Author Topic: What's a good keyset to slap novelties on?  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Barndenn

What's a good keyset to slap novelties on?
« on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 16:26:32 »
Any suggestions?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: What keyset is good for slapping novelties on?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 16:38:02 »
Novelties or sculpted artisan caps?

Either way I think the best way is to pick a set in colours you like, then find novelties to match.  This way you already like the look of your board and you don't have to enter every sale (there are plenty!) until you see something that matches, so your wallet stays more healthy :thumb:

One other consideration is height - Cherry, DSA and G20 profile caps are short so a Bro Bot v2, Clack skull or HWS Slo-Fi (and many other artisan caps) will tower over the standard caps.  If you're planning on putting them on the F row of your QFR this isn't much of a problem but on a 60% it can be awkward.  Most novelties (unless they are included with a cap set or otherwise labelled) are in OEM profile.

Happy hunting :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Barndenn

Re: What's a good keyset to slap novelties on?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 16:55:09 »
I have some novelty keycaps which include: Saitama, Orange and Yellow Gudetama, Lonely Panda, LOD Red translucent. Meanwhile I have an amethyst gem artisan on the way after the drop closes for Massdrop. I pulled the trigger as soon as it dropped again on Massdrop.

In my case with the amethyst gem artisan that's coming in I might try to find a keyset to work with that.

Thanks for the tip about picking a color set first. That makes more sense than trying to accommodate novelties/artisans. I'm just so tempted to buying many novelties and artisans.  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 05:39:10 »
If it's a one-of-a-kind, the Esc position is traditional.

Otherwise it depends, as orange said, whether you prefer colour-matching or profile-matching.

Despite all the sets and artisans I have, I don't have that many that match, so I usually go for whatever I feel like a the time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Barndenn

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 15:14:45 »

Otherwise it depends, as orange said, whether you prefer colour-matching or profile-matching.

I think for me it's probably color-matching considering how much purple I have. But I would like to try out a new keyset soon to get a feel for other profiles and themes.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 16:27:36 »
Miami can't look any worse than it already does, so really anything goes with that keyset ;)

Or any eye-gouging rainbow set.

Offline Barndenn

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 16:54:40 »
Miami can't look any worse than it already does, so really anything goes with that keyset ;)

Or any eye-gouging rainbow set.

Tfw I was almost convinced into buying a rainbow set but I stopped myself.  :thumb:

Offline keyladding

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 12:24:07 »
Good idea.  Start with solid color blanks before going all vomit.  :'(

Offline Barndenn

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 15:21:48 »

I feel like I'm going to go through a vomit phase in the future.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 21:48:14 »

I feel like I'm going to go through a vomit phase in the future.

Depends how many keycaps you eat.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