Author Topic: Carbon fiber keyboard base - Updated 9/4/15  (Read 173722 times)

Offline hoz

• 60% is more than enough.
Re: Carbon fiber kb base?
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 22:47:23 »
i havent read the whole thread so maybe someone mention this already, have you looked into bitumen mats for stiffening up the design?
Bitumen will work pretty well for dampening the case but they are also quite heavy.

i havent read the whole thread so maybe someone mention this already, have you looked into bitumen mats for stiffening up the design?

I've not even heard of bitumen mats, thanks for the heads up.

I think the design is sufficiently stiff. It's already at least as strong stock plastic case and I suspect quite a bit more (though I have no way to test this).

JaccoW is right, though. I'm trying to keep weight to a minimum.

mkay, yeah, my thought was more in the line of using strips along the sidewalls or across etc, using sheets to fill the bottom gets heavy fast :)
one 40% and seven 60%'s

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 11:47:23 »
OK, just a quick update on this.

I've decided that I will start making these to sell.  This will be on a small batch "artisan" type model where I work for a while making them and then post them for sale (as opposed to a GB model where people prepay).  I really don't want the stress and pressure of taking people's money and then being on a timetable to deliver.

I have some ideas that I think can turn out really amazing.  For now each one will be unique, focused on a different design paradigm, but all with be CF and some will have aramid (Kevlar or Spectra) fiber reinforcing. 

Production has already started and I plan to have a few (around 5ish) for initial sale by late July.  It will take a while since I have to make them in my spare time, can only do one at a time (I only have 1 mold), and each one is 3-4 layers + finishing, with curing in between.

Thanks for all of you who have expressed support and interest in here as well as privately.  I'm sooooo excited about where this is headed and I hope you guys will be delighted by what I produce.

Edit:  some have asked why I haven't done this sooner; I was waiting for Hwood to finish his Carbon Fiber sandwich-style case GB.  I think it is an awesome idea and didn't want to derail his thread.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2015, 11:56:32 by heedpantsnow »
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline E3E

Re: Carbon fiber keyboard base - Updated 6/12/15
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 00:09:02 »
Man, and I just hit up that group buy, too! IT NEVER ENDS!

Would it be faux pas to ask how much we'd be looking at per case? I'm guessing these will be pretty pricy considering the intensive labor of working with this stuff. I'm still definitely excited for the CF-LX case, but it's pretty awesome to see other innovative cases made out of CF coming around! You've done excellent work on so far and it was enjoyable seeing your progress (until the unfortunate end of your first case, that is).

Looking forward to seeing these, man. :) The uniqueness of each case as you say and the blending of other composites into the framework is really neat, and I might not have much of a choice but to buy into this when you set up shop.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 June 2015, 00:20:11 by E3E »

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 01:20:04 »
Will definitively be looking to buy one when you sell them, the open case style was what stopped me from getting a CF-LX and once I saw your thread I was hoping you'd start selling some. :thumb: :thumb:
[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #104 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 13:53:40 »
Man, and I just hit up that group buy, too! IT NEVER ENDS!

Would it be faux pas to ask how much we'd be looking at per case? I'm guessing these will be pretty pricy considering the intensive labor of working with this stuff. I'm still definitely excited for the CF-LX case, but it's pretty awesome to see other innovative cases made out of CF coming around! You've done excellent work on so far and it was enjoyable seeing your progress (until the unfortunate end of your first case, that is).

Looking forward to seeing these, man. :) The uniqueness of each case as you say and the blending of other composites into the framework is really neat, and I might not have much of a choice but to buy into this when you set up shop.

