Author Topic: Hi all!  (Read 1514 times)

Offline ehwc

Hi all!
« on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 16:47:12 »
So, I think this is the first forum I've ever created an account for, and it's probably because I'm the first among any of my social circles to dive deeper into the world of mechanical keyboards.

In the 6 months or so that I've learned and lurked and purchased, I've come to especially love keyboards that are either 60% or 75% form factor keyboards! No customs yet, but soon, hopefully!

I started out with stock MX Clears, but I developed a bit of an RSI on my left forearm from the exertion (am I that weak?), so I've come to appreciate lighter switches.

I don't game at all, so this journey for me has been strictly about typing and aesthetics!

Oh and I enjoy my Hario V60 and Kalita Wave, if you're into that, too.

Thanks for reading!

:)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hi all!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 06:03:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Stiff switches are not for everyone.  I have fairly strong fingers, and tend to bottom out on MX blacks, MX greens, even buckling spring!  But many do prefer the lighter switches.

Depending on how much work you want to put into it, another option is to swap the springs in the clear switches to something lighter.  Then you would get the best of both worlds.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 07:23:52 »
Welcome to GH!

I personally like using heavy switches like MX Blacks and Gateron Blacks. Personally not the biggest fan of Buckling Springs, and I haven't tried a Topre board yet.

Like rowdy mentioned it would be wise of you to swap out the springs. There's a really great GB going on through Sprit which can be found here.

If you have any questions please feel free to get in contact with anyone on here. We're glad to have you here. :thumb:

Offline ehwc

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 19:25:34 »
There's a really great GB going on through Sprit which can be found here.

Depending on how much work you want to put into it, another option is to swap the springs in the clear switches to something lighter.  Then you would get the best of both worlds.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

I actually have the 62g springs from Sprit ready to go, and I'm just waiting for some switch stickers and lube before I get started!

I've desoldered the switches (which was a pain!) but I'm excited to get all the pieces for that build.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 21:33:41 »

I actually have the 62g springs from Sprit ready to go, and I'm just waiting for some switch stickers and lube before I get started!

I've desoldered the switches (which was a pain!) but I'm excited to get all the pieces for that build.

Standard clears have around 65g springs, so I'm not sure you'll notice much difference with 62g springs.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ehwc

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 22:26:38 »
Hmm that's a bummer. For some reason I thought the spring difference would be greater than that.. I must've misread the comparison chart.. :))

I will give it a try though and let you know how it goes!

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 22:29:28 »

Standard clears have around 65g springs, so I'm not sure you'll notice much difference with 62g springs.

cherry springs are measured at actuation, while sprit's are measured at bottom-out.  Bottom-out force for clears is ~85-95g