Author Topic: ALPS to MX sliders anybody?  (Read 2831 times)

Offline billm

ALPS to MX sliders anybody?
« on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:32:23 »
Anybody have an experience with these ALPS to MX sliders as found on shapeways? I'm considering picking up a set and appreciate any feedback. Thx

https://www.shapeways.com/product/45JMHRP2K/alps-to-mx-70-stems-5?li=search-results-1&optionId=56261662
If it's not ALPS it's crap!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: ALPS to MX sliders anybody?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:34:59 »
Those are mine.  The ones I've printed work, but I don't know about the long term durability.  My hope is to get them injection molded in POM at some point.

Offline billm

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:48:06 »
Oh hey I recognize the name. Yeah I wonder about the material. It's nylon right? What makes you think they might not be too durable?
If it's not ALPS it's crap!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 20:57:26 »
Oh hey I recognize the name. Yeah I wonder about the material. It's nylon right? What makes you think they might not be too durable?

3D printed parts don't have the same durability as injection molded or cast parts.  I've seen some 3D printed stuff break when laterally stressed or wear down and end up outside of tolerance when used repeatedly.

It's great for prototyping and low stress stuff, but not always stuff you'll use regularly.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 04:04:50 »
Those are mine.  The ones I've printed work, but I don't know about the long term durability.  My hope is to get them injection molded in POM at some point.

I have heard they can make the keys quite wobbly, is this true?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 19:33:00 »
I wouldn't say they make them quite wobbly. They're no more wobbly than MX, IMO.  They make them sit taller which can make you notice things a little more.  You don't really have many options for Alps though and you have no options if you want a custom layout.  The whole point of this was to make more options available.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 21:59:53 »
I wouldn't say they make them quite wobbly. They're no more wobbly than MX, IMO.  They make them sit taller which can make you notice things a little more.  You don't really have many options for Alps though and you have no options if you want a custom layout.  The whole point of this was to make more options available.

I see, thank's for the insight. I'll definitely pick up one of these sometime in the future. I'd like to replace my thin ABS doubleshots on my FK-2001 to some thick PBT doubleshots/dyesub in the future, hopefully in white to match the aesthetic of the keyboard ;)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 22:14:39 »
Just keep in mind that they're not as durable as a cat or injection molded part.  I'd love to get them done as injection molded parts, but have no idea where to start.

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 00:20:13 »
Just be aware that an FDM printer would likely have problems with these at the outset given the tolerances here. SLA like shapeways is a must.

Case in pointt, there is a LOT of shaving that has to be done from printing these at even  0.1mm resolution. I tried ABS and PLA, but all of the corners needed additional trimming, even taking the size down 2% to 98% scale. Vapor smoothing helped some.

Now, given the design, there is no reason why they cannot be silicone molded.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 06:45:05 »
Extremely interesting concept. You could also make similar converters for Topre am I correct? If there was a way to minimize the height of these there would be a huge market for them imo

Offline jaffers

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 06:54:35 »
Extremely interesting concept. You could also make similar converters for Topre am I correct? If there was a way to minimize the height of these there would be a huge market for them imo

They already exist http://www.shapeways.com/product/T69XQA4Q3/topre-to-mx-slider-v2-0beta

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 06:56:25 »
i feel stupid for never noticing these guys existed