Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1624544 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: GH60 Group Buy (PRODUCTION FOR REAL)
« Reply #3750 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 13:13:06 »
oh right, forgot the wire was the problem. I'll bend the wire myself, very easy to do actually.

And I've offered to bend wires at cost for people.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3751 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 13:18:15 »
oh right, forgot the wire was the problem. I'll bend the wire myself, very easy to do actually.

And I've offered to bend wires at cost for people.

I know melvang is looking at building a jig for bending, so if a few people get those, the job would become a lot easier.

I think that if we could get WFD to ship the stabs he has (sans wire) to whoever is shipping, that would be a large step forward in this progress.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3752 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 14:47:08 »
I want and need those stabilizers that I paid for more than a year ago, specifically i need the cherry spacebar wires.
I hate how this is just now being handled, you guys have had a year. Online components, mouser sell the plate and pcb cherry stabs with a 2x wire for cheap, those shouldn't be a problem. Costars shouldn't be to hard to get and they are easy to bend, I've bent costar wires before. SO I imagine this comes down to the cherry stab spacebar wires which are hard to bend given the thickness, music wire won't work with cherry stabs, I need those cherry wire that I paid for

Offline pasph

« Reply #3753 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 14:54:02 »
WFD shipping stuff?
Ok be ready to wait another year
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3754 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 16:15:51 »
Broken record time:

TJ, can we get an official timeline?

Also, can we get an answer on shipping without stabs and/or a refund on them?  I'd rather buy them myself or do a mini GB on them since, at this point, it seems like it will be quicker than this GB.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #3755 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 17:39:28 »
we are getting closer woop
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline mauri

« Reply #3756 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 11:53:25 »
I volunteer to bend stab wires with my mind. Tin foil hats are advised at the immediate vicinity of said wires.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline maxmalkav

« Reply #3757 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 06:08:24 »
I have changed addresses twice since this started  :confused:

who can I contact to update my shipping address?

Offline battletux

« Reply #3758 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 16:10:46 »
Wow. Thought I check the progress of this (as it has been a month or more since I last did) and it's hardly progressed at all!

So as the plates have been paid and delivered and the PCB's effectively done, is there any chance I'll see my order this side of new year? Or even the Summer?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3759 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 19:47:32 »
Wow. Thought I check the progress of this (as it has been a month or more since I last did) and it's hardly progressed at all!

So as the plates have been paid and delivered and the PCB's effectively done, is there any chance I'll see my order this side of new year? Or even the Summer?

Great question!

TJ and/or komar, can we get an official timeline so that this wonderful soul's question can get answered?

Also, can we get an answer on shipping without stabs and/or a refund on them to get this shipped quicker?

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #3760 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:24:41 »
Are we there yet?

I'm pretty dexterous, and prone to improvised rigging. I bet if i had specs and a straight wire (and some example images), i could make it fit. Is there a space bar wire specs file somewhere?
Logitech G710+

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3761 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 11:02:36 »
I bet if i had specs and a straight wire (and some example images), i could make it fit. Is there a space bar wire specs file somewhere?

You need 1,6mm thick wire and just need to bend both ends. I don't remember the length though but you can orient on the stems of a spacebar.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #3762 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 11:17:00 »
TJ and/or komar, can we get an official timeline so that this wonderful soul's question can get answered?

This :thumb:
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #3763 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 12:12:17 »

This :thumb:

I'd like to hear as well

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3764 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 12:45:24 »
everyone is talking about bending spacebar wires themselves but are they talking about costars or cherrys because costars are indeed easy to bend yourself but those cherrys are much thicker, you cant even cut them with normal wirecutters they are so thick, i think WFD was going to have them machined originally. I really dont want the consensus to be "**** the people who want stabilizers"

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #3765 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 13:33:50 »
-__- still no update on the PCB...
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline T0ken

« Reply #3766 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 14:56:52 »
GON seems to have stabilizers and wires in stock:

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/stabilizers/90-wire-for-spacebar-stabilizers.html

$9 for stabilizers is not worth my time to wait any longer. As far as I know; it seems that the PCBs have been produced and are sitting with someone. Who do I have to bribe and how much do I have to pay just have my PCB shipped already?
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 14:59:25 by T0ken »

« Reply #3767 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 17:16:34 »
Are the cherry wires thicker than coat hanger wire? Those are pretty thick, and admittedly not exactly so compliant... but i recently did some articulate bending of a piece of coat hanger wire to replace a lost "poker" for my "dugout" one-hitter... sure it's not as pretty as the original, and i'd guess a space bar wire would be a bit more difficult, but it works, and fits in the original poker-stash-hole... i'm pretty sure i could manage. If cherry space bar wires are too difficult to source, i wouldn't mind improvising one for myself. I don't care if it's a little "ugly," as long as it fits and functions as it should. It won't be visible most of the time anyway. If i knew the exact measurements required, i could make guide marks instead of just eyeballing it like i did with the "poker."

The other point i was going to make: i saw a complaint about not wanting to lose $50, and i agree that losing any amount of money doesn't feel good... but even a minimum wage laborer can make $50 in a single day. Most of us have less than that riding on space bar wires. IMO, it's not worth holding up completion for a wire that can be improvised with a bit of dexterity and ingenuity. In fact, each day that passes without the keyboard in hand, is worth more than the missing wires. Some of you guys make hundreds of dollars a day. It's costing you exponentially more time-value than the amount of money you might lose over some MIA wires. Just sayin'.
Logitech G710+

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #3768 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 17:20:57 »
This is all just speculation until WFD or TJ steps in to give us an update, which is maddening.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3769 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 06:48:14 »
Are the cherry wires thicker than coat hanger wire? [...]

As I said above they're 1,6mm thick. I don't think coat hanger wire has a standard thickness. You can get 1,6mm thick stainless steel welding rods for about 1-2$ per meter.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3770 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 08:06:07 »
Are the cherry wires thicker than coat hanger wire?

No. Coat hangers will be too thick.

« Reply #3771 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 13:16:34 »
Are the cherry wires thicker than coat hanger wire? [...]

As I said above they're 1,6mm thick. I don't think coat hanger wire has a standard thickness. You can get 1,6mm thick stainless steel welding rods for about 1-2$ per meter.
Are the cherry wires thicker than coat hanger wire?

No. Coat hangers will be too thick.

lol, i wasn't going to try to use coat hanger wire for a space bar... my point was: i've bent thicker (satisfactorily for the purpose i intended).

Just by eyeballing, i was assuming the wire i bent was indeed at least 2mm, maybe more (and i was indeed able to cut it with some very cheap generic cutters). It wasn't exactly the easiest thing i've done, but it wasn't all that difficult either, and didn't take me very long to do it. And i'm not some huge burly hulking superman either. I'm tall and skinny. I may have a leverage advantage (lol), but i doubt it was significant in this regard.

So, like i was saying... if it's less thick than the wire i mentioned, i'm pretty sure i could do it. And even if it ends up being a suboptimal solution, i'm sure we can eventually source some proper wires.

Bending wire is all about solid grip and fulcrum positioning, and understanding what to expect from the material in question. I'd likely have a test piece just to see how it reacts to various pressures. One thing i've found is that it's best to try to get a perfect bend on the first try, because once you bend it, it's hard to adjust the result. If you can get it "close enough" on the first bend, it can be adjusted a bit... but if you mess up the first bend, or don't bend enough, it's hard to avoid rounding what should be a 90 degree angle. But like i said: it would be worth spending a whole single day and some elbow grease, rather than waiting indefinitely for something i could likely fashion myself.

Now, whether that's relevant to the status of the GB... (inclined to think it isn't...) remains to be seen.

I just looked at some pictures... i'm pretty sure i could do it, even if i'm underestimating the difficulty. I bet some of you guys would be able to do it even easier, if you have bench clamps and stuff. I would think it would be best to start with the center bends, and work outward. If you have a bench clamp, or some way to make a "jig" (as someone else mentioned may already be in the works), that would be ideal.

