Author Topic: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case  (Read 126885 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 12:45:46 »
No it does not. KMAC and KMAC LE came in silver and titanium.

But KMAC 1.2 and KMAC 2 comes in gunmetal/red/black

how much is it total for a kmac 2 shipped to the States

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #301 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 12:49:19 »
That I'm not too sure of. Probably somewhere between $300-$400 if I had to guess though.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #302 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 13:22:07 »
I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but a Filco with a programmable controller in an aluminum case is just as good as a KMAC. I just wish WFD's universal TKL plate worked with the Vortex case.

this I wouldn't flame!
it would be less high end and hype but still as good for me
Only major drawback is the plate issue
Phantom with WFD plate in this case would be my kmac

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #303 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 13:42:10 »
I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but a Filco with a programmable controller in an aluminum case is just as good as a KMAC. I just wish WFD's universal TKL plate worked with the Vortex case.

this I wouldn't flame!
it would be less high end and hype but still as good for me
Only major drawback is the plate issue
Phantom with WFD plate in this case would be my kmac

If you REALLY want to, You can Grind the edges of the WFD plate yourself to fit the Vortex. all you need is a disk grinder.. It's actually really easy..

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #304 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 13:59:03 »
Really easy to grind the edges to give it a bend for it to sit on the ledge in the case? ;)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #305 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 14:49:49 »
Really easy to grind the edges to give it a bend for it to sit on the ledge in the case? ;)

Bro, you gotta be creative. The ledge can just be propped up by some other method, maybe weld some thick steel wires to the plate if it's too low.

But this is not anything that's difficult to manipulate..

I don't know if the PCB is going to be an issue.. But the plate is no problem..

Offline dirge

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 16:06:29 »
Mines here and it seems to fit my phantom! What problems do others have? Looks great. Wish it was winkeyless but hey I'm quite happy with it :)
Ill get some photos up tomorrow :)
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #307 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 16:10:40 »
^ Post of the Beast, dirge. ;D

How well does it work without a bent plate to support it on those ridges?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dirge

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 01:00:44 »
I was expecting without standoffs to have vertical movement and need to prop the back up. However simply not the case its a snug fit.
There is lateral movement due to no screws to fix the PCB/plate too, however there is sufficient friction there to prevent it moving during normal use.
When I had everything aligned the board overall could be out by a millimeter or two, no more. If you look the escape key is close to the right hand side of the hole while the arrow cluster is aligned closer to the left of its cutout. You need to really look hard to see this mind.
I do need to test it mind make sure nothing's shorted by the case and that its not my USB cable accounting for the standoff height. But first impressions are good. Apart from price which still stings lol.
Really needs anodizing mind.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #309 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 04:02:01 »
^Do you think you can post picture of the plate in the case?
I have no Filco so I can more or less picture the compatibility issue from what people explained here and there but this remains pretty vague

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #310 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 06:31:42 »
dirge, I think the case is already clear anodized. At least the ones from the first batch don't appear to be electrically conductive, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. But I agree with you, anodized another color would have been a nice option.

Perhaps you can use some cardboard "shims" around the edges to prevent lateral movement within the case? I don't know. Does it seem to "rock" within the case at all, due to the height on one side of the Teensy?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #311 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 07:30:15 »
Yep their clear anodized and rather thickly too

Offline dirge

« Reply #312 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 07:50:21 »
I'll get the multimeter on to confirm but I suspect your right, they wouldn't want it oxidizing.

I've got prices to change its colour, range from £30 - £60.  The £60 was for a hard anodize in dark gunmetal, used for underwater metals apparently... not testing that.

The lateral movement isn't really an issue, when the case is tightened you really have to push hard to get it to move, won't happen by accident.

My phantom rocked from escape to the bottom corner when in my plastic chinese case, with this case it does not happen.  Also in the filco case it was solid, because of standoffs and screws of course.  Also in the cheap plastic case the left control stuck because the case just wasn't the best fit.

Offline dirge

« Reply #313 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 10:07:39 »
http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/phantom-in-vortex-case-t4910.html

notice the escape is slightly to the right

and the arrow cluster is slightly to the left

Overall its like 1mm over the total case so not a bid deal at all, just some people are a bit mental.  I mean we've talked about the doubleshot patterns on the bottom of keycaps that can't be seen.

Small nick under the control key

I'd imagine that's quite lucky the rest of the case has scratches and little dings all over.  Just be aware of that, not 100% perfection.

If I press the escape hard it doesn't bend.  Control, no flex, arrow keys, no flex.

