Author Topic: [IC] Alps DCS Infinity mods kit  (Read 56745 times)

Offline geniekid

Re: [IC] Alps DCS Infinity mods kit
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 08:26:55 »
Ok, here is the pricing: 
Once again, I have added a small amount to the initial costs to cover shipping to me, but they still don't include the paypal and shipping from me.

Infinity Kit
25 sets                   $59.16 per set
50 sets                   $43.22 per set
75 sets                   $37.78 per set
100 sets                 $35.36 per set

Optional Modifier Kit
25 sets                   $13.49 per set
50 sets                   $8.99 per set
75 sets                   $7.65 per set
100 sets                 $6.77 per set

Ideally, if we can get to the 50 MOQ tier, the pricing will get much better.  I am working on setting up a way to do a Massdrop style of entry for the GB so that we can track where we are on MOQ and help people that are on the fence in case they are worried about the buy not making the tier they want.

I like this idea.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 08:40:29 »
Someone who's bored should go through this thread and count up the number of people who have explicitly expressed interest.

I'll wait here.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #302 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 08:41:57 »
Expressing interest =/= will join GB. Unfortunately.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #303 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 09:53:46 »
I don't know if SP would agree to this (or if their order site even supports it), but I think the odds of this GB succeeding would go up a lot if you offered the set in both Cherry and ALPS -- just as the Infinity GB itself was done.

The GB is on the keycap set, and the mount choice is just an option.

By including Cherry, you broaden the size of the GB beyond just ALPS fans and make it easier to hit the MOQs.  Cherry fans would spread the word also.

This would also set a precedent for future GBs being done in the same way.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #304 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 09:55:47 »
I think the entire point of this and the Delta Blues GB, Matias, is to have Alps only group buys. And these caps wouldn't be very useful for Cherry users unless they had an Infinity. The kit being offered would be usable on newer modern layout Alps boards coming out soon.

I think it's more important to have an adapter kit in Alps then to have a not-so-useful kit in MX.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #305 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 09:56:24 »
I don't think they were willing to split it like that.  I wish they were.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #306 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:14:06 »
I think the entire point of this and the Delta Blues GB, Matias, is to have Alps only group buys. And these caps wouldn't be very useful for Cherry users unless they had an Infinity. The kit being offered would be usable on newer modern layout Alps boards coming out soon.

I think it's more important to have an adapter kit in Alps then to have a not-so-useful kit in MX.

We are also trying to learn to navigate the Alps market. Why does a GB succeed or fail? Is it because there simply aren't enough Alps users, or just not enough who needed/wanted that particular keyset?

That's the nice thing about this GB. By starting with the simplest, most basic set we can hopefully learn what people want. And if this succeeds, that means that many more pics out there of custom Alps keysets, in turn generating interest in future buys.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #307 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 10:29:23 »
There are plenty of MX Infinity owners out there that could be interested in this. Probably more than there are Alps Infinity users.

the MX-ers might not be keen on the Alps logo.
the non-infinity-Alpsters like me are probably the only ones who would want the extra right shift and backspace.

We need to be clear about whether this is a tightly focused buy for Alps-Infinity, to keep costs down, or is it more of a one-size-fits-MOQ kind of deal.
Judging by what happened with Delta Blues I think MOQ is definitely a factor, so if SP will go for it maybe MX should be included.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #308 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 11:24:01 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 October 2021, 13:53:49 by bcredbottle »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #309 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 11:33:59 »
With modified stabilizer wires like Matias posted they should be.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #310 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 11:40:42 »
Do you know if these would be compatible with a Matias Ergo Pro? If so I would gladly pay through the nose for these.

