Author Topic: Getting key caps for the Steelseries 6Gv2  (Read 35852 times)

Offline tethyrian

Getting key caps for the Steelseries 6Gv2
« on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 18:27:27 »
I just recently got the 6Gv2, and I wanted to customize the key caps. I wanted to get all label-less keys, and have the inside keys (a-z ,./\;'[] keys) be white, and the rest be black. I also wanted 4 red keys for WASD, and a custom esc key. My concern is, how would I go about getting a blank key for this gigantic enter key? Also, where would I buy these keycaps from? The esc key I wanted to get white with some like this on it (http://tinyurl.com/6r4874w). Now, I'm wondering if all of this is possible/where I would get the key caps from, any help is REALLY appreciated.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 20:15:27 »
I think wasdkeyboards can do that for you. They allow for custom color/labels. Not sure about the enter tho.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2012, 20:32:03 by hazeluff »
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Jophess

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 23:09:03 »
The biggest problems with custom key caps for the 6Gv2 are the big enter, the small right shift, and the |\ key next to the shift. Though, it looks like wasdkeyboards now has blanks keys for everything but the big enter.

The only place I know to get a blank big enter key is from 7bit's group buy, and even then I'm not sure about that. You could also just put a normal enter key there and put a dummy key above it where |\ normally is on other keyboards.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 01:01:43 »
Quote from: Jophess;490837
You could also just put a normal enter key there and put a dummy key above it where |\ normally is on other keyboards.
This is what I would do, but I really hate unnecessarily huge enter keys.

Offline Lamaboi

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 07:01:51 »
Buy custom sets from Imsto or Qtan and mixmatch the caps?

I wrote to them about those some time ago, and they both offer custom keycap sets compatible for 7g and 6gv2 boards.

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 08:15:31 »
Isn't this the enter key?
So couldn't you buy a keycap set, and custom keycaps?

Offline OkGold

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 08:33:33 »
oh wow, did a search for this and didn't thinkk there would be such a recent thread!

i'm in this boat too with my 7g, I ordered some caps from wasd and knew there would be a problem with the Enter key:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 37563[/ATTACH]

I've figured out all the other inconsistencies (well.. for now my BKSPC says "Esc"), but two problems remain:

• The Enter key - as you can see, Steelseries uses a really weird method of stabilization for this key only, no other keys are like this, it's really quite odd. I've put a normal key in it's place, and it's fine, but obviously were all about the visuals here. The ISO key from WASD wouldn't work, because wasd has trouble being as retarded as SS (I kid! huge Steelseries fan, but this is a little annoying)
• The Space bar - I'll take a picture if anyone wants, but the stabilizers on the 7Gs spacebar are about 1cm closer together than the WASD standard, I took the picture with the wobbly WASD one, but really it's unusable.

anyone have any ideas? I figure i'll just end up painting this one, or molding my own in it's likeness

Offline Human

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 08:51:33 »
Quote from: OkGold;491003
oh wow, did a search for this and didn't thinkk there would be such a recent thread!

i'm in this boat too with my 7g, I ordered some caps from wasd and knew there would be a problem with the Enter key:

(Attachment Link) 37563[/ATTACH]

I've figured out all the other inconsistencies (well.. for now my BKSPC says "Esc"), but two problems remain:

• The Enter key - as you can see, Steelseries uses a really weird method of stabilization for this key only, no other keys are like this, it's really quite odd. I've put a normal key in it's place, and it's fine, but obviously were all about the visuals here. The ISO key from WASD wouldn't work, because wasd has trouble being as retarded as SS (I kid! huge Steelseries fan, but this is a little annoying)
• The Space bar - I'll take a picture if anyone wants, but the stabilizers on the 7Gs spacebar are about 1cm closer together than the WASD standard, I took the picture with the wobbly WASD one, but really it's unusable.

anyone have any ideas? I figure i'll just end up painting this one, or molding my own in it's likeness

Yup, SS7G is using the rare/strange layout of BIGASS ENTER, which more often to be found on Chinese Board instead.

For the spacebar, it is called nonstandard(over more commonly used standard as seen on Ducky, FILCO and Cherry). Other keyboards which also use the "nonstandard" are Leopold, Zowie, Noppoo Choc Pro PBT, Keycool and KBC PBT spacebar. You can try to seek them from QTAN or TheProfosist.

Offline VPX

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 09:49:37 »
Quote from: Jophess;490837
The biggest problems with custom key caps for the 6Gv2 are the big enter, the small right shift, and the |\ key next to the shift. Though, it looks like wasdkeyboards now has blanks keys for everything but the big enter.

The only place I know to get a blank big enter key is from 7bit's group buy, and even then I'm not sure about that. You could also just put a normal enter key there and put a dummy key above it where |\ normally is on other keyboards.