Man, thank you so much for the interest and encouragement.  I'm sorry to offer yet another thing to buy, but I really wanted to honor Hwood's initiative and passion.  It's part of what makes this community as amazing as it is.   :thumb:

I don't know yet how much these will cost; I'd like to get an accurate fix on exactly how much hands-on time each one takes, and I'm making some improvements in the process that will lessen the need/complexity/length of finishing.  I do know that they will be substantially more than Hwood's case.  My materials cost as much as his finished product does.  So maybe it's good that you didn't wait on this one.  :))

Will definitively be looking to buy one when you sell them, the open case style was what stopped me from getting a CF-LX and once I saw your thread I was hoping you'd start selling some. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks, dude.  Like I said I'm really excited about some of the ideas I have; if I can pull them off then I think these will be highly functional while at the same time being aesthetically gorgeous.
I'm back.

Offline E3E

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 14:49:51 »

Man, thank you so much for the interest and encouragement.  I'm sorry to offer yet another thing to buy, but I really wanted to honor Hwood's initiative and passion.  It's part of what makes this community as amazing as it is.   :thumb:

I don't know yet how much these will cost; I'd like to get an accurate fix on exactly how much hands-on time each one takes, and I'm making some improvements in the process that will lessen the need/complexity/length of finishing.  I do know that they will be substantially more than Hwood's case.  My materials cost as much as his finished product does.  So maybe it's good that you didn't wait on this one.  :))

Certainly. To be honest, as someone who does a lot of DIY and craft projects, there's an incredibly fulfilling feeling that comes from making something yourself. To extend that onto others as something you can offer is pretty amazing. You're telling me though! Hwood's cases were really fairly priced--I bought two of them! If this isn't too much more than a TEX milled case, or heck, even double that, I think I can deal with the costs, plus, with the extra case, I could try and fit the top plate into your case, which would just be an awesome way of marrying hwood's/Joey Quinn's concept with yours, haha. Carbon fiber everything! I can't pass that idea up. Crossing my fingers that these don't end up being like $500 + hahahaha.

Sheesh, it's true that this hobby can be addictive with all the great things being offered out there.  :-\  I'm pretty new here, but I'm DEFINITELY feeling it.

Thanks, dude.  Like I said I'm really excited about some of the ideas I have; if I can pull them off then I think these will be highly functional while at the same time being aesthetically gorgeous.

I think we're all looking forward to seeing what you come up with, man!
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 June 2015, 15:58:34 by E3E »

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 10:39:24 »
Maybe I'm reading too quickly, but I don't get what's wrong. The screwed up parts are not going to be visible, and it's not as if keyboard becomes ultraflammable or something thanks to a poor job, so heedpantsnow can just continue using his keyboard base can't he?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline E3E

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 18:59:22 »
I think it might just be more so the disappointment of having all that work end up below his expectations. As an artist and someone who works with giving ambitious projects a shot, I'm used to things not being as perfect my vision, myself, at least not on the first attempt. Some people demand perfection though. I believe a true "perfectionist" is never happy when it comes down to it.

It seems fine functionally despite being "overcooked"! There's not really much to a case as it is, so it doesn't seem like it harmed anything structurally.

Still, I'd imagine it's disappointing when an accident like that happens, but it's not a total wreck at all.

Maybe I'm reading too quickly, but I don't get what's wrong. The screwed up parts are not going to be visible, and it's not as if keyboard becomes ultraflammable or something thanks to a poor job, so heedpantsnow can just continue using his keyboard base can't he?
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 June 2015, 19:02:15 by E3E »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 06:42:06 »

Well the whole outside of the board has bubbles from the heat and the part is probably impaired structurally somewhat.

It was fun but I learned too much to not do it again better!
I'm back.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 06:42:30 »

I think it might just be more so the disappointment of having all that work end up below his expectations. As an artist and someone who works with giving ambitious projects a shot, I'm used to things not being as perfect my vision, myself, at least not on the first attempt. Some people demand perfection though. I believe a true "perfectionist" is never happy when it comes down to it.

It seems fine functionally despite being "overcooked"! There's not really much to a case as it is, so it doesn't seem like it harmed anything structurally.

Still, I'd imagine it's disappointing when an accident like that happens, but it's not a total wreck at all.

