Author Topic: Ducky Shine 2 Keycaps anyone?  (Read 10767 times)

Offline etech1

Ducky Shine 2 Keycaps anyone?
« on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 14:13:28 »
I have two Ducky Shine II's and I have been searching for different color keycaps that allow the LED to shine through the numbers/letters. Can someone give me an online resource where I can order some?

I don't want semi-transparent caps either, just a solid color that allows the light through the characters.

Please help.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Ducky Shine 2 Keycaps anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 14:57:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A good question to open with, and one for which I do not have an answer.

I have seen none, but if you do find any, please let me know :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline firebt

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 15:28:35 »
I'm on the lookout too.  So far, only one manufacturer can do it, www.keycapsdirect.com  or Signature Plastics.  Really expensive though, minimum custom order of 10 sets and they cost $70 each or something.  I guess maybe in the future when we can organize a group buy.  There are rumors of Ducky about to release some, but we'll see.  It's expensive though, since they have to make a translucent keycap, paint it, then cut out where the paint was. 

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 20:18:47 »
This would be awesome.  I'm looking at a Shine II but am still hesitant as they show the standard-press item on top and the Shift-press item on bottom which seems incorrect to me. 

Offline firebt

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 20:26:39 »
Ahaha.  I know what you mean  :D it was confusing the crap out of my friend.  They just make it like that because the position of the LED is on top, so they want the main part lit up.  With the LED backlight, it makes much more sense and I guarantee you won't make the error after just 30 minutes of use if not less lol.  But yeah, people have said that...but nothing beats the reactive mode  :cool:

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 20:42:40 »
Ahaha.  I know what you mean  :D it was confusing the crap out of my friend.  They just make it like that because the position of the LED is on top, so they want the main part lit up.  With the LED backlight, it makes much more sense and I guarantee you won't make the error after just 30 minutes of use if not less lol.  But yeah, people have said that...but nothing beats the reactive mode  :cool:

In all honesty, it shouldn't be a huge issue.  I don't really ever look down at the keyboard.  It's just that my mind wants things set up in a way it thinks is logical ;)

The other thing causing me to pause is that I really don't have any practical use for the LEDs.  My office room is well lit and I'm very much a fan of a well lit computing area.  That and the non-LED Ducky does look really nice.

At least the wife has begrudgingly accepted the purchase when I do get around to it :D

Offline Truday

• Grunt Life
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 23:57:53 »
I have two Ducky Shine II's and I have been searching for different color keycaps that allow the LED to shine through the numbers/letters. Can someone give me an online resource where I can order some?

I don't want semi-transparent caps either, just a solid color that allows the light through the characters.

Please help.

Wow... you seriously just read my mind. I was literally going to post the exact same thing... :eek: I have 3x Ducky Shine 2 TKL (Returning my YOTD w/ Blues  :'() and I bought 4 sets of of PBT key caps to replace the ABS keys on the Ducky Shine 2's and uh I guess I didn't do enough research and more than likely I just didn't think about if the keys were also backlit friendly. Well last night I decided to tryout the PBT keys and... yeah. Darkness. :mad: Yeah not too happy. I mean I could just return them since the ABS keys aren't that bad but meh. Kind of hard to decide since I have no idea when backlit friendly PBT key caps are going to be available for a decent price. :( One of the main reasons I bought a Ducky is because I wanted quality along with LED back lighting. Guess maybe I can muffle the backlighting lol...

-Truday
Currently own:
Noppoo Choc Mini Noppoo Choc Mini, CM QuickFire TK,CM QuickFire Rapid
CM QuickFire Rapid

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 00:12:29 »
If you can't return the keycap sets, you can probably sell them here in classifieds (once you reach 60 posts).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline firebt

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 01:35:47 »
Personally, if you don't like the YotD, just keep it.  I'm sure it'll be worth more later, some guy will want it.  It's limited edition.  I would hang on to it.  (jealous)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 12:24:49 »
Personally, if you don't like the YotD, just keep it.  I'm sure it'll be worth more later, some guy will want it.  It's limited edition.  I would hang on to it.  (jealous)

My wife's been on an investment kick and was asking about doing such things with wine.  I should buy a Dragon and tell her, "yes, dear, I'm going to sell it later for a profit!"

>.>

<.<

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 12:52:06 »
Don't know if serious, or not.

Please don't try to sell things for profit here. This is a community forum, and we like to help each other out. If you want to sell something that's in like new condition, you can generally get what you paid for it. If it's used, you're probably going to take about a 20% hit off the original price. You will also likely take a hit on the shipping cost, as it's not fair to ask people to pay your shipping AND for shipping to them.

This is not the place to try and buy something, then turn around and flip it for a tidy profit, just because it's a "limited edition" or whatever. The nice thing about the classifieds is, that if you buy something, and you aren't happy with it, you can generally sell it to someone else who might want it, while minimizing your loss. But making a profit off your fellow keyboard enthusiasts is not in the spirit of this forum.

/rant
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 13:14:47 »
I don't believe I ever mentioned specifically selling it here.  Just that I could use it as an argument to my wife to buy a more expensive keyboard ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 13:17:20 »
Buy some CCs at retail, then wait ...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 13:50:57 »
Buy some CCs at retail, then wait ...

... and sell it for the same retail price. I just sold a "3D" for $30. Sorry you missed out. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 15:05:24 »
Damn!  When?!?!

Offline firebt

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 16:56:15 »
Don't know if serious, or not.

Please don't try to sell things for profit here. This is a community forum, and we like to help each other out. If you want to sell something that's in like new condition, you can generally get what you paid for it. If it's used, you're probably going to take about a 20% hit off the original price. You will also likely take a hit on the shipping cost, as it's not fair to ask people to pay your shipping AND for shipping to them.

This is not the place to try and buy something, then turn around and flip it for a tidy profit, just because it's a "limited edition" or whatever. The nice thing about the classifieds is, that if you buy something, and you aren't happy with it, you can generally sell it to someone else who might want it, while minimizing your loss. But making a profit off your fellow keyboard enthusiasts is not in the spirit of this forum.

/rant

...umm...lol I didn't mean "Oh hey, buy this keyboard so later you can turn around and rip some poor kid off on this website!" No, no...I meant sell it on eBay man.  Some poor soul is going to want it so damn bad he'll pay top dollar.  The man point is to sell it at the right time before it becomes obsolete ;)

And there's NOTHING wrong with making some money.  This is America for God's sake.  LOL I won't do it here, obviously because I see it as a community, but when it comes to eBay...its an open market fellas :) I've made quite some money on that site selling scarves lol.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 03:26:03 »
GL @ Investment. This isn't a very limited limited edition. YotO, YotT, YotR combined is still less than YotD.

Offline firebt

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 05:09:58 »
GL @ Investment. This isn't a very limited limited edition. YotO, YotT, YotR combined is still less than YotD.

True, so consider that.  Like he said, it's not a guaranteed sell like an oldschool mint condition IBM M or any of those coveted boards.  But regardless, I think you'll be able to sell it later, most likely not for a profit but possibly just a little less.