Author Topic: [GB] Voice65% - GB finished  (Read 17614 times)

Offline OwLab

[GB] Voice65% - GB finished
« on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 16:24:07 »

Build Guide
PCB/LED Guide

replacement requests - fulfilling
Chinese New Year holiday - resumed working
shipping out - finished
packaging orders - finished
sale - finished, total 500+ units sold

Full-Album

Colors & Units:
Total 500+ units in 7 colors
Anodized: Black, Gray, Blue, LNY Red and LNY Green
Electrophoresis: E-White and LNY E-Yellow
All alu plate and mid-cases(including the right edge and knob) are black

260175-0
260178-1
260180-2
260182-3
260184-4
260186-5
260190-6
260193-7

We will not disclose the exact numbers or the quantities of each colors because we don't want flippers hoarding the "rare" ones.

When:
6PM EST, 22nd of January, 2021
Conversion to other time zones
Countdown timer

Price:
USD$329 + shipping – including one PCB of your choice and two plates and no extra charge for electrophoresis
USD$35 + shipping ($10 extra shipping if purchased with the case) for each extra solder or hotswappable PCB
Shipping estimate is $30-50 to most destinations and details are in our shipping policy.

Where:
Popkeyboard.com (Register an account now, we will release the product page at the time of the sale)

Background:
Hey guys, this TT from Owlab (OWL-LAB). Please allow me to elaborate a bit about Voice65%. This keyboard is our first project outside of China and it originated from my good old days in my band - OWL. For an introverted guy like me, music was and still is an important way to express my feelings and attitude. Keyboard as a hobby, is quite similar. It is also an essential tool for us to express ourselves and make your voice heard, especially during such a hard time. Hence, we decided to create a combination of both.
After countless all-nighters, me and my designer friend Nomi eventually concretized the idea with a knob mimicking the mixer (as well as the design on the weight) and a LED strip resembles the neon lights in those clubhouses our band used to perform at.
With those features and a package of various optional/interchangeable parts, we hope this project can help you getting into this hobby and more importantly, find your preference and your own voice.

Highlights:
  • An in-stock sale with one-month ETA
  • A gasket-mounted 65% with spring-leaf plates
  • A programmable scroll and LED strips thru VIA configurator or QMK (to abide the GPL license, the source code will be released after the sale). [Here's a PCB guide if you are new to VIA]
  • An all-in-one package with lots of extras aiming to help our community experience different typing/acoustic profiles with control variates method. Standoffs*, two different plate materials, PORON PCB foam/silicone PCB pad are all optional or interchangeable in builds. There are multiple ways to build Voice65% with different combinations such as:
    • Firm - Alu plate with standoffs* and silicone PCB pad
    • Thocky – PC plate without standoffs* but with PORON® case foam
    • Muted – PC plate with silicone PCB pad and PORON® case foam
    • W/E you want - do some A/B test and find your own Voice
    * Please note that standoffs are only provided with the hotswappable version
    [Don’t worry, we prepared an extensive build guide for you]
  • Per key LEDs on both hot swappable and solder PCBs – the one under Capslock is an indicator, as some of you wished
  • Our silicone PCB pads surround the edges of the plate so they will not be directly contacting the cases thus making sure all the vibrations will be absorbed by the rubber
  • USB-C daughter boards, the RGB light strip daughter boards and knob are all pre-assembled on the middle case and you only need to connect them with JST cables

Specifications*:
PCB: supports QMK + VIA and equipped with ESD Protection

Materials: 6063 Aluminum (Case & Scroll), Polycarbonate (PC plate) and Brass (Weight), PORON® (Gaskets, PORON® PCB foam and PORON® case foam), Silicone (Mute Pad, Spacebar dampener and light strip diffuser)

Structure:
  • Gasket-mounted with leaf spring plate
  • The top case is the upper half of the sandwich that also hosts a silicone diffuser
  • The BLACK middle case is the lower half that comes with pre-assembled scroll and daughterboards of USB-C header, scroll and LED strip
  • The bottom case with a matching color of the top 1/3 accommodates the brass weight

Typing Angle: 6 degrees

Size: 339 x 118.65 mm, front height 17mm, back height 27.8mm

Total Weight: 1.4 kg (built w/ alu plate, 1.3kg built w/ PC plate)