Yes, basically this.
I'm back.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 06:45:56 »
So I didn't mention this earlier but it is really important to keep everything WARM when lacquer coating. Both the part and the lacquer need to be above about 70F. Most of the time this isn't a problem but I was doing all this in the winter. Yes it is Florida but it still gets down in the high 30's and 40's and the spraying had to be done outside.

So throughout the whole process I was keeping the lacquer can in a bowl of hot water and before each spraying I would put the part in the oven for 3-5 minutes to get it nice and warm.

And you might imagine this is where disaster struck. Each time I put the part in the oven I never set the temp... The part was only in there for the first 5 minutes of preheat so it was never really an issue.  Except one time.

I had just put the part in when my son came in, excited about his new level unlocked in Mario Kart 8. I figured, "I have 5 minutes, no problem."  30 minutes later, while he was dominating me on our third race, I smelled smoke. Uh oh. It then hit me: my part was getting cooked at 350 degrees!

Here's the carnage. It's not pretty.
Show Image

So, yeah, the part was ruined because of a stupid mistake. All is not lost though.

I learned sooo much this time around. The next time will be better, smoother, and hopefully require less finishing.

And my part turned out amazingly light.

Here's the stock plastic case:
Show Image

Here's the titanium 60% plate:
Show Image

And here's my case:
Show Image

All in all I'm pleased with the result. I'm still going to try to sand off the burnt parts and see if I can salvage much of my case. But I've also got some cool ideas for the next iteration!

Thanks for reading!

I may just be confused but aren't carbon fiber items usually sanded and polished after production to remove imperfections like this. I might be underestimating the extent of the bubbling, but couldn't you sand the whole exterior down a bit to remove the imperfections while still leaving a decent layer of epoxy?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 07:31:16 »

So I didn't mention this earlier but it is really important to keep everything WARM when lacquer coating. Both the part and the lacquer need to be above about 70F. Most of the time this isn't a problem but I was doing all this in the winter. Yes it is Florida but it still gets down in the high 30's and 40's and the spraying had to be done outside.

So throughout the whole process I was keeping the lacquer can in a bowl of hot water and before each spraying I would put the part in the oven for 3-5 minutes to get it nice and warm.

And you might imagine this is where disaster struck. Each time I put the part in the oven I never set the temp... The part was only in there for the first 5 minutes of preheat so it was never really an issue.  Except one time.

I had just put the part in when my son came in, excited about his new level unlocked in Mario Kart 8. I figured, "I have 5 minutes, no problem."  30 minutes later, while he was dominating me on our third race, I smelled smoke. Uh oh. It then hit me: my part was getting cooked at 350 degrees!

Show Image

So, yeah, the part was ruined because of a stupid mistake. All is not lost though.

I learned sooo much this time around. The next time will be better, smoother, and hopefully require less finishing.

Show Image

Show Image

And here's my case:
Show Image

All in all I'm pleased with the result. I'm still going to try to sand off the burnt parts and see if I can salvage much of my case. But I've also got some cool ideas for the next iteration!

Thanks for reading!

I may just be confused but aren't carbon fiber items usually sanded and polished after production to remove imperfections like this. I might be underestimating the extent of the bubbling, but couldn't you sand the whole exterior down a bit to remove the imperfections while still leaving a decent layer of epoxy?
You are right about the normal manufacturing. But in this case the plastic is burnt and bubbled all the way down to the carbon. 
I'm back.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 08:21:22 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

And here's my case:
Show Image

Thanks for reading!

You are right about the normal manufacturing. But in this case the plastic is burnt and bubbled all the way down to the carbon. 

Bummer man. Still looks awesome though and the fact that you made it yourself makes it even cooler.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
Carbon fiber keyboard base - Updated 6/12/15
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 10:33:35 »
This isn't dead, not yet at least.

I went through a ton of revisions and methods in trying to come up with a base that is robust but with well-formed contours for supporting the PCB.  This was one thing I wasn't super satisfied about with the original prototype.  It had the ridges, but the kevlar didn't lay into them as well as I would like and so there were many gaps in the ridges with no contact with the PCB.  Lately I haven't liked the feel of cases that only provide standoffs for the screws, especially if using them without a plate.

