Author Topic: KBDfans' new tactile switch  (Read 20617 times)

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
Re: KBDfans' new tactile switch
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 09:12:45 »
I have been typing on these r2’s for a couple days now. Stock unlubed, they are definitely tactile but much more bearable compared to the harshness of the box royals. I have never tried Hp’s (yet) nor zeal v2’s. I think for the price and a little tlc will make this a pretty good tactile switch. The weighting is perfect for me. But yeah as someone mentioned there is an inconsistency with the switch top wobble some are worse than others. Definitely need to film these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Telstar

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 15:49:37 »
I have been typing on these r2’s for a couple days now. Stock unlubed, they are definitely tactile but much more bearable compared to the harshness of the box royals.

What harshness?

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 16:55:56 »
I have been typing on these r2’s for a couple days now. Stock unlubed, they are definitely tactile but much more bearable compared to the harshness of the box royals. I have never tried Hp’s (yet) nor zeal v2’s. I think for the price and a little tlc will make this a pretty good tactile switch. The weighting is perfect for me. But yeah as someone mentioned there is an inconsistency with the switch top wobble some are worse than others. Definitely need to film these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just to clarify in regards to wobble we are talking about the stem having a bit of play in the housing?

Offline Telstar

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 18:46:04 »
Just to clarify in regards to wobble we are talking about the stem having a bit of play in the housing?

Unfortunately talking about upper casing wobble, which makes also noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndT_TTQLflI
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 April 2019, 18:48:27 by Telstar »

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 21:55:53 »

Unfortunately talking about upper casing wobble, which makes also noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndT_TTQLflI
Oh ok thanks for that video. So maybe the switch still needs some refinement.

Offline Telstar

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 08:19:26 »
Yeah, wait for the next iteration or two :)

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 09:02:35 »
Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree wholeheartedly with the notion that T1s are wobbly. They are on par with, if not better, than most conventional Cherry style switches.

Here's a demonstration:

Naturally, adding switch films will reduce what little wobble they have, sure.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2019, 09:06:27 by jagger27 »

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 09:26:03 »
Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree wholeheartedly with the notion that T1s are wobbly. They are on par with, if not better, than most conventional Cherry style switches.

Here's a demonstration:

Naturally, adding switch films will reduce what little wobble they have, sure.
How do you like them?

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 09:34:38 »
I'm head over heals for them. They're my new favs. That said, I do have some films on the way. As a middleweight tactile switch, I don't think there's a better value.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 15 April 2019, 15:20:25 »
I'm head over heals for them. They're my new favs. That said, I do have some films on the way. As a middleweight tactile switch, I don't think there's a better value.
Wow thats great to hear. I am not overly picky nor do I have experience with a ton of switches so I think I'd probably like them. To use the films you have to disassemble the switches right? (remove the to), which can't be done if they are in a keyboard with a plate?

Offline duxbridge

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 21:04:21 »
...and now they are extinct! KBDFans have removed all references to the T1 switch on their website as part of the fake Tealio saga:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/bk6mvz/apologize_to_everyone/

Unlikely to be produced ever again...

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 14:24:45 »
...and now they are extinct! KBDFans have removed all references to the T1 switch on their website as part of the fake Tealio saga:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/bk6mvz/apologize_to_everyone/

I noticed that, and I sent them an email and he said its out of stock. When I asked if they would make a return he ignored me.

That sucks, it makes the whole thing a bit fishier. Any info anywhere on exactly why? I am glad I got a board with them but shoot now its back to the drawing board for my go to switch.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 14:54:24 »

I noticed that, and I sent them an email and he said its out of stock. When I asked if they would make a return he ignored me.

That sucks, it makes the whole thing a bit fishier. Any info anywhere on exactly why? I am glad I got a board with them but shoot now its back to the drawing board for my go to switch.

Someone found a link to buy the switches from the actual manufacturer, unbranded of course but if you really want them it is possible but MOQ is 1k or 10k depending on which listing you find.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 15:02:23 »

Someone found a link to buy the switches from the actual manufacturer, unbranded of course but if you really want them it is possible but MOQ is 1k or 10k depending on which listing you find.

Yeah thats way beyond my need. Care to share the link out of curiosity? Seems like its the same company making fake Zealios? Seems like it has to be connected somehow for them to stop production on these T1's.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 16:42:23 »
Yeah, I've been following this on Reddit and elsewhere.

Apparently, the T1s were being made at the same factory as the fake Zealio/Tealio switches.

Some people also claimed evidence that the T1s were using unlicensed Zealio components. (Not sure if V1 or V2). There may have been unlicensed Gateron components in the T1s.

I was paying close attention to this because I had an unfulfilled order for a testing quantity of Stealios and T1s at the time this all erupted.

I had to cancel the order, because if those switches are pulled from production, then a testing quantity of them is not useful to me - I was trying to see which KBDFans switches to use for a board.

