Author Topic: Wanna Switch - Colemak?  (Read 67023 times)

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 14:14:40 »
This is now my third day, since i have decided to give Colemak a try. After the first lessons
i can write this thread very slowly.. more burdensome. My first impression, apart from the
effort of time and concentration, is it feels more calmer..

Beginners or advancer here that can report their experience?
Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline Oqsy

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 17:19:21 »
I've got a colemak cooler that I fill with beer from time to time.  It works pretty well, but sometimes it seems like the ice melts a little faster than it should.  I don't know if the insulation inside the plastic degrades with age or what...
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 17:42:21 »
My dad has a similar cooler, he likes to fill it with Yuengling and bring it camping in the rain once a year.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline EverythingIBM

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 17:42:56 »
Quote from: Oqsy;203402
I've got a colemak cooler that I fill with beer from time to time.  It works pretty well, but sometimes it seems like the ice melts a little faster than it should.  I don't know if the insulation inside the plastic degrades with age or what...

Beer?? ewwwww. How about some cranberry juice. YUM! Cranberry juice w/ a 300PL w/ some DOS games w/ a LAN party. Just better hope the games use TCP/IP instead of IPX. I HATE IPX AAAAAAAH, nothing I tried would work. Then again, I tried using modems and that didn't work either. Luckily most of my games support TCP/IP.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline EverythingIBM

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 17:45:11 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;203408
My dad has a similar cooler, he likes to fill it with Yuengling and bring it camping in the rain once a year.

I wouldn't be surprised if your dad opened it one day and seen a bunch of 5" floppies spilling out. "ohhh, little CLIB is at it again!"

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 17:47:07 »
No he would open it up and find that I had stolen all his beer.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline EverythingIBM

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 18:01:51 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;203412
No he would open it up and find that I had stolen all his beer.

And then you'd trade the beer with MW for some vintage computers.

Offline sam113101

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 20:01:21 »
I'm using a french dvorak keyboard layout called bépo since 5 months I think, and I love it, better than qwerty

the first month was very hard, I was typing at the speed of 60 words a minute in qwerty and fell back to 6 words a minute, it got frustrating sometimes

now I might have reached my qwerty speed, I might even type faster now
I will take a typing test soon, I'm curious too

I wasn't a touch typist and it's the reason why I tried dvorak
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline Oqsy

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 20:12:32 »
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 20:18:55 »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Viett

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 20:19:53 »
Love Colemak. I wrote a review about QWERTY, Dvorak, and Colemak a while ago. Stick with it. It'll pay off.
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline EverythingIBM

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 July 2010, 20:44:12 »
Quote from: Oqsy;203474
Bepo

EDIT: it took me awhile to get the URL for that... they masked it with a one-pixel invisible GIF file lol. I started seeing people do that. But luckily there's "source code" (and messy code at that, lots of generators).

Bepo? What is that, really. Some four-legged bear thing.

Quote from: microsoft windows;203477
Show Image

Possum! Squirrel!

« Last Edit: Fri, 16 July 2010, 20:49:54 by EverythingIBM »

Offline aegrotatio

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 02:04:50 »
Colemak is nobile but too different from the day-to-day, get-work-done keyboard layouts that I need to survive.  Even after the several weeks of learning the format I'm not sure the 10% of typing efficiency I might gain would matter to anyone more than people who transcribe thousands of words per day, but then, doesn't OCR handle that, too?  But I digress.  Sigh.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 02:46:01 »
I can switch between qwertz and colemak on my protoype quickly, both layouts was programmed
into the controller and are selectable via key combination, no software is required. Today on the
fourth, my speed is ~20 wpm..

Colemak does a good job at loading the stronger fingers (index and middle)
and uses them most of the time.
DT225 CH Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 03:45:20 »
Quote from: Viett;203478
Love Colemak. I wrote a review about QWERTY, Dvorak, and Colemak a while ago. Stick with it. It'll pay off.