Vertical movement:
Pause/Break, it does flex, could maybe do with something to pack that out.  You need to press pretty hard and I don't imagine its ever going to be an issue for me.

Lateral movement:
left to right no movement unless you put a lot of effort in.
up and down, left side of the board, nothing you'd snap a switch first.
right side of the board, if you hold the home cluster you can move it up and down, its more of a circular motion with the 5 key as the center of the circle.

Some plastic shims cut to size could resolve these issues but day to day I don't think anyone would complain about the case.

Until/if LZ / Lifezone / http://lzlife.tistory.com/ can come to our rescue or someone else, its as good as it gets right now.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #314 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:03:29 »
JUST got my bottom plate... it is far superior to the FIRST batch.. They sent me a first iteration bottom plate on wednesday and I called for them to send me another one, because the first iteration plate is COMPLETELY a different color... It's GRAY as oposed to the sillver from the second batch..

And DIRGE I have a Nick in my top plate in the EXACT same place as you plate, must be a grain of sand in their belt in the same places LOL...

There are still CNC marks on the pieces, but they're not NEARLY as terrible as the first batch..

My Case has exactly 1.5mm of LEFT-RIGHT play, and Perfect UP-DOWN FIT....

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #315 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:11:58 »
I'll get the multimeter on to confirm but I suspect your right, they wouldn't want it oxidizing.

I've got prices to change its colour, range from £30 - £60.  The £60 was for a hard anodize in dark gunmetal, used for underwater metals apparently... not testing that.

The lateral movement isn't really an issue, when the case is tightened you really have to push hard to get it to move, won't happen by accident.

My phantom rocked from escape to the bottom corner when in my plastic chinese case, with this case it does not happen.  Also in the filco case it was solid, because of standoffs and screws of course.  Also in the cheap plastic case the left control stuck because the case just wasn't the best fit.
i know ive had 2 reanodized.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:22:57 »
OMG guys, there is certainly a flaw with this case design..

With out the feet, the bottom edges are completely flat against the table...  With it being almost 4.5 lbs put together... It's quite an exercise to pick up and move around the table by hand.... sigh.....   Here's hoping...those aluminum feet come eventually.  I'll put some rubber on there for now.

Make sure you guys use acid free adhesive rubber if you guys are gluing cork sheets or rubber sheets.

Overall.. A good buy for $150 USD Shipped..  :)

Offline dirge

« Reply #317 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:40:53 »
n1 Profosist :) sorry for the delay in getting back to you on that filco case, had a poweroutage at work and its been MENTAL since tues.... last night two of the guys were still going at 3:45am :(

Make sure you guys use acid free adhesive rubber if you guys are gluing cork sheets or rubber sheets.

I purchased some stupid high heel rubber grips for the base.  How do I check or do you have a link to a decent product?  mine was just £1 delivered so very cheap.  Just wanted to stop the base sliding and scratching.... not that it slides much its massive and heavy.

snow's 2 foot deep here now....

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #318 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:57:36 »
Ive got rubber stick on feet or egrips for my feet can show pics if anyonnes interested.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #319 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 14:27:03 »
n1 Profosist :) sorry for the delay in getting back to you on that filco case, had a poweroutage at work and its been MENTAL since tues.... last night two of the guys were still going at 3:45am :(

I purchased some stupid high heel rubber grips for the base.  How do I check or do you have a link to a decent product?  mine was just £1 delivered so very cheap.  Just wanted to stop the base sliding and scratching.... not that it slides much its massive and heavy.

snow's 2 foot deep here now....

It's a risk thing.. I'm just a worrier in that respect, So I make sure it says acid free.. But... to be honest.. if it does damage your exterior it'd be at the very bottom, so it's not the end.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #320 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 14:49:56 »
had some time with the aluminum case..

It's honestly a lot thicker than I thought it would be..

I'd describe the feel as, Typing into" a brick wall.... where as with the original plastic case the bottom out feel felt some what springy..

Overall, I definitely think aluminum cases should have a lifted CURVE on the sides, because it is very heavy to pick up by finger friction alone...  this would be where the MKC case design seems superior.

ALSO.. I noticed that the "keyboard metal plate" rises above the closing point by just a hair..

So, to all the kids purchasing this case.. DO NOT overtighten the screws.. Aluminum shatters very very easily...

In fact, after you put all the screws in and check you keyboard alightment... You should re-torque all the screws in an zig zag pattern to relieve any pressure "hot spots"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #321 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 15:23:00 »
bah... only complaint... too heavy and slippery to pick up...

