Author Topic: scam bots on gh?  (Read 3566 times)

Offline PlayBox

scam bots on gh?
« on: Mon, 21 November 2022, 14:15:46 »
i just saw a scam bot on geekhack for the first time. is it common here or they just started finding their way here? anyone else saw them?
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline Findecanor

Re: scam bots on gh?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 November 2022, 15:01:58 »
I see and report them all the time.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 November 2022, 15:25:05 »
I see and report them all the time.
same

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 November 2022, 15:30:22 »
They have been hitting on us for years, but more so recently.

Our  Moderators  Deserve  Credit  for a lot of sweeping up that we don't see.

"Geekhack" is a great name, but unfortunately it is a magnet for bothersome trolls.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 November 2022, 20:00:27 »
Any forum on Google search gets hit.
What you see is just the tip of the iceberg.

Based on my own forums, for every spam that gets through and deleted within minutes, 3000-5000 posts/accounts were blocked and for all of those nearly 1/4 million attempts were made to create an account.

And that probably pales in comparison to the number of SSH attempts on the server.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 November 2022, 09:51:04 »
i think im gonna use this thread as a record of scam bots i found here. today i found another one, advertising a cheap knockoff game (not gonna name the stuff they advertise)

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 November 2022, 09:54:31 »
ah **** here we go again, another one advertising i think homes or something

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 November 2022, 11:51:29 »
There are so many of them. We're doing our best to stop them from getting through, but of course that's not possible. Please report if and when you see them.

You should see the list of accounts awaiting activation - for some reason many of the spam accounts don't actually follow through with activating the account so we have thousands of spam accounts sitting in limbo. I go through and clean it up every so often, but it's a massive chore to do even that.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 November 2022, 12:24:30 »
Yes, this is a constant battle. The majority of what I do is ban spammers and remove their posts. Many thanks to everyone who submits reports of spam/scams/sketchy links, you are a huge help!
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 November 2022, 13:00:01 »
Yes, this is a constant battle. The majority of what I do is ban spammers and remove their posts. Many thanks to everyone who submits reports of spam/scams/sketchy links, you are a huge help!
i do that everytime i see a bot

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 November 2022, 07:26:29 »
i think im gonna use this thread as a record of scam bots i found here. today i found another one, advertising a cheap knockoff game (not gonna name the stuff they advertise)
By far the most common are gambling, links to "reviews" (lists of affiliate links) and online games, the most ... interesting(?) ones I've seen were for guns, hookers and mail order brides. 

A common tactic is to post something that looks legit then come back a couple of days later and edit in something completely irrelevant to the topic in the hope no-one's looking, so keep an eye out for that too :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 November 2022, 08:19:40 »
i was always kinda worried it bothered moderators as you'd likely have 100s of reports for the same message, now i know that it actually helps :)
and by far the ones i see the most seems to be for school cheats of sorts, actually do not remember seeing gambling or guns advertised :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 November 2022, 08:35:09 »
i was always kinda worried it bothered moderators as you'd likely have 100s of reports for the same message, now i know that it actually helps :)
and by far the ones i see the most seems to be for school cheats of sorts, actually do not remember seeing gambling or guns advertised :)
All the reports for a post get grouped together so we only see it once with lots of names attached.  It's rare there's more than one report for scam/spam.

Can't believe I forgot about the cheat essays - easily the most common!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 November 2022, 09:21:16 »
another weird bot advertising a sus website in a post about keyboard durability

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 November 2022, 11:06:26 »
this time was really hilarous. 5 bots in one thread

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 November 2022, 12:52:16 »
this time was really hilarous. 5 bots in one thread

Just banned those - thanks for reporting :thumb:

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 February 2023, 15:34:01 »
starting to see more bots you mods gotta have to start looking for more creative ways to avoid bots on gh