Author Topic: Starter here (can OEM profile keycaps be replaced with DCS profile keycaps? )  (Read 5253 times)

Offline ExtenZe

Hello guys ,
so recenty i bought my first mechanical keyboard its a cheap board but i love it so far. Its the Drevo Gramr 84 , however i hate the font , and i want to replace at least the alpharethmetic keys and the arrow keys, here where i live i dont have many options for keycaps so the set below is pretty much the only i can select for now at least  ( except if i wait a lot for shipping and i order the correct keycap set from another country ). So from some reviews it seems like the Drevo Gramr 84 has an OEM keycap profile , the set im thinking of buying doesnt specify the keycap profile , but in the reviews of that set someone pointed out that these keycaps are a DCS profile. As im really new to these things , will the DCS keycaps work perfectly on a board desinged with stock OEM keycaps? ( i mean will the incline change? will the new keycaps bottom out perfectly or will the different incline destroy the typing experience? 

keyboard amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/DREVO-84-Key-Mechanical-Keyboard-Backlit/dp/B01K4GNLMS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1506018594&sr=8-5&keywords=drevo+gramr+84+key
keycaps amazon link:https://www.amazon.com/Bossi-keycaps-Double-shot-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01IBM8YZ6

Thanks in advance :D

Offline zslane

Re: Starter here (can OEM profile keycaps be replaced with DCS profile keycaps? )
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 13:56:28 »
DCS is very similar to OEM, but a little shorter:

You could replace the entire keycap set with DCS and not really notice much difference, but you can't mix and match them seamlessly.

Offline ExtenZe

Re: Starter here (can OEM profile keycaps be replaced with DCS profile keycaps? )
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 14:03:43 »
DCS is very similar to OEM, but a little shorter:

Show Image

You could replace the entire keycap set with DCS and not really notice much difference, but you can't mix and match them seamlessly.

well  if only the right shift and right alt and fn keys were standard size , but they arent , normally these are 1.25 units wide but in this keyboard the drevo gramr they are 1 unit wide :/ , the difference indeed seems pretty small , i could use any keys from the numpad (as the drevo doesnt have one ) to fill the previously mentioned keys , but i think i could live with the rest of keys (the non-alpharithmetic keys) being a little bit higher :D , plus orange with black would be pretty sweet looking , but ill see if it bothers me a lot. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 September 2017, 14:05:49 by ExtenZe »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 14:11:13 »
FYI DCS profile is made by signature plastics so unless you are buying from signature plastics and/or from a group buy or individual who bought them in a group buy they are most likely not DCS profile caps.

Here is an older thread on the 'bossi' keycaps https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88793.0

Those caps look like OEM profile to me, but OEM profile isn't a standard so YMMV.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 September 2017, 14:12:58 by SpAmRaY »

Offline ExtenZe

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 14:31:00 »
FYI DCS profile is made by signature plastics so unless you are buying from signature plastics and/or from a group buy or individual who bought them in a group buy they are most likely not DCS profile caps.

Here is an older thread on the 'bossi' keycaps https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88793.0

Those caps look like OEM profile to me, but OEM profile isn't a standard so YMMV.
Thanks for the help , i searched i little bit more about the Bossi Keycaps , some dude in a reddit page  asked if they were OEM and a person who had bought them answered "yes" so , they might be after all OEM , i dont know but i think i will take the risk.