Author Topic: Covid mask recommendations?  (Read 3307 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Covid mask recommendations?
« on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 14:38:40 »
With the UK catching up to better educated countries masks are now compulsory to enter shops etc here, so I should get a proper one stop reusing disposables.

Having seen Formula One drivers/staff with millions in the bank wearing a variety of masks none of which fit properly (they are constantly playing with them or their noses pop out...) it makes me wonder if there are any good ones out there and how to find them when clearly trying them on in a shop is not a good idea!

Has anyone with a fairly standard sized head found a good one they can recommend?  I guess it's mainly about the nose moulding, some of which have been described as "bread ties" in Amazon reviews, which is exactly what you get in a disposable.  They do the job but would surely snap with repeated use.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Covid mask recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 14:48:11 »
I get 50 packs of those 3 layer surgical/procedural masks and toss them after every few uses. I don't go out much so 50 last a while.

Offline Kitty Stark

• please be gentle
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 14:53:41 »
I'd suggest making your own with standard cloth fabric vs the very light material disposables are made from. It's not nearly as difficult as you might think and you can even just use hot glue for the seams instead of having to hand-sew, though it might need repairing more often. Buy a meter of textile, a mini hot-glue gun, some elastic ribbon for the ears (about a centimeter wide) and perhaps a pipe cleaner or florists wire for the nose-fitting section. It shouldn't cost more than maybe $10US but its very reusable and you can make at least 5 masks. Once the glue dries it should be machine washable with your delicates in cold water.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 July 2020, 14:58:50 by Kitty Stark »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 15:27:35 »
I get 50 packs of those 3 layer surgical/procedural masks and toss them after every few uses. I don't go out much so 50 last a while.
Yeah, 50 would last a while!  My sister picked me up a pack "it says masks on the front, there must be lots" ignoring the big 1 in the corner and the fact the pack is tiny - it cost her $7 for 1 mask.  Not sure whether the immoral shop or the stupid buyer is at fault...

I'd suggest making your own with standard cloth fabric vs the very light material disposables are made from. It's not nearly as difficult as you might think and you can even just use hot glue for the seams instead of having to hand-sew, though it might need repairing more often. Buy a meter of textile, a mini hot-glue gun, some elastic ribbon for the ears (about a centimeter wide) and perhaps a pipe cleaner or florists wire for the nose-fitting section. It shouldn't cost more than maybe $10US but its very reusable and you can make at least 5 masks. Once the glue dries it should be machine washable with your delicates in cold water.
Interesting idea.  I have a hot glue gun, it's not very mini and while I built a numberpad using nothing but hot glue I'd never have thought to use it on textiles.  I have workwear that goes on a hot wash but would probably resort to handwashing a 'delicate' mask
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline BrickParade

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 15:48:03 »
  I have workwear that goes on a hot wash but would probably resort to handwashing a 'delicate' mask

as someone who, just this very morning, thoughtlessly threw his masks in with a hot wash, I'd definitely recommend washing by hand

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 21:01:03 »
FFP2 protection at least and look for one with a valve for breathing-out. If you don’t want to keep buying new masks all the time, I recommend getting one that is washable.

These self-made simple cloth masks that you see people wear everywhere offer no actual protection against viruses, as they incorporate no actual filtering layers apart from a simple layer of cotton. People wear them because they are easy to breath in, that’s about the only advantage.

The blue surgical masks are also insufficient in terms of viral protection, and often leave gaps for air to enter/escape as they are not properly fitted. Look for a mask that fits and seals your face well.

I have been wearing ones which incorporate nano-silver fibers and are washable. It properly loops arround the ears and does not use these silly thin rubber bands. I’m not sure of the brand tho.

« Last Edit: Fri, 24 July 2020, 21:04:57 by Olumin »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 21:39:21 »
I have the disposables, they never sit right, either riding up and rubbing my eyes or sliding down under my chin. They are at least cool, temp-wise.

I bought some nice ones made in South Korea off Amazon (figuring they've been waering them longer they probably have it figured out), really comfy, and stay in place much better. They do have the "metal" bridge but they've handled multiple washings and seem fine. I've started to air dry them though just in case as that strip is actually plastic on most. The downside, they are HOT and they are harder to breath in (2 thick layers), however, so long as you're not doing something strenuous (like helping a family member move when it's 115f or jogging), they're perfectly fine. Took me a time or two to get comfy talking in it (it's soft so it moves) but that feeling dissapeared quick.

Here's a link to them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089DBH5DT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note, breather valves help you, but they do nothing to stop you from spreading something.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 00:37:08 »
I ended up printing one of These:

https://www.makethemasks.com/3d-printing

The basic idea is to have a decent mask that is close to a N95 that is somewhat reusable.
The way the filter opening is sized, a single surgical mask can make 6 inserts. I have tried a disposable N95 and That will only get about 4 pieces due to the wierd shape.

The good:
  • it doesn't slide off your nose
  • With the right seals, it's pretty comfortable
[ij] It is pretty good at keeping your glasses from fogging up[/ij]
[/list]

The bad:
  • It does restrict air flow a bit
  • Getting the nose seal right takes some work
[ij]you still need a supply of disposible masks[/ij]
[/list]
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 04:07:42 »
Look for a mask that fits and seals your face well.

I have been wearing ones which incorporate nano-silver fibers and are washable.

We're on the same page, it's the looking that has me.  How can you tell from a picture how well it will fit?  All the tech in the world (I've seen silver and antibacterial coatings) is useless if it doesn't fit...

I bought some nice ones made in South Korea off Amazon (figuring they've been waering them longer they probably have it figured out)
I like this - they have been wearing them for years so should have it sorted.  Not attempting international shipping at the moment but thanks for the idea.

