Author Topic: Problem with Thunderbird Email  (Read 2297 times)

Offline pewpewnii

Problem with Thunderbird Email
« on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 00:36:39 »
NEED HELP FOR THE EMAIL PROBLEM, Sender send Excel file to receiver but the receiver will receive a strange format of the excel file which cannot be open. But if I download the file to my pc and rename the format to xlsx then it can be open in my computer...

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Problem with Thunderbird Email
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 00:44:04 »
Is the recipient competent or do they have extensions hidden so their renaming doesn't work?

Doesn't explain why it's converting letters to codes though, maybe an excessive 'convert to html' 'feature' because one character is invalid (space most likely)

Should still open if they chose excel manually though, unless new versions are stupified.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline pewpewnii

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 01:00:59 »
Is the recipient competent or do they have extensions hidden so their renaming doesn't work?

Doesn't explain why it's converting letters to codes though, maybe an excessive 'convert to html' 'feature' because one character is invalid (space most likely)

Should still open if they chose excel manually though, unless new versions are stupified.

There's multiple of recipient in this email , all of them is using outlook and the user send through thunderbird tho. I have no idea what's the setting of those recipient.

Yea i have no idea on it, but from what I see in the user email , the "excel" file can be open tho.

No, it cant be open if i choose "Open with" excel

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 01:05:04 »
well yeah excel checks the extension and will often fail to open if it is wrong, depend on the excel version 2010 is much better at opening corrupted/misnamed files than 2016 (the 2 versions i use most at work)
Open/LibreOffice are much better than Excel at opening dead excel files btw so it is a good "investment"(free, just takes space) to download it and keep it on hand if you work with Excel a lot
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2020, 01:07:03 by yui »
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline pewpewnii

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 02:40:26 »

it is a good "investment"(free, just takes space) to download it and keep it on hand if you work with Excel a lot

Is this the only solution for the user? because its happen in current company and if i do it which mean i need to setup for all the cleints?

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 03:07:01 »
Is this the only solution for the user? because its happen in current company and if i do it which mean i need to setup for all the clients?
so at the company i am at right know i downloaded a portable version on the samba share and when someone needs it they either try and end up lost and call me to do it or just ask me to do it. i mostly use it for files that excel fails to save correctly and corrupts once or twice per month. and it may bot even be the solution to your problem, if you can ask the guy who sent the document how he did it cause Thunderbird as far as i know should not meddle with files although if he is on a mac that can be a world of hurt (MacOS/OSX and Windows use different character encoding and neither support the other...) and old macs ran in big-endian while x86 machines run in little-endian (might have swapped them).
So pray the error is between the chair and keyboard and that he does not use an old mac :)

ps. the reason i bought the mac story up is that it look a lot like encoding issues and given what i have seen when a colleague decided to use a mac at work, well i would not be too surprised.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 06:23:43 »
well yeah excel checks the extension and will often fail to open if it is wrong, depend on the excel version 2010 is much better at opening corrupted/misnamed files than 2016
They stupified it.  Sad that I guessed they might, what's the point in checking the extension when the file has a perfectly usable header?

If you can't send excel files can you zip and send them?  Hopefully they didn't stupify windows by removing the built in .zip handling too (assuming it's not an old Mac - interesting stuff yui)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 01:26:30 »
They stupified it.  Sad that I guessed they might, what's the point in checking the extension when the file has a perfectly usable header?

If you can't send excel files can you zip and send them?  Hopefully they didn't stupify windows by removing the built in .zip handling too (assuming it's not an old Mac - interesting stuff yui)
i find funny how Microsoft keeps on removing features from their OS/programs as they go the higher the version the less you can do with it since 7, or maybe 2000 but i skipped xp and vista (did not like the XP interface) so i am not sure that far

Offline pewpewnii

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 20:02:28 »
Aight, so I figure out is the extension apps "Look Out" is out of date so it can't support the file to send out... Have to wait the latest update released only can I fix it. I GUESS