Author Topic: Microsoft Bob  (Read 2946 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Microsoft Bob
« on: Mon, 17 August 2009, 13:03:51 »
I was playing around with Microsoft Bob, a failed product to make using computers like a house, when I realized that the Bob assistants work in Office '97.

If you're familiar with Microsoft Bob, you must have heard of Rover! Here he is in Microsoft Word.

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 August 2009, 14:36:36 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Microsoft Bob
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 August 2009, 13:27:49 »
And yet, they couldn't dispose of the silly, but useless "assistants" in Office...
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline rdh

Microsoft Bob
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 August 2009, 13:39:29 »
Bob who?

at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Microsoft Bob
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 August 2009, 14:37:49 »
The Office assistants aren't a bad thing! I like them despite their uselessness.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline lowpoly

Microsoft Bob
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 August 2009, 08:39:22 »
Quote from: timw4mail;110224
And yet, they couldn't dispose of the silly, but useless "assistants" in Office...

The responsible developer was Melinda Gates. Wait until you're married and you'll understand.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Microsoft Bob
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 August 2009, 18:58:05 »
I found a few more assistants from Bob that work in Office: the purple elephant from GeoSafari and the book guy from the Bob Chequebook.

Offline Mercen_505

Microsoft Bob
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 August 2009, 19:04:46 »
Back in the early 90s when I was working some ****e job at the local Mall, we had a lonely copy of MS Bob sitting on the shelf collecting dust. No one would even consider buying it!

Offline Mr.6502

Microsoft Bob
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 August 2009, 19:14:31 »
I always thought the concept of Bob was alright, it was just horribly implemented.  I made something similar for my parents at some point to get them more accustomed to using the computer.  

I do like that they kept using the office assistants from it for a while.

Rover is still there on the search screen for XP too.  Albeit in a more 3D look.
"Engineers are really good at labeling and branding things ...  If we had named Kentucky Fried Chicken, it would have been Hot Dead Birds."

-Vint Cerf

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Microsoft Bob
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 August 2009, 19:31:08 »
It's a weird one. I think Windows is a hideously overcomplicated OS, both in terms of maintenance requirements and even just using it on a day to day basis, but yet it's too dumbed down to do anything really useful or diagnose problems properly. People say that Linux is a 'difficult' OS, but I found it much easier to teach my Mam how to use it compared with Windows XP.