Author Topic: [IC]WP MAYA  (Read 5649 times)

Offline Fancy-Chance

• Formerly Fancy-Chance
  • SATURN STUDIO
[IC]WP MAYA
« on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 20:50:25 »
Inspiration

The mysterious Mayan civilization was born in the tropical rainforest of the Americas. Although it was in the Stone Age, it has made great achievements in the fields of mathematics, architecture, art, astronomy and calendar. The colors use stone gray and rainforest green, the Alpha area uses the Native American language Cherokee.The number area uses the Mayan base 20 number system.For easy identification, Latin and Arabic numerals are printed on the side.

Kits

292327-0

292329-1

292331-2

292333-3

292335-4

292337-5

Render

By Matrix Falcon
292339-6

292341-7

292343-8

By Space 80 Apolo
292345-9

292347-10

292349-11

292351-12

292353-13

292355-14

Cable
292357-15

292359-16

292361-17

292363-18

Print

Height: WP (WDA)
Material: ABS (color advantage, no need to worry about oiling, the surface has been coated)
After being injected with ABS, the legend is printed by heat-treated pad printing.  After the printing process,  it is UV coated on the surface again to enhance the colour endurance.

292365-19

Else

1. Metal kecaps
2. Vendor
3. Sample photos

« Last Edit: Wed, 19 October 2022, 04:36:34 by Fancy-Chance »

Offline Zetina

• Big bird
    • Instagram
Re: [IC]WP MAYA
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 21:11:10 »
The concept of the Mayan civilization is cool and something I would like to see more of in the future. Still, I think it's important to point out that the Mayan numbers aren't related in any way to the Cherokee language (which is the one used for the legends of the alphas) if you plan on doing a set themed around the Mayan civilization I would recommend doing some better research and removing the Cherokee alphas as they aren't related to the theme at all.

Offline dvllpxe

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 21:13:22 »
cool stuff! id like to see the font size reduced, and latin alphabet removed from the sides of the keycaps. id rather have an option to have a latin alphabet. keep it up!

Offline dvllpxe

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 21:15:01 »
The concept of the Mayan civilization is cool and something I would like to see more of in the future. Still, I think it's important to point out that the Mayan numbers aren't related in any way to the Cherokee language (which is the one used for the legends of the alphas) if you plan on doing a set themed around the Mayan civilization I would recommend doing some better research and removing the Cherokee alphas as they aren't related to the theme at all.

i agree. i dig the theme and idea but i think the truer to mayan history would make this set soar

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 21:31:59 »
Yeah, don’t do Cherokee for a Mayan-themed set. And if you’re doing Cherokee, your current layout is missing roughly half the syllabary. It’s not like Latin or Cyrillic script where the shifted and unshifted characters are just two forms of the same character; a mono-symbol layout makes zero sense here.

Offline Fancy-Chance

• Formerly Fancy-Chance
  • SATURN STUDIO
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 22:34:34 »
Yes, the Cherokee themselves are not tied to the Mayans.
According to legend, some of the Cherokee symbols were modeled after the Latin alphabet, and George Guess had seen English writing, but did not know how to write it. The Maya is a civilization that disappeared from the Americas, and the Cherokee is also a small language that is disappearing in the Americas. It is thus integrated.

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 23:48:33 »
According to legend, some of the Cherokee symbols were modeled after the Latin alphabet, and George Guess had seen English writing, but did not know how to write it. The Maya is a civilization that disappeared from the Americas, and the Cherokee is also a small language that is disappearing in the Americas. It is thus integrated.

I thought this was a really funny ****post until I realized you’re the OP.
This is not the justification you apparently think it is.

Offline craftbondpro

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 October 2022, 02:54:15 »

I thought this was a really funny ****post until I realized you’re the OP.
This is not the justification you apparently think it is.

Also, not sure what you means by "disappeared from the Americas" when there are still considered to be around 6 million Maya people alive today and their language is still used.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 October 2022, 10:20:49 »
Which is why you shouldn't use Cherokee script for a Mayan-themed set.  If you want to do a Cherokee set, there's a path to doing that respectfully, but this isn't remotely close to that.

According to legend, some of the Cherokee symbols were modeled after the Latin alphabet, and George Guess had seen English writing, but did not know how to write it.
First, it's not "according to legend."  It's "according to historical records from the 1820s."  This isn't some sort of story wrapped in mysticism and legend; it was a real and concrete effort by Sequoyah (George Guess / George Gist would have been a name he used when interacting with colonists, probably not the one he used most himself) to create a writing system for the Cherokee people.  It is true that he could not read or write English initially, but he was able to see the value of written language from the European traders. While his efforts to create a Cherokee script system did repurpose some Latin symbols, assigning them to new sounds and syllables, the capital / lowercase relationship was not maintained.  There are 85 characters in the modern Cherokee syllabary, and your mono-symbol layout only includes about 34. It's a disservice to the history, the culture, and the writing system.

The Maya is a civilization that disappeared from the Americas, and the Cherokee is also a small language that is disappearing in the Americas. It is thus integrated.
As others have pointed out, the descendants of the Mayans still live in Central America, and several languages descended from Mayan are still spoken.  Cherokee is indeed a less-spoken language compared to the 1820s, but there are considerable efforts to keep it from "disappearing" among the Cherokee communities. 

However, even if this comparison was a good one (it is not), it's a rather incomprehensible argument for substituting one script system for another.  It would be like advertising a keycap set as being based on Indian history while using Kana or Cangjie sublegends.  Or doing a set about Shaka Zulu, but incorporating Egyptian hieroglyphs.  Simply being on the same continent doesn't make one language or script system a replacement for another.

I would instead do a bit more research on the Mayan Hieroglyphic Script system, including modern efforts to bring it to unicode:
https://omniglot.com/writing/mayan.htm
https://www.neh.gov/humanities/2018/winter/feature/texting-in-ancient-mayan-hieroglyphs

However, I would not just try making your own keyboard layout based on these hieroglyphs.  I would leave that up to speakers and researchers of Mayan-descendent languages (like Yucatec and Tzotzil). The last thing they need is some J. Random Foreigner slapping their ancestors' symbols all over a keycap set without any consideration of how that script might actually be used.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 October 2022, 11:07:26 by NoPunIn10Did »

Offline stidal

• milo#3939
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 October 2022, 11:46:33 »
was going to comment about the cherokee alphas, but nopun and the others already did a great job explaining why it doesn't make sense here. echo to all of the points made previously. scrap the alphas and/or adjust the theme, and consult with native speakers of some of the descendent mayan languages or cherokee accordingly
transition tkl // aksara ce // bully // valhalla // voyager // rs60 // adiuvare // ciel60 // jules // prime e // ut47.2 // sequence // bumper // q1 // gaff60

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 October 2022, 16:33:20 »

The Jewish people have been oppressed for centuries, and the Navajo is also a small language that is disappearing in the America due to oppression. It is thus integrated.  :p

In all seriousness, your comment reads more like a joke than a serious response. Just because two things are "disappearing" does not connect the theme to the alphas. Switch to a Mayan or Latin script. Also, who is the manufacturer for this set, and is it pbt or abs?
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 October 2022, 16:35:18 by Cylent »

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 24 April 2023, 01:32:09 »
OEM profile ABS keycaps with pad printing, that's a no-go to start with, not even going to debate the mayan+cherokee mixup.

Offline Elendil-7

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 April 2023, 19:26:51 »
Wow, this is... not it, mate. Back to the drawing board!