Author Topic: Massdrop x Geekhack  (Read 185107 times)

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
Re: Massdrop x Geekhack
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:19:24 »
Will your avatar makes me uneasy and you look like the typical CEO that increases my holiday bonus but slashes my health insurance.
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:20:40 »
Certainly could've been way worse and in my experience Massdrop has been fine. Are they perfect? No- but unlike the opinion of a loud minority among the KB communities I don't think they've ever had nefarious intentions towards the many among this hobby... quite the opposite.

They're as relevant as any potential buyer and as many have said have a wide array of resources and connections at their disposal that should only benefit all of us. We'll see how things are in time but cautiously optimistic.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline dimo

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:20:40 »
I think most people here are glad that this site wasn't taken over by an outside company. But, the sense I'm getting from discussion isn't quite "cautious optimism." That might be what is literally being typed here, but I think the attitude I'm seeing (here and across various discords and slacks) would be better described as "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't."

While unarguably a large player, it's hard to think of Massdrop as a member of this corner of the kb community. Massdrop has profited over the blatant thefts of intellectual property. Designs that come from the members of this forum end up on MD as cheap knockoffs. Getting into the nitty-gritty of what constitutes intellectual property theft isn't really even the point. There are honor systems in place that MD has continued to ignore.

If you really want this community to believe that you're part of us and not here to farm us, this practice should end and some apologies should be issued.

are you talking about the CTRL/ALT being similar to the white fox ? I wouldn’t say that’s a “cheap knockoff”.

If not, give examples to back your claims.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:22:08 »

are you talking about the CTRL/ALT being similar to the white fox ? I wouldn’t say that’s a “cheap knockoff”.

He's probably referencing the whole input club halo switch debacle.

Offline dimo

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:23:25 »

He's probably referencing the whole input club halo switch debacle.

I thought so, but I wouldn’t think that’s still a “cheap knockoffs”. Halo trues are arguably better but still, it seems like they’re fixing it with the recent halo switch drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:28:25 »
how can i get in on this dedicated community member feedback

(on a less serious note, unban kirkle)

i've shat on md, i've bought from md, no one's perfect, do ur best and that's all i care about. thanks for keeping it alive
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:31:35 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline GeneriksGiraffe

• Living the Rubber Life
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:28:46 »
I'm glad geekhack won't be run by some adrev. But if Massdrop so much as TOUCHES the geekhack Marketplace and makes it Massdroppy you know I am done with this forum.
SOMEONE PLEASE SELL/TRADE ME AN HHKB PRO 1

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:29:53 »
I will admit that in the past I have been vocal about my dislike for some of the activities that MD has participated in. Putting those questionable decisions in vocalization behind me, I will at least say that I am glad that it was MD over some data mining company, especially if they do follow their statements in the op. I will still say I'm nervous about the potential ramifications of a large vendor owning a forum that lots of small vendors depend on to make their work available, but again as long as the initial statements hold true I don't see any issues at this time and I do foresee the site benefiting from someone who can afford to keep the site running at peak performance.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:34:58 »
A: This literally is the outcome that I and others saw coming. I knew MD had to be in the running. I do not necessarily view this as a bad thing. It is in their best interest to make sure GH stays in place and in use.

B: I am very curious to see how this affects GB’s etc. from a business standpoint, MD could make a little off of every GB.

C: The most important thing, please don’t make Puddsy a mod.

Offline TelFiRE

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:38:04 »
This is far and away the worst way things could have gone. I am bitterly disappointed right now. Massdrop has shown beyond any doubt that they do not care about their communities and are in it for the money. What a rotten day.
KBD75 GMK Terminal          XD84 DSA Black on GSF + Hana Matcha + Serum

Offline dimo

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:43:25 »
This is far and away the worst way things could have gone. I am bitterly disappointed right now. Massdrop has shown beyond any doubt that they do not care about their communities and are in it for the money. What a rotten day.

Troll?