Plate: thickness is 1.5mm for all materials; one anodized alu plate and one PC plate

Layouts:
Hot swappable PCB: ANSI
260195-8
Solder PCB: Supports Split B/S, ISO (ISO Enter and split left Shift), Stepped Cap, Tsangan, 6.25u and Split (2.25u+1.25u+2.75u) spacebars
260197-9

Weight: An external brass weight with PVD (Sand-blasted, not mirror finish) clear coating and anti-fingerprint coating for non-LNY colors and an external brass weight with PVD (Sand-blasted, not mirror finish) black coating for LNY colors.
everything is included in the package except that additional PCB would cost extra*

Media:

Note:
PC does have a softer feedback to the fingertips according to our preliminary test but our team preferred PE and was taking an adventure with it.
Since PE doesn't share the same amount of popularity among our clientele and reviews, we utilized the wait time due to an unexpected delay to replaced it with PC as well as adding in the Poron PCB/case foam, right before the sale.
Sorry for lack of tests/typing sound with PC plates and PORON foams but its acoustic performance/profile does not deviate far from that of PE plate with foam added in the case, as demonstrated by Alex and Andy. Feel free to use those videos as a reference.

Build streams/reviews (Please check video description for text reviews):
  • Build stream by Andy V Nguyen
  • Review stream cut by Andy - a concise verdict
  • Build stream by tinymakesthings - comparions between blurple and other blue colors
  • Review video by theDregenProject - a quick guide for assembly
  • Mandarin - a review video by KUBSCKY - LNY E-yellow variant
  • Mandarin - a review video by AKS - LNY Green variant
  • Hyper-lapsed version of Alexotos' both streams - check out the end for foam and w/o foam comparison

Typing videos (Please check video description for build info):
    • Andy's 1st build
    • Andy's 2nd build
    • Andy's 3rd build
    • theDregenProject - a good guide for the RGB and knob too!

A few more remarks before I go: there have been a few setbacks and struggles since the interest check last month. We heard your voices about aspects that our package is missing, critiques about the confusing/over-excessive parts and guides and the improvements we can work on. Thanks to the accidental delays, we managed to pull off some of the requests and we deeply appreciate all your help. If you are interested in our work, please join our Discord and follow our Instagram @owlab_magicbear for our future projects!

Stay safe!
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 March 2021, 16:25:22 by OwLab »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] Voice65% - IN-STOCK sale @ 6PM EST Jan 22nd
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 17:36:37 »
app
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline OwLab

Offline OwLab

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 17:42:32 »
PSA:
- Please please consider join our Discord for more details and frequently asked questions
- You can't access to the product page until the time of sale
- That PCB on the website is extra - not necessary because we will include one PCB of your choice in the package.
- We will not combine orders if you buy PCB separately and you will need to pay very high shipping for it. Hence, please add it into your cart prior to the sale, if you need it.
- Attempts to check out will be blocked at the shipping stage (not shipping to your location - it's not a bug) until the sale happens.
- If Voice65% sold out during your check out, your check out with available items such as extra PCB, will be cancelled.

Sorry that it takes so long. I am kinda depressed tbh because this is indeed a MONUMENTAL FAIL. If it's late night, please go to sleep. I will put this into the #💡-faqs edit everything

1. about Ocean Pay
    -   we didn't hire the best payment agency because we warned them about bots and volume, either they can't handle or they didn't bother to listen;
    -   We chose Ocean Pay because Shopify requires us to have a non-mainland China business entity; Ocean Pay actually has a higher %fee
    -    we are working to find out the problem and we need to know if payment agency is the only problem in this matter
    -    For this catastrophic event alone, yeah raffle can avoid it like breeze but we don't like the "non-transparency" feeling (seeing some f&f ppl winning the raffles) and the hype created by the method itself.
    -     this might not matter but we received payments from all channels including amex, jcb, unionpay, discovery , visa and mastercard(maestro) so your card is fine. They won't take your info regardless of how many times you have tried.

Dude we have no idea this would blow up (meaning so many people liking this keyboard) but there are no so many ifs..

