Author Topic: [GB] GMK Symbiote — Incubation complete... (Shipping!)  (Read 206137 times)

Offline svenge

Re: [GB] GMK Symbiote — It's alive!
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 23 June 2021, 15:36:12 »
Just wanted to say... I'm going in / supporting this kit (Base, Standard Galactic, and Metamorph) as I want to live in a world where the Standard Galactic Alphabet exists on GMK.  Only reason I was a bit torn on my decision was because the colors don't really match anything else Commander Keen related.  It just feels like there should be some bold yellow alphas with red legends involved here (like shown in the games, typically).  Maybe one day...

That being said, I really like the colors of the set anyway.  Really wish you had a render on a white Sat75, as that is what I'm suspecting I'm going to put this on.

Offline Xherion

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 01:56:23 »
Just reserved a set too.

Hope the membrane turns out to be ok.....

Offline norb

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 05:42:38 »
Just reserved a set too.

Hope the membrane turns out to be ok.....

you can expect the same characteristics as seen in the laserwave kit, just because that's the way the production works. if you're pressure shooting hot liquid plastic onto the same cool plastic, of course some of it will melt and start to flow.
getting angry at the quality the first time is excusable, because it has never been done before, but the second time? your fault.

if you don't like the way the laserwave caps look like, don't but the membrane.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 08:41:08 »
I, for one, hope my membrane keycaps look globby and ****ing freaky as hell.  I think the "organic" nature of how the inner shot may flow fits the theme of the set nicely.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Xherion

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 19:38:46 »
That’s a very good point lol

Offline Xherion

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 01:14:16 »
Any update on MOQ tally?

Offline pikku-allu

• IG: @kinnalek
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 09:48:25 »
Just wanted to say... I'm going in / supporting this kit (Base, Standard Galactic, and Metamorph) as I want to live in a world where the Standard Galactic Alphabet exists on GMK.  Only reason I was a bit torn on my decision was because the colors don't really match anything else Commander Keen related.  It just feels like there should be some bold yellow alphas with red legends involved here (like shown in the games, typically).  Maybe one day...

That being said, I really like the colors of the set anyway.  Really wish you had a render on a white Sat75, as that is what I'm suspecting I'm going to put this on.

The thing is that GMK Symbiote is not a Commander Keen set, it just uses the SGA. I can see why you'd wish for more Commander Keen related things though. The set does go well with white too, I'll see if I have time to render it on a white board.

I, for one, hope my membrane keycaps look globby and ****ing freaky as hell.  I think the "organic" nature of how the inner shot may flow fits the theme of the set nicely.

Exactly! This was taken into consideration as well. It's a win-win in either case in my opinion.

Any update on MOQ tally?

Every kit will be produced!

Offline Xherion

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 06:18:46 »
Thanks for the update:)

Offline dvllpxe

Re: [GB] GMK Symbiote — Infestation imminent
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 16:57:48 »
Will there be any collabs or artisans?

i would also like to know if there are any collabs out there or to come

Offline Daniel

Re: [GB] GMK Symbiote — It's alive! (Ending July 9th)
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 11:59:18 »
Is it possible to see a render on a white board?

Thanks

Offline pikku-allu

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 20:21:18 »
Is it possible to see a render on a white board?

Thanks

E-white AKB Aella:

« Last Edit: Thu, 08 July 2021, 20:36:31 by pikku-allu »

Offline Nerisai

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 05:52:21 »
I just signed up! This is my first ever group buy :) Can't wait to receive them!

Offline evidentLEE

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 16:14:53 »
Any plans for a Cable collaboration?
Give a man a gun, he'll rob a bank. Give a man a bank, he'll rob the world.

Offline pillowman

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 22:36:16 »
Alright, baited in last second just because the these alts/novelties are so unique...

Offline Xherion

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 03:58:54 »
Curious about the final tally :)

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 22:31:31 »
I know the set isn't based on anything in particular, but it gave me a lot of Metroid vibes. I got the base, SGA, and the membrane, can't wait to put this on a white keyboard in the future.

