Author Topic: Oh Dear. My wallet isn't going to like this!  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Genrilee

Oh Dear. My wallet isn't going to like this!
« on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 12:27:31 »
Hi All,
Just thought I'd start an intro as I'm hoping to post a mini log on my experience modding a Cosair K65.
I originally decided on getting a mechanical keyboard as I was hoping to learn to touch type (or at least improve on my measly 35wpm)and my Microsoft arc keyboard was starting to cause fatigue in my hands. Not really knowing what to go for I decided on the K65 as it was relatively cheap (in mech keyboard terms) and I liked the brushed aluminium look. I've since found that Cherry reds are way too sensitive and exacerbates typos. Cue Geekhack and the joys of modding.

Trial and error and a bag of new switches later I now have a nice tactile, though not perfect keyboard.

Next purchase may well be a HHKB pro 2 because the sound from the keys are just so lush.  :p
I may also have a go at molding a few keycaps just to learn a new skill - although I'm no the most artistic person.

Anyway, happy geekhacking to you all.
HHKB pro2 (silence mod)/ Corsair K65 (ergoclear switches)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: Oh Dear. My wallet isn't going to like this!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 12:31:36 »
Welcome!

Hhkb is love, hhkb is life :)

Enjoy GH and hopefully you'll find everything you need to help you on your keyboard journey!

Also, very cool avatar :D

Offline Genrilee

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 05:29:15 »
Thanks,
The GH forum has been a great resource for my mini project. Looking forward to discover more gems.
HHKB pro2 (silence mod)/ Corsair K65 (ergoclear switches)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 05:56:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

HHKB's are great (typed on my HHKB) :D

The only down side is that there are very few replacement keycap sets for Topre keyboard in general.  Still, at least most artisans make Topre keycaps :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 08:00:00 »
Welcome to GH! I like your Lupin avatar. :cool:

I didn't like reds that much either. I prefer heavier switches.  :) have any  )

We're glad to have you here and if you have any question feel free to message any of us.

Offline Altis

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 21:59:56 »
I love how every new member is already aware of what a money pit this place and hobby are by the time they join the forum.

Welcome!
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 22:18:40 »
I love how every new member is already aware of what a money pit this place and hobby are by the time they join the forum.

Welcome!

You can research the prices, but until you start buying I don't think anyone truly understands how much money can disappear how quickly!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