Author Topic: Where can I buy "The Amazing Chocolatier" keycap set?  (Read 7333 times)

Offline Row009

Where can I buy "The Amazing Chocolatier" keycap set?
« on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:06:39 »
Hi,

I would very much like to purchase a set of The Amazing Chocolatier keycaps set;
The drop on Massdrop is no longer active.
Where can I find them for sale?

---

*As seen here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79722.0

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Where can I buy "The Amazing Chocolatier" keycap set?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:08:02 »
You'll have to wait for them to be delivered and for someone to post a set for sale, you can't just go buy them.

Offline Row009

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:09:28 »
You'll have to wait for them to be delivered and for someone to post a set for sale, you can't just go buy them.

So they can't be found elsewhere than Massdrop?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:11:16 »
Nope.  It was a group buy.  And it isn't even theoretically available, not being scheduled for manufacture/delivery until February, 2017

Offline Row009

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:16:40 »
Nope.  It was a group buy.  And it isn't even theoretically available, not being scheduled for manufacture/delivery until February, 2017

:(
How much would it cost to custom make these, if indeed that is an option?,
And where can that be done (again, if at all...)?
And while I'm already at it, Do you know of other film themed keycap sets?
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:21:19 by Row009 »

Offline Row009

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:19:52 »

---Mistake---
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:22:00 by Row009 »

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:35:48 »
My guess is that you're going to have to wait till the GB is over, as some vendors may have picked up a few sets to sell (techkeys, keypop, pimpmykeyboard, etc.).

If you are unfamiliar with the group-buy format, you should understand that those who don't join the original group-buy are generally unable to obtain a set until the buy is completed and people don't want their sets anymore or a vendor picks up and sells them. That or if people end up canceling their order, leftovers will be sold on hand
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:43:53 »
How much would it cost to custom make these, if indeed that is an option?,
And where can that be done (again, if at all...)?

You could do custom cap sets at WASD, but they will be fairly thin ABS and won't have the same color selection.

Custom keycaps can be created and purchased from here:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keycap-set.html

Here are some examples of what has been made with their keysets:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wasdkeyboards

Good luck!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 17:09:23 »
You can't order this set as a one off through Signature Plastics if that's what you're asking. You could probably match the color scheme and have a one off made but either way the price will probably rival the price of a fully assembled GON keyboard (or perhaps more $) Definitely a delicious looking set :p

Offline Birdsht

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 12:49:42 »
I can sell you my set when they arrive if the base and modifier sets are enough for you.

Bought a keyboard that does not support the set (Tada68) and have no future plans on using them.

I purchased though the Massdrop group buy.  Cost would be $92 after paypal fees + actual shipping cost of your choice.

Can list them on my 17 year old eBay account with 600+ feedbacks if you prefer.  Fees for ebay would extend the price 10% more.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 August 2016, 14:49:13 by Birdsht »

Offline Row009

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 17:54:05 »
I can sell you my set when they arrive if the base and modifier sets are enough for you.

Bought a keyboard that does not support the set (Tada68) and have no future plans on using them.

I purchased though the Massdrop group buy.  Cost would be $92 after paypal fees + actual shipping cost of your choice.

Can list them on my 17 year old eBay account with 600+ feedbacks if you prefer.  Fees for ebay would extend the price 10% more.

Thanks for the offer, but I was actually interested only in the novelties (or base+novelties);
Sent you a PM too...

Offline Birdsht

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 03:51:24 »
Yeah I figured it was a long shot on configuration. Just wanted to offer them up since you went as far as to post just for that set.

There will be no shortage of people interested in them should I ever actually get them.  Got an update email today, same Feb. estimated ship date.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 12:03:19 »
You can't order this set as a one off through Signature Plastics if that's what you're asking. You could probably match the color scheme and have a one off made but either way the price will probably rival the price of a fully assembled GON keyboard (or perhaps more $) Definitely a delicious looking set :p

You can order it as a oneoff, actually.  You'd need to submit your own info and pay the very high price for a single set but it's possible as was confirmed by Melissa.  It's just not worth the price, typically.  Better to wait until the production run is done and see if Signature Plastics puts any up for direct sale.  That or buy from someone that no longer wants the set.

