Author Topic: 1 year old majestouch, dodgy shift key  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Boerta

1 year old majestouch, dodgy shift key
« on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 05:07:38 »
I got a Majestouch tenkeyless almost a year ago, and now the right shift key is starting to misbehave. That is, it works, but not all the time. If i try pushing the shift key towards the enter key, it usually starts working. If i pull it the other way, towards CTRL, it usually stops working.

Does this sound like a problem I can fix myself, or should I just talk to the company I bought it from? I guess this *could* be something related to dirt in the switch or something, but I don't really know.

Offline Boerta

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 06:27:49 »
Sorry about the thread necromancy on this one, but I finally got this fixed and figured I'd give you an update.

It turms out the thin bit of exposed metal at one of the solder points for the switch had completely detached from the circuitboard along with the blob of solder on the switch pin.

I fixed it by scraping off the green varnish from the circuit path a bit further away from the solder point, and soldered on a bit of solder wick, attaching one end to the newly exposed bit of circuit and the other end to solder blob on the switch pin. It seems to work just fine.

This seems like an odd occurrence though. Has anything similar happened to anyone else?

Offline Boerta

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 11:43:09 »
Maybe I'm blind, but reading through the wiki now, I still can't find anything mentioning that particular problem o.O