I contend that the Vortex case would NOT be a very good bludgeoning weapon, because by the time you pick it up.. Your enemy will have probably hit you first..

Standard plastic keyboards would be better quick-draw weapons.  :))

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #322 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 16:48:28 »
:P :P :P :P :P

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #324 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 17:24:35 »

Looks good Profosist..

I'm thinking of getting mine done in Sunny Yellow..
just so you know there arnt that many anodizing colors you kinda restricted it not like powder coating....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #325 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 17:55:27 »

Looks good Profosist..

just so you know there arnt that many anodizing colors you kinda restricted it not like powder coating....

:'(  So Sunny Yellow unpossible?

I have too much of Blue and Red stuff already...

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #326 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 17:59:14 »

Looks good Profosist..

yellow may be possible but like yellow only variation you get is by different aluminums and how long yo uleave it in

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #327 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 18:00:58 »

Looks good Profosist..

yellow may be possible but like yellow only variation you get is by different aluminums and how long yo uleave it in

I looked through the possibilities on google... seems like they can only do a "mustard" yellow... No Sunny yellow.

sigh... Guess I'd just call it a day..

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #328 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 18:12:42 »

Looks good Profosist..

I looked through the possibilities on google... seems like they can only do a "mustard" yellow... No Sunny yellow.

yea its not a bright yellow

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #329 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 18:14:49 »

Looks good Profosist..

Is feng still sick.. I paypaled him and pmed him about the orange alu space bar, he hasn't gotten back to me.. idk if it's just cuz i'm annoying though  :'( :'(

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #330 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 18:18:20 »

Looks good Profosist..

Is feng still sick.. I paypaled him and pmed him about the orange alu space bar, he hasn't gotten back to me.. idk if it's just cuz i'm annoying though  :'( :'(
idk man been trying to get ahold of him on stuff too

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #331 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 18:31:38 »
There is a yellow that looks gold-like as well.

You would be better off getting it powdercoated as chances are they have a candy yellow that would look exactly how you want.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #332 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 18:34:56 »
There is a yellow that looks gold-like as well.

You would be better off getting it powdercoated as chances are they have a candy yellow that would look exactly how you want.

I just feel like that would defeat the purpose of having an aluminum case right?? ;D

Does anyone know of a Full 87 set of Sunny yellow PBT..

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #333 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 18:42:40 »

It's already anodized but they left out the additional step of color dye. I verified mine with a DMM.

And how is it possible you mounted it correctly with a flat plate? Can you take a quick shot of the internals of the bottom piece? I only skimmed all the new posts so maybe you already posted about this.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #334 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 18:50:46 »

It's already anodized but they left out the additional step of color dye. I verified mine with a DMM.

And how is it possible you mounted it correctly with a flat plate? Can you take a quick shot of the internals of the bottom piece? I only skimmed all the new posts so maybe you already posted about this.

Are you talking about the phantom? I don't think that mounts perfectly, it looks a bit recessed at the top in those pictures.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #335 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 19:15:45 »
I just feel like that would defeat the purpose of having an aluminum case right?? ;D

Does anyone know of a Full 87 set of Sunny yellow PBT..
Why?
With candy,  you would still see the grain, and you can feel the heft, and powdercoat is often just as tough as anodizing.

Normal powdercoating is done with sandblasting, however you can also have it etched, which preserves the looks of the metal and allows the powder to stick. I have even seen it done over top of normal paint.
The trick though is you need them to etch the surface instead of sandblasting it, and if they fail to etch (some will skip it for profit reasons), it can peel.

Feng has a top printed, yellow PBT 37key set on Ebay, he may be able to find a full etched set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Yellow-PBT-Top-Printed-37-Keyset-for-Cherry-MX-Keyboards-/230839615411?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item35bf1cffb3
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #336 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 19:18:53 »

Looks good Profosist..

He just got home a day or two ago from international flying with a cold, I'd give him a few more days.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #337 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 19:30:04 »

Looks good Profosist..

He just got home a day or two ago from international flying with a cold, I'd give him a few more days.
kkkk thanks for the update :D

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #338 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 19:31:35 »

Looks good Profosist..

This quote is huge! FYI I'm not his spokesperson, but anxiously awaiting his return to good health as well, because I want the MKC board! :D Glad I didn't buy one of these, would have cost too much to go find a filco then re-anodize it heh.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #339 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 19:56:34 »

Looks good Profosist..

This quote is huge! FYI I'm not his spokesperson, but anxiously awaiting his return to good health as well, because I want the MKC board! :D Glad I didn't buy one of these, would have cost too much to go find a filco then re-anodize it heh.

You can do QFR. Confirmed fit. except the cabling issue in which case you need to make your own cable.

If you're talking about that very rectangular "no slope" mkc board, it's anti-stylish.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #340 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 19:58:39 »

Looks good Profosist..

You can do QFR. Confirmed fit. except the cabling issue in which case you need to make your own cable.

If you're talking about that very rectangular "no slope" mkc board, it's anti-stylish.

I like it 'square'. But really, I've been looking for something TKL, green led, and green aluminum case. For that price, it fits the bill very nicely. If I need to get more stylish, I'll fork over the cash for a real Korean custom.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #341 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 20:00:45 »

Looks good Profosist..

I like it 'square'. But really, I've been looking for something TKL, green led, and green aluminum case. For that price, it fits the bill very nicely. If I need to get more stylish, I'll fork over the cash for a real Korean custom.

It's not about the cost.. It's about HOW long will you wait.... few hundred dollars, chump change.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #342 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 20:02:03 »

Looks good Profosist..

It's not about the cost.. It's about HOW long will you wait.... few hundred dollars, chump change.

True. Oh well, whatever happens will happen. I'm going to stop gunking up this thread with my jibber jabber.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #343 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 20:26:54 »
Had some more time with "aluminum"

I think my hands have been accustomed to the less rigid vibrational response of a regular Plastic case..

I am making 3-5% more mistakes in my typing games with the aluminum case..

It feels as if my hands are not receiving the same "hit-confirm" responses at the end of each word.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #344 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 23:21:36 »
I just got one of these in the mail today.

TLDR version:
MUCH better than the first, but there are still some caveats. I feel it's worth the money, but read the rest before you consider one.

Long version:
So, after seeing the first batch and my recent issues with KBT (who is working with me on the problems), I decided to give this a shot.

Initially I was dead set on the MKC, however after getting some feedback on MKC prices I had to rethink things. When I first started my quest for an aluminum keyboard, there wasn't a lot of choice and prices were high. Then the Vortex and MKC went back off the market.  Today though, we have the LZ-GH coming, Vortex has redone their case, MKC is readying to release an entire keyboard at a price right in the middle, and less then the group buy price for the MKC case.  It's hard to justify nearly $400 just for a case at this point when you have other options for less money.

After hearing some feedback on this case being better in the latest batch, the price seemed a bit more justifiable, and figured if I wasn't happy, I could fix some of it and/or resell it. At worst I might lose a little money at which point I could buy a different case or keyboard or simply keep it and toss in a CM QFR for a spare. It was still better than $400 for the MKC. Don;t get me wrong, the MKC case is nice, but it's lot of money.

A note about standoffs.
This case doesn't use them, and if you study how it was designed, it doesn't need them. In fact if you look, even the Filco hardly even uses the ones it has. The Filco case is plastic and provides very little support to the plate except the back edge and a few standoffs, the aluminum case braces the plate entirely along both the front and the rear, adding extra stiffness. Anger over the lack of standoffs is unfounded as this is actually a better design from a structural standpoint. There is a mm or two side to side the keyboard can move during assembly but I also don't see this as bad as it allows you to center the board. Once done, it won't move.

The good:
The fit is good! There is no bowing on the sides, the sides are flush and the front and rear is almost perfectly flush. The cord even fit in perfect. Amazingly, the key spacing is BETTER than the stock Filco case(!), I was blown away. Every key is almost perfectly spaced, the F keys are a little too far forward (1/4mm?), but you can't see it unless you look for it, the rest are perfectly centered. It's still better than the Filco. The finish is also not nearly as rough as I expected either. It looks sandblasted in the pictures, but in person it's more satin, it reminds me of 1000 grit sandpaper.

The bad...
Obviously, you probably know that feet did not come with it, however, mine also came without any hardware. Seriously, I got two plates and nothing else. I don't know who is to blame here for this. One of the inner boxes had some tape come lose and the hardware may have slid out or a box was missed or it just didn't have any, but no hardware was in there. At any rate, it only cost me $4, so it's not a big deal really, just a minor inconvenience.

So how is it to use?
It actually reminds me a lot of the Model M (which is fantastic!). If you have used one, you know what I mean when I say they don't flex or vibrate or wiggle around. It's like the switches are dead bolted to your desk. Super stiff, all you feel is the key actuation, no moving or vibrating. A side bonus is that it dampens the noise much more than expected, in fact I had plans on spraying the inside with rubberized undercoating for more sound dampening, but it's not necessary at all.

