Author Topic: Pingless but strong spring advice please  (Read 1150 times)

Offline KHAANNN

Pingless but strong spring advice please
« on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 10:25:39 »
I'm looking for pingless but strong springs to use in my future switches

For reference, I find the Cherry MX Red switch pingless, probably it's pingless because of the coils, apart from being pingless, it's too soft for my taste

On the other hand the Green/Clear/Black springs are very pingy, probably because they are strong but have low coils

It seems that many springs sources are out of business, I'm wondering about the existing sources/experiences
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: Pingless but strong spring advice please
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 10:31:51 »
In my experience, it isn't the switch that causes the ping, but more the construction of the board. I have two MX Clear boards right in front of me. One pings like I'm playing the piano, the other is dead silent, both have stock Clears.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 10:45:49 »
In my experience, it isn't the switch that causes the ping, but more the construction of the board. I have two MX Clear boards right in front of me. One pings like I'm playing the piano, the other is dead silent, both have stock Clears.
I also have the same impression, but since they are all similarly plate mounted with not so different plates, I'm not sure what can be the cause of this result. I also suspect factories, which are mostly shared, might be pre-segmenting the switches and distributing good ones to the brands they support, one other possibility is the differentiating stem lubes on the switches (difference between the cherry batches)

But I can also easily make the unmounted switches ping by hand by putting a keycap on and testing them, so I'm not sure how a keyboard can prevent a pingy switch from pinging

It's also easy to mix plate pings to switch pings, some keyboards might have non-pinging plates and their construction might be absorbing/dissipating the switch pings, deeming them as silent/non-pingy keyboards (a deserved title, if that is the case)

I have pingy WASD's, everyone claim KUL's are non-pingy, I'm really this:' ' close to buying an MX-black or blue KUL to test this theory :)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 11:06:39 »
I have switches that are not currently mounted to anything at all in most MX and Gateron variants. If you listen close enough to any of them they do produce a metallic sound since there are metal components - and in some cases I mean putting the switch basically inside your ear in a silent room to hear the spring noise. However, this noise is not the noise that occurs when I consider a board one that pings. I have never heard a switch that notably pings to the point of irritation on it's own. That is not to say it doesn't occur, just that this has not been my experience.

What I do know is that my CODE is difficult for me to type on because that thing pings beyond all reason and there is no shutting it up. I also have a board with MX Blues that did not have any noticeable ping when it was in the original case, however once I switched it to an aluminum case there was very obvious ping. I put some drawer liner in-between the PCB and case and now it is once again, blissfully, ping free. It is that dead space in the case, and sometimes the material of the case itself, that allows for resonance to occur which makes pinging so noticeable. Strong switches could add to this since there is more force involved, certainly.

I would agree that the material and assembly of the plate can make a big difference in the produced sound when typing.  I have no first hand experience with KULs, but everything I have heard indicates they do not suffer the same issues as the CODE. I have had boards with MX Blacks, as well as the aforementioned Clears, which have had no ping (again, not the CODE, that thing is a headache in keyboard form). So it is not an issue specific to strong switches.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:06:37 »
I have switches that are not currently mounted to anything at all in most MX and Gateron variants. If you listen close enough to any of them they do produce a metallic sound since there are metal components - and in some cases I mean putting the switch basically inside your ear in a silent room to hear the spring noise. However, this noise is not the noise that occurs when I consider a board one that pings. I have never heard a switch that notably pings to the point of irritation on it's own. That is not to say it doesn't occur, just that this has not been my experience.

What I do know is that my CODE is difficult for me to type on because that thing pings beyond all reason and there is no shutting it up. I also have a board with MX Blues that did not have any noticeable ping when it was in the original case, however once I switched it to an aluminum case there was very obvious ping. I put some drawer liner in-between the PCB and case and now it is once again, blissfully, ping free. It is that dead space in the case, and sometimes the material of the case itself, that allows for resonance to occur which makes pinging so noticeable. Strong switches could add to this since there is more force involved, certainly.

I would agree that the material and assembly of the plate can make a big difference in the produced sound when typing.  I have no first hand experience with KULs, but everything I have heard indicates they do not suffer the same issues as the CODE. I have had boards with MX Blacks, as well as the aforementioned Clears, which have had no ping (again, not the CODE, that thing is a headache in keyboard form). So it is not an issue specific to strong switches.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, I can hear both the switch and the plate pings, but it's probably the plate ping that's driving me crazy, as the plate resonates for almost a second after each strong click

The switch pings are most of the time more natural, and if the plate ping wasn't bothering me, I would maybe not hear it / it wouldn't bother me

This issue has been bothering me for a long time, I guess I should get a new board and see how it goes, the reason I stayed away from KUL was their media key placements, I really enjoy the default media keys on WASD's, but I guess convenient media keys aren't worth the headache

I put sound isolation sponge + some plastic/dough under the contact points, yet nothing can absorb this ping

However, it makes sense to get better springs too, if they are available, just to make sure (new keyboard + new switches + new springs that is)