You meant backspace instead of right shift, right? ;)
Hack Amethyst 3000 key cap set coming when it\'s done (2012)

Offline Jophess

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 09:52:22 »
Quote from: VPX;491024
You meant backspace instead of right shift, right? ;)

No, the 6Gv2 has a short right shift and normal backspace, while the 7G has a short backspace and normal right shift.

Offline VPX

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 09:58:08 »
Sorry, just looked at the first picture of Lamaboi.
Hack Amethyst 3000 key cap set coming when it\'s done (2012)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 12:45:08 »
Quote from: PixelVandalism;490998
Isn't this the enter key?
So couldn't you buy a keycap set, and custom keycaps?
no, that's an ISO enter key. What you need is the "bigass" enter key.

The iso style is bigger on top, and the "bigass" is bigger on the bottom.

Offline Lamaboi

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 14:18:00 »
Quote from: VPX;491032
Sorry, just looked at the first picture of Lamaboi.

The picture of the black keycaps was a SS 7G, white SS 6Gv2. KBC makes a universal set compatible for both boards which include all the necessay keys regardless of which SteelSeries board you have.

Also, about the big-ass enter from round4, it has different stem spacing so it won't fit a 6Gv2 board.

Offline tethyrian

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 16:12:48 »
Alright, think I've got a couple of my choices decided. Go with two keys for the enter key (regular enter, and regular "\", right?) or buy a single blank enter key cap from Imstro or Qtan (do they allow buying single caps, because if they do, I will be going with this choice).

Now, one last question. For the right shift key, it is a little smaller, would a caps lock key, or regular \ key work there? Not sure which, wondering if anyone has replaced them already and can lead me to some insight.

Because if this is so, I would wind up buying the following:
-Keycap set and key puller from wasd
-Custom escape key, extra caps lock key(for right shift, would this work?), and extra row 1 key (for "\" key)
-Custom enter key from either Imstro or Qtan (if they allow single key cap buying, checking this out now)

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 16:48:29 »
Quote from: tethyrian;491191
Alright, think I've got a couple of my choices decided. Go with two keys for the enter key (regular enter, and regular "\", right?) or buy a single blank enter key cap from Imstro or Qtan (do they allow buying single caps, because if they do, I will be going with this choice).

Now, one last question. For the right shift key, it is a little smaller, would a caps lock key, or regular \ key work there? Not sure which, wondering if anyone has replaced them already and can lead me to some insight.

Because if this is so, I would wind up buying the following:
-Keycap set and key puller from wasd
-Custom escape key, extra caps lock key(for right shift, would this work?), and extra row 1 key (for "\" key)
-Custom enter key from either Imstro or Qtan (if they allow single key cap buying, checking this out now)

The capslock is from a different row so has a slightly different profile.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline tethyrian

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 16:50:47 »
Hmm.. Trying think what I could use for the smaller shift..

Offline Jophess

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 17:17:37 »
It looks like wasdkeyboards has the small shift (1.75x) available now.

Offline voodoo.mutt

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 00:27:59 »
hi, can anyone confirm what size the SS 6GV2 shift keys are in WASDkeyboards.com parlance?    I'm thinking about replacing the various modifier keys.  Looking at the keys i think Left Shift is 2.25x and Right Shift is 1.25?

Offline aizen

Re: Getting key caps for the Steelseries 6Gv2
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 04:22:54 »
I found dimensions of keycaps from wasdkeyboard.com. Maybe it helps for 6GV2 modifying.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/resources/keycap-layout
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 October 2012, 04:24:51 by aizen »

Offline bounce

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 16:20:37 »
I think your best bet is to buy a complete keyset from taobao,They offer fully compatible sets and i think you can get that over qtan as a taobao agent.
i

Offline phyzR

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 16:57:22 »
Hey,
I'm currently thinking about getting custom keycaps for my 6gv2 as well. I plan to buy the 104-Keycap set from WASD. So to clear things up, the 6gv2 uses "standard" sized keys, except for:
- big enter key -> R3 1.5 + R2 2.25 as a split enter key
- smaller right shift key to fit another 1.0 key in the row -> buy an extra R1 1.0 key and a R1 1.75 key as the right shift
+
- since I use the german layout which uses an 1.25 left shift key to fit another 1.0 key in the row -> buy R1 1.25 as left shift and another R1 1.0
Would that actually work?
(http://www.teccentral.de/forum/attachments/testberichte-reviews-ratgeber-hardware-software-computer-f305/razer-blackwidow-ultimate-vs-steelseries-6gv2-mechanische-gaming-tastaturen-vergleich-11986d1302178668/steelseries-6gv2-details-10.jpg)

Thanks for your help  :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2012, 17:29:23 by phyzR »

Offline YMSNoms

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 06:47:34 »
It's bassically an Iso layout to be honest.
Leopold FC700R
Filco Majestouch-2 Multicamo
Korean FR4-87 Lambo Orange Custom

Offline phyzR

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 09:07:31 »
The 6gv2 has smaller shifts and another enter key I think.