Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 298231 times)

Offline braidn

Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #1050 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 16:28:42 »
Yes and from he original thread, the diodes can be on top or bottom of the pcb

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #1051 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 16:32:22 »
So just like round 1 & 2. Cool.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline mattbox

« Reply #1052 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 17:16:30 »
I got my board in today and couldn't wait  :D unfortunately I'm missing the stabs. Got those OG apple caps on it though.

I did notice a little nub on the plate, probably left over from cutting, quick fix with a few passes of a file. Just a heads up as it might scratch your case or cause it not to fit.

Offline kuromimi

« Reply #1053 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:35:01 »
got the stuff... thanks!

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #1054 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:53:24 »
Despite three order changes, everything arrived in perfect condition! That includes Hasu's PCB, a HHKB plate, stab sets, and quiet click switches (for my Monarch when that arrives).

Unexpectedly however, I also received a Sadster along with an MX to Alps adapter. This is because I jokingly asked for one when I placed my order since "the GB has made my wallet sad". I completely forgot about it until I saw it in the box. It was really nice of Blue to do and it's my very first Sadster!

The adapter works like a charm, although I had to shim the inside corners a bit with a knife before it would fit. That's most likely a tolerance issue with Shapeways' 3d printers since the part is so small.

I can't wait to put together an Alps HHBK. I'm just waiting on a break for some orange Alps on Ebay. The plan for the case is to mill an aluminum block with my almost finished CNC router.

So thank you BlueNalgene. I'm sure it became a burden with all of the order changes, sorting, the anxiety that comes with hoping everything was sorted correctly, along with having to convince your girlfriend you're not becoming a hoarder. So again, thank you! :)

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #1055 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 22:12:09 »
Despite three order changes, everything arrived in perfect condition! That includes Hasu's PCB, a HHKB plate, stab sets, and quiet click switches (for my Monarch when that arrives).
Show Image

Unexpectedly however, I also received a Sadster along with an MX to Alps adapter. This is because I jokingly asked for one when I placed my order since "the GB has made my wallet sad". I completely forgot about it until I saw it in the box. It was really nice of Blue to do and it's my very first Sadster!
Show Image

Show Image

The adapter works like a charm, although I had to shim the inside corners a bit with a knife before it would fit. That's most likely a tolerance issue with Shapeways' 3d printers since the part is so small.

I can't wait to put together an Alps HHBK. I'm just waiting on a break for some orange Alps on Ebay. The plan for the case is to mill an aluminum block with my almost finished CNC router.

So thank you BlueNalgene. I'm sure it became a burden with all of the order changes, sorting, the anxiety that comes with hoping everything was sorted correctly, along with having to convince your girlfriend you're not becoming a hoarder. So again, thank you! :)

Now I'm sad that I didn't say that I was sad too!
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #1056 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 22:57:58 »
Got all my goodies in the mail today, just waiting on a case to put everything together!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1057 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 01:53:05 »
Got mine today and it's all finished already.  Comp whites and aekii caps.  It's pretty great.  Need to get a case and a better/hhkber layout programmed in though.

So clicky.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1058 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 06:28:48 »
Got mine today and it's all finished already.  Comp whites and aekii caps.  It's pretty great.  Need to get a case and a better/hhkber layout programmed in though.

So clicky.

Pics ?   ;D
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1059 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 13:26:49 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'm happy I just happened to have one to send you.  I try hard to accommodate everyone's requests.

I'm also happy someone has posted a pic involving use of the converter.  I'm a little self conscious about sending out one of my 3D creations that I didn't test print a thousand times.  It isn't perfect...

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #1060 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 13:55:43 »
Ack, I am two switches short of a fully brown ALPS keyboard haha. So close yet so far!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1061 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 14:09:15 »
I hate to be this guy, but would you have one extra pcb?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline skaloola

« Reply #1062 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 17:13:22 »
I haven't ordered my stabs yet, but wanted to start putting this together.

Is it possible to install the stabilizers after soldering the switches?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1063 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 20:55:04 »
I hate to be this guy, but would you have one extra pcb?

I don't, but someone else might.

I haven't ordered my stabs yet, but wanted to start putting this together.

Is it possible to install the stabilizers after soldering the switches?

Yes it is.  I did it very easily with a knife and only a few four-letter-words.

