Author Topic: Dat Witcher  (Read 4034 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Dat Witcher
« on: Tue, 24 December 2019, 15:37:53 »
Didn't read the books..

Watched 3 episodes,  don't understand what's going on..

Is it suppose to just be Stuff-Happening ?

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: Dat Witcher
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 December 2019, 16:01:34 »
That's what I was meant by it not being newcomer friendly in the "What are you watching" thread. They have flashbacks without warning & don't let the viewer know in any way that they are showing past events. If you've played the games &/or read the books you can keep up, but if you haven't I'd imagine it feels like you described it, just stuff happening. As much as I like the show, I do have to admit it does a very poor job of explaining the the timeline of events.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 December 2019, 22:25:30 »
also, 2 much non-story driven n00dity.  Avert eyes, every episode, uncomfortable moments.

Offline DanBe

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 01:14:22 »
If you have not played through the game you are doing yourself a disservice, it is a masterpiece!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 07:39:09 »
If you have not played through the game you are doing yourself a disservice, it is a masterpiece!

I have not , but I will watch it on youtube later.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 12:13:26 »
also, 2 much non-story driven n00dity.  Avert eyes, every episode, uncomfortable moments.

Can’t believe that Gerald is getting that much ):

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 02:47:57 »
Just watched the first episode and had a good time. It's so incredibly cheesy, and Geralt is so incredibly lame, which is exactly what lends so much charm to the whole thing. If the show took itself more seriously and still had all it's flaws it would be insufferable, but it's almost like a Sci Fy Original Series got a huge budget or something. There's a lot 'o bobs too.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 15:18:40 »
I enjoyed the series! I've never played the games or read the books, but I might, now. Geralt really steals the show though, IMO.

Haha, seriously, are you that prudish? xD
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 16:18:46 »

This has nothing to do with victorian sensibilities.

Tp4 has to be eased into precarious situations, one can't just turn on the hot water, Tp4 am not a brute.

Must be story driven and time-period appropriate.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 07:40:38 »

This has nothing to do with victorian sensibilities.

Tp4 has to be eased into precarious situations, one can't just turn on the hot water, Tp4 am not a brute.

Must be story driven and time-period appropriate.

Yeah, that's called being a prude :p . Was Game of Thrones also a bit much mayhap? xD

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 08:27:27 »
Yeah, that's called being a prude :p . Was Game of Thrones also a bit much mayhap? xD

GOT is yet another show with too much unnecessary n00dity. You take one look at the dude RR Martin, can tell he are mega-perv.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 08:39:12 »

GOT is yet another show with too much unnecessary n00dity. You take one look at the dude RR Martin, can tell he are mega-perv.
Prude.

Offline pexu

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 09:56:03 »
The only thing the series does is remind me that I must play the video games that I have left pending.  ^-^

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 17:28:06 »
There's a lot of boring talking droning on and on about **** I don't care about when all I want is more adventuring, but that's how it is in the game as well so I suppose it's accurate.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 03:28:33 »
I've read the books, watched original TV series (polish) and played all games.

I think that it will be hard to understand the timeline of this NF show for someone who never touched the subject.
I see what they did there - they cut the timeline in pieces and tried to show things in retrospections, then at some point let the watcher to put things together and find out what really happened - for someone like me who knows the whole story throughout, it is fun to watch and guess what story/adventure is shown at the moment, but I cannot imagine how this looks to someone who doesn't know it. I guess it must be scattered as hell.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 14:15:18 »
I've read the books, watched original TV series (polish) and played all games.

I think that it will be hard to understand the timeline of this NF show for someone who never touched the subject.
I see what they did there - they cut the timeline in pieces and tried to show things in retrospections, then at some point let the watcher to put things together and find out what really happened - for someone like me who knows the whole story throughout, it is fun to watch and guess what story/adventure is shown at the moment, but I cannot imagine how this looks to someone who doesn't know it. I guess it must be scattered as hell.
It was super confusing. I didn't even notice they were skipping across time at first.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 17:24:34 »
I agree w/ tp there is too much ****ing. Why is everyone in the show ****ing every person they just met, it's really weird distracting and fanservicey. I don't even mind the nudity, it's just too much ****ing. No one ****s that much Geralt you are supposed to be emotionless, calm down.