Great job!!

Offline DaaDaa

Re: [GB] GMK Symbiote — Incubation in progress... (CLOSED)
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 14:47:52 »
how many base sets will be made? did you not want to publish the final  sales numbers?
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline YoungManKim

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 15:23:54 »
how many base sets will be made? did you not want to publish the final  sales numbers?

Honest question for you: Why are you so interested in the final sales numbers for so many sets? I've seen you post this question on a number of GB threads recently. For sets that are run on vendors like NovelKeys and Omnitype (which this set was run through), there generally isn't a concern about hitting MOQ. And even then, the only piece of information that really matters is if a keyset (or specific kit) either meets MOQ and gets manufactured, or if the set (or kit) gets canceled. While I do enjoy looking at these plots when they are provided (thank u mr dvorcol), I don't think they are necessary for every single set that runs.

Personally, as long as the GB Runner/Lead Vendor is providing relatively consistent production updates for a set, I don't see why final numbers have to be posted for every single GB.

Offline grezeh

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 07:19:06 »
If someone is so interested in numbers of not just one/couple sets: smells like a flipper :shrug:

Offline Dinerenblanc

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 14:33:47 »
What's the status of this GB?

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 16:47:23 »
Btw what are the final sales numbers?
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 22:23:36 »

Btw what are the final sales numbers?

Dude..

Offline Grandmasternoob

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 14:37:14 »

Extras available for purchase?

Offline pikku-allu

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 18:59:18 »

The numbers are [REDACTED].

What's the status of this GB?
https://omnitype.com/blogs/timelines/gmk-symbiote

We are currently waiting for R2 color samples from GMK.

Extras available for purchase?

Extras currently available for pre-ordering on at least Daily Clack, Oblotzky Industries & Proto[Typist] (These vendors offer extras as pre-orders)
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 February 2022, 19:01:33 by pikku-allu »

Offline jackrabbit

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 12 July 2022, 14:29:00 »
Sorry to necrobump, but I started replaying Metroid Dread this weekend and lo and behold, planet ZDR:

It's so on the nose I couldn't help but share. My excitement for this set is fully revived.
"I like my keyboards thunderous and my plates stiff." -Maledicted

Offline pikku-allu

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 05 March 2023, 08:34:18 »
Hello everyone! There isn't much to announce since at this point we are going through multiple rounds of color samples, as usual with a project like this with custom colors. It takes months between the rounds to us getting the samples after submitting feedback on them. Updates about the progress are posted here: https://omnitype.com/blogs/timelines/gmk-symbiote

Most recently we received the latest round of translucent samples from GMK late last month.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 05 March 2023, 09:25:49 »
Hello everyone! There isn't much to announce since at this point we are going through multiple rounds of color samples, as usual with a project like this with custom colors. It takes months between the rounds to us getting the samples after submitting feedback on them. Updates about the progress are posted here: https://omnitype.com/blogs/timelines/gmk-symbiote

Most recently we received the latest round of translucent samples from GMK late last month.

I guess it’s just the location difference?  I was watching Matt3o’s stream with updates on the MTNU caps he’s working on with GMK.  The one thing that he said was so nice is that color samples and changes were incredibly fast.  No more having to wait months for changes.  Maybe you need better contacts at GMK 😂
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 March 2023, 09:35:31 by pixelpusher »

Offline pikku-allu

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 05 March 2023, 09:43:00 »
I guess it’s just the location difference?  I was watching Matt3o’s stream with updates on the MTNU caps he’s working on with GMK.  The one thing that he said was so nice is that color samples and changes were incredibly fast.  No more having to wait months for changes.  Maybe you need better contacts at GMK 😂

That's a completely different keycap profile and I assume uses different machines altogether. I don't think you can compare the two. Also, it's not the shipping itself to us that takes that long.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 March 2023, 09:46:18 by pikku-allu »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 05 March 2023, 09:51:22 »

That's a completely different keycap profile and I assume uses different machines altogether. I don't think you can compare the two. Also, it's not the shipping itself to us that takes that long.