Offline manofinterests

• Manofinterests Youtube
« Reply #1064 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 23:38:29 »
I finished everything except for installing the stabs! Thanks so much for putting this GB together BlueNalgene!

https://imgur.com/a/Y0foU

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1065 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 00:45:56 »
I know some people might be new to this.  Based on one brave user's questions I am going to give you a quick FAQ for assembling your new toys.

1. I see that there are what appear to be through-hole diodes with the PCBs. I did not realize that I would have to solder diodes as well as switches. Could you please refer me to a good online guide about how to place and solder the diodes? These are diodes rather than resistors for LEDs, correct? I haven't looked at them carefully as yet.

This PCB doesn't support LEDs.  The diodes are easy to solder at least.  Hasu has made a very complicated illustration of how to solder the diodes in:

2. Could you also refer me to an online guide for soldering the switches?

I don't have any good pics of my build during the assembly, and I'm lazy enough to not want to take it apart.  Let me see if I can do I sufficient explanation with words only.

Take a look at your PCB.  On one side you will see a small toggle switch with an LED next to it.  We will call this the Bottom.  The Bottom is the side that gets diodes.  Look at the diode holes.  Do you notice how for each through hole location for a diode has two little squares near it spaced only a few mm from each other?  Those are also diode pads.  If you wanted to, you could get SMT diodes and solder them on in those locations instead of using the through hole diodes.  That is more advanced though.  Why did I mention it?  Because this should confirm to you that the side you are looking at is where the diodes go.  It is easy to solder all of those on first.  Remember the orientation in that picture hasu made.  When they are all soldered in, make sure that the leads are clipped close enough that your plate won't touch them.

Now that your diodes are soldered on, you can flip the board over so you are looking at the Top side.  When you look at this side, the USB mini connector should go in the top-left corner.  This is the keyboard in the orientation you would see when typing on it, the spacebar is nearest to you.  Overlay your plate on the PCB.  Make sure the spacebar is toward you and the screws are lined up.  If you look through the holes in your plate, you should be able to tell right away where the switches go.  Starting at the four corners of the plate, push a switch through from the top of the plate in such a way that the leads on the switch line up with the holes on the PCB.  The plastic of the switch housing should be a few mm below the plane of the plate, with everything held in place firmly.  When you are satisfied with this fit of the four corners, lower the plate onto the PCB and let the switch leads slide naturally into the through holes.  Everything fit? Is it fairly level? Does it looks like a weird oreo?  Good.  Now you can continue putting in switches.  With the corners on first, it is easier to pop in the switches through the plate and PCB holes while the everything is sitting like the final project.  Once everything is in and you can see the solder leads for each switch you inserted poking through, you are ready to solder. 

"But wait Blue, not all of these holes are filled!"

Right.  Thanks to hasu's smart design, the plate dictates which locations are used.  You don't need to worry about the other ones, as they are vestigial at this point.

Now plug it in and see if it works! The PCB comes pre-loaded with simple firmware.

3. I did not get powder-coated plates. Can they be used without painting, clear-coating, or powder coating, or will they rust without doing one of these treatments? I have done a refurbishing of an old keyboard -- for that, I sanded and spray-painted the barrel plate using RustOleum spray paint applied in thin coats with light sanding between coats. Would this procedure be okay for the steel plates that you have sent or would you recommend something else?

Paint or protective coating isn't necessary.  I used T-304 stainless steel.  While it isn't impervious to damage, it should be remarkably resilient.  If you would like comparison, take a look at some of those steel saucepans which you can probably find your kitchen.  Look for the shiny awesome stuff that chef's use.  That is the same steel.  The powder coat in this case is more of an aesthetic choice.  If you want to put a coat on for pretties, go for it.  Be sure you use something that doesn't add much thickness to the plate near the switch holes.

4. There was an extra item included in a separate Ziploc bag -- it is a small blue thing that looks like a stabilizer insert, but there is only one of them. Just wondering what this is and what, if anything, I would need to do with it.

That is an Alps to Cherry converter that I had 3D printed for everyone.  See this post.  I wanted to add something silly that people might use, so I designed those.  I chose this because one of the common complaints about Alps that I've heard is the lack of artisan/custom keycap options.  With this you can add one on.  It might not be your cup of tea, but you never know when it will prove useful.

5. Speaking of stabilizers, clips and inserts, I assume that I would need to provide these, correct? Do the stabilzer clips attach to the plate rather than the PCB? Would I be able to purchase these from Matias?

Yes they are nice to have.  The ones available from Matias are compatible, and you can also try some that you steal from an older Alps board.  If you want the ones from matias, you can find them on the shop page at the last entry on the keycaps section.

6. Is this PCB fully programmable? If so, is there a link to a configurator and a way to reflash the firmware with a hex file?

Yes it is programmable, and there are some easy tools. 

You will need a programmer.  I used Atmel's FLiP.  There are lighter weight tools out there, but I had some trouble getting them to run on my weird split hard drive windows 7 cluster**** machine.  Other folks might be able to help you with that.

There are two options for editing your layout.  If you are hardcore, you can compile it yourself and do all the customization in C.  You can find the source here.  If you need to crap something out in an hour before your plane leaves and OMG what if I don't have a keyboard while I am abroad like me, you can use hasu's fancy new tool.  In Lord Hasu's infinite wisdom, he also provided a copy of his current layout to act as a starting point.  Go here to see it.

This FAQ is summarized from a conversation I had with a participant.  Some details have been changed to keep that conversation private, and this was posted with the permission of that user.  The curious party was actually a veteran member that just wanted a little handholding with this project.  So let me encourage everyone to ask questions.  Not all of us are perfect the first time.  I have asked my share while making this project.  We are all in this together to make something awesome.  So do you have a question? ASK.  Are you worried your reputation as a keyboard god might be tarnished if you ask something simple? PM me.  My job isn't over just because the packages went out.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1066 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 00:55:05 »
My job isn't over just because the packages went out.

Friends, that ^ right there is what you call a GROUP BUY LEADER. Not just a group buy organizer. It's actually not very common to find common courtesy these days. Just let that sink in for a moment, and then let's all say a huge THANK YOU one more time to BlueNalgene for LEADING this buy.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #1067 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 01:05:05 »
I know some people might be new to this.  Based on one brave user's questions I am going to give you a quick FAQ for assembling your new toys.

1. I see that there are what appear to be through-hole diodes with the PCBs. I did not realize that I would have to solder diodes as well as switches. Could you please refer me to a good online guide about how to place and solder the diodes? These are diodes rather than resistors for LEDs, correct? I haven't looked at them carefully as yet.

This PCB doesn't support LEDs.  The diodes are easy to solder at least.  Hasu has made a very complicated illustration of how to solder the diodes in:

Show Image

2. Could you also refer me to an online guide for soldering the switches?

I don't have any good pics of my build during the assembly, and I'm lazy enough to not want to take it apart.  Let me see if I can do I sufficient explanation with words only.

Take a look at your PCB.  On one side you will see a small toggle switch with an LED next to it.  We will call this the Bottom.  The Bottom is the side that gets diodes.  Look at the diode holes.  Do you notice how for each through hole location for a diode has two little squares near it spaced only a few mm from each other?  Those are also diode pads.  If you wanted to, you could get SMT diodes and solder them on in those locations instead of using the through hole diodes.  That is more advanced though.  Why did I mention it?  Because this should confirm to you that the side you are looking at is where the diodes go.  It is easy to solder all of those on first.  Remember the orientation in that picture hasu made.  When they are all soldered in, make sure that the leads are clipped close enough that your plate won't touch them.

Now that your diodes are soldered on, you can flip the board over so you are looking at the Top side.  When you look at this side, the USB mini connector should go in the top-left corner.  This is the keyboard in the orientation you would see when typing on it, the spacebar is nearest to you.  Overlay your plate on the PCB.  Make sure the spacebar is toward you and the screws are lined up.  If you look through the holes in your plate, you should be able to tell right away where the switches go.  Starting at the four corners of the plate, push a switch through from the top of the plate in such a way that the leads on the switch line up with the holes on the PCB.  The plastic of the switch housing should be a few mm below the plane of the plate, with everything held in place firmly.  When you are satisfied with this fit of the four corners, lower the plate onto the PCB and let the switch leads slide naturally into the through holes.  Everything fit? Is it fairly level? Does it looks like a weird oreo?  Good.  Now you can continue putting in switches.  With the corners on first, it is easier to pop in the switches through the plate and PCB holes while the everything is sitting like the final project.  Once everything is in and you can see the solder leads for each switch you inserted poking through, you are ready to solder. 

