Author Topic: Should you lube U4 Boba's?  (Read 17257 times)

Offline certifiedBOSS

Should you lube U4 Boba's?
« on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 11:32:56 »
I saw a post on Reddit saying that you shouldn't lube U4's, but if you still want to lube them you should use thinner lube than 205g0, is this true or is it just fine to lube them with 205g0?

Offline powwu

• Discord
Re: Should you lube U4 Boba's?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 11:35:08 »
Gazzew (the designer for u4s) recommends leaving them stock. You can lube them if you want, nothing's stopping you

edit: if you are lubing them, I'd recommend a thinner grease like tribosys 3203 or 3204.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2020, 13:24:12 by powwu »

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 11:36:16 »
I always lube springs no matter what. Sounds better.

Offline certifiedBOSS

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 11:40:48 »
I might just be biased of wanting to lube them cause this is my first build and I want to try my hand at lubing :D

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 11:55:41 »
I don't see why you couldn't i am waiting on my boba U4's. lubricating moving parts yes sir probably gonna lube them with 3204 with 45G spring swap.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 15:42:01 »
I have been experimenting with them. They don't take to lube as well as other switches. The improvement is more mild / minimal.

I think the only real justification for seriously lubing the switch parts is if you are using lighter than stock springs, and need to thereby help the action along. I find that this helps with 55 G U4 Bobas, for example.

I definitely lube all the springs for any type of Boba switch, and the distributor recommends this as well. It makes a difference and is simply better. Definitely 100% lube the springs.

Offline Georen

• Dispatch Cables
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 08:39:15 »
it looks as though my latest batch of Boba U4 silent tactiles have lube on the base of the spring ... has anyone else noticed that? Do you think it's still necessary to lube the top of the spring?
Just curious about anyone else's experience.

-G

Offline Pyroo

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 09:22:14 »
If you want to tune the tactility or want them to be smoother, go for it
Bunny enthusiast

Offline DrGravy3

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 07:52:13 »
I lubed mine and I did notice a slight difference in sound and feel, however i would recommend lubing only the springs to eliminate any ping, the rest of the switch is not worth lubing in my opinion.

Offline Volny

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 05:00:20 »
As it happens I got a bunch of U4's in the mail today. I found them gravelly, but found this improved with lubing (and also longer springs). I lubed quite liberally: the rails, the stem pole, the housing....basically everything but the tactile legs and leaf. They definitely feel better to me now.

Though having said that, I think the best answer to this sort of question is to simply do it to a couple of switches and compare yourself. Preferably blind. Mark the lubed ones with a dot, place both lubed and unlubed randomly on a switch tester, cover them with keycaps, and try to forget which ones are which. Then decide which you prefer, and take the keycaps off to see which ones they were. It helps to write down a score out of 10 for each switch - this forces you to keep things concrete so you're not just just coming up with vague impressions as you go around in circles pressing them all.

There are too many factors involved to be able to reliably rely on other people's advice. Maybe (probably) they will lube differently to you, maybe they enjoy a different feel to you, maybe they prioritise/ignore different results to you (sound profile, loudness, smoothness, pre-travel reduction, bottom-out feel, etc.)