Author Topic: Trying to fix a CM Storm Rapid fire  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Slupod

Trying to fix a CM Storm Rapid fire
« on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 03:03:36 »
So recently I broke the mini USB cable to my CM Storm Rapid Fire because I kept plugging and unplugging the connection. I looked for the daughterboard that connects to the keyboard and with no luck I went to the far corners of the internet to find the names of the connections and everything (im new to this stuff :P) It  is a daughterboard adapter with a 5 pin female JST to a mini USB female. Anything would help! I just want to know if I could buy it online somewhere or if I have to make it and how. Thx

Offline Slupod

Re: Trying to fix a CM Storm Rapid fire
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 03:06:33 »
I could probably provide pictures if you need them

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 03:12:39 »
pictures would probably help, mouser and digikey have tons of everything, just gotta know what you are looking for.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline Slupod

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 03:33:59 »
Heres the pictures

Offline Slupod

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 03:43:19 »
You can see on the daughter board those little 3 spots and one of them is gone thats because i just yanked out the broken mini USB because I got really mad.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 04:02:22 »
i tried looking and just didn't seem to find the part. you may end up finding one that serves the same purpose and you'd just have to attach it in a different way.

Offline Slupod

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 04:06:05 »
Do you think I could connect the JST Directly to a USB cable?

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 04:19:44 »
filco pcb has a 5 pin molex connector that attaches to the usb cable.
EDIT: like
More
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2015, 04:24:52 by fknraiden »

Offline Slupod

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 04:35:42 »
Hey so I did ALOT of searching and I found this. I don't know much about this type of stuff but the one i found seems to be really straight forward without any resisters or filters while the original broken one had a bunch of little filters or something that the connection went through. Im not sure whether it would break my keyboard or not. Heres the link:https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9966

Offline Pentotark

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 04:44:55 »
Hey so I did ALOT of searching and I found this. I don't know much about this type of stuff but the one i found seems to be really straight forward without any resisters or filters while the original broken one had a bunch of little filters or something that the connection went through. Im not sure whether it would break my keyboard or not. Heres the link:https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9966

Hello. did you manage to test this board and see if the keyboard works? I have your same exact issue and looking for a replacement board for the usb.

Offline yui

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 05:00:07 »
from what i see on the photos the extra components may be ESD protection, so if you do not touch the pins from the usb while on carpet you should be OK with any random mini/micro usb breakout board and solder the wires onto it, that is if you have a soldering iron, else you will need to find one with the right connector, or a donor keyboard that had water damage maybe
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 06:33:20 »
Hello. did you manage to test this board and see if the keyboard works? I have your same exact issue and looking for a replacement board for the usb.

If you've just lifted a pad like the OP you could follow the trace and solder jumper wire to the component it goes to.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Pentotark

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 08:41:05 »

If you've just lifted a pad like the OP you could follow the trace and solder jumper wire to the component it goes to.

from what i see on the photos the extra components may be ESD protection, so if you do not touch the pins from the usb while on carpet you should be OK with any random mini/micro usb breakout board and solder the wires onto it, that is if you have a soldering iron, else you will need to find one with the right connector, or a donor keyboard that had water damage maybe

Thank you. I will try soldering the usb port back to the board. Tho I'd like also to have a plan B and order a usb daughter board just in case. Any suggestions on brand/model?

Offline yui

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 08:54:23 »
if you want to keep the usb mini you can go for the sparkfun one that slupod found, or much cheaper ones from ebay/aliexpress, connectors are not really worth going for name brand ones maybe try to find one with labels so you can match with the labels on the board you have. although if you go for that route you could change the connector to micro usb or type-C (harder as you may need resistors and to find the right contacts).
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Pentotark

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 10:22:09 »
if you want to keep the usb mini you can go for the sparkfun one that slupod found, or much cheaper ones from ebay/aliexpress, connectors are not really worth going for name brand ones maybe try to find one with labels so you can match with the labels on the board you have. although if you go for that route you could change the connector to micro usb or type-C (harder as you may need resistors and to find the right contacts).

Thanks so much, all of you!