Author Topic: [IC] Manibus - Split ergonomic aluminum keyboard  (Read 9103 times)

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
[IC] Manibus - Split ergonomic aluminum keyboard
« on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 14:29:23 »
Manibus

by Blank Tehnologii

278395-0

Manibus is a 3 year passion project with the aim of building a truly ergonomical and elegant keyboard while not breaking the bank.

IC Form

0. Contents:

1. Details
2. Status
3. Pricing
4. Renders and Photos
5. FAQ

278357-1    278361-2

1. Details

- 62 keys
- staggered ortholinear layout
- cnc'd aluminum cases
- colors: anodized seaweed green & bead blasted silver
- cnc'd polycarbonate magnetic palm rests
- aluminum plates
- hotswap PCB's with USB-C
- weight is ~500g/half without palm rest and ~750g/half with palm rest
- 58x1u keys, 2x1.5u keys, 2x2.25u keys, doesn't require special ergonomic sets, a TKL set would work just fine
- QMK configurable
- 3D print the plates and try out the layout here
- expected Group Buy: Q4 2021

2. Status

Multiple 3D printed prototypes and two aluminum prototypes have been built so far.
5 rounds of PCB prototypes. Currently waiting for the 6th one to finish and get delivered.
Here's an in-depth look at the design process of the keyboard I've made a while ago.

08/30/2021 Made the switch plate files available as STL's for 3D printing. Added more photos.

09/11/2021 Opened issue to include the layout in the Split Keyboard Layout Comparison Site

10/08/2021 Third aluminum prototype arrived

10/14/2021 6th round of PCB's arrived, now with hotswap

3. Pricing

Price will start from 250€ and will be sold with and without palm rests.
Number of units will be unlimited and GB will run for a month.
Estimated GB launch date: December 1st.
More details in the upcoming GB post.

4. Renders and Photos

278363-3    278371-4

278373-5    278375-6

Exploded view

278377-7

278379-8

Plates

278381-9

PCB's

278383-10    278385-11

V1 Prototype

274867-12    274869-13    274871-14
274873-15    274875-16    275533-17

V2 Prototype

278387-18    278389-19    278355-20

278391-21    278397-22    278393-23

5. FAQ

Q: Can you provide a typing test and more pictures/renders?
A: Yes. We're working on all of the above and will update this IC regulary when they're ready.

Update: We now have two typing tests available:

Q: Are you planning to include other color options?
A: While we'd love to work with different colors, we simply don't have the capacity to ensure they will come out as expected for now. We're mainly trying to deliver two solid options and with little to no color variance between the halves.

Q: Will you provide a tenting option?
A: Short answer no. A good tenting option would increase the manufacturing cost by quite a lot and we're trying to reach a reasonable price. That being said, the underside of the cases will have m2 screw holes that can be used to either screw in different length screws to achieve a tilt or, if you're a tinkerer, attach a custom 3D printed tilting mechanism.

Q: I live in X location on Y continent, will you deliver there?
A: We are selling worldwide. As long as it's covered by DHL, we're shipping to you.

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 November 2021, 12:50:08 by SamuraiKek »

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
Re: [IC[Manibus - Split ergonomic aluminum keyboard]
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 14:35:53 »
Reserved

11/11/2021 Updated overall IC. Added more photos, renders, typing videos.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 November 2021, 12:14:42 by SamuraiKek »

Offline baobaozi

Re: [IC] Manibus - Split ergonomic aluminum keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 17:22:05 »
I like the sentiment, more splits in the world and more "higher end" ones are nice.

But this one seems to lack refinement. Have you made a proto, even if it's just a 3D printed plate to put switches and caps onto? I dare say that thumb cluster is unusable. That's not how thumbs angle, I guesstimate you'll be hitting two thumb keys at once.

ai03 is coming out with the orbit-x soon and you can see they've put more consideration into the case design.

But I wish you the best, whether you decide to revise or not

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 04:24:26 »
Hi! Thanks for your reply and thoughts.