Helping spread our best run keysets? Showing the mk community to more people and making them the sole reason we’ve been gaining members. Laser/Canvas alt/ctrl seem fine. Mercury Rocketeer project seems to be going great.

“This is far and away the worst way things could have gone”

Even worse than a chinese company sucking out the data and life out of gh and leaving nothing?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:43:53 »
I'm personally undecided at the moment. When someone mentioned the idea that it might be Massdrop who bought geekhack, I was pretty negative. Having read everything so far, I'm now on the fence.

Q: Will vendors or individuals who advertise platforms that seek to compete directly with Massdrop in the mechanical keyboard space see any pushback, or will any initiative be allowed here?

Q: Will Massdrop remain a vendor with their own vendor subforum alongside all the others, or will you use ownership of the forum to more prominently position Massdrop-related projects?

Q: Will everyone still be free to openly express dislike for Massdrop, its products, or its practices without fear of censorship or retaliation?

Q: Will Massdrop agree to yield to the existing administration and moderation team with regards to changes to the forum's structure or rules, or will you reserve the right to change anything at any time if unilaterally deemed necessary?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:44:37 »
This sounds good i guess there is no need for Geekhack.EU anymore  ;)
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:46:42 »
Concerned that Will spelled geekhack with a capital G. :(

Asking the hard hitting questions

I too am concerned by this
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:47:08 »
Troll?

Helping spread our best run keysets?

More like you can barely run any keyset buy without them.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:47:44 »

Troll?

Helping spread our best run keysets? Showing the mk community to more people and making them the sole reason we’ve been gaining members. Laser/Canvas alt/ctrl seem fine. Mercury Rocketeer project seems to be going great.

Even worse than a chinese company sucking out the data and life out of gh and leaving nothing?

Ignore Telfire, no point in bringing up the drama he started on Massdrop but needless to say it's embarrassing for all the parties involved, he's clearly still upset about it.

Offline dimo

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:49:54 »

Troll?

Ignore Telfire, no point in bringing up the drama he started on Massdrop but needless to say it's embarrassing for all the parties involved, he's clearly still upset about it.

Oh, sorry, I didn’t know here was drama w him. Got it :x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:54:14 »
remember that time i got mad at md lol
I love Elzy

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:56:06 »
I'm personally undecided at the moment. When someone mentioned the idea that it might be Massdrop who bought geekhack, I was pretty negative. Having read everything so far, I'm now on the fence.

Q: Will vendors or individuals who advertise platforms that seek to compete directly with Massdrop in the mechanical keyboard space see any pushback, or will any initiative be allowed here?

Q: Will Massdrop remain a vendor with their own vendor subforum alongside all the others, or will you use ownership of the forum to more prominently position Massdrop-related projects?

Q: Will everyone still be free to openly express dislike for Massdrop, its products, or its practices without fear of censorship or retaliation?

Q: Will Massdrop agree to yield to the existing administration and moderation team with regards to changes to the forum's structure or rules, or will you reserve the right to change anything at any time if unilaterally deemed necessary?

I'm not affiliated with the project in any way but in my opinion I believe it stands to reason that the answer to all of those questions is yes - I trust Massdrop know better than to pigeonhole the community and piss people off, making people angry and resentful is one of the worst things you can do when it comes to niche hobby/communities such as this one. This isn't to say Massdrop has always appeased the broader audience or the community, I know that's not the case, but trying to obfuscate other vendors, increasing their prominence and other "power" moves are much more likely to yield bad results than they are good.

Even if they were to consider it, which I don't personally think they would out of principle, it's not at all worth the risk for them to try and decrease or be dissimulate about potential "competition" as opposed to the backlash if that were to happen.

Offline Snappo

• meme
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 12:58:57 »
cautious optimism

gonna send in a mod application a little later on today

Pls no

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:00:11 »
This is a better result than Zeal having it.
keyboards

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:01:08 »
Wow holy ****. I'm semi ok with this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:07:52 »
Can I organise a group buy for some new hall effect hako switches?

Offline mdlt97

• This **** is still better than Keebtalk
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:10:23 »
cautious optimism

puddsy being a mod is worse than some Chinese data farming company buying gh
TX60 | Duck TC-V3 | Duck Eagle V2 1/1 Bottom | Zephyr r2 | Duck Sidewinder | Mech27v2 | TX75 | LZ CLS | Duck Viper v2 | Orion v3 | HHKB pro 1 | TGR 910 | Omega60

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:10:37 »
This is a really interesting turn of events.  On the one hand, at least it's not some data mining company and theoretically it might be easier to actually get ICs turned into GBs on massdrop, or at least mentioned on there.  But on the other hand, the cynic in me says there's absolutely no way they will be hands off and be cool with people saying "yeah nah **** MD i'm gonna run my buy on another site" and that down the road we won't see something like ads everywhere for that killer $2 off MSRP deal for some ****ty keyboard/caps nobody wants.

This basically reminds me of the gamespot/gamefaqs mergers.  Or on firmly pessimistic note, audiophile forums becoming sponsored and embroiled in drama with anyone who criticizes the sponsors.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:14:49 by a_ak57 »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:12:56 »
snip

I'm not affiliated with the project in any way but in my opinion I believe it stands to reason that the answer to all of those questions is yes - I trust Massdrop know better than to pigeonhole the community and piss people off, making people angry and resentful is one of the worst things you can do when it comes to niche hobby/communities such as this one. This isn't to say Massdrop has always appeased the broader audience or the community, I know that's not the case, but trying to obfuscate other vendors, increasing their prominence and other "power" moves are much more likely to yield bad results than they are good.

Even if they were to consider it, which I don't personally think they would out of principle, it's not at all worth the risk for them to try and decrease or be dissimulate about potential "competition" as opposed to the backlash if that were to happen.

I agree with you that the answers will probably be what we want to hear, but I think it's valuable to hear those answers from MD so that there's a written standard to which they can be held, instead of just an assumption of good faith.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:14:53 »
I think MD directly benefits by keeping GH around and letting it more or less stay as-is. While they certainly could attempt to monetize the site by changing what it is today, I think the user base would rapidly tank thereby voiding their investment. In the long run they benefit more by leaving it as is... a neutral place for makers and designers to grow their projects. The best they can hope for is just a few more than usual of those projects make their way to production on MD. It wouldn't take very many additional drops for this to pay for itself (assuming they didn't pay a stupid amount of money for it).

Just my $0.02

Offline sublyme

• sublyme_keys
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:15:50 »
This is a really interesting turn of events.  On the one hand, at least it's not some data mining company and theoretically it might be easier to actually get ICs turned into GBs on massdrop, or at least mentioned on there.  But on the other hand, the cynic in me says there's absolutely no way they will be hands off and be cool with people saying "yeah nah **** MD i'm gonna run my buy on another site" and that down the road we won't see something like ads everywhere for that killer $2 off MSRP deal for some ****ty keyboard/caps nobody wants.

This basically reminds me of the gamespot/gamefaqs mergers.  Or on firmly pessimistic note, audiophile forums becoming sponsored and embroiled in drama with anyone who criticizes the sponsors.

I really hope we don't start getting spammed with a bunch of ads for cheap garbage nobody wants.

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:18:13 »
Cautiously optimistic is a good place to be in for something like this. I am seeing a lot of "nothing will change in the near future" verbiage, so we can take that with a grain of salt. As Will said, communities should change and grow over time, so there is nothing wrong with some new features. I just really hope the GB section will stay available and equal for all vendors. I don't want to see MD GBs marked as sponsored, always on top, or just be given a bump in their own interest.