"But wait Blue, not all of these holes are filled!"

Right.  Thanks to hasu's smart design, the plate dictates which locations are used.  You don't need to worry about the other ones, as they are vestigial at this point.

Now plug it in and see if it works! The PCB comes pre-loaded with simple firmware.

3. I did not get powder-coated plates. Can they be used without painting, clear-coating, or powder coating, or will they rust without doing one of these treatments? I have done a refurbishing of an old keyboard -- for that, I sanded and spray-painted the barrel plate using RustOleum spray paint applied in thin coats with light sanding between coats. Would this procedure be okay for the steel plates that you have sent or would you recommend something else?

Paint or protective coating isn't necessary.  I used T-304 stainless steel.  While it isn't impervious to damage, it should be remarkably resilient.  If you would like comparison, take a look at some of those steel saucepans which you can probably find your kitchen.  Look for the shiny awesome stuff that chef's use.  That is the same steel.  The powder coat in this case is more of an aesthetic choice.  If you want to put a coat on for pretties, go for it.  Be sure you use something that doesn't add much thickness to the plate near the switch holes.

4. There was an extra item included in a separate Ziploc bag -- it is a small blue thing that looks like a stabilizer insert, but there is only one of them. Just wondering what this is and what, if anything, I would need to do with it.

That is an Alps to Cherry converter that I had 3D printed for everyone.  See this post.  I wanted to add something silly that people might use, so I designed those.  I chose this because one of the common complaints about Alps that I've heard is the lack of artisan/custom keycap options.  With this you can add one on.  It might not be your cup of tea, but you never know when it will prove useful.

5. Speaking of stabilizers, clips and inserts, I assume that I would need to provide these, correct? Do the stabilzer clips attach to the plate rather than the PCB? Would I be able to purchase these from Matias?

Yes they are nice to have.  The ones available from Matias are compatible, and you can also try some that you steal from an older Alps board.  If you want the ones from matias, you can find them on the shop page at the last entry on the keycaps section.

6. Is this PCB fully programmable? If so, is there a link to a configurator and a way to reflash the firmware with a hex file?

Yes it is programmable, and there are some easy tools. 

You will need a programmer.  I used Atmel's FLiP.  There are lighter weight tools out there, but I had some trouble getting them to run on my weird split hard drive windows 7 cluster**** machine.  Other folks might be able to help you with that.

There are two options for editing your layout.  If you are hardcore, you can compile it yourself and do all the customization in C.  You can find the source here.  If you need to crap something out in an hour before your plane leaves and OMG what if I don't have a keyboard while I am abroad like me, you can use hasu's fancy new tool.  In Lord Hasu's infinite wisdom, he also provided a copy of his current layout to act as a starting point.  Go here to see it.

This FAQ is summarized from a conversation I had with a participant.  Some details have been changed to keep that conversation private, and this was posted with the permission of that user.  The curious party was actually a veteran member that just wanted a little handholding with this project.  So let me encourage everyone to ask questions.  Not all of us are perfect the first time.  I have asked my share while making this project.  We are all in this together to make something awesome.  So do you have a question? ASK.  Are you worried your reputation as a keyboard god might be tarnished if you ask something simple? PM me.  My job isn't over just because the packages went out.

Thanks for the little large guide, it'll help me as this is my first custom.

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1068 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 01:14:37 »

Friends, that ^ right there is what you call a GROUP BUY LEADER. Not just a group buy organizer. It's actually not very common to find common courtesy these days. Just let that sink in for a moment, and then let's all say a huge THANK YOU one more time to BlueNalgene for LEADING this buy.

Thanks Blue  :thumb

A question about the TMK Keymap Editor.  Which keycode is used for Fn? 
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1069 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 02:11:07 »
We should make LEGO-style instructions for how to put one of these together :)

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #1070 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 02:31:36 »
Absolutely thank you very very much for the GB! May the Alps hype train never cease!