But this one seems to lack refinement. Have you made a proto, even if it's just a 3D printed plate to put switches and caps onto?

The pictures in the post are of the aluminum prototype. Cases are anodized aluminum and wrist rests are polycarbonate. No fancy renders and studio photos yet, but we're in the middle of doing these and we'll update the post when they're ready.
You can have a look at the development process of this keyboard which took almost 3 years: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110060.0

I dare say that thumb cluster is unusable. That's not how thumbs angle, I guesstimate you'll be hitting two thumb keys at once.

We have made multiple design iterations of this keyboard, starting from a layout closer to ergodox style keyboards. Our conclusions and findings have actually led us to this more compact thumb cluster. I get into more detail about it in the development post ^. TL;DR of this would be: after using an ergodox and our first protoype for almost a year and seeing many people complain about  the thumb cluster on ergodox style boards, we've tried to do a different approach which in our opinion is much more comfortable and natural for a split style keyboard.
I will follow up with a typing test video when I get the chance.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 12:15:16 »
Interesting choice to found a full company behind this one board. I'm not a frequent ergo board user, but this layout looks pretty appealing.

Would you be open to releasing a plate file so folks can handwire a proto themselves before committing a full alu version? I know ergo layouts are highly subject, so I (and I'm sure others) may want to feel it themselves before committing?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 12:53:20 »
Interesting choice to found a full company behind this one board. I'm not a frequent ergo board user, but this layout looks pretty appealing.

Would you be open to releasing a plate file so folks can handwire a proto themselves before committing a full alu version? I know ergo layouts are highly subject, so I (and I'm sure others) may want to feel it themselves before committing?

It made sense to found a company. We have bigger plans in the future and it gives some trust to the community that we're serious about what we're doing, especially this being our first product. Handing invoices, paying income taxes, etc is also easier as a company, at least where we're from.

Releasing the plate file actually sounds like a great idea. I will set up a github repo and will update this comment and the post with a link to it once it's ready.

EDIT: Here is the link to the repo: https://github.com/SamuraiKek/manibus-switch-plates
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 August 2021, 13:45:00 by SamuraiKek »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 13:00:00 »

Releasing the plate file actually sounds like a great idea. I will set up a github repo and will update this comment and the post with a link to it once it's ready.

Hell yeah :thumb:. I'm excited to get one of these built and to try it out
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 08:47:21 »
Well, I'm happy to be proven wrong!

Any chance there's a printable layout so I could check it out?

But this one seems to lack refinement. Have you made a proto, even if it's just a 3D printed plate to put switches and caps onto?

The pictures in the post are of the aluminum prototype. Cases are anodized aluminum and wrist rests are polycarbonate. No fancy renders and studio photos yet, but we're in the middle of doing these and we'll update the post when they're ready.
You can have a look at the development process of this keyboard which took almost 3 years: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110060.0

I dare say that thumb cluster is unusable. That's not how thumbs angle, I guesstimate you'll be hitting two thumb keys at once.

We have made multiple design iterations of this keyboard, starting from a layout closer to ergodox style keyboards. Our conclusions and findings have actually led us to this more compact thumb cluster. I get into more detail about it in the development post ^. TL;DR of this would be: after using an ergodox and our first protoype for almost a year and seeing many people complain about  the thumb cluster on ergodox style boards, we've tried to do a different approach which in our opinion is much more comfortable and natural for a split style keyboard.

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 09:25:25 »
Well, I'm happy to be proven wrong!

Any chance there's a printable layout so I could check it out?

Yep, you can download the layout files from here: https://github.com/SamuraiKek/manibus-switch-plates

Offline iaji

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 22:21:38 »

here's a video of a comfy thumb row based on my hand. have you tried somethinglike this?

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 04:46:03 »
here's a video of a comfy thumb row based on my hand. have you tried somethinglike this?