All in all, Massdrop is a much better company to have bought out geekhack compared to most others. We have to thank MD for part of the growth of this community.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:48:51 »
I just got back from KeyCon where I enjoyed some of the most excellent fellowship and hard-core geekery I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy in my life, and I was actually just musing to myself how fortunate I felt to have been a part of such a great community of people for so many years. Keyboards have become a huge part of my life since that day back in 2013 when I first discovered GeekHack and stayed up for 48 hours straight learning everything I could about Cherry switches. To me, GeekHack isn't the keys to the server that the forum runs on; it's the sum total interactions of the amazing, kind, generous people who have made this place what it has been for so long, many of whom have become some of my dearest friends. So, I have to confess: set against that otherwise happy mood and context, this news arrived to me with a considerable amount of heartbreak.

I frankly didn't even realize GeekHack had an "owner" until yesterday. I had always assumed that it was simply run by a collective of sort of moderator-trustees with the primary aim of serving the community. It never occurred to me that in all my years of interactions on the site, sharing and mutual learning, creating and documenting projects, and more recently organizing group buys for people who want the same stuff I do, that I was actually just cultivating a cash asset for someone I'd never heard of—something that could be bundled up, packaged, and sold to the highest bidder. So, when it comes to my feelings on the matter, the particular identity of that high-bidder isn't really material. It's the fact that there was ever bidding in the first place.

For whatever it's worth, though, while MassDrop may not be the worst buyer imaginable, comparing it against an anonymous hostile Chinese takeover is kind of maybe a low bar. And I think this awesome community is worthy of a very high bar indeed. My experiences as a customer and sometime business partner of MassDrop have been decidedly mixed. Without digressing too much into those experiences, one thing I think that is pretty safe to assert: when it comes to creating a friendly, positive, community-spirited social atmosphere online, MassDrop discussion treads are probably not the greatest portfolio piece for that company as a custodian of online community spirit.

Also, in my experience, it's not possible within most corporate cultures to justify getting into a bidding war and paying top dollar for an asset unless you have very specific plans to monetize it and get some kind of return on that investment. I don't know what MassDrop's plans are for that monetization, but even if they claimed they didn't have any (which they haven't quite gone so far as to do at this point), I'm not sure that would be terribly credible. I'm not looking forward to seeing what the roll-out of those plans looks like, which would surely be timed to emerge well after this controversy dies down. The language of the announcement appears carefully worded to leave just the right openings for this kind of strategic long game. I'm not ascribing malice here; I'm just trying to be realistic.

Obviously, I don't object to commercial activity in this community. I've sort of fallen into that myself, and it's a lot of fun. The whole premise is being obsessed with particular physical objects, and a necessary part of the premise of making stuff is money or goods changing hands. I've also been delighted to be able to buy things from other members of the community for years, whether professional vendors or not. Commerce is one thing; community ownership is something else entirely.

As far as I'm concerned, we the people of GeekHack who have built is content, its traffic, and its culture over these many years are its true owners. (Having watched it all unfold, I can say with some confidence that GeekHack made MassDrop viable, not the other way around.) Despite the bad forum software, eye-ball searing color scheme, and logistical annoyances, I've persisted here in doing projects at GeekHack because of my nostalgic attachment to the site and my deep affection for my fellow members of its community. My participation here has always been about furthering that community, and that's what I thought I was doing all along.

I'm just not sure how enthusiastic I am to continue participating here merely to build further cash-value for the VCs backing MassDrop, rather than being able to think about it as building value for a shared community that can control it own destiny. Without the community-oriented mission and spirit, this is just a really ugly website.

Perhaps American Independence Day is an appropriate day for this revelation. For those of us who have the kind of sentimental attachment to this community that I have described—or at least what we thought this community was—maybe it's time for us to think about rallying elsewhere. Wouldn't it be kind of be an amusing Oedipal irony if it turned out that MassDrop grossly overpaid for GeekHack as asset, the acquisition of which precipitated its own collapse?