How long you type already with Colemak, and you never repented this decision?
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline effnish

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 09:54:12 »
I thought I'd chime in here with my Colemak experiences.  About 6 months ago I made the switch.  I'm a software developer by day, so I thought it was worth my time if it was more comfortable to type on.

Prior to the switch I typed QWERTY at 80-90 WPM.  It took about an hour or two to memorize the Colemak layout.  The first couple of days were brutal.  I was typing a dismal 13 WPM and abandoned using it at work until I could type at a more respectable rate.  By the end of the week I was closer to 25 WPM.  Another 2-3 weeks later I was up to 40ish WPM.  

For me 40 WPM is the real sweet spot for using the layout comfortably.  I don't think much faster than 40 WPM so I don't notice the speed difference that much unless I'm transcribing text.  I currently type about 65-70 WPM on Colemak and my QWERTY speed has stayed about the same (more on this later).

Colemak is definitely a "calmer" layout.  Your fingers aren't dancing across the keyboard nearly as much.  I find that it's also much more comfortable to type on for long periods of time.  I did have more hand discomfort when I first started because I was typing a lot more and I was much more tense when I typed.

Here are some of my suggestions for making the switch.

Plan to practice for about an hour a day for the first couple of weeks.  When you get frustrated take a break for a while.

Don't try and use it for anything that's time critical until your comfortable with your typing speed.  It just caused me frustration and increases typing discomfort since I was stressed and tense while I typed.

If you have more than one computer set one up as Colemak and leave a QWERTY computer.  Your brain does an amazing job of associating keyboard layouts by physical environment.  This helped me learn Colemak without losing QWERTY.  I stopped using QWERTY for a month and found it really difficult to type it when I needed to.  Maintain QWERTY because you'll need it if you ever have to help a coworker with a problem or borrow someone else's computer.  At this point all of my computers but one are set to use Colemak.  The one I use the least is set to QWERTY which forces me to use it regularly.

Offline Viett

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 10:47:37 »
Quote from: noctua;203546
How long you type already with Colemak, and you never repented this decision?

I learned the layout a year ago, but I only started actually using Colemak in February. I feel more comfortable with it now than I ever did with Dvorak, which I typed for almost two years.
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 11:02:11 »
I started to learn Colemak in November last year. Only kept up to it because it didn't annoy me like Dvorak did trying to learn it a year earlier (mostly symbols for programming).

As for speed, I'm probably a little bit faster on QWERTY still. However the comfort and convenience (I don't touch type with QWERTY) keep me with Colemak.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 03:26:39 »
Thanks for sharing your experiences, today on the fifth my fingers feels good with "calmer" Colemak.
But i have to be very concentrated to reach the required accuracy, memorizing the layout is one
thing, the other to hit the right key each time..

My qwertz-status-quo smiles only about the slow typing maneuver...
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline mcbrite

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 12:40:24 »
I started only yesterday evening. This msg is typed in Colemak. It's veeeeery slow still, but surprisingly I don't have to look at the layout at all anymore.

Memorizing it was FAR easier than I imagined!

Nocuta:
May I ask where you put the german Umlaute?

Pro Tipp for peeps learning to touchtype:
Whatever your training schedule, make sure you have at least a small training unit at the end of the evening, just before going to bed.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 July 2010, 12:45:40 by mcbrite »

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 13:47:37 »
Indeed, the keys aou are occupied by the french accents áóú. The german umlauts
have unfavourable positions.. ä -> q, ü -> y and ö is on ;!

This guy has moved the umlauts to their "original" positions (ÄÖÜ -> AltGr AOU),
much more better.

Personally i have built my own keyboard prototype from scratch, both layouts
(QWERTZ/COLEMAK) are stored into Teensy++ controller, i press Fn+aou and
get äöü.