Hi! Thanks for sharing that video. The thumb position when using Manibus is actually very similar to yours. I've started from a layout like yours but then I figured that if I wanted a high profile case that would go nicely with Manibus, I wouldn't be able to tray mount it without having a gap where the plate is visible between the thumb keys which I really don't like. It ruins the clean look for me. The solution was to put the keys upright, bring them close to each other and have these 1.25u and 2.25u keys that actually perform, I would say, just as well.
I could have gone with something similar to your layout, but then I would have had to change the mounting system from tray mount to a top/bottom mount which would have made the case 2 part. A 2 part case would imply higher manufacturing costs. Split alu keyboards are more expensive to machine already and adding an extra layer of complexity with a sandwich design would have only made things pricier.

That's the reason why I've designed the layout this way. It's still very comfortable, I love the desing (but that's subjective I guess) and it stays true to what I set out to do: a high quality split aluminum keyboard with a reasonable price.

Here's also a short video demonstrating the thumb position on Manibus:

Not convinced yet? Download the plate files from here: https://github.com/SamuraiKek/manibus-switch-plates and try it out yourself  :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 September 2021, 04:48:29 by SamuraiKek »

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 08:49:30 »
Interesting
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline reminbee

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 16:47:45 »
Great stuff! The thumb cluster on the ergodox has always been a little too far away from me, and caused strain after long hours of continuous use. Looks like this would help alleviate that! My only comment is filling in some of the sharper corners will help unify the design language, but I suspect that straight section is due to a limitation with the PCB? Looking forward to seeing the final result of this project.

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 13:54:58 »
Great stuff! The thumb cluster on the ergodox has always been a little too far away from me, and caused strain after long hours of continuous use. Looks like this would help alleviate that! My only comment is filling in some of the sharper corners will help unify the design language, but I suspect that straight section is due to a limitation with the PCB? Looking forward to seeing the final result of this project.

Thank you! You will love this layout then  ;D I know what you mean about filling those sharper corners but as you suspected, it's a design constraint. That's where the USB-C connector sits and filling the zone with extra material would make for a deep entry for the usb cable so I'd rather keep it like this. It has actually grown on me  :D The sollution would be to change from a tray mount design to a top/bottom mount design but that would add extra cost to manufacturing which I'm trying to keep as low as possible.

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 21:08:50 »
I have, I prefer thumb clusters that fan out more, like yours, and are N/S further away from alphas (like Draculad) because I'm a wrist floating typist, I find the thumb position is different to wrist resting.

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 12:18:56 »
Updated IC.

What's new:

1. Final case prototypes have arrived.
2. Final PCB prorotypes have arrived and are functional, now supporting hotswap sockets.
3. Moved audio jacks near the thumb cluster. Previously located next to the USB-C port at the top of the case.
4. Added more renders & photos with the new prototypes.
5. Added typing tests.
6. Updated overall information.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 November 2021, 12:25:57 by SamuraiKek »

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 12:35:24 »
Looks really promising, but will there be a stabilizer option for the 2.25u thumb key?

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 16:02:01 »
Looks really promising, but will there be a stabilizer option for the 2.25u thumb key?

Thank you. Yes, there will be. I've just realized the render with the plate doesn't have the cutouts for the stabilizers but it's going to support plate-mount stabilizers.

Here are some actual photos of the plate from our prototype:

278523-0    278525-1

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 08:20:16 »
Just got another round of high quiality photos for manibus:

PCB:

279262-0    279264-1

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 08:22:25 »
Wrist rests:

279266-0   

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 08:23:52 »
Seaweed green:

279270-0

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 08:25:30 »
Silver:

279272-0

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 08:28:27 »
279286-0    279288-1

279290-2    279292-3
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 November 2021, 08:31:52 by SamuraiKek »

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 08:33:03 »
Check out how Manibus's magnets work:

Offline SamuraiKek

• Dang ol' keyboards
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 08:35:12 »
First 30 orders will get a free set of 62 Kailh Box White clicky switches!

279294-0