Offline ShadeDream

« Reply #1071 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 02:56:24 »
Thanks for the FAQ Blue. Another question... I have an AEK plate and noticed at least one switch position (K70) will not have a switch installed in it. Do I need to install a diode in D70 in this case? If I don't need to and I do will it cause any problems?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #1072 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 06:53:49 »
Similar question for those of us who have HHKB plates -- Do we install diodes in the positions on the PCB that will have no switches?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1073 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 09:15:19 »

hi elrick
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1074 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 09:16:37 »

hi elrick
Ha. TIL saying nice things makes you Elrick.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Tyr

« Reply #1075 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 11:33:27 »
Similar question for those of us who have HHKB plates -- Do we install diodes in the positions on the PCB that will have no switches?

I haven't got my pcb yet, but if it is properly designed then you don't have to. Basically the diode is only there to make sure electricity flows one way through the closed switch, since there is no switch on that position there's no need for the diode. You can see on this diagram how it has no impact on the flow in the rest of the circuit.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1076 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 13:02:20 »

Your praise is welcome.  My contribution could only be that of a leader.  You designed the plates, hasu designed and built the PCB's, the laser cutter made the plates, the sand-blasters coated the plates, Matias made the switches/stabs, and community provided the capital.  This was what I could contribute.  ...shoulders of giants and all that.

A question about the TMK Keymap Editor.  Which keycode is used for Fn? 

Which Fn do you mean? 

Do you mean the Fn like you would find on your laptop to adjust brightness settings or something?  According to \tmk_keyboard\tmk_core\doc\keymap.md section 1.5 and a little cross referencing of the code.  It looks like that isn't possible with the editor.  The code defines 32 Fn keys, but none of the current definitions would give the effect you would want if you said Yes to my question here.  If it is possible to make a key like that, it is beyond the current scope of the editor AFAIK.

Do you mean a function button to switch layers?  You can find those under the "Layer Switching and Etc." tab.  You can do lots of fun things with the layers.  The editor has the known fun things like mute, power off, mouse keys, etc. all ready to go.  If you want something outside that, you would need to dig into the code yourself.

Both of the answers I've provided are based on my understanding.  Asking hasu in the TMK firmware thread may be useful.

I haven't got my pcb yet, but if it is properly designed then you don't have to. Basically the diode is only there to make sure electricity flows one way through the closed switch, since there is no switch on that position there's no need for the diode. You can see on this diagram how it has no impact on the flow in the rest of the circuit.

Yes, based on how the matrix works, you do NOT need to solder in diodes for unused switches.  But are you a paranoid completionist? I know I am.  I soldered all those puppies in juuuuust to be sure.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1077 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 13:14:27 »
Double post.  It's my thread, I can do what I want.

My TO-DO list related to this project are, in probable order of execution:

0. Worry about packages arriving safely.
1. Mail out current wave of things I have.  e.g. switches still needing to be sent, delayed packages, hasu's thank you card, etc. (Probably will be done on Monday if I can make it to the post office)
2. Sell off extra switches with classified posts.
3. Shayamallamadingdong twist
4. Budget audit (determine how much revenue I generated which needs to be donated before tax season).
5. Confirm with community leaders on where they want the donation money to go (GH obviously needs it in server support, but I don't know about DT or /r/mk)
6. Make donations on behalf of GB.
7. Imgur album of the GB timeline.  This will be posted on /r/mk since their format isn't amenable to my aggressive updating I've done here and lazy updating I've done on DT.  (We need to show off and get some inter-community goodwill going).
8(?) Write editorial for Tactile on the pinnacles and pitfalls of a first-time GB.
9. Death by exhaustion.

Offline ShadeDream

« Reply #1078 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 13:54:34 »
Yes, based on how the matrix works, you do NOT need to solder in diodes for unused switches.  But are you a paranoid completionist? I know I am.  I soldered all those puppies in juuuuust to be sure.

Solder all the diodes in case I miss the wrong one and screw it all up, gotcha, will do ;)

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #1079 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 14:01:21 »
I built my keyboard last night with the AT101 layout, but found that apparently the stablizer wire isn't compatible with SGI spacebar. I guess I'll have to locate a Dell AT101 spacebar and the little plastic tubes.

You can see what I mean here. The stab wire won't quite reach the clip in inserts.

« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2016, 14:03:30 by cooldiscretion »

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1080 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 15:02:58 »
I built my keyboard last night with the AT101 layout, but found that apparently the stablizer wire isn't compatible with SGI spacebar. I guess I'll have to locate a Dell AT101 spacebar and the little plastic tubes.

You can see what I mean here. The stab wire won't quite reach the clip in inserts.