I ended up printing one of These:

https://www.makethemasks.com/3d-printing
A mini gas mask - nice.  I have no printer but surely someone's selling them on ebay so could be a very different option.

as someone who, just this very morning, thoughtlessly threw his masks in with a hot wash, I'd definitely recommend washing by hand
Oh dear!  Hopefully you didn't wash all of them at once...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 05:27:59 »
I like this - they have been wearing them for years so should have it sorted.  Not attempting international shipping at the moment but thanks for the idea.
Shipped by Amazon, I had them in 1-2 days.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 06:32:27 »
These self-made simple cloth masks that you see people wear everywhere offer no actual protection against viruses, as they incorporate no actual filtering layers apart from a simple layer of cotton. People wear them because they are easy to breath in, that’s about the only advantage.[/size][/color]

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression (based on some of the stuff I’ve seen based on particulate movement) that the point of the masks wasn’t to keep other peoples virus out, but to keep any potential virus you have in. Keeping two meters apart and wearing a fabric mask that properly covers the face should be sufficient to prevent virus particulates getting sprayed all over the person you’re talking to should you sneeze. The advice the CDC, John Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, etc. are putting out mirrors this. They’re certainly not recommended if you’re going to be in the environment constantly and a paper by the ECDC suggests them to be unsuitable as a replacement for proper PPE for medical staff except in last resort. However for the general public to be used as part of social distancing, they’re perfectly suitable.

The problem with most of the masks that offer proper filtration is that things like N95 masks for example require fit training. Making a cloth mask that covers your full lower face and nose and has a couple layers of tightly woven cotton plus a filtration layer should do well enough so long as you’re not seeing patients.

I am kind of curious about the Leaf face mask through, I’ve got to say - N99 and FDA approved. I like that it’s transparent because we have so much paralanguage associated with our mouth and I miss conveying thanks by smiling, haha

« Last Edit: Sat, 25 July 2020, 06:36:06 by -Jerry- »
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 08:02:02 »

I like that it’s transparent because we have so much paralanguage associated with our mouth and I miss conveying thanks by smiling

This is important but all that plastic must be heinously hot and uncomfortable.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 08:18:46 »

I like that it’s transparent because we have so much paralanguage associated with our mouth and I miss conveying thanks by smiling

This is important but all that plastic must be heinously hot and uncomfortable.

Ha, you’re probably right, I hadn’t actually considered that. Having anything over your face that you’re exhaling into is going to get sweaty and horrible. I wonder how much testing they’ve done with the vents, they say that it doesn’t fog up, so I assume they’ve anticipated some extraction of moisture.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 16:12:25 »
For some reason I find the clear masks creepy. Same with the ones that have a window for the person's mouth, it's supposed to have the opposite effect but they look freakish and weird to me. It may be due to opaque masks being the norm so seeing someone's mouth now is unexpected or off putting? 

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 16:57:22 »
Yeah, that probably is a factor - I think I just like how they look sort of futuristic, like something they’d use on a low-oxygen planet in a modern sci-if show.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 17:07:56 »
The O2 Curve is a great small form factor full-seal replaceable filter option if ya don't mind that it looks like an athletic cup.
https://o2canada.com/products/o2-curve-1-2?variant=32523139383395

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 17:18:52 »
It looks like the models are wearing comedic nose props with intentionally prominent pores, haha.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 22:08:32 »
Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression (based on some of the stuff I’ve seen based on particulate movement) that the point of the masks wasn’t to keep other peoples virus out, but to keep any potential virus you have in. Keeping two meters apart and wearing a fabric mask that properly covers the face should be sufficient to prevent virus particulates getting sprayed all over the person you’re talking to should you sneeze.
This^

Covid is quite large, very sticky and it's (almost) always wrapped in fluids on exhale, this is why even a t-shirt offers protection to others.

While it protects others it offers minimal protection for you as by the time it reaches you the liquids may have evaporated, by then it has a wider pattern (thus less hitting you), plus it's still sticky, so it still helps. More layers are better, but there is such a thing as overkill. The thing to keep in mind though is that your odds of getting it this way with just a t-shirt mask is low and almost zero if everyone around you wears them or something better.

Tests are also now showing that your level of exposure plays a major factor in how serious your symptoms are. If you get a tiny amount, your body can start fighting it right away before it gets a strong foothold (I presume), whereas someone who ingests a lot into their lungs gets sicker much faster and with worse symptoms. Mask wearers do better and are often asymptomatic so even if your mask isn't perfect it still helps.

I am kind of curious about the Leaf face mask through, I’ve got to say - N99 and FDA approved. I like that it’s transparent because we have so much paralanguage associated with our mouth and I miss conveying thanks by smiling, haha
A lot of talking or just one sneeze or cough and that thing will be an absolute mess inside.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline JP

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 23:15:02 »
I just got this mask in the mail the other day. Out of stock now but should be available soon. When I first got it I thought it was too large for my small face but actually is fully adjustable and is the only one so far that fits perfectly and is pretty easy to breathe in unless you happen to try climbing 6 flights of stairs at a brisk pace.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/essential-face-mask-kit-283298
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 03:20:25 »
How are the ear pieces on that, I've seen a few with similar and avoided them out of fear they would rub badly.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 06:56:34 »
Maybe this will help people.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline desipalen

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 08:36:35 »

Maybe this will help people.

Very nice! I have not seen this before, but I'm glad it exists.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline JP

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 22:17:35 »
How are the ear pieces on that, I've seen a few with similar and avoided them out of fear they would rub badly.

I don't even notice them. They are a soft silicone like material.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.