Yes, I understand.  But the process takes that long in part becuase vendors allow it to take that long.  I can get shipping from Germany in 3 days in the US.  It costs $20 extra, but it's fast.   :cool:  It's just about how much you're willing to eat in costs to get the product made I guess.  Business is business.  Matt3o specifically mentions custom colors being done within days.  I'm simply saying that it only takes them a day or two to get the communication, produce a changed product, and give that feedback (or ship) to the customer.  We know this from Matt3o.  We know it's possible for GMK to work quickly for changes.  But their Cherry profile line is not managed as efficiently.   

Looking forward to the final product at some point in time.  I think I bought every kit
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 March 2023, 10:00:59 by pixelpusher »

Offline Dewstem

« Reply #130 on: Mon, 27 March 2023, 07:51:57 »
Hi, any updates with colour matching?
Keebs owned:
Geon's F1, F2, Hiney's Poly TKL One, Singa's Kohaku, Sho's PC Snipe Silenced, Snow Edition HHKB Hybrid, Pro 3, Pro 2, Realforce 87u

Offline NightFox99

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 05 April 2023, 14:42:34 »
Updates on colormatching ?

Offline pikku-allu

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 05 April 2023, 18:23:01 »

We are expecting to receive new samples of the translucent keys very soon.

Offline NightFox99

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 06 April 2023, 02:17:32 »

We are expecting to receive new samples of the translucent keys very soon.

Thank you !  :thumb:

Offline pikku-allu

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 01 June 2023, 12:35:24 »
A small update regarding the color matching: The latest sample we received was of the doubleshot translucent pink plastic. This one was done with the actual light pink legend/inside color instead of some bright white color that the previous sample had. Having the correct color on the inside is super important when dealing with translucency, since the inside of the keycap greatly affects the overall color and look as it's visible through the outer layer.

The requested cloudy milkiness of the plastic, in order to create the proper translucent look, was not present in the latest translucent samples. However the samples before did have that and we had asked to proceed with that level of cloudiness/milkiness... We are trying to find the right balance between color and milkiness, as they both affect each other.

Despite the mistakes on GMK's/their color supplier's end, the samples are looking good overall and we're getting very close. Feedback regarding the translucent color has already been submitted. We're expecting new versions of the alpha and mod colors with minor tweaks, as well as a new translucent sample next.

Offline stefanyuog

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 19:23:43 »
I greatly appreciate the update even if still in the colormatching stage.  And the patience to keep it up until satisfactory.  I have seen too many recent GMK sets that did not match the renders at all.  Despite the long wait, I think it will be well worth the time.

Offline ppatches24

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 01:22:57 »

Insane kit and glad that a few vendors still have some available to buy.

;D
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 June 2023, 01:27:07 by ppatches24 »

Offline ppatches24

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 10 June 2023, 01:38:41 »
A small update regarding the color matching: The latest sample we received was of the doubleshot translucent pink plastic. This one was done with the actual light pink legend/inside color instead of some bright white color that the previous sample had. Having the correct color on the inside is super important when dealing with translucency, since the inside of the keycap greatly affects the overall color and look as it's visible through the outer layer.

The requested cloudy milkiness of the plastic, in order to create the proper translucent look, was not present in the latest translucent samples. However the samples before did have that and we had asked to proceed with that level of cloudiness/milkiness... We are trying to find the right balance between color and milkiness, as they both affect each other.

Despite the mistakes on GMK's/their color supplier's end, the samples are looking good overall and we're getting very close. Feedback regarding the translucent color has already been submitted. We're expecting new versions of the alpha and mod colors with minor tweaks, as well as a new translucent sample next.