Show Image

If a 7u wire is what you need I have one, you can have it. Let me know.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2016, 15:12:35 by nickheller »

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #1081 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 15:45:51 »
Speaking of wires, anyone have a good source on 6u wires? I know I could bend one...but I'd rather have a pre-made one for when Alpine Winter arrives.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline ShadeDream

« Reply #1082 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 15:52:57 »

Solder all the diodes in case I miss the wrong one and screw it all up, gotcha, will do ;)

aaaand I went ahead and missed one anyway... but all is well now... just cleaning up the caps before I slap them on.

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #1083 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 15:57:12 »
If a 7u wire is what you need I have one, you can have it. Let me know.

How does the 7u wire look?  Does it wrap back around from the outside?  This one seems to go into the stablizer inserts from the inside.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1084 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 16:46:02 »
I also tried the wire with an AT101W and found the fit too tight.  It might need some modding to behave properly.  I don't have that spacebar at the moment, so I can't experiment.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #1085 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 17:28:14 »
getting there

Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1086 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 17:58:16 »
Got my package while I was away for the holidays.  Thanks for everything, it all looks great.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline braidn

« Reply #1087 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 18:42:45 »
Speaking of wires, anyone have a good source on 6u wires? I know I could bend one...but I'd rather have a pre-made one for when Alpine Winter arrives.

Nickheller perhaps. Although I am thinking that modding the 6.25 can't be all that hard

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #1088 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 18:45:46 »
Everybody is getting their packages, mines still sitting in Chicago `-`

Offline ShadeDream

« Reply #1089 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 20:29:23 »

All set and living in the Poker II's original case for now. Some of the caps weren't completely settled in that photo and look a little wonky, but I managed it without a major catastrophe so I'm pretty happy. Not horrible for a second soldering project. I'll have to try retrobrighting that spacebar a bit at some point later.

Offline Tyr

« Reply #1090 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 20:37:59 »

Mine too. And I fully expect the package to sit in customs for a week once it gets into the EU. Still might get it in time for my birthday in 2 weeks, happy about that  :) Even though I can't do a lot with it, since I ordered the hhkb-style plate and I won't have caps for it until Alpine Winter arrives. And reading the posts here I've just realised I don't have a 6u stab wire. Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Offline Zealousy

• Twitter
« Reply #1091 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 21:51:31 »
I got everything! I immediately lost the 3d printed blue thing, but everything else appears to be in line. I'm not sure how to build everything yet but I'm going to give it the old college try tonight.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #1092 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 23:01:31 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2016, 23:03:21 by sean »

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1093 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 09:52:51 »
Mine is sitting in Miami. Then it'll be another full month until it arrives here in Brazil through the shipping forwarder company. :(

Offline braidn

« Reply #1094 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 10:22:11 »
Just a snippet before Alpine Winter shows up

With Badwrench's mods

Just finished the soldering/testing of switches.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #1095 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 12:46:59 »
Just a snippet before Alpine Winter shows up

With Badwrench's mods
Show Image

Just finished the soldering/testing of switches.
Show Image

Hnnnnnnggg

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #1096 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 16:46:20 »
Finally home from vacation with a nice present waiting for me but it turns out... I really like zealios better so... mine's for sale.

Offline cheddarbek

[GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #1097 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 16:56:57 »
Finished board 1 of 2 this afternoon (I'll be waiting for Alpine winter to do my 2nd board from this buy).

Primarily oranges from an AEK I, a white on capslock, matias linears on mods, and mostly Matias clicks on gui/alt,etc.

Rocking a Royal Glam case with Tai Hao Olivette caps.

« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2016, 17:57:33 by cheddarbek »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1098 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 18:05:35 »
Finished board 1 of 2 this afternoon (I'll be waiting for Alpine winter to do my 2nd board from this buy).

Show Image

Show Image

Primarily oranges from an AEK I, a white on capslock, matias linears on mods, and mostly Matias clicks on gui/alt,etc.

Rocking a Royal Glam case with Tai Hao Olivette caps.

Show Image

Show Image

Like that case. I almost ordered one from MD, but changed my mind at the last second.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Zealousy

• Twitter
« Reply #1099 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 20:03:27 »
Ok the board is built but I can't figure out how to program it. I know about http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/alps64/index.html but not how to make it work.