aluminum, but also 2-3x as strong (depending on which aluminum alloy you're talking about).

Frankly using titanium for a case seems bonkers. If you want a strong, light metal case go for the stronger aluminum alloys of 7075 or even 7068 (7068 can hit the strength of softer steels).

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 12:27:32 »

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 14:52:22 »
Just curious, why do people want titanium case? I think aluminium cases are already solid enough and also lighter than titanium.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 14:53:14 »
Just curious, why do people want titanium case? I think aluminium cases are already solid enough and also lighter than titanium.

The same reason I'd like an Inconel case. 'Cause maximum material swag.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 14:54:24 »

Couple reasons actually.

The geek cred of titanium.

It has a unique look.

I wonder what a block big enough to mill a TKL case would cost?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 14:56:25 »

One Brazillion dollars :(.

I would love to know that myself. And I wonder how much the machinery and setup would be for a small shop to take a crack at it. The bits to make chips probably aren't cheap.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 15:15:00 »

Nothing but Model F guts would even be worthy to go into such an enclosure.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 15:15:52 »
You planning on strapping you keyboard to a jet engine CPT?

I just had to look this up...

@ ~$30/lb you're looking at just north of $600 for a 14"x5"x1" block of Inconel 718. Now I don't think you could get a block that small, but hey the scrap goes for north of $4/lb! so save those turnings!

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 15:33:22 »

That's tempting... especially since I'm mainly interested in 60% at the moment...

@ ~$30/lb you're looking at just north of $600 for a 14"x5"x1" block of Inconel 718. Now I don't think you could get a block that small, but hey the scrap goes for north of $4/lb! so save those turnings!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 15:35:08 »

Yes that is my plan :cool:. Thanks for sharing the pricing haha.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 15:47:19 »
Yes that is my plan :cool:. Thanks for sharing the pricing haha.

I just found an online supplier that has Inconel 718 equivalent sheets (unfortunately only up to 1/8"), and they're at $48-55/lb so let's just double that and go with $1200.  :eek:

Edit: Yeah, round stock is significantly cheaper at $33/lb from the same supplier, and that's where I got my first number from.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 August 2015, 15:50:42 by jbondeson »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 16:12:48 »
If you really want a titanium case, you should engineer it to properly make use of the materials strengths.

Aluminum works well in machining operations because it's easy to mill, and it's softness requires more material/support. Titanium is more of a hardened steel and works better as thin tubing or welded plates and not so much as a machined chunk. Can you machine it from a chunk, yes, of course, however price will be insane, especially when you consider more than 90% of it will end up as scrap. You do not need the walls or bottom to be as thick as aluminum, it's not an efficient use of the material, it's properties, or your money. A better option for a titanium keyboard is either make it from welded plates of titanium, or cast it, either method results in far less waste. You could even weld plates or make a casting, then machine it, again generating far less scrap (casting then machining is what Vortex does for their aluminum cases). Another interesting option is weld small diameter tubes of it together, building a cage for a case (look at race car tube chassis for inspiration).

Unfortunately, casting it is probably beyond most peoples ability, and  unless you know someone who regularly welds Titanium, that's not so much a good option as welding Titanium is difficult, it becomes contaminated easily making for a very weak weld. Then again, for what Titanium costs, finding a welder capable of it is probably cheaper than any other method. My advice would be to just have a tub made from sheet titanium, then drill it and make standoffs and such from plastic or aluminum rather than trying to make it entirely from Titanium. I would also advocate having some done in steel first, because if you get it wrong, it's gonna hurt.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 17:24:29 »
Show Image

Show Image

How much did they cost?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Data

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 18:31:43 »
Titanium is great, but I'm holding out for depleted uranium.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 21:29:09 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:14:18 by alienman82 »

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 21:31:20 »
Flammable!

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 23:12:31 »

Nothing but Model F guts would even be worthy to go into such an enclosure.

I'm just thinking about the cost of milling an actual model F housing from a solid block of titanium and its probably approaching the cost of a mid range car, and that's assuming you would not need someone to make the dimensions custom.

you could obviously cut it in a way that the scraps could be reused to recoup some costs but yea. up front investment would be insane.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 23:24:31 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:14:12 by alienman82 »

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 00:41:33 »
A filco (reference tkl) is 14 x 5.3 x 1.3 inches or 96.46 cubic inches.  Now just some quick math here (without the cost of machining considered), the cost per cubic inch is around $4 judging by this website:

http://www.tmstitanium.com/products/online-catalog/3-00-4-00-grade-5-6al-4v-block/titanium-block-6al-4v-gr-5-3-25-thk-x-4-6-x-22-8/

It's expensive, but not too bad considering it's titanium.  Now I don't know much about grades or anything, but there may be someway to make a titanium case for a "reasonable" price.

well making a titanium case with small pieces screwed together and milling a model f out of a solid giant piece are different stories.
I don't think they sell large titanium blocks by weight.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 01:10:08 »
A filco (reference tkl) is 14 x 5.3 x 1.3 inches or 96.46 cubic inches.  Now just some quick math here (without the cost of machining considered), the cost per cubic inch is around $4 judging by this website:

http://www.tmstitanium.com/products/online-catalog/3-00-4-00-grade-5-6al-4v-block/titanium-block-6al-4v-gr-5-3-25-thk-x-4-6-x-22-8/

It's expensive, but not too bad considering it's titanium.  Now I don't know much about grades or anything, but there may be someway to make a titanium case for a "reasonable" price.

well making a titanium case with small pieces screwed together and milling a model f out of a solid giant piece are different stories.
I don't think they sell large titanium blocks by weight.

That is ultimately how any raw metal gets priced out at.  There is going to be a mark up for individual blocks like that.  But it is all priced out per pound. 

Offline PrinsPils

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 05:30:48 »
I love titanium, a TKL keyboard case would be so amazing. But the price would be redonkulous

Offline Dark_wizzie

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 05:59:21 »
Hello Teengeek, we meet again!

I've never seen titanium keyboard before. Not sure what it'll look like either.
Beep Boop

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 06:09:15 »
Hello Teengeek, we meet again!

I've never seen titanium keyboard before. Not sure what it'll look like either.
So we do! Salutations!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 07:15:15 »
It might not be unreasonable to look at a cast aluminum case with a top surface skin of titanium a couple of mm thick.

And for quadruple the cost you might be able to turn down around the edges a few mm.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 08:04:47 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:14:03 by alienman82 »

Offline Data

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 13:11:46 »
You could probably do a layered-style case from laser or water jet-cut plates for much cheaper than a milled block of titanium.

It would probably be several hundred dollars instead of several thousand.   :p