(note: i'm not volunteering to make hundreds of these... lol... i would need to be compensated for that level and amount of labor intensive crafting)

I was also wondering if this delay has anything to do with potential legal repercussions, due to ultimately not supplying what was initially claimed. I can't promise no one else will sue over a $9 space bar wire... but i sure as hell wouldn't.
Logitech G710+

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3772 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 13:28:24 »
The problem also is that a coat hanger is very bendable due to whatever material it is made out of and a 7x wire could possibly start to flex if we were to use that material

cherry corp stab wires are extremely solid, hard to cut, hard to bend. i am sure somebody here knows what they are made out of and some may know how to make them. i think WFD was going to have them machined or whatever the term is instead of bending them.

we only have to worry about the spacebar wires though as they are sold with the 2x wires for really cheap on parts websites both in PCB and Plate formats.

also i agree though that people who didn't order stabs have every right to be demanding their orders be shipped.

btw those space bar wires  GON sells are shipped from korea and they cost more than the cost of the spacebar wire to ship

« Reply #3773 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 13:35:18 »
The problem also is that a coat hanger is very bendable due to whatever material it is made out of and a 7x wire could possibly start to flex if we were to use that material

cherry corp stab wires are extremely solid, hard to cut, hard to bend. i am sure somebody here knows what they are made out of and some may know how to make them. i think WFD was going to have them machined or whatever the term is instead of bending them.

we only have to worry about the spacebar wires though as they are sold with the 2x wires for really cheap on parts websites both in PCB and Plate formats.

Show Image

also i agree though that people who didn't order stabs have every right to be demanding their orders be shipped.

btw those space bar wires  GON sells are shipped from korea and they cost more than the cost of the spacebar wire to ship

I've seen flimsy weak coat hangers, and very stiff coat hangers. This was the very stiff kind (because i needed it to be stiff enough to push through a similarly sized hole, and compacted resin/ash can be very stubborn). Although i see what you're saying about the longer ones... i don't think the wire i used would flex much, though i'm sure it would not be an ideal solution. But sometimes the only choice is between improvise and go without. I'd rather improvise in that case. There doesn't seem to be a better option at this point, so i'm preparing to improvise.

edit: in fact, i'd even be willing to use a 1u cap for space, until an acceptably functional solution can be found.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 13:37:02 by ferociousfingerings »
Logitech G710+

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3774 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 13:48:24 »
well i agree it wouldnt have to be the same material as cherry, it just needs to be the same thickness and sturdy enough

the reason it has to be the same thickness is that the wires actually snap into the stab

i mean i do wish they would just ship them out and then handle the stabs separate. the fact there is PCBs just sitting at TJs for months is just absolute bs. Why wouldn't he want to reduce how much work he has to do by getting the PCB-only orders out, does he really want to do it all at once.

its clear that TJ doesnt care about Geek Hack people.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3775 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:02:09 »
I think this is what you guys are looking for:

https://www.google.com/search?q=k%26s+music+wire+0.062
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:21:10 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3776 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:04:12 »
is that for costar or cherry?

that cant be for cherry, i have a 0.047 bender i bought for costar and cherry stab wire does not fit in it
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:06:22 by Glod »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3777 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:06:09 »
is that for costar or cherry?

You can use it for Cherry. It still snaps in, just a little loose. See the stabs on a Poker/Pure/etc.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3778 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:12:36 »
its too loose!

i have a 0.047 wire right here, the same you are linking and a bender for it

it comes right out when you use it for a wire, it does NOT stay snapped in

imagine putting a plate over one of these, having the wire just pop out and then your ****ed and have to de-solder all the switches off to put a new wire in. **** that **** i want the exact thickness.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #3779 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:20:46 »
something else on this page ...? they use different measurements at different times.

it turns out 0.055 is a thing, for instance ...
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:22:54 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3780 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:21:52 »
deleted BM
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 16:36:49 by Glod »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3781 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:22:06 »
its too loose!

Show Image

imagine putting a plate over one of these, having the wire just pop out and then your ****ed and have to de-solder all the switches off to put a new wire in. **** that **** i want the exact thickness.

Oh, for some reason I thought I had use that one for Cherry before. :\

I edited my link. Should be good with that one.

