Author Topic: Ergodox Key type  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Vimto

Ergodox Key type
« on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 09:26:11 »
Hi,

Going to order the Infinity Ergodox from massdrop.
Deciding between the black DSA and the clear DCS keycaps
What would those of you with experience of the ergodox recommend?

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: Ergodox Key type
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 09:28:38 »
I don't have an Ergodox, but I'd just like to state that you're going to get a whole host of varying opinions. It's almost entirely subjective. Why not avoid buying keysets altogether and ask someone to loan you a set of each? Or maybe try going for a cheap used set of each to try out.

Offline Vimto

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 09:51:59 »
I'm not sure how easy it is to get sets for the ergodox, and would like to hear people's opinion even if they're conflicting.
I usually find more information is better than less.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 13:08:16 »

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 13:31:31 »
I use Gateron blanks (which I think are OEM) and then DSA modifiers keys. It actually feels perfect.

I used DSA for a while and hated it.

I would say just use the profile you already like for other boards. You can make it work with an Ergodox.

Offline steve.v

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 16:35:09 »
DSA is flat; Which I like. Less hinderance moving up and down the rows.

Offline Kliwon

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 20:24:48 »
grab SA from another GB
I think, they are very good at ergodox

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 20:28:59 »
I use Gateron blanks (which I think are OEM) and then DSA modifiers keys. It actually feels perfect.

IIRC, Gateron is Cherry profile
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 20:41:44 »
Neither.

Davkol's ergodox was the inspiration for my layout. Even though the Ergodox has less premade keysets than other layouts, it becomes like an extension of your body once you pick the angle and height of each individual key according to your particular hand movement patterns.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 21:45:29 »
At some point I talked to Massdrop about picking the optimal DCS keycaps for the Ergodox, and I believe they tweaked them compared to their earlier sets.

In general, Ergodox with DCS is much better than with DSA or SA, especially putting extra-tall caps on the otherwise unreachable 1u thumb keys.

Offline Vimto

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 04:30:33 »
At some point I talked to Massdrop about picking the optimal DCS keycaps for the Ergodox, and I believe they tweaked them compared to their earlier sets.

In general, Ergodox with DCS is much better than with DSA or SA, especially putting extra-tall caps on the otherwise unreachable 1u thumb keys.

Awesome news, thanks. Now to decide between Clear DCS and Black DCS. Erring towards clear

Offline roadkill54

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 12:41:41 »
I'm personally not a fan of clears but you can't really notice a shine develop on them so that could be a plus.  Massdrop has started to carry "ergodoxian" modifiers to keycap GB's. I picked up a set of granite with all the ergo caps I need. That is the route I would recommend going.

Offline againer

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 06:51:03 »
I did buy my ergodox with dsa but did not like it. Now I use DCS and love them.