Well I finally got a method I'm happy with.  I ended up making a partner mold for my existing mold to sandwich the initial kevlar layer to get the ridges formed perfectly.  Now that I have that, I can move forward (or at least until the next obstacle!).

The one on the left is the new method.  The one on the right is the only acceptable sample of my previous tries.  I inserted carbon fiber rod inside the support ridges to force the kevlar against the mold.  It worked okay, but is temperamental, hard to line up, and costs too much for not much benefit.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 10:40:15 by heedpantsnow »
I'm back.

Offline E3E

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 19:28:59 »
Ahh, very methodical process, HPS. I'm liking how you're going about tackling these obstacles and slowly working your way toward a perfected method for making these case. I'm definitely eager to see the final result. I'd love to have one of these!

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
Re: Carbon fiber keyboard base - Updated 9/4/15
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 11:16:38 »
Showing my continued support. Did you ever sell the prototypes?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
Carbon fiber keyboard base - Updated 9/4/15
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 12:06:28 »
Showing my continued support. Did you ever sell the prototypes?

Thank you sir, the prototypes are still being finished.  I have to "suit up" every time to work on them at this point and so progress is a bit slower.

Here was the first layer of short chopped carbon I put on them; this is to gradually level the base after I fill the ridges with foam (I've since done 2 more layers of this):

And here is after rough sanding the layers down level and smooth. This exposed a few more "pockets" where I need to fill in with some additional short chopped carbon:
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 October 2015, 12:14:14 by heedpantsnow »
I'm back.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 12:29:36 »
About the short chopped CF filler:
This is a relatively new development in the composites industry.  The marketing term is "forged composite", which is dumb because it's not forged.  It's basically molded composite.  Here's a decent article about how it's being used by Ferrari and Callaway.  I think it can be beautiful on its own, but it's also the perfect technique for leveling out the surface of the keyboard base before I apply the final layer of woven carbon fabric.  Basically I'm putting down several layers of the "forged carbon" and then sanding it back down level and smooth.

As you can see the sanding generates a lot of dust.  This dust is a mixture of cured epoxy and carbon fiber.  Basically the nastiest stuff from any phase of this somewhat nasty process.  Before each session of sanding I have to "suit up" as mentioned above:  I put on a full tyvek suit (with booties and hood), nitrile gloves taped to the suit at the wrists, respirator, and goggles.  After each session I have to get our vacuum cleaner and thoroughly vacuum the work surface, tools, floor, and any surfaces in the vicinity.  Then I vacuum myself.  Then I can unsuit.  Then I have to empty the vacuum cleaner, clean all the filters for it, and wipe down the insides so that there's no chance of this stuff blowing back out into our house while my wife or kids use the vacuum.

So basically I can only sand when I have a large chunk of time, which isn't often these days.

I'm sorry the progress is slow right now.
I'm back.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:15:30 »
About the short chopped CF filler:
This is a relatively new development in the composites industry.  The marketing term is "forged composite", which is dumb because it's not forged.  It's basically molded composite.  Here's a decent article about how it's being used by Ferrari and Callaway.  I think it can be beautiful on its own, but it's also the perfect technique for leveling out the surface of the keyboard base before I apply the final layer of woven carbon fabric.  Basically I'm putting down several layers of the "forged carbon" and then sanding it back down level and smooth.

As you can see the sanding generates a lot of dust.  This dust is a mixture of cured epoxy and carbon fiber.  Basically the nastiest stuff from any phase of this somewhat nasty process.  Before each session of sanding I have to "suit up" as mentioned above:  I put on a full tyvek suit (with booties and hood), nitrile gloves taped to the suit at the wrists, respirator, and goggles.  After each session I have to get our vacuum cleaner and thoroughly vacuum the work surface, tools, floor, and any surfaces in the vicinity.  Then I vacuum myself.  Then I can unsuit.  Then I have to empty the vacuum cleaner, clean all the filters for