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:52:29 »
Hi I would like to delete my account.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:12:21 by clasicks »

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:56:08 »
Will, dont look up the Contra gb

Congrats on the acquisition

Pretty stoked the communities information isn’t being sold to some chinese data mining company

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 13:57:25 »
cautious optimism

Please, for the love of all that is holy, **** no. Don't do it, Massdrop. It's bad enough that he's an r/mk mod.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:03:51 »
I just got back from KeyCon where I enjoyed some of the most excellent fellowship and hard-core geekery I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy in my life, and I was actually just musing to myself how fortunate I felt to have been a part of such a great community of people for so many years. Keyboards have become a huge part of my life since that day back in 2013 when I first discovered GeekHack and stayed up for 48 hours straight learning everything I could about Cherry switches. To me, GeekHack isn't the keys to the server that the forum runs on; it's the sum total interactions of the amazing, kind, generous people who have made this place what it has been for so long, many of whom have become some of my dearest friends. So, I have to confess: set against that otherwise happy mood and context, this news arrived to me with a considerable amount of heartbreak.

I frankly didn't even realize GeekHack had an "owner" until yesterday. I had always assumed that it was simply run by a collective of sort of moderator-trustees with the primary aim of serving the community. It never occurred to me that in all my years of interactions on the site, sharing and mutual learning, creating and documenting projects, and more recently organizing group buys for people who want the same stuff I do, that I was actually just cultivating a cash asset for someone I'd never heard of—something that could be bundled up, packaged, and sold to the highest bidder. So, when it comes to my feelings on the matter, the particular identity of that high-bidder isn't really material. It's the fact that there was ever bidding in the first place.

For whatever it's worth, though, while MassDrop may not be the worst buyer imaginable, comparing it against an anonymous hostile Chinese takeover is kind of maybe a low bar. And I think this awesome community is worthy of a very high bar indeed. My experiences as a customer and sometime business partner of MassDrop have been decidedly mixed. Without digressing too much into those experiences, one thing I think that is pretty safe to assert: when it comes to creating a friendly, positive, community-spirited social atmosphere online, MassDrop discussion treads are probably not the greatest portfolio piece for that company as a custodian of online community spirit.

Also, in my experience, it's not possible within most corporate cultures to justify getting into a bidding war and paying top dollar for an asset unless you have very specific plans to monetize it and get some kind of return on that investment. I don't know what MassDrop's plans are for that monetization, but even if they claimed they didn't have any (which they haven't quite gone so far as to do at this point), I'm not sure that would be terribly credible. I'm not looking forward to seeing what the roll-out of those plans looks like, which would surely be timed to emerge well after this controversy dies down. The language of the announcement appears carefully worded to leave just the right openings for this kind of strategic long game. I'm not ascribing malice here; I'm just trying to be realistic.

Obviously, I don't object to commercial activity in this community. I've sort of fallen into that myself, and it's a lot of fun. The whole premise is being obsessed with particular physical objects, and a necessary part of the premise of making stuff is money or goods changing hands. I've also been delighted to be able to buy things from other members of the community for years, whether professional vendors or not. Commerce is one thing; community ownership is something else entirely.

As far as I'm concerned, we the people of GeekHack who have built is content, its traffic, and its culture over these many years are its true owners. (Having watched it all unfold, I can say with some confidence that GeekHack made MassDrop viable, not the other way around.) Despite the bad forum software, eye-ball searing color scheme, and logistical annoyances, I've persisted here in doing projects at GeekHack because of my nostalgic attachment to the site and my deep affection for my fellow members of its community. My participation here has always been about furthering that community, and that's what I thought I was doing all along.

I'm just not sure how enthusiastic I am to continue participating here merely to build further cash-value for the VCs backing MassDrop, rather than being able to think about it as building value for a shared community that can control it own destiny. Without the community-oriented mission and spirit, this is just a really ugly website.

Perhaps American Independence Day is an appropriate day for this revelation. For those of us who have the kind of sentimental attachment to this community that I have described—or at least what we thought this community was—maybe it's time for us to think about rallying elsewhere. Wouldn't it be kind of be an amusing Oedipal irony if it turned out that MassDrop grossly overpaid for GeekHack as asset, the acquisition of which precipitated its own collapse?

Thanks for putting in to words a lot of what I’ve been thinking this morning after reading this forum. I feel like the past two days have been somewhat like hearing your best friend was dying, finding out that someone could possibly donate an organ to save him, and then hearing that the donated organ was a brain transplant. 

Offline dimo

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:04:41 »
normie invasion B)

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:05:27 »
So @Will, an actual question :P

Q: the recent GMK Keycap sets on MD have reacher much higher numbers than ever on GH. This is in most ways a benefit; 1) they actually get produced, 2) prices usually are lower. Would MD host GMK Keycap GB’s that originate from GH and if so; would actual proxies be an option? As someone from the EU buying via MD has always been an incredible expensive option (mostly due to customs and higher shipping prices), plus it just feels wrong and weird that a Keycap set from GMK get’s shipped from the EU to USA then back to EU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline GeneriksGiraffe

• Living the Rubber Life
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:08:48 »

So basically like when Microsoft bought Minecraft...
SOMEONE PLEASE SELL/TRADE ME AN HHKB PRO 1

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:11:38 »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:14:50 »
cautious optimism

puddsy being a mod is worse than some Chinese data farming company buying gh

Hope this is indeed true:

We are making no changes to the moderator or admin team.

Offline brianjking

• always carry a towel.
    • @brianjking
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:22:44 »
Hello Friends,

My name is Will Bright, I’m a Co-Founder of Massdrop, GH lurker since ‘08 and member since ‘12. Yesterday we purchased Geekhack.

I learned about the sale thread on Monday morning, and my first reaction was.... Wut? Like many thread participants, I was surprised to see this and concerned with the potential outcomes. I’ve spent my entire life in enthusiast communities, and I’ve seen many great communities disperse because of dramatic changes in ownership or management. On Monday, I feared Geekhack would meet a similar fate. From there, I called a meeting of our founding team to discuss purchasing Geekhack with the primary goal of preserving it.

There’s a lot of great stuff about GH, some would argue there’s garbage stuff about GH, but I think it’s hard to debate the dedication and sense of community created by the mods and long-term members of this community. In purchasing Geekhack, our goal is to support that dedication and empower the moderator team to continue improving the community you’ve all invested so much to build.

We’re not making any immediate changes. All rules, standards, processes, and regulations are the same this week as they were last week, and will be the same next week, and the week after, etc. We’re not making GH an advertising platform. We’re not interested in playing favorites with vendors or group buys. We are making no changes to the moderator or admin team.

This change in ownership should affect a 0% change in your GH experience.

That said, GH won’t remain the same forever, it shouldn’t. Communities are organic, they grow, they evolve. The key from our point of view is to support that growth, rather than direct that growth. We’re working with the mod team and dedicated community members to learn more about where the community is headed and what we can do as owners to facilitate that growth. Rest assured, any notable changes will be the result of community supported initiatives, not the will of some distant actor. 

By this point, hopefully you’re feeling cautiously optimistic, but you’re probably looking for the catch. How does Massdrop as a business benefit from buying GH if we’re not changing anything to monetize the site? Having a place for people to dive deeper into Mechanical Keyboards helps Massdrop create better products and leads to people being bigger Massdrop customers.

Geekhack is where Mechanical Keyboard enthusiasts can develop their knowledge and create projects together. The community needs a place for that, and we’re excited to help GH continue as that platform.

Best,

Will

P.S. My GH signature was one of the first Massdrop brand assets we made in 2012 and we’re still helping folks manage large group buys today : )

Few questions/comments:

• Can you or anyone else please fix the POODLE vulnerability that has been disclosed since 2014 regarding SSL v3? I'm sure some admin can fix this, otherwise, I'm happy to but I need SSH access which I clearly do not have. https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=geekhack.org&latest
  • [/size]Can you or anyone else also please update to patch against the LOGJAM attacks Re: Weak Diffie-Hellman and the Logjam Attack Again, I can happily fix this but don't have access to what I would need to fix this.
  • [/size]If/when any changes take place to the sites Terms of Service/Privacy Policy/Data Collection & Retention/Sharing policies when/where will these be posted?
  • [/size]If/when any changes take place to the above mentioned policies will we be able to have our private information archived and permanently deleted accordingly? If so, what will the process be for this?
  • [/size]Please do not increase PunksDead pay and slash his health insurance coverage. (more here)
[/size]Thank you.

« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:33:54 by brianjking »
TGR 910 (Healios) | HHKB BT KBDFans Silence-X | Roadkit (Cherry MX Silent Blacks) |Leopold FC750r (Cherry MX Silent Reds |TADA68 (Zealios) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S w/ Hasu BT | HHKB Pro 2 JP w/ Hasu BT & KBDFans Silence-X | RAMA M10-A w/ Zealios TINA-C w/ Cherry MX Silent Blacks HHKB BT Type-S

Offline darthzero

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:23:41 »
So @Will, an actual question :P

Q: the recent GMK Keycap sets on MD have reacher much higher numbers than ever on GH. This is in most ways a benefit; 1) they actually get produced, 2) prices usually are lower. Would MD host GMK Keycap GB’s that originate from GH and if so; would actual proxies be an option? As someone from the EU buying via MD has always been an incredible expensive option (mostly due to customs and higher shipping prices), plus it just feels wrong and weird that a Keycap set from GMK get’s shipped from the EU to USA then back to EU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But most of the time it's a conscious decision by the gb runners to not run through MD. You can apply "your" keyset at MD if you care to run it through them and have good feedback on your IC. I don't think this would be a good solution.  Just my 2 cents

At Will/Massdrop, thank you!
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:24:40 »

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline Keebmeupscotty

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:26:03 »
I've only known about this community for about a year, and have really enjoyed the ability to quickly deep dive geekhack has provided. Have been a part of quite a few Massdrop drops now and during that minimal experience, even when things go badly, they seem to try and make it right as much as possible. Gonna share in on the cautious optimism and hope that things can only get better!

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:38:28 »
Will your avatar makes me uneasy and you look like the typical CEO that increases my holiday bonus but slashes my health insurance.
Hahaha
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SpriteMite

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:46:51 »
r/mk will definitely get a kick out of this lol

This isn't the worst thing that can happen.

(now pls add a change username option i hate this username)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:54:58 »
r/mk will definitely get a kick out of this lol

This isn't the worst thing that can happen.

(now pls add a change username option i hate this username)

PM a mod and they can (iamtootallforthis, hoffmanmyster, photoelectric, user 18, etc).

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:59:44 »
I don't like this. I don't like this at all.
I am absolutely not a fan of Massdrop.

I nearly almost posted something in anger that would surely have got me banned. That's how strongly I feel about this.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:06:31 »
First off let me say that I am cautiously optimistic also. I have had nothing but good experiences with Massdrop thus far which might color my opinion. I think that one thing that is often missed is that there is a certain amount of symbiosis going on; Geekhack is the first door into the community in a lot of cases, and the ICs and GBs that are held here feed an ecosystem that they depend upon. If this goes bad, they would be hurt and held accountable. Look at the group buys where there are many things out of their control that they are held accountable for- this is much worse. With that in mind, I expect that there will be more control to make sure that people that run GBs on here are going to follow through.  That's not necessarily a bad thing- the devil is in the details.  And that will unfold as time goes on, but hopefully in a proactive way that involves the community.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:59:18 by chuckdee »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 15:11:11 »
I don't like this. I don't like this at all.
I am absolutely not a fan of Massdrop.

I nearly almost posted something in anger that would surely have got me banned. That's how strongly I feel about this.

Lol, well "Massdrop" is reporting 252 days without incident, idk what other vendors could do that even :)
<- My Collection (so far)