Just to ask. The pink translucent keys are going to have white legends right? Not pink?

Thank you for this awesome set, looking forward to it

Offline pikku-allu

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 10 June 2023, 05:37:14 »
Just to ask. The pink translucent keys are going to have white legends right? Not pink?

The legends on the alphas and the translucent accents are indeed very light pink. It's not very noticeable and looks almost white. The light pink creates a cohesive look together with the rest of the colors.

Offline ppatches24

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 20:36:10 »

The legends on the alphas and the translucent accents are indeed very light pink. It's not very noticeable and looks almost white. The light pink creates a cohesive look together with the rest of the colors.

Oh ok, thank you for the answer! Now I know what to expect. I trust your artistic vision lol

Offline Dewstem

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 11:02:00 »
Hello,

May I ask if there are new updates on colourmatching?
Keebs owned:
Geon's F1, F2, Hiney's Poly TKL One, Singa's Kohaku, Sho's PC Snipe Silenced, Snow Edition HHKB Hybrid, Pro 3, Pro 2, Realforce 87u

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 01 September 2023, 19:26:48 »
Hello,

May I ask if there are new updates on colourmatching?

From the update page:
https://omnitype.com/blogs/timelines/gmk-symbiote

August 23: GMK brought another round of Symbiote samples to us at The Keyboard Meetup and they have also been distributed the designer so we can review and discuss.

« Last Edit: Fri, 01 September 2023, 19:35:26 by pixelpusher »

Offline pikku-allu

Re: [GB] GMK Symbiote — Incubation complete... (Production Phase)
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 22 September 2023, 14:53:53 »
🖬 
DATA_LOG_S20230922: 
Incubation complete.

⯈ Connecting...
⯈ 0% ❘❘❘❘❘❘❘❘❘❘❘❘❘❘❘❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚❚ 100%
⯈ S:\>_ Uplink established...
⯈ S:\>_ Status: GMK SYMB░░░IO░TE [COLORMATCHING COMPLETE - MOVING TO PRODUCTION]

█▎▌▛▞▙▗▝▟░░

« Last Edit: Wed, 27 September 2023, 17:51:36 by pikku-allu »

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #143 on: Sat, 23 September 2023, 00:54:06 »
Here's a color comparison to get a better understanding of the Symbiote colors:

Show Image
Show Image

Edit: made a slight adjustment

Are the color comparisons in the OP old? Probably the biggest difference between the two is GMK Bingsu's mod color.

OP light -
More

OP dark -
More

Offline pikku-allu

« Reply #144 on: Sat, 23 September 2023, 08:25:27 »
Are the color comparisons in the OP old? Probably the biggest difference between the two is GMK Bingsu's mod color.

OP light -
More
Show Image

OP dark -
More
Show Image

I think you're right, need to replace the ones is OP. This is why I've since started to add version numbers to color comparisons like that. Also, I don't own Bingsu nor Lavender so those are just guesstimates anyway ―\_(ツ)_/―

Offline ppatches24

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 26 September 2023, 16:50:36 »

⯈ S:\>_ GMK SYMBIOTE [COLORMATCHING COMPLETE - MOVING TO PRODUCTION]

█▎▌▛▞▙▗▝▟░░

Show Image

How awesome! Colors look good, the trans clear pink slaps. Question will the final set have a waffle grid for the trans clear keys background like the renders or a bar grid like the sample that was sent over. Thanks!! <3

Offline Dewstem

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 04 November 2023, 22:19:59 »
Hello,

Are there any updates on the production?

Keebs owned:

Offline Dewstem

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 02 December 2023, 09:06:30 »
Following up on the previous post,

Are there any updates on production?
Keebs owned:

Offline pikku-allu

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 02 December 2023, 12:01:44 »
Following up on the previous post,

Are there any updates on production?

No new updates, production is in progress and estimated to finish during December.

Offline Holicalis

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 07 December 2023, 09:24:49 »
Will there be extras of the other kits?