Author Topic: Clean lubed switch  (Read 4185 times)

Offline pewpewnii

Clean lubed switch
« on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 02:30:47 »
Is there any details information to clean lubed switches? Yesterday I did my first time switch lubing and I start wondering how do I clean it.

Offline lakeboredom

Re: Clean lubed switch
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 02:34:18 »
ultra sonic cleaner

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 03:34:07 »
or a lot of patience with a cloth, or maybe warm soapy water, i actually never tried on purpose but when i cleaned my damaged M (now restored M) the lube went away with the sugar that i was trying to remove. i would fear a but for oxidation of the contacts with switches though, if not gold/chrome plated.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 03:46:01 »
Without an ultra sonic cleaner your only option is to disassemble them, spray the heck out of the switch base with something like Deoxit D5 (and hope it works), then grab a brush and some citrus cleaner such as Goo Gone and some hot water and go at the stem and top.

Honestly, unless you have access to an ultra sonic cleaner just buy new switches, this is WAY more effort than it's worth.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 23:04:06 »
When you say clean the switch do you mean remove the lubricant from the moving parts of the switch?

Leslieann is right- the easiest way may actually be to replace the switches, assuming they are cheap.  If you are experimenting with different lubricants or swapping parts then this is obviously not the best answer.

Disassemble the switch or switches completely and soak, swirl, and rinse in soapy, then fresh water.  When dry you can follow up with Ronsonol lighter fluid.  Soak the parts for an hour or so in the fluid and swirl them around (the fluid evaporates fast so you will have to cover it).  If necessary you can repeat again in soapy water and finish with the lighter fluid.

It is safe to use on ABS and PBT plastic.  You will of course not want to use near heat or flame and in a well ventilated area.

Watch repair is a hobby of mine.  I frequently use an ultrasonic cleaner as well as lighter fluid to clean various oils and grease from watch parts- I have also used them to clean switch parts.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline jamster

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 23:43:05 »
Ultrasonic cleaners seem to have some fairly inexpensive options available. Are they all equally effective?

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 00:15:09 »
I have owned two ultrasonic cleaners and both were more for hobbyists vs commercial applications.  The first one was the Gem Oro Sparkle Spa and lasted a few years.  The second one was the Gem Oro 1.2 quart which I still have- I think I paid around 65 or 70.  The second was more powerful and did a better job of cleaning old, dried out grease.  I'm looking for the specs to see what the difference was- I don't know off hand if it was the wattage or the frequency.

When I purchased the second one I researched this, because I was concerned about damaging certain delicate parts or finishes.  If you put a piece of aluminum foil in the cleaner the cavitation will put holes in it!

It may have actually been the wattage.  The Sparkle Spa was 35 watts, I just can't find the wattage of the second- it may have been 55 watts.  It's a handy thing to have and I have found many uses for it over the years including cleaning jewelry and watch bands and the like. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 01:53:27 »
i bought a cheap Chinese 1.5L a few years back, i recently tried to clean my glasses in it and surprise when they came out without paint... but worked well for cleaning keycaps and other things with no paint on them. and dental cleaning tabs (no clue how those are actually called in english, sorry) do work well to make it even more aggressive.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 09:03:51 »
i bought a cheap Chinese 1.5L a few years back, i recently tried to clean my glasses in it and surprise when they came out without paint... but worked well for cleaning keycaps and other things with no paint on them. and dental cleaning tabs (no clue how those are actually called in english, sorry) do work well to make it even more aggressive.
Yes my friend Yui , they are called denture tabs . Lol

No they will not be equally effective . I found that $30 ultrasonic cleaner is good enough to remove factory lubricant on JWK switch. It should work out properly if you have one of these unless you have 1 kg of lubricant on your switches
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 10:05:32 »
The problem is you still need to remove the switches unless you have a large one.
In most cases that still means desoldering and even the small cleaners will cost as much as a set of modest switches.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 21:47:58 »
The problem is you still need to remove the switches unless you have a large one.
In most cases that still means desoldering and even the small cleaners will cost as much as a set of modest switches.

Any way you slice it, it will still be a laborious endeavor.