Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1624565 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #1250 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 10:25:03 »
I was trying to read through everything to see what I need to change in my order, but is the Universal 10x the only one that will support a 10x spacebar or do all ansi 150 layouts support it also?

All 1.5x layout plates support the 10x spacebar. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline T0ken

« Reply #1251 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 10:27:50 »
There will be holes with solder pads for LEDs on every switch, but no traces to them. I'm still not 100% sure if the WASD-Esc will have traces for LEDs, but I believe that is the plan.

Can you actually make your own traces, in case you want LEDs at some point?

There won't be traces on the PCB; you can solder jumper wires to connect the LEDs. I imagine you could design another PCB daughtherboard to go underneath for the LEDs to, but it would be expensive to prototype it.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1252 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 10:37:25 »
There will be holes with solder pads for LEDs on every switch, but no traces to them. I'm still not 100% sure if the WASD-Esc will have traces for LEDs, but I believe that is the plan.

There won't be traces on the PCB; you can solder jumper wires to connect the LEDs. I imagine you could design another PCB daughtherboard to go underneath for the LEDs to, but it would be expensive to prototype it.
I can't promise anything, but it looks like there is enough space so I may provide traces for most (probably not all) of the LEDs. The connections will form a matrix with rows and columns so it will be reasonably configurable.
Still, not promising anything, if that delays things or causes other problems, I'll drop it.
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #1253 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 10:42:41 »
Quick question, I didn't specifiy that I wanted plate mounted cherrys, I only wrote 63x browns. I did however order a plate, is it implied that I want plate mounted switches?

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1254 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 10:44:50 »

I can't promise anything, but it looks like there is enough space so I may provide traces for most (probably not all) of the LEDs. The connections will form a matrix with rows and columns so it will be reasonably configurable.
Still, not promising anything, if that delays things or causes other problems, I'll drop it.

I was thinking that a few LEDs would be useful to use as layer status indicators, for those who would like to play with 3+ layers, or for semi-permanent layers (switching to a layer and not switching back on keyup). Probably not a lot of LEDs, but a handful of them would probably be nice for playing around with.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1255 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 10:49:37 »
Quick question, I didn't specifiy that I wanted plate mounted cherrys, I only wrote 63x browns. I did however order a plate, is it implied that I want plate mounted switches?

Yes, if you ordered a plate, we will assume you want plate mounted switches, unless you specify otherwise.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1256 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 10:51:04 »

Yes, if you ordered a plate, we will assume you want plate mounted switches, unless you specify otherwise.

What would be the point of a plat sitting over PCB mounted switches?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1257 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 10:55:08 »
What would be the point of a plat sitting over PCB mounted switches?

I've done several Pokers that way, since they come with PCB-mount switches originally, of course. But plate mounted switches work just fine with a plate. :)

in memoriam

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #1258 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 10:56:46 »
Excellent, thanks for the quick reply.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #1259 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 10:59:46 »
How should we order Bare PCBs?

I just put it in the comments section since I didn't see an option on the order form... Just want to confirm this will work.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
« Reply #1260 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 11:02:22 »
How should we order Bare PCBs?

I just put it in the comments section since I didn't see an option on the order form... Just want to confirm this will work.

I can't imagine it being much cheaper getting the bare PCB considering the expected quantities.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1261 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 11:05:48 »
Bare PCB is $6. Includes nothing but the PCB, meaning you have to source your own controller and electronics.

in memoriam

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #1262 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 11:55:43 »
Almost forgot to order this, OOPS

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1263 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 12:17:57 »
Almost forgot to order this, OOPS

Same here. Now I just gotta find a decent case.

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #1264 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 12:27:30 »
Bare PCB is $6. Includes nothing but the PCB, meaning you have to source your own controller and electronics.

Oh wow. Jk.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1265 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 12:31:33 »
Provides good insurance for the future though... for instance I'm fairly certainly I wont need/want more than 3 boards, but I ordred an extra 2 bare PCBs just in case I change my mind later and they are hard to come by.  Can always track down the components... probably costing more granted.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1266 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 12:47:34 »
That's actually a really good idea.

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #1267 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 12:54:30 »
Provides good insurance for the future though... for instance I'm fairly certainly I wont need/want more than 3 boards, but I ordred an extra 2 bare PCBs just in case I change my mind later and they are hard to come by.  Can always track down the components... probably costing more granted.

Damn, that's smart.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #1268 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 12:56:18 »
So how are the orders for plates "samwisekoi" and "universal 10x" coming?

Certainly the "ANSI universal" will support the arrow keys the "samwisekoi" plate is designed for, and the only real reason to use the "universal 10x" (I think) would be to use a 10x spacebar with 1.25 modifiers.

Anyhow, I am about to place an order for more PCBs and plates, and I want to know how those two plates are going before I add to the mess.

Thanks!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1269 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:06:18 »

Certainly the "ANSI universal" will support the arrow keys the "samwisekoi" plate is designed for, and the only real reason to use the "universal 10x" (I think) would be to use a 10x spacebar with 1.25 modifiers.

Anyhow, I am about to place an order for more PCBs and plates, and I want to know how those two plates are going before I add to the mess.

Thanks!

- Ron | samwisekoi

If you're the only one who needs that plate, just have WFD hit me up with a drawing. I'll take care of it.

I think WFD will be running most of the lower quantity plates through me anyways (as far as I know)
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1270 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:19:49 »

Thanks!

- Ron | samwisekoi

"samwisekoi" plate has 8 orders as of this moment, "Universal 10x" has zero.

in memoriam

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1271 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:22:00 »
Where's the link to the order spreadsheet? :)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1272 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:24:07 »
^ please put this on the OP.  It's getting buried.
Russ

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1273 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:24:12 »
Where's the link to the order spreadsheet? :)

in memoriam

Offline osxoep

HHKB Pro JP with hasu's controller (waiting for MX sliders)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1275 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:27:40 »
Thanks jdcarpe and osxoep! I was looking all over the OP >.>

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #1276 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:31:29 »
Thanks for the reminder on the Universal 10x option!  I updated my order to add one more PCB and a 10x-compatible plate plus stabilizers.  Wasn't sure what to put for the stabilizer wire length...?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1277 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:39:29 »
12 hours left. You guys are laggers. Almost all the orders were within the first two days or the last two lol. Give me some time to catch up with PMs, but this should address majority.

There is an option in the order form for bare PCBs. This would be good if you're on a tight budget now, and willing to source your own components later. Good chance to practice various types of soldering techniques on this cheap PCB too (about 49 tiny pads, 178 through-holes, and 160 other SMD pads). I've attached the BOM for all the components in a spreadsheet linked on the bottom of this post.

Capslock LED will be white based on the poll. You can verify your orders below instead of PMing me. Forgot to put in in the OP until now.

Order confirmation

list of PCB components below
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:41:35 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: GH60 Group Buy (12 HOURS LEFT)
« Reply #1278 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:46:35 »
Ordered three more soldered PCBs and two more plates, one of which (I believe) has the wrong picture on the OP:

ANSI 1.5x with short R-shift and split backspace - full 1.5x mod, WKL, or "true" HHKB

It is shown with a 2x backspace with stabs on the plate but a split backspace on the rendering.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1279 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:49:24 »
Submitted an addition to my order (2x bare pcbs) that's not showing up in the confirmation

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #1280 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:50:09 »
Is it likely there will be a R2? I have a feeling if I buy the PCB now it'll just be sitting under my bed for half a year, and I don't have the cash for a plate etc atm.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1281 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:50:27 »
Submitted an addition to my order (2x bare pcbs) that's not showing up in the confirmation

It's not automated, bro. We have to update by hand... :)

in memoriam

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #1282 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:53:25 »
Just to confirm (i know you hate that word now) ISO/ANSI 1.5x with short shift will require a 7x spacebar wire with the costars which is not available am I right?

Do Cherrys need wires? Are there 7x wires for those?

Offline numerus

• Happy go lucky
« Reply #1283 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:54:20 »
Just order another one Universal ANSI to my order i m very happy  :D
KBC Poker II | HPE 87% | FILCO Majestouch 2 | Cherry G81-3000 | Marquardt MK | CM NovaTouch TKL | POK3R 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1284 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 13:57:45 »
Just to confirm (i know you hate that word now) ISO/ANSI 1.5x with short shift will require a 7x spacebar wire with the costars which is not available am I right?

Do Cherrys need wires? Are there 7x wires for those?

Yes, any 1.5x layout requires 7x (or 10x) spacebar and wire. The only spacebar wire available for Costar stabs is 6.25x.

Cherry stabilizers do require wires, and we will be able to find or bend 7x wires for those.

Also, just want to reiterate this, since it's now a page back:

UPDATE:

THE SWITCH SUPPLIER JUST INFORMED ME THAT THE ONLY GREY SWITCHES HE HAS ARE ACTUALLY LINEAR (DARK GREY).

THESE WILL NOT WORK FOR "ERGO-CLEAR" MOD.

SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION, AS I WAS JUST INFORMED OF THIS JUST NOW. IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL SWITCHES, PLEASE SUBMIT AN ORDER CHANGE REQUEST.

You can still order MX Clear or MX Grey (tactile) from 7bit on Deskthority, or we will place the order with 7bit if you order them through this GB.

in memoriam

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1285 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:08:54 »

No worries! Question though: does that mean standard clears are not available through this group buy? I'm not interested in Ergo, just want regular old clears.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1286 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:10:48 »

No worries! Question though: does that mean standard clears are not available through this group buy? I'm not interested in Ergo, just want regular old clears.

Any switches ordered that we cannot source from our new supplier will be ordered from 7bit. We won't be finished collecting payments before his "preorder sale" ends, so prices may be higher, and lead times may be longer.

in memoriam

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1287 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:22:32 »
Sorry if I missed this but what are the HHKB layout case options looking like?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #1288 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:25:44 »
For those of us who got ali's acrylic case, will we be able to send the case to whoever is assembling or something?

Offline mkaito

« Reply #1289 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:28:38 »
For those of us who got ali's acrylic case, will we be able to send the case to whoever is assembling or something?

The assembly service only assembles switches and plates. Mounting a case is ezpz anyway, so don't worry.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #1290 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:29:58 »

The assembly service only assembles switches and plates. Mounting a case is ezpz anyway, so don't worry.
Ali's case has a custom plate.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:32:33 by Photekq »
github

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1291 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:30:39 »

^^^ This.

I don't have a problem doing that.

Also, I'm going to put this on every page:

UPDATE:

THE SWITCH SUPPLIER JUST INFORMED ME THAT THE ONLY GREY SWITCHES HE HAS ARE ACTUALLY LINEAR (DARK GREY).

THESE WILL NOT WORK FOR "ERGO-CLEAR" MOD.

SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION, AS I WAS JUST INFORMED OF THIS JUST NOW. IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL SWITCHES, PLEASE SUBMIT AN ORDER CHANGE REQUEST.

You can still order MX Clear or MX Grey (tactile) from 7bit on Deskthority, or we will place the order with 7bit if you order them through this GB.

in memoriam

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #1292 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:33:05 »
jd could you shine some light on this?

Is it likely there will be a R2? I have a feeling if I buy the PCB now it'll just be sitting under my bed for half a year, and I don't have the cash for a plate etc atm.
github

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1293 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:33:49 »

It's going to make me cry every time I see it lol

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #1294 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:34:04 »
Any switches ordered that we cannot source from our new supplier will be ordered from 7bit. We won't be finished collecting payments before his "preorder sale" ends, so prices may be higher, and lead times may be longer.

You must be new to GeekHack!

Since when do I have strict deadlines?
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #1295 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:34:44 »

^^^ This.

I don't have a problem doing that.

You're truly amazing.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1296 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:43:10 »
jd could you shine some light on this?

Not likely anytime soon. Maybe in a year or so?

You must be new to GeekHack!

Since when do I have strict deadlines?

I am new! I only have about 300 posts to catch up with you, sir!

And I was only going by what komar told WFD and me regarding your preorder sale. Also, it said on DT that your sale prices end 4/30/2013.

in memoriam

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #1297 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:44:14 »
A year or so sounds good to me. Thanks jd.
github

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1298 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:46:23 »
Hm, I wonder if I should get a second one...

I've got whites coming for the one I've already ordered and I kinda want a heavy linear still...

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1299 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:47:34 »
Hm, I wonder if I should get a second one...

I've got whites coming for the one I've already ordered and I kinda want a heavy linear still...

lol, only 2?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |