Author Topic: Most tactile Numpad.  (Read 8247 times)

Offline wheel83

Most tactile Numpad.
« on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 14:04:29 »
Right now I own a Kinesis USB Numpad, which is ok.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a louder, more tactile switch usb numpad?  Something comparable to my model m.

thanks geekhack

will
I <3 BS

Offline rdjack21

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 14:16:00 »
Take a look at this thread: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=1875 I'm still waiting to find out which switch is used in both of the Numpads mentioned in that thread. When I get a response I will post it but my bet is that it will be cherry blues.

EDIT: confirmed they are cherry blues.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline wheel83

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 16:05:02 »
i want the scorpius numpad but in black usb.  any ideas ?
I <3 BS

Offline cchan

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 16:10:11 »
Quote from: wheels83;26927
i want the scorpius numpad but in black usb.  any ideas ?
Contact ergogeek. Qtronix makes a USB version in white; they might in black. All you have to do is ask :D
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline wheel83

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 21:38:12 »
the scorpius black ps2 one is on the way !

ill write a review when i get it.

i play an exorbitant amount of online poker and a nice numpad to the right of my mouse is gonna be awesome.
I <3 BS

Offline wheel83

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 April 2009, 02:03:28 »
i tried to dye my keys on the kinesis and i destroyed them.  i just threw it out, i was so pissed at myself.  i didn't like the brown switches in them anyway.  

these blues switches in the scorpius are supposedly louder and heavier, which i think i will like.  it will be here next week for sure, along with my realforce :)

i think my new rig has taken my poker to the next level.
I <3 BS

Offline wheel83

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 April 2009, 12:37:15 »
i just may. i was even thinking of an aeron as an expense.  butt i donnt wannqa risqu frawwqwd.....
I <3 BS

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 April 2009, 11:23:36 »
I bought a Genovation (Micropad 623-21) Keypad on ebay last week. According to their website it has cherry switches. I'll have to see which ones it has when I receive it. Unfortunately I won't see it until the end of July, as I'm living in Southern Brazil and a friend is bringing it when they come to visit (they should have never offered to bring things here for me!).

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 April 2009, 16:54:14 »
I just read your review of the Kinesis keypad Ripster, very well done. Now I know what I have coming.

It's a little uglier than I was expecting, but I paid like $8 for it so I can't complain. It's main function will be to keep the wife happy on her laptop.

Offline wheel83

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 April 2009, 18:42:00 »
i had the kinesis.  compared to my space saver it is a very light feel.  i have a scorpius 22 numpad on the way.  supposedly it has blues.  i am not familiar with them though.
I <3 BS

Offline rdjack21

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 April 2009, 19:16:15 »
Quote from: wheel83;27172
i had the kinesis.  compared to my space saver it is a very light feel.  i have a scorpius 22 numpad on the way.  supposedly it has blues.  i am not familiar with them though.

I'm thinking of getting the Scorpius 22 as well or maybe this one which I found when I was looking around that also has cherry switches but not sure which ones
http://www.ergogeek.com/kp-701-professional-mechanical-key-switch-numeric-keypad-usb.html

I just have not decided which yet and I'm also waiting for a new board to come in once I have that then I will decide which to get. I may get both if for no other reason than just comparing them.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline wheel83

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 April 2009, 21:05:35 »
they are gonna make a realforce 87 u numpad in the summer i believe.
I <3 BS

Offline rdjack21

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 April 2009, 21:25:37 »
Quote from: wheel83;27188
they are gonna make a realforce 87 u numpad in the summer i believe.

Oh man they just really want to make my wallet thin because you know it will be expensive but it will be nice to have one that goes well with the keyboard for those times that you need it (rare for me but still nice to have).
Keyboards

Offline rnak92a

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 20:56:58 »
Quote from: rdjack21;83770
I'm thinking of getting the Scorpius 22 as well or maybe this one which I found when I was looking around that also has cherry switches but not sure which ones
http://www.ergogeek.com/kp-701-professional-mechanical-key-switch-numeric-keypad-usb.html
Show Image

I just have not decided which yet and I'm also waiting for a new board to come in once I have that then I will decide which to get. I may get both if for no other reason than just comparing them.

I just received this very numpad the other day from TekGadget's Amazon storefront.  It indeed has Cherry Blue switches, as ErgoGeek confirmed (here).  Unfortunately, I don't own a Cherry Blue keyboard, so I've no basis of comparison from that standpoint.  However, I did own the Kinesis Numpad ripster reviewed and can make a few general observations of similarities and differences between those, if someone would like me to do so.

I have taken pictures of the Cherry Blue switch, just to prove that's what's in use here, as well as some basic top and side view pictures and.rudimentary disassembly pictures (the PCB;  TekGadget doesn't want anyone to open the case, since doing so involved loosening adhesive on the upper attached feet and delving deeply with a small Phillips to loosen the screws.  There's not much to see anyway:  the PCB is permanently affixed in some manner).

Let me know and I'll hold forth.

Cheers,
~rn.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2009, 21:21:57 by rnak92a »
My keyboards, numpads, and pointing devices
=====================================
Quote from: Hak Foo
The label says, "World\'s best... guaranteed."

What would happen if I bought one and sent them a nasty letter that read:

"1391401.  I want my money back."

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 21:13:09 »
Let me know and I'll hold forth.
I'd like to see the pics. You should write a proper review, it sounds interesting.

Offline rnak92a

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 21:25:01 »
Quote from: nowsharing;88404
I'd like to see the pics. You should write a proper review, it sounds interesting.

Uploading pictures shortly.

I'll do my best to write a few paragraphs about its looks, build quality, the Cherry Blues, and the obnoxious permanently attached PCB.  However, as a model M hoarder, I have little experience on other keyboards, so I can't say too much about the Cherry Blues here versus those in a proper keyboard.  I'd imagine they feel and travel in the same manner, but there could be variance, as with model M minis versus, say, 1391401 keyboards.  Sometimes, though they both have the same buckling spring assemblies, they feel vastly different.  

I'll do what I can and hope you guys ask questions to fill things out.

Cheers,
~rn.

Offline wheel83

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 21:35:11 »
I wound up getting the scorpius numpad with blue switches.  it is nice and clicky.  but i still whip out my 1391401 for number crunching.
I <3 BS

Offline rnak92a

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 May 2009, 00:26:47 »
Quote from: ripster;88427
I'm interested in:

1) Is the key layout OK for you?  The extra column on the left is different.
2) Pic of size next to keyboard - this guy looks big.
3) What's the undo/redo thing?
4) Don't sweat the whole key feel thing too much - it's gonna be clicky.  Do you like it so far?  

- Ripster

Hi, Ripster.

My squarespace hosting site is down at the moment, so I can't provide pictures to answer #2.  

Otherwise:
1) Is the key layout OK for you?  The extra column on the left is different.

The layout is nice, actually.  I'm going to re-map shift to =  (how the hell could they produce a numpad aimed at Excel and other numerically intensive applications and not include =)?!  Other than that glaring oversight, no complaints about the layout.  

3) What's the undo/redo thing?

There are two membrane-based buttons above Del and Ctrl on this numpad (columns 3 and 4 from L to R on a standard numpad) that act as CTRL Z (undo) and CTRL Y (redo) in supported applications.  According to the instruction manial, these functions can be remapped using something like autohotkey.

4) Don't sweat the whole key feel thing too much - it's gonna be clicky.  Do you like it so far?  

It's no model M, but I like it.  I've done about 100 keystrokes on each key to this point, and I'd say 1 out of 100 of those keystrokes misses, which pisses me off.  I'll keep this numpad, because it clobbers the brown switch-equipped Kinesis (that one occasionally missed keystrokes too, which is why I sold the thing).  I don't know if I didn't properly depress the key during the stroke that missed, but I don't have this issue ever on an M.  I still stand by my statement that the M is the best keyboard in the world and is far superior to anything else available at any price.

Please look for pictures and a more detailed review tomorrow.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,
~rn.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2009, 00:33:16 by rnak92a »

Offline rnak92a

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 01 May 2009, 00:48:39 »
Quote from: ripster;88437
1)  Didn't even notice the missing EQUAL key,  LOL
3)  Oh, I was hoping some fancy internal memory function or something
4)  Yeah, I think IBM did a Keypad for the PC Jr and M15 but never felt a need to do one for the PC.  No BS Keypads unless Unicomp gets a big cash infusion and makes one - unlikely in this economic environment.  I think Blue Cherries is the best bet.

- Ripster

P.S. You can directly upload pictures to Geekhack, approx max size 800x1200 although 400x600 is fine for most stuff.

Ripster,

1)  True.  It sucks there's no =, but autohotkey saves the day.
3)  Nah.  The buttons are re-mappable, which again saves the day.
4)  Yeah, maybe.  I'll live with it.  I am going to try a Scorpius 32 from ergogeek, which has blue cherries, too, and is due from them in 6-8 wks according to their sales staff.

5)  How/where do I upload pictures to GH?  Edit:  nevermind, I found the ability to create an album under community | pictures and albums.  I'll slap pictures there and link to them later today.

Edit 2:   Thanks again, ripster.  I'll do that instead.  Noticing all posting options ftw.

Cheers,
~rn
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 May 2009, 01:23:36 by rnak92a »

Offline grantb3

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 17:48:53 »
Quote from: nowsharing;83729
I bought a Genovation (Micropad 623-21) Keypad on ebay last week. According to their website it has cherry switches. I'll have to see which ones it has when I receive it. Unfortunately I won't see it until the end of July, as I'm living in Southern Brazil and a friend is bringing it when they come to visit (they should have never offered to bring things here for me!).

I think they are Cherry MX key switches.  Most of the Genovation keypads use them.

Offline wheel83

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 02:01:01 »
I forgot to review my scorpius blue numpad.  It is nice, but like ripster recommended, i like the kaching sound of pressing the keys.  For me, that's not replacing .wav files, it's the buckling springs! lol.  I now use a full size dedicated Model M keyboard for poker and numpad usage.

Also I have the ps2 version (why would a numpad be ps2 lol) and I have a lot of problems with it regarding having to restart my machine to get it to work properly.  I have tested it on mulptiple rigs as well.  So my advice is get the USB version (although I can't say for certain it won't have these problems).

I wish someone would sell me their m15 and numpad for under $750, but the only people I asked said over their dead body.  I guess I have to wait quite awhile...bullocks! lol
I <3 BS

Offline wellington1869

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 02:07:05 »
Quote from: wheel83;98722
I forgot to review my scorpius blue numpad.  It is nice, but like ripster recommended, i like the kaching sound of pressing the keys.  For me, that's not replacing .wav files, it's the buckling springs! lol.  I now use a full size dedicated Model M keyboard for poker and numpad usage.

Also I have the ps2 version (why would a numpad be ps2 lol) and I have a lot of problems with it regarding having to restart my machine to get it to work properly.  I have tested it on mulptiple rigs as well.  So my advice is get the USB version (although I can't say for certain it won't have these problems).

wheel, whats the model number of the numpad? did you get it from ergogeek.com?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wheel83

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 05:25:11 »
http://www.ergogeek.com/ione-qtronix-scorpius-22-numeric-mechanical-keypad-ps-2-at-black.html

took like 3 weeks, but that's the only place I could find it.  

I think I hear some bartering going on!
I <3 BS

Offline lowpoly

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 05:41:04 »
^^^ That reminds me that I have a qtronix numpad somewhere. Has the fake Cherry switches. And a serial connection. I got it for the fake switches.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline wheel83

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 05:48:11 »
http://www.ergogeek.com/ione-scorpius-19-mechanical-keypad-with-built-in-trackball-mouse-usb.html

this one has a BS key lol  stands for buckling springs of course
I <3 BS

Offline wellington1869

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 24 June 2009, 13:22:37 »
is there such a thing as an alps keypad? just curious.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 25 June 2009, 13:14:11 »
Quote from: webwit;99139
Show Image

sweet tho i'd have to take a hacksaw to it ;)

Offline Chef

Most tactile Numpad.
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 31 July 2009, 23:03:05 »