I'm not sure about the odd-shaped keys like Esc, Ctrl, Alt, but the standard ones like the shifts, tab, enter, backspace should be fine - but you will need the new balance bars for the stabilized keys.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #311 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 11:36:12 »
I might still be confused on if this will ever work for a Dell AT101, but I will be buying a set as I think the keys are beautiful.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #312 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 10:18:33 »
So...is this happening again?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #313 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 11:42:00 »
Yeah, just trying to dial in a good google form that will allow people to pledge to a certain moq (similar to massdrop). 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #314 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 11:42:57 »
Yeah, just trying to dial in a good google form that will allow people to pledge to a certain moq (similar to massdrop). 

engicoder has a form like that for his 1976 add-on packs.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #315 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 11:46:08 »

Cool.  I will pm him

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #316 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 12:34:29 »

Cool.  I will pm him

I can help with the Google Forms if you need it. Done plenty.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #317 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 13:34:07 »

Cool.  I will pm him

I can help with the Google Forms if you need it. Done plenty.
I am trying to do one like enigcoder did for the 1976 pack

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #318 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 13:39:12 »
I am trying to do one like enigcoder did for the 1976 pack

I'm on it. PM me your Google account e-mail so that I can share it with you when it's done.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #319 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 22:45:52 »
Hello all.  Small development for this kit.  In light of the increased custom legend pricing and me adding a second size of each of the legends to the kit (they charge per keycap size), I am now looking for a second supporter of the Alps mountain logo. 

The other option is to make the 1x mountain logo a blank in the kit. 

PM me if you would like to help out.   :thumb:

Donation found!  Thank you njbair for your support of this set.   :thumb:

On a completely different topic, what is the community feeling of adding another set to the buy?  Infinity in mx.
Pricing would be exactly the same for mx. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2015, 23:03:55 by Badwrench »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #320 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 23:17:58 »
I think doing the same set in MX would be a great idea, but run it after this buy is over.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #321 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 23:22:28 »
I think doing the same set in MX would be a great idea, but run it after this buy is over.

For sure.  Doing this by myself, I really don't want to have multiple hundreds of sets (optimistically thinking) more to mail all at once. 

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #322 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 23:33:40 »
If this buy succeeds I would like to see a follow up Alps alphas DCS buy, including a 6U spacebar.

There's got to be a way to split up a single GB between a few major color options, so each color counts towards the same MOQ.

My boards:
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #323 on: Wed, 08 April 2015, 00:30:39 »
If this buy succeeds I would like to see a follow up Alps alphas DCS buy, including a 6U spacebar.

There's got to be a way to split up a single GB between a few major color options, so each color counts towards the same MOQ.

I would like this as well  :thumb:

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #324 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 19:05:19 »

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #325 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 10:24:15 »
Now that the GB is on, I guess it's safe to post this here on the IC thread - I think the next round should be a big one-set-fits-almost-all set of black on white PBT dyesubs, so ppl can dye them whatever colour they want.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #326 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 10:25:44 »
Now that the GB is on, I guess it's safe to post this here on the IC thread - I think the next round should be a big one-set-fits-almost-all set of black on white PBT dyesubs, so ppl can dye them whatever colour they want.

I will never buy PBT dyesubs of any kind. :(

in memoriam

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #327 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 10:26:53 »

:(. I love pbt

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #328 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 14:17:33 »

:(. I love pbt

The main advantage of PBT in this case being that it's easier to dye than ABS due to higher melting point. I think.

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #329 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 14:40:35 »

I'm curious what it is you dislike about PBT dyesubs, could you elaborate? Are they objectionable?
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #330 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 16:07:48 »

I'm curious what it is you dislike about PBT dyesubs, could you elaborate? Are they objectionable?

To me, yes, they are objectionable. I almost always prefer a quality double shot ABS (Cherry/GMK, SP's DCS, SP's SA) over PBT. I'm forced to use dyesub PBT on buckling spring and Topre, as there is no other choice. But for MX and Alps, I can't think of a case where I would purchase a set of PBT caps. I prefer the crisp legends of double shot injection molding over even the best dyesub printing. And I don't use blanks, so blank PBT is not an option for me, even if I liked the feel of them, which I don't.

in memoriam

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #331 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 19:25:10 »
It doesn't help PBT's case that the mere mention of PBT invokes thoughts of script kiddies who insist PBT is always better, bar none. Snapping photos of their Poker II's with their Nikon DF's. With a shoe and/or a bowl of curry in the background.

My boards:
More

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #332 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 23:08:23 »
I think you should only use 1u - 1.75u caps  for this