2. R10003
    -  I honestly don't have a time yet but i think it would be fair to give everyone another 48hr notice
   -   likely same time on that date, 6pm est
   -   we have more than 330 units left, all colors are available.
   -   Raffle or not - i'll let you know once i heard anything
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2021, 20:31:40 by OwLab »

Offline OwLab

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 11:18:36 »
gb starts in less than 6 hrs

Offline bball2

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 17:25:36 »
Well this check out process has been a bit of a disaster...

I think if you are not going with a proven payment processor like shopify or stripe you should use a raffle system.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2021, 17:48:31 by bball2 »

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 17:49:49 »

I think if you are not going with a proven payment processor like shopify or stripe you should consider sticking to a raffle system.

Agreed. One of the worst GB checkout experiences, and I've been through some bad ones lately. If you can't use a proper payment gateway or have bot protection that works, please stick to raffle format and spare us the time.

Offline bigoldbox

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 18:10:34 »

I think if you are not going with a proven payment processor like shopify or stripe you should consider sticking to a raffle system.

Agreed. One of the worst GB checkout experiences, and I've been through some bad ones lately. If you can't use a proper payment gateway or have bot protection that works, please stick to raffle format and spare us the time.

Apparently they won't raffle because its somehow less "fair" than whatever is happening before.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 18:14:40 »

Have to agree, or at least use Paypal for FCFS first sale...  hopefully they will fix it because i still want the board.   :(

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 18:21:42 »

Apparently they won't raffle because its somehow less "fair" than whatever is happening before.

I guess "fair" means letting some people who got through buy multiples so they can flip for 3x or more to people who couldn't get in due to the payment vendor. lol

Offline OwLab

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 20:17:29 »

I guess "fair" means letting some people who got through buy multiples so they can flip for 3x or more to people who couldn't get in due to the payment vendor. lol

We just don't like the idea seeing ppl being lucky for too many times.
There are still 330+ units.

Offline OwLab

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 20:23:50 »

We are working on a fix.
Here's some explanations if you'd spend a couple minutes reading

@everyone

Sorry that it takes so long. I am kinda depressed tbh because this is indeed a MONUMENTAL FAIL. If it's late night, please go to sleep. I will put this into the #💡-faqs edit everything

1. about Ocean Pay
    -   we didn't hire the best payment agency because we warned them about bots and volume, either they can't handle or they didn't bother to listen;
    -   We chose Ocean Pay because Shopify requires us to have a non-mainland China business entity; Ocean Pay actually has a higher %fee
    -    we are working to find out the problem and we need to know payment agency is the only problem in this matter
    -    For this catastrophic event alone, yeah raffle can avoid it like breeze but we don't like the "non-transparency" feeling (seeing some f&f ppl winning the raffles) and the hype created by the method itself.
    -     this might not matter but we received payments from all channels including amex, jcb, unionpay, discovery , visa and mastercard(maestro) so your card is fine. They won't take your info regardless of how many times you have tried.

Dude we have no idea this would blow up but there are no so many ifs..

2. R10003
    -  I honestly don't have a time yet but i think it would be fair to give everyone another 48hr notice

Offline OwLab

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 20:31:14 »

I think if you are not going with a proven payment processor like shopify or stripe you should use a raffle system.

We made our mistake in choosing a bad payment processor but we will fix the problem and do a re-drop.

Sorry that it takes so long. I am kinda depressed tbh because this is indeed a MONUMENTAL FAIL. If it's late night, please go to sleep.

1. about Ocean Pay
    -    we are working to find out the problem and we need to know if payment agency is the only problem in this matter

Dude we have no idea the hype would blow up but there are no so many ifs..

2. R10003

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 07:22:44 »
I was able to get in during the earlier sale, had the same errors as everyone else but just kept refreshing until it eventually went through. The checkout issues were unfortunate, but I'm sure you guys will resolve them however it needs be. Can I ask if other shipping companies other than DHL is possible? I have had countless bad experiences with them and their additional fees on duties, I'd prefer avoiding them. GLWGB!

Offline OwLab

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 15:12:32 »
I was able to get in during the earlier sale, had the same errors as everyone else but just kept refreshing until it eventually went through. The checkout issues were unfortunate, but I'm sure you guys will resolve them however it needs be. Can I ask if other shipping companies other than DHL is possible? I have had countless bad experiences with them and their additional fees on duties, I'd prefer avoiding them. GLWGB!