(Although it might have been better to go ahead with the order. T1s and even the fake Zealios (Stealios) have become a novelty item overnight. Who knows, the T1s might to go $3/switch.)

Regardless of whether the T1s contained unlicensed parts or not, it is said that Wei at KBDFans pulled the T1s out of production as a goodwill gesture to Zeal.

If I were KBDFans, I would be busy setting up the new factory to produce the successor to T1s. There's clearly massive demand for a medium-weight tactile for $0.55.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 17:05:22 »
Yeah, I've been following this on Reddit and elsewhere.

Apparently, the T1s were being made at the same factory as the fake Zealio/Tealio switches.

Some people also claimed evidence that the T1s were using unlicensed Zealio components. (Not sure if V1 or V2). There may have been unlicensed Gateron components in the T1s.

I was paying close attention to this because I had an unfulfilled order for a testing quantity of Stealios and T1s at the time this all erupted.

I had to cancel the order, because if those switches are pulled from production, then a testing quantity of them is not useful to me - I was trying to see which KBDFans switches to use for a board.

(Although it might have been better to go ahead with the order. T1s and even the fake Zealios (Stealios) have become a novelty item overnight. Who knows, the T1s might to go $3/switch.)

Regardless of whether the T1s contained unlicensed parts or not, it is said that Wei at KBDFans pulled the T1s out of production as a goodwill gesture to Zeal.

If I were KBDFans, I would be busy setting up the new factory to produce the successor to T1s. There's clearly massive demand for a medium-weight tactile for $0.55.

Great thanks for the write up. Yeah your probably right, I assume he will figure out a way to get them made somewhere else. They are excellent switches imo.

I remember reading something that Gateron was going to make a comment, not sure if that was true or just fud.

I guess we will see how this whole thing shakes down. For me just getting back into the game finding KBDfans was awesome, great source for quality stuff that doesn't take a year to get. Too bad all the drama.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 17:18:56 »
Yeah. KBDFans should have taken more effort to detach T1s from any Gateron or other production chain, even if they used some of the same component designs.

And if they wanted to manufacturer their own Zealio V1s, like they were doing, they should have just made a clone switch.

Look at what they did with Aliaz. Made their own Silent Brown/Zilent-type switch.

Would have been more difficult initially, but would have saved them so much trouble.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 17:35:40 »
Yeah. KBDFans should have taken more effort to detach T1s from any Gateron or other production chain, even if they used some of the same component designs.

And if they wanted to manufacturer their own Zealio V1s, like they were doing, they should have just made a clone switch.

Look at what they did with Aliaz. Made their own Silent Brown/Zilent-type switch.

Would have been more difficult initially, but would have saved them so much trouble.

Is Aliaz their switch? I have some in a tester and don't know what to think about them. The bottom out is weird. Is it similar to how a Zilent is, its not really for me. I could see it helping sound though where that was an issue

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 11:33:50 »
Yes, I think Aliaz is a Gateron switch commissioned specially by KBDFans. They wanted a 'Zilent' style switch, but weren't stocking Zilents.

It's somewhere in between a Gateron Brown and Cherry Clear in tactility, I'm led to understand. Certainly less tactile than Zilents. It's more like 'someone put glue in my Gateron Browns' tactility.

I have a small number of Aliaz 70G that I am going to test soon. I think your description of the switch is accurate, if my own memory serves. Aliaz lack tactility compared to other switches, so I went for the 70G weight instead of 60G because it is reputed to feel more tactile.

They do bottom-out funny, IIRC. I'll test them soon.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 13:12:42 »
There is a casual discussion of the T1 switches beginning at about 5 minutes into this video:

although it is not very detailed.

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 16:04:41 »
I have both Zilent and Aliaz switches in various weights and they are pretty comparable in my opinion. Very tactile and very silent. The T1s are also very tactile but they are a little noisy due to the casing. I installed Gateron black tops on mine which eliminated the rattle and now they sound amazing. Switch films would also do the trick.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 21:37:57 »
Yes, I think Aliaz is a Gateron switch commissioned specially by KBDFans. They wanted a 'Zilent' style switch, but weren't stocking Zilents.

It's somewhere in between a Gateron Brown and Cherry Clear in tactility, I'm led to understand. Certainly less tactile than Zilents. It's more like 'someone put glue in my Gateron Browns' tactility.

I have a small number of Aliaz 70G that I am going to test soon. I think your description of the switch is accurate, if my own memory serves. Aliaz lack tactility compared to other switches, so I went for the 70G weight instead of 60G because it is reputed to feel more tactile.

They do bottom-out funny, IIRC. I'll test them soon.
Yeah you're right it does feel like brown tactility level. It's a strange feel, its hard to even feel the tactility if you go fast. I agree with you about the weighting, I just have one of each weight, but as you go up it does seem like tactile feel goes up a bit.

The bottom out reminds me of O-rings, but I tried those like 5 years ago so may be way off there. Thanks for the video.