What was your reason for trying resp. switch to Colemak?
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 July 2010, 13:51:13 by noctua »
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline krstf

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 16:44:32 »
I switched about 6 weeks ago. In the beginning I trained about 1-2 hours a day, before going on holiday a for 2 weeks about 2 weeks after I switched. After returning I trained much less and now my speed is about 20-30 wpm (which is about half my qwerty speed), progressing slowly but steadily.
I really like the feel of the layout - much more relaxing to type. There's only one thing which can be a bit annoying: as soon as I reach a certain speed my QWERTY muscle memory seems to kick in from time to time - most prominent example is hitting r when I intend to hit s - but I guess that will go away with time.

Anyone else experience this?

Cheers

Offline Viett

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 17:42:46 »
Quote from: krstf;203946

Anyone else experience this?

Maybe the opposite. Before I forgot how to type Dvorak completely, when I decided to switch to Colemak, the only way I could type Dvorak was if I told myself to type as fast as possible. If I typed too slowly, I'd start to type Colemak again.

For a while I wanted to retain all three layouts. But I gave up-- it was way too much to bother remembering Dvorak when there was no real reason to ever use it.

Offline n3rrd

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 22:18:55 »
I have no real qualms with QWERTY myself, but I've always been interested in learning an alternative.  It sounds as though one should learn Colemak over Dvorak?  I appreciate that Colemak leaves cut, copy, and paste shortcuts in the same place.  I'm not sure how I feel about having to remap keys for VIM, though.

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 04:43:48 »
I type since 10 years on the QWERTZ layout, this was/is ok for me too.
But this layout isn't "really" ideal for everybody whose native language
is not english.. you know, but this is also true for the Colemak layout.

Specially for germans the NordTast layout may be an alternative.

Why Colemak, hmm we all creature of habit. The fact that the letters
"qwahzxycvbm,." are unchanged on the Colemak layout is personally
an advantage for me.. still i will feel how it is in another Church ;-)
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 06:50:40 »
Today on sixt day, i have replaced the green mx switch (under the spacebar)
with an lighter blue one, this feels better. For my practice training, i "perform"
now an slower steady rhythm/beat. It will take some time..

Does anybody use the left thumb for the spacebar?
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 07:14:25 »
Quote from: noctua;204467
Does anybody use the left thumb for the spacebar?

I mostly use my right, but if my right thumb isn't on the space bar I will use my left.

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 10:28:39 »
Huh, I'm stuck resp. i am confused. I have so much practiced Colemak that i can't type some lines with Qwerty at the moment, no chance..
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline JBert

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 16:34:53 »
I tried to go cold turkey and mostly kept it up. I had to cheat those few first days though as I couldn't type fast enough to get mails or chat out of the door soon enough.

As for WPM, I can't really say how fast I typed before on QWERTY. I used some hunt-and-swarm technique where I knew some rolls and letters but still continuously had to look to reposition my hand to the right letter. That's what you get from chatting without formal touch-typing training.

To put a number on it, I think I did somewhere between 20-40 WPM before, depending on the type of text to be typed. Right now I can get 50-60 WPM although my accuracy is still off. It seems this remains the same, even when typing at 40 WPM, I just seem to start missing characters when I lose focus.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline effnish

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 20 July 2010, 19:39:48 »
Quote from: noctua;204519
Huh, I'm stuck resp. i am confused. I have so much practiced Colemak that i can't type some lines with Qwerty at the moment, no chance..

If you dedicate some time to qwerty (1-2 hrs), it'll come back.  Early on it's really tough to switch back and forth, especially if it's the same computer/keyboard.  With enough practice you'll be able to switch pretty seamlessly.  I had a period where I couldn't use qwerty.  All it took was moving back to it as my primary layout for a few days.  This was at a time when I was at 50-60 WPM on Colemak.  Since then it's been much easier to switch.

On a somewhat related note, I took my cherry blue keyboard to work today to annoy my officemate and I made a small discovery.  My office computer is qwerty and has been for some time.  As soon as I start typing on the blues, I suddenly wanted to type in Colemak.  Apparently my brain has associated the blue-click with Colemak.