Tyvm. we are using a queued system for the re-drop tmr

Offline Liub

Re: [GB] Voice65% - RE-DROP @ 6PM EST Jan 24nd
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 00:44:51 »
I thought this would be the worst FCFS sale of the year thus far but then the AV3 blew it out of the water 24hrs later lol.

GL to everyone regardless.

Offline OwLab

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 15:10:54 »
sale in less than 2 hours

Offline onceforever

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 17:26:05 »
I got in! Bought a green one, will be a gift for my sister, can't wait!

Offline OwLab

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 12:54:43 »
I got in! Bought a green one, will be a gift for my sister, can't wait!

shipping soon

Offline OwLab

Re: [GB] Voice65% - shipping started
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 10:27:51 »

- Returned packages
We have received few pms about packages being returned from DHL to shipper without a specific reason. We will have to store those packages at the shipping agency's warehouse and we won't be able to investigate the reasons as the shipping agency and us are both taking 8th to 18th of February off for the Chinese New Year. If you are unsure, please check your tracking on the couriers' sites.

- Shipments not being handed to DHL(mid-tier DHL shipped from HK)
Do note that DHL(as long as other couriers) will only take 3-4 business days off and we are expecting them to collect your package asap.

- USPS awaiting item
Your package has departed from China. There will be further updates when your package clears the custom.

- Receiving your package
If possible, please record the package receiving and opening process when you receive it. It would help in case it's damaged during custom inspection or shipping because proof is the first thing they want when things go south.

- no screws?
you don't need them if you chose solder PCB but please pm Syrah if you chose hotswappable PCB and there's no screw in your package

Until then, if you have any problems about your order and the package, please email manager@popkeyboard.com and also pm me so I can follow it up.

Offline zenkahali

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 17:33:51 »
Does anyone know what keycap set the e-white photo has?

Offline bigoldbox

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 18:00:54 »
Does anyone know what keycap set the e-white photo has?
Kuro/Shiro by GOK, runs over you'd have to buy aftermarket. Don't know if a reruns planned.

Offline OwLab

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 18:05:45 »
Credit to: ( ⠞⠊⠙⠑ )

Offline OwLab

Re: [GB] Voice65% - GB finished
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 19:00:16 »

Build Guide
PCB/LED Guide

replacement requests - finished
Chinese New Year holiday - finished
shipping out - finished
packaging orders - finished
sale - finished, total 500+ units sold

Full-Album

Colors & Units:
Total 500+ units in 7 colors
Anodized: Black, Gray, Blue, LNY Red and LNY Green
Electrophoresis: E-White and LNY E-Yellow
All alu plate and mid-cases(including the right edge and knob) are black

We will not disclose the exact numbers or the quantities of each colors because we don't want flippers hoarding the "rare" ones.

When:
6PM EST, 22nd of January, 2021
Conversion to other time zones
Countdown timer

Price:
USD$329 + shipping – including one PCB of your choice and two plates and no extra charge for electrophoresis
USD$35 + shipping ($10 extra shipping if purchased with the case) for each extra solder or hotswappable PCB
Shipping estimate is $30-50 to most destinations and details are in our shipping policy.

Where:
Popkeyboard.com (Register an account now, we will release the product page at the time of the sale)

Background:
Hey guys, this TT from Owlab (OWL-LAB). Please allow me to elaborate a bit about Voice65%. This keyboard is our first project outside of China and it originated from my good old days in my band - OWL. For an introverted guy like me, music was and still is an important way to express my feelings and attitude. Keyboard as a hobby, is quite similar. It is also an essential tool for us to express ourselves and make your voice heard, especially during such a hard time. Hence, we decided to create a combination of both.
After countless all-nighters, me and my designer friend Nomi eventually concretized the idea with a knob mimicking the mixer (as well as the design on the weight) and a LED strip resembles the neon lights in those clubhouses our band used to perform at.
With those features and a package of various optional/interchangeable parts, we hope this project can help you getting into this hobby and more importantly, find your preference and your own voice.

