Author Topic: My family is concerned  (Read 2408 times)

Offline ploopy07

My family is concerned
« on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 18:46:00 »
I'm pretty new to mech keyboards but I already have 3... That is about 1 per month after my first purchase. I'm addicted to the beauty of mechanical keyboards and I'm not searching for rehab, but for more keyboards and keysets. I've been lurking around geekhack for a while but I decided to make an account because I can not longer resist some of the group buys going on around here  ;D.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: My family is concerned
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 19:55:35 »
Wait till they see how grown men act like girls over pieces of plastic. Then they will be even more concerned.

BUY HHKB AND RUN. RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. THIS IS A WASTELAND OF PLASTIC SKULLS. EVERY MAN FOR THEMSELVES.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 20:38:41 »
+1 on the artisan caps warning. But a good cherry board with nice thick PBT is just as good as HHKB. I do recommend being wary over group buys. Don't buy them for hype, buy them because you actually can use them on a board that will look good and improve feel.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 20:42:51 »
Buy more keyboards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 21:58:43 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Only three?  Won't last for long ;)

Which three have you got?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 09:51:39 »
Just say it's your hobby and hobbies mean different thing to people. If it's your own money then say you can do what you want with your own money.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 18:07:21 »
Purchasing a quality item is an investment. It saves you buying a new cheap one every year because the previous cheap one broke.

And you would get the benefits of superior key feel, n-key rollover and responsiveness for all that time.

Offline ploopy07

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 18:38:54 »

I've got a kbp v60 with matias clicks, one with clears, and a kul es 87 with blues. Got the v60 with clicks because I wanted to try them, It's my favorite by far.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 18:39:56 »

I've got a kbp v60 with matias clicks, one with clears, and a kul es 87 with blues. Got the v60 with clicks because I wanted to try them, It's my favorite by far.

Nice selection :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 18:41:15 »
I'm pretty new to mech keyboards but I already have 3... That is about 1 per month after my first purchase. I'm addicted to the beauty of mechanical keyboards and I'm not searching for rehab, but for more keyboards and keysets. I've been lurking around geekhack for a while but I decided to make an account because I can not longer resist some of the group buys going on around here  ;D.

If they are concerned about you having 3 keyboards, you need a different hobby quick!  They might call the intervention team if you get up to 4!  Be careful!

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 19:02:42 »
ha! 3 isn't that bad...
i once told my lady, that every time she buys a pair of shoes. i'm going to buy a new keyboard.
granted she still has more shoes than i have keyboards. but it still applies right?

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 22:32:12 »
I've been good and only bought two so far, but that will change very soon...

Just remember food is more important and you're good :)

Offline tkim

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 05:31:31 »
I've been speaking to someone who amassed 18 keyboards in the space of 3 months, so you aren't doing so bad ;)

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 14:46:50 »
Welcome!

3 is not bad at all. I keep a "pit" full of rubber domes and other older mech boards (I think they're all ALPS). This doesn't include my daily drivers or other projects I'm actively working on.

So if it's any help...have your family read this thread (or spend 5 minutes on this forum), 3 is not that bad  :D

And yeah, stay away from artisans and/or the marketplace entirely... ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 22:12:53 »
I've been speaking to someone who amassed 18 keyboards in the space of 3 months, so you aren't doing so bad ;)

That's quite doable :p

ha! 3 isn't that bad...
i once told my lady, that every time she buys a pair of shoes. i'm going to buy a new keyboard.
granted she still has more shoes than i have keyboards. but it still applies right?

I feel that a keyboard would equate to a dress, and a keycap set would equate to a pair of shoes.  Artisan keycaps would equate to a pair of designer shoes ;)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 00:54:52 »
Just say it's your hobby and hobbies mean different thing to people. If it's your own money then say you can do what you want with your own money.

You obviously aren't married  :p. My wife still gives me a crazy look when one (or two, ...or three) keyboards show up a month on the doorstep each month. And I've been at this for years and she still is no closer to understanding the love of clack.
<- My Collection (so far)