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 21 July 2010, 11:23:25 »
It is curious, when i type english on Colemak layout it feels at the moment more conclusively
resp. logical, contrary to Qwertz that feels now so uncoordinated and scattered..

effnish: Do you type during the first 5-10 minutes of every day in QWERTY? (to maintain your QWERTY skills)
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 13:09:22 »
The German keyboad layout is an catastrophe specially for proramming ([]{}..),
therefore i have changed once again the controller "USB usage codes", the
prototype represents now an US Colemak layout. For more consistence, i
have used the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator V1.4 to handle with
the german umlauts (äöü) and the ß.
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 13:30:22 »
The German keyboad layout is an catastrophe specially for proramming ([]{}..),
therefore i have once again changed the controller "USB usage codes", the
prototype represents now an "hardcoded" US Colemak layout. For handling
with the umlauts i have used MS Keyboars Layout Creator 1.4.

Combination AltGr+a = ä, AltGr+s = ß etc.
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline effnish

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 14:26:32 »
Quote from: noctua;204821
It is curious, when i type english on Colemak layout it feels at the moment more conclusively
resp. logical, contrary to Qwertz that feels now so uncoordinated and scattered..

effnish: Do you type during the first 5-10 minutes of every day in QWERTY? (to maintain your QWERTY skills)

I just leave one computer that I use daily, set to QWERTY.  So for example I may set my office computer and laptop to Colemak, but leave my desktop on QWERTY.  The little bit I use my desktop after work is sufficient to keep my QWERTY skills honed.  Lately I've been working on a lot of lab computers that are all set to QWERTY since my coworkers don't share my enthusiasm for Colemak.

I noticed, especially early on that it was very difficult to switch the keyboard layout on the same computer.  I found it was much easier to switch if the environment was different such as: keyboard, physical computer, OS, etc.  At this point I can pretty much switch at will on the same computer.  There are a few keys (T, G, K) that give me grief depending on the layout.

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 04:02:15 »
Today i know Qwerty wasn't the "best" idea, but this layout exist now since > 134 years,
..the strange face of an status quo.. , that i have self learned - like anybody candidate too
in the manner of conformance..

This is the Colemak layout that i use on my prototype, any suggestions regarding to the modifications?
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline dissident

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 06:50:45 »
I'd like to learn it, I really would, but so many keyboards out there are qwerty that it seems like too much of a  hassle to be worth it, especially since I type 60 plus words a minute now, and that won't really improve much with a new layout, the only way to improve that speed is to deliberately try to with exercises to improve muscle memory. As I sit here typing this message though I realize just how stupid qwerty really is... my fingers are going all over the place!

Offline dissident

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 09:27:58 »
What's the best way to learn colemak? I printed out a mapping of the keys... since I can type the other format just fine I figured it would be less painful then trying to do it blind... force myself to use it full time on this computer...

Offline Viett

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 09:52:02 »
I wouldn't try anything like going cold turkey immediately. In one memorization session, memorize the entire layout from your printout using touch typing (using the correct finger to a corresponding key). Use something like TypeFaster to help you learn a few keys at a time, if necessary. This will take only 1-2 hours, and you'll only ever need to do this once.

Once you have the key positions memorized, you can ditch your reference and cease looking at your keyboard altogether. From there, expect to be typing far below 5 WPM. Practice 1-2 hours a day until your speed improves. Once you feel decently comfortable with the new layout, you can switch to Colemak exclusively. The key is to not use Colemak outside of a practice environment until you are comfortable, or you may get stressed out, leading to poor typing form and the temptation to switch back to QWERTY.

This is what I would recommend, but do what works for you.

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 11:18:29 »
For some practice lessons i used my left thumb to press the spacebar,
one might think that "we" should do so with Colemak ;-)
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 12:54:56 »
lol, due to my copious amounts of FPS playing before learning to touch type, I only use the my left thumb for the space bar.

Noctua, where's the tab key?
Kiibohd

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 13:45:04 »
The location of the tab key and all other keys (enter, backspace..) is an
surprise and will not yet be revealed. :smile: But i give you an hint, i was
inspired by the PLUM keyboard.

Normally i use my right thumb to press the spacebar, but i found it very
comfortable to use the alternative left thumb, unfortunately my brain
becomes more stressed (focus on the left thumb) and my accuraccy
has suffered..

I think, it's just a matter of practice and habits. Anyway today i have
reached sometimes the 40 wpm, Qwerty your days are numbered.. :tape:
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 13:47:07 »
Closer to this one then?
Kiibohd

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 14:19:03 »
Yes - because of the splitted layout and No - because of the staggered layout.
But the index finger dosn't use tab or the enter key on my prototype.. hmm
Anyhow, congratulation to your fine µTRON keyboard with Topre switches!
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline Viett

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 23 July 2010, 15:41:55 »
Quote from: HaaTa;205620
lol, due to my copious amounts of FPS playing before learning to touch type, I only use the my left thumb for the space bar.

After learning to touch type, I switched to ESDF instead of WASD. This is especially nice with NKRO, because a lot of combos on the ESDF row are blocked on normal keyboards.

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 27 July 2010, 11:03:53 »
The power of habit, i have changed the positions of symbols once more. The
brackets are now accessible via Shift key and need no longer the awkward
AltGr key. The key #' is double occupied, on the second layer here is the ´`
key located. I have ordered some keyboard sticker's to update the
keycaps to the Colemak layout..

My practice speed: ~35 wpm with an higher focus on accuracy..
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 04:32:56 »
Today after two weeks, my current speed on Typeracer ~40 wpm, of course i have to concentrate
on my typing but with each day it becomes more "easier" and Colemak is it worth.

For learning and practicing the whole layout i use the "free" sense-lang.org website, also i have
placed an layout image on my monitor, and i use different keyboard's: the "clicky" for Colemak
and my "old" MS Natural Keyboard for Qwerty.
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline gr1m

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 29 July 2010, 04:45:10 »
I gave up learning how to touch type in about 3 days, but I see many posts about learning new layouts (like yours above) and they all involve long periods of time, as well as being slow to start with to learn how to be precise. I ignored all of that. I pushed myself to reach the same 90 wpm in about 3 days and got too annoyed with the mistakes I was making to keep trying.

It's kind of like learning how to play guitar, except I don't put the effort in for learning how to touch type because I don't find that it is as important as guitar (I think I'm wrong, touch typing should be great ergonomically and otherwise).

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 04 August 2010, 10:06:40 »
Today, after almost three weeks i'am at the 50 wpm "barrier". With each day of practicing,
my muscle becomes more and more adapted to the Colemak layout. I have realised that
my mistakes comes from "hasty" reading from screen, also i must give my hands a little
bit more time when i roll some combinations "to fast". In this case my synchronization between the left ant right hand becomes confused..
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 04 August 2010, 10:40:51 »
Today, after almost three weeks i'am at the 50 wpm "barrier". With each day of practicing Colemak,
my muscle memory becomes more and more adapted to that. I have realised that my mistakes
comes from "hasty" reading from screen, also from hasty rolling of some combinations..  In this
case my synchronization between the left ant right hand becomes quickly confused..

On Colemak layout i feel my right hand sometimes, after long typing sessions,
in contrast to Qwerty where i feel my left hand more..

I have seen here a small minority of "typists" that use a non-standard layout,
i'm sure we have also Dvorak "typists" here..
DT225 CH Trackball

Offline noctua

Wanna Switch - Colemak?
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 12 August 2010, 06:32:58 »
So after four weeks, the 50 wpm barrier is broken, up to the next "60" wpm ;-)
Apropos non-staggered layout, personally for me an clear improvement, and
the blue clicky's are much lighter to press than the rubber-domes on my
Natual Keyboard, for the moment i like the click and Colemak!
DT225 CH Trackball