Is it worth it?
Well, it would be nice if it came with screws and feet, however I can say that it's a much better value than it was. If they ever ship the proper feet, it will be a good deal. The fit and finish has been greatly improved. For me, yes, it was worth it, but I'm not a teenager working fast food. If you are, stick with a stock case.

I had plans to paint it, but it looks pretty good as it is so I plan to wait until I have my Red Alert key set installed (in the mail), then decide what to do. It's too darn cold outside to paint anyhow (well below freezing).

Tips...
The screws you want are panhead (flat), allen keyed (2mm), M3-.50 x 10  (m3 diameter, .5 thread, 10mm long), at least those are what worked for me. I got mine for 25cents each at a Chicks Do-It-Center, you need 9 of them, but 8 would work. I grabbed some 6mm long ones as well and used them to pre-run the holes, which to be honest, could have been a bit cleaner. A few were a bit tight, others were fine.

Assemble it all loosely, then use the screws to pull the case halves together evenly so you have a thin gap all around. There should be enough pressure on the plate at that point to keep it from moving. You will probably feel this point as much as see it. Using your fingers to pinch the case, just tighten the screws so they are snug, but not tight. I worked from the middle out, in criss-crossing pattern. There is no need to clamp it down for dear life, it won't go anywhere and you should get a nice even line all the way around.

Also, get some sort of feet and resist lifting it, particularly if you have a glass desk, this thing is HEAVY and if it slips, it will do some damage. The empty case is around 3.5 pounds, add another one and a half for keyboard and you are talking a 5 pound chunk of metal. Just dropping an end just 1inch onto your finger will show you how much mass it's packing.

Potato cam pics showing alignments:

More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:16:07 »
Great review Leslieann. How did you manage to close the two shells together with the ferrite bead? I'm one of the first ones that got this case from the first batch, and mine doesn't close with the ferrite bead from the cable.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #346 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:38:18 »
You could just take a hammer and gently tap the choke.  It will shatter into a few pieces without any fuss. You could wrap it in a cloth first...

I haven't noticed any ill effects from mine after doing this.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #347 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 02:57:12 »
Great review Leslieann. How did you manage to close the two shells together with the ferrite bead? I'm one of the first ones that got this case from the first batch, and mine doesn't close with the ferrite bead from the cable.
It fit right in under the board with no changes. I literally took the Filco apart and just transferred it straight over.
I'm pretty sure that the bottom tray is a bit different inside from the first batch, that or my bead was smaller (MJ2). If/when I paint it, I'll take some pics of the inside, including the bead and how the board sits.

I wasn't sure if I should bother posting this or not, and considering how maligned this case and Vortex has been (myself included), I wanted to give it a fair review after it was done. That was partly why there are no inside pictures, I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. We already heard the second gen had straighter lines, and I would have just gave that comment a second (or third), but when I saw the key caps line up better than the stock case, I had to say something and it just sort of went from there.

The more I use it, the more I'm impressed with how it feels, the best way to describe it, is crisp. You don't realize how much flex is in a keyboard, or how much it effects the feel, until you try a more solid one and this is about as solid as they come.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #348 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:13:48 »
It fit right in under the board with no changes. I literally took the Filco apart and just transferred it straight over.
I'm pretty sure that the bottom tray is a bit different inside from the first batch, that or my bead was smaller (MJ2). If/when I paint it, I'll take some pics of the inside, including the bead and how the board sits.

I wasn't sure if I should bother posting this or not, and considering how maligned this case and Vortex has been (myself included), I wanted to give it a fair review after it was done. That was partly why there are no inside pictures, I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. We already heard the second gen had straighter lines, and I would have just gave that comment a second (or third), but when I saw the key caps line up better than the stock case, I had to say something and it just sort of went from there.

The more I use it, the more I'm impressed with how it feels, the best way to describe it, is crisp. You don't realize how much flex is in a keyboard, or how much it effects the feel, until you try a more solid one and this is about as solid as they come.

I believe the solidity isn't in removing the "flex", rather, it's because the whole board is heavier now, and sitting completely flat "huge contact area" on top of the desk..

There was very little flex in a plate mounted board to begin with...

my only complaint was the "finish" isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be. :-X

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #349 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:13:53 »
Dont paint your case, powercoat maybe. I may be doing anodizing GBs in the future which would be the bes method for coloring aluminum.