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 12:16:40 »
You can order it as a oneoff, actually.  You'd need to submit your own info and pay the very high price for a single set but it's possible as was confirmed by Melissa.  It's just not worth the price, typically.  Better to wait until the production run is done and see if Signature Plastics puts any up for direct sale.  That or buy from someone that no longer wants the set.
Out of curiosity, what was the pricing for a one off? Could you link the thread with this info?
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 August 2016, 12:24:33 by dustigroove »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 12:49:10 »
Out of curiosity, what was the pricing for a one off? Could you link the thread with this info?

Can't recall the price off the top of my head but I recall it being several hundred dollars at least.  I know someone had mentioned it before in another thread but I don't remember what thread.

Offline zslane

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 13:56:07 »
Last year I asked for a quote from Melissa for a one-off set and it was $700.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 13:59:54 »

Holy guacamole! I wasn't that far off in my estimate. That's like a custom GON with custom cabling, sleeve and maybe a mouse

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 14:38:40 »
Thanks. That certainly is substantial... I figured at $300 - 350 a unique set would be a stretch, but doable. At $700... uh, just no.

Offline kingpilcrow

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 15:06:53 »

Was that for SA Keycaps?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 16:00:17 »
That brings up a question- when people have group buys, is the price they're charging the price from SP for that volume?  Or are they making something on the top?

Offline mathilda

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 16:30:33 »

How many caps in your one-off set?

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 16:37:07 »
That brings up a question- when people have group buys, is the price they're charging the price from SP for that volume?  Or are they making something on the top?

My guess is that, with the effort it takes to make such a small quantity, it isn't worth their time as they are busy working on other projects. It's kind of like... if you were running a manufacturing facility and dealt with high volume orders all the time (literally thousands of units of x or y) and you get an email from somebody asking to make just 1 of something, it would seem like a huge waste of time unless that individual is willing to shell out some serious cash to justify bringing out the equipment made for that specific mold/keycap set
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline zslane

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 16:45:08 »
My quote was for a standard 104-key ANSI set of blue/gray SA keycaps with Space Cadet legends.

This was before I learned about 7bit's Round 6 group buy.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 17:21:04 »

My guess is that, with the effort it takes to make such a small quantity, it isn't worth their time as they are busy working on other projects. It's kind of like... if you were running a manufacturing facility and dealt with high volume orders all the time (literally thousands of units of x or y) and you get an email from somebody asking to make just 1 of something, it would seem like a huge waste of time unless that individual is willing to shell out some serious cash to justify bringing out the equipment made for that specific mold/keycap set

Sorry.  I meant the GB organizer.  If the keyset is listed at $125 for a 100 MOQ, will SP (or whomever is making the set) charge $12,500?  Or is it less than that, and part of that fee for the GB organizer?

Offline zslane

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 19:26:03 »
Each group buy agent will add a percentage on top to cover their own operating costs and to make a small profit.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 19:47:37 »
Each group buy agent will add a percentage on top to cover their own operating costs and to make a small profit.

Thanks!  I'm thinking of doing a different version of a GB, and for that, I'd need something to recoup costs.

Offline milchek

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 20:06:01 »
This is what makes the group buys so interesting. Sometimes you may not necessarily need the set straight away, but because of scarcity it could be a good idea to purchase. I was in two minds about the chocolatier set but in the end didn't get it.

Offline _cramil

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 08:34:05 »
I may be interested if you still have these? I just missed out on the MD GB  :(

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 10:02:29 »

How many caps in your one-off set?
That is much cheaper than I expected to be honest. If the regular set costs $125 or something just assume that half of that is material costs, maybe less.
The big costs comes from resetting the plastic extruder machine, putting in the mold for a different key, cleaning it mid-run to switch to a different color. Since that is probably all hand labor @$$ per hour it will add up quickly.
Let's say $2-5 per single key and you can tell where that money goes.
The big advantage with GBs is that you can spread out those costs over a larger number so the cost per key goes down rapidly to mere cents.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 19:21:21 »
damn that set looks delicious
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!