Highlights:
  • An in-stock sale with one-month ETA
  • A gasket-mounted 65% with spring-leaf plates
  • A programmable scroll and LED strips thru VIA configurator or QMK (to abide the GPL license, the source code will be released after the sale). [Here's a PCB guide if you are new to VIA]
  • An all-in-one package with lots of extras aiming to help our community experience different typing/acoustic profiles with control variates method. Standoffs*, two different plate materials, PORON PCB foam/silicone PCB pad are all optional or interchangeable in builds. There are multiple ways to build Voice65% with different combinations such as:
    • Firm - Alu plate with standoffs* and silicone PCB pad
    • Thocky – PC plate without standoffs* but with PORON® case foam
    • Muted – PC plate with silicone PCB pad and PORON® case foam
    • W/E you want - do some A/B test and find your own Voice
    * Please note that standoffs are only provided with the hotswappable version
    [Don’t worry, we prepared an extensive build guide for you]
  • Per key LEDs on both hot swappable and solder PCBs – the one under Capslock is an indicator, as some of you wished
  • Our silicone PCB pads surround the edges of the plate so they will not be directly contacting the cases thus making sure all the vibrations will be absorbed by the rubber
  • USB-C daughter boards, the RGB light strip daughter boards and knob are all pre-assembled on the middle case and you only need to connect them with JST cables

Specifications*:
PCB: supports QMK + VIA and equipped with ESD Protection

Materials: 6063 Aluminum (Case & Scroll), Polycarbonate (PC plate) and Brass (Weight), PORON® (Gaskets, PORON® PCB foam and PORON® case foam), Silicone (Mute Pad, Spacebar dampener and light strip diffuser)

Structure:
  • Gasket-mounted with leaf spring plate
  • The top case is the upper half of the sandwich that also hosts a silicone diffuser
  • The BLACK middle case is the lower half that comes with pre-assembled scroll and daughterboards of USB-C header, scroll and LED strip
  • The bottom case with a matching color of the top 1/3 accommodates the brass weight

Typing Angle: 6 degrees

Size: 339 x 118.65 mm, front height 17mm, back height 27.8mm

Total Weight: 1.4 kg (built w/ alu plate, 1.3kg built w/ PC plate)

Plate: thickness is 1.5mm for all materials; one anodized alu plate and one PC plate

Layouts:
Hot swappable PCB: ANSI
Solder PCB: Supports Split B/S, ISO (ISO Enter and split left Shift), Stepped Cap, Tsangan, 6.25u and Split (2.25u+1.25u+2.75u) spacebars

Weight: An external brass weight with PVD (Sand-blasted, not mirror finish) clear coating and anti-fingerprint coating for non-LNY colors and an external brass weight with PVD (Sand-blasted, not mirror finish) black coating for LNY colors.
everything is included in the package except that additional PCB would cost extra*

Media:

Note:
PC does have a softer feedback to the fingertips according to our preliminary test but our team preferred PE and was taking an adventure with it.
Since PE doesn't share the same amount of popularity among our clientele and reviews, we utilized the wait time due to an unexpected delay to replaced it with PC as well as adding in the Poron PCB/case foam, right before the sale.
Sorry for lack of tests/typing sound with PC plates and PORON foams but its acoustic performance/profile does not deviate far from that of PE plate with foam added in the case, as demonstrated by Alex and Andy. Feel free to use those videos as a reference.

Build streams/reviews (Please check video description for text reviews):
  • Build stream by Andy V Nguyen
  • Review stream cut by Andy - a concise verdict
  • Build stream by tinymakesthings - comparions between blurple and other blue colors
  • Review video by theDregenProject - a quick guide for assembly
  • Mandarin - a review video by KUBSCKY - LNY E-yellow variant
  • Mandarin - a review video by AKS - LNY Green variant
  • Hyper-lapsed version of Alexotos' both streams - check out the end for foam and w/o foam comparison

Typing videos (Please check video description for build info):
    • Andy's 1st build
    • Andy's 2nd build
    • Andy's 3rd build
    • theDregenProject - a good guide for the RGB and knob too!

A few more remarks before I go: there have been a few setbacks and struggles since the interest check last month. We heard your voices about aspects that our package is missing, critiques about the confusing/over-excessive parts and guides and the improvements we can work on. Thanks to the accidental delays, we managed to pull off some of the requests and we deeply appreciate all your help. If you are interested in our work, please join our Discord and follow our Instagram @owlab_magicbear for our future projects!

Stay safe!

Offline asciisii

Re: [GB] Voice65% - GB finished
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 13:27:19 »
gz on the quick gb/sale, the pics and typing tests ive been seeing online have been good