Offline phinix

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 02:33:30 »
I agree w/ tp there is too much ****ing. Why is everyone in the show ****ing every person they just met, it's really weird distracting and fanservicey. I don't even mind the nudity, it's just too much ****ing. No one ****s that much Geralt you are supposed to be emotionless, calm down.

Hahaha :))
Dude, you have to read all books - in those times everybody f*** each other :D
Wait till Geralt gets closer to Triss :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 17:56:57 »
Just finished it up last night and it was pretty fun. Cavill obviously is a fan of the games so he's doing his best Geralt, he even picks up many mannerisms like slightly smiling during conversations like he thought of a funny joke he'd heard. I was waiting the entire show like "Where are the Drowners" but there they were! I'm seriously hoping Spriggans make an appearance in the next series, because with all the hype and views there will definitely be a second series.

There was a bit of juxtaposition in the writing where scenes were overacted or had the wrong vibe, but again, the show doesn't seem to take itself too importantly which is what makes those scenes withstandable.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 18:41:05 »
I watched the show over a four day span and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have not previously read any of the books or played any of the games. I eagerly await future seasons.

Offline phinix

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 03:09:44 »
I watched the show over a four day span and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have not previously read any of the books or played any of the games. I eagerly await future seasons.

I watched it in one session ;D
I think its pretty good. It will never be exactly same as books or games, but it was very close, which is good.
Can't wait for second season... That waiting is always bad, why do we have to wait whole year?!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 03:25:46 »
I'm a dingus, those were nekkers not drowners :(

the series has such a large beasteiry I got confuzzed

Offline phinix

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 03:57:33 »
I'm a dingus, those were nekkers not drowners :(

the series has such a large beasteiry I got confuzzed

drowners!  Good one :)) :)) :))

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 03:16:22 »

I think its pretty good. It will never be exactly same as books or games, but it was very close, which is good.
Can't wait for second season... That waiting is always bad, why do we have to wait whole year?!

I know some people who said that it took a few episodes before they really got into it. I was hooked after the first episode. I loved the fight scene in the Blaviken marketplace between Geralt and Renfri's henchmen. Stylistically, it felt very much like a video game and I think that was the intent. There's one cut (no pun intended) as Geralt engages the first guy after deflecting the crossbow bolt, but the rest is one tracking shot that felt very much like a third-person perspective video game. The sword fighting begins with a close-up rotating shot of Geralt where the camera moves from in front of him to behind him, almost like an "entering combat" moment. The fight sequence concludes with a similar close-up rotating shot of Geralt that moves in the opposite direction, signaling the end of combat. Immediately after, there's a cut as well as dialogue and Renfri crosses blades with Geralt, which felt more like a cutscene to me. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I thought it was awesome. Toss a coin to your Witcher!

Offline phinix

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 04:07:54 »

I know some people who said that it took a few episodes before they really got into it. I was hooked after the first episode. I loved the fight scene in the Blaviken marketplace between Geralt and Renfri's henchmen. Stylistically, it felt very much like a video game and I think that was the intent. There's one cut (no pun intended) as Geralt engages the first guy after deflecting the crossbow bolt, but the rest is one tracking shot that felt very much like a third-person perspective video game. The sword fighting begins with a close-up rotating shot of Geralt where the camera moves from in front of him to behind him, almost like an "entering combat" moment. The fight sequence concludes with a similar close-up rotating shot of Geralt that moves in the opposite direction, signaling the end of combat. Immediately after, there's a cut as well as dialogue and Renfri crosses blades with Geralt, which felt more like a cutscene to me. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I thought it was awesome. Toss a coin to your Witcher!

Yep, that scene was filmed perfectly, I loved it too. He walked from one opponent to another, slicing them nicely.

I reminded me the last scene from Doom - do you guys remember that movie?
Wasn't the best movie ever made, but for gamers it was awesome - last scene when camera changes to first person perspective and main character goes through corridors like in-game footage, shooting all the monsters.