Author Topic: How do the gray Matias switches compare to the white?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline supamesican

How do the gray Matias switches compare to the white?
« on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 20:59:30 »
I want a new board for the office, but eh I don't want to be that guy with the liudtaf click board. And also I love white Alps and white Alps clones like the white Matias. Are the gray ones basically the same as the white but without the noise?

Offline Kavik

Re: How do the gray Matias switches compare to the white?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 22:40:43 »
I believe the gray ones are just retooled. Matias quiet clicks are the ones that are silenced, but I don't think there is a color difference in the sliders to distinguish them.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 22:47:02 »
I don't know why they are called "quiet click" when they are simply a cloned dampened alps tactile switch.  They feel similar to dampened cream alps but, being simplified, aren't quite as nice.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2019, 22:52:40 by pixelpusher »

Offline Riverman

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 13:05:03 »
I don't know why they are called "quiet click" when they are simply a cloned dampened alps tactile switch.  They feel similar to dampened cream alps but, being simplified, aren't quite as nice.
I totally agree.  They really suck compared to the switches in an AEK II.  I bought a Matias keyboard thinking it would be similar, and all I could think of was how crappy it felt compared to my old Apple.  For what they are, though, they're decent-feeling new switches, but unreliable from what I keep hearing.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 01:02:23 »
Compared to white? Quieter and a bit less tactility.

I love what they're trying to do but they just aren't as good as actual Alps, I REALLY want to like them but I think the housing lets them down (the metal parts move during soldering leading to inconsistent feel and sound).

Best advice, buy an old Alps board in good condition you will be happier. Worst case, make sure it's an actual Matias board, they seem to have a better grasp on quality control than others using their switches but still not as good as the originals.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 12:08:58 »
I want a new board for the office, but eh I don't want to be that guy with the liudtaf click board. And also I love white Alps and white Alps clones like the white Matias. Are the gray ones basically the same as the white but without the noise?

I'd say the big differences between the switches are the feel, noise and the key travel - the grey (quiet) switches have noticeably less key travel than the white (clicks) switches, which I think is too bad, but I still like them overall.  I find them very satisfying to type on at work, however they still make a good bit of noise. I put a dish towel underneath the KB and try not to pound too hard on the keys, as I work in a very quiet office and am self conscious about making KB noise.