Edit: this -- https://www.google.com/search?q=k%26s+music+wire+0.062
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:23:46 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3782 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:23:42 »
sure buy a thicker wire, then what, show me an affordable bender for it and something to cleanly cut it

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3783 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:29:43 »
sure buy a thicker wire, then what, show me an affordable bender for it and something to cleanly cut it

To bend, use these:

And to cut, use these:

and this, to make the cut smooth:

in memoriam

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #3784 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:30:28 »
I'm not in this GB, alright? But I can tell tempers are running short ... All I can say, is how I'd feel if I were at this point. And here's how I'd feel:

"Affordable bender? They're called pliers. Close enough for government work and also my keyboard."

edit: ninja'd by JD  :))

But I'd like to sign off offering suggestions to stay constructive, short tempers notwithstanding. It takes fewer muscles to smile than to frown, and all that.

This is why I told everyone I wasn't going to anodize their ergodox cases, or source M3 screws. I'm a Unix aficionado; do one thing and do it well.

Talking too much, for instance. I'm usually good at that. Gonna go find someplace else to talk now, though. Good luck, everyone!

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3785 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:37:56 »
the spacebar wire also has to have a a hump in it for the cherry switch for spacebar, i envy your precision with a needle nose pliers then

why not talk about this ****, its not like we get any status from the person with our money and **** then. tired of this ****, making me out to be the bad guy

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3786 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:40:05 »
the spacebar wire also has to have a a hump in it for the cherry switch for spacebar, i envy your precision with a needle nose pliers then

I just use flat wires for all my Cherry stabilizers. I've never had a problem by not making those bends.

in memoriam

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3787 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:42:47 »
fair enough i'll give it a try

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #3788 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 14:46:28 »

I just use flat wires for all my Cherry stabilizers. I've never had a problem by not making those bends.

Exactly this. I've only ever had 1 cherry stabilizer that was bent, and didn't feel any different whatsoever between that and a flat one.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3789 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 15:17:27 »
Why are we arguing about stabilizer wires?  We should be asking where the hell is the timeline and when will get our stuff?  We can argue about stabilizers if it ever gets confirmed that that's what's holding us back.

With the amount of communication we're getting (sans ApocalypseMaow's much appreciated pics and updates) it feels like TheProfosist took this buy over.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3790 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 22:03:03 »
I got this for while I wait...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3791 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 22:39:46 »
I got this for while I wait...
Show Image

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3792 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 22:42:13 »
its too loose!

Show Image

DUDE THIS KEEPS HAPPENING TO MY CUSTOMER BOARDS I GOT A BAD BATCH TT
I love Elzy

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #3793 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 23:14:23 »

^ this. In fact, I don't think you can use those stock Cherry wires with the offset and a plate. The offset part rubs the plate. Those are for use with PCB mount only I believe.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #3794 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 23:34:37 »
here is also a video i just made disproving using a costar on cherry stabs

https://flic.kr/p/ocffsn
But that is the wire to use with costar, right?

Also, to be fair I haven't drove the plates to TJ yet. I'm off Sat, Sun and Monday. It'll be handled then.  :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 23:46:52 by ApocalypseMaow »
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline polarpigs

« Reply #3795 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 02:29:17 »
Also, to be fair I haven't drove the plates to TJ yet. I'm off Sat, Sun and Monday. It'll be handled then.  :p

While you're there, would you mind telling him that it'd be nice if someone made indications to show that this GB is still being worked on...

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #3796 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 03:27:36 »

While you're there, would you mind telling him that it'd be nice if someone made indications to show that this GB is still being worked on...
The wheels are turning dudes, no doubt.

Just take a second and be thankful PCB's, plates, switches, money and responsibility of this GB ended up with the people it did.

We could all be in the same boat as Pasph... Not to rub salt in the wound, cause I do hope he gets his gear soon but really think about it...

The whole GB was DOA until TJ and JD stepped up to take over what WFD abandoned.

I know it's a lot to ask, but hold tight, we'll get there.

{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #3797 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 05:17:28 »
holding tight

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3798 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 10:12:43 »

Just take a second and be thankful PCB's, plates, switches, money and responsibility of this GB ended up with the people it did.

We could all be in the same boat as Pasph... Not to rub salt in the wound, cause I do hope he gets his gear soon but really think about it...

The whole GB was DOA until TJ and JD stepped up to take over what WFD abandoned.

+1. Well said.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #3799 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 10:38:11 »

Very true, but it would be nice to hear from TJ seeing as he's got the money and the PCB's (well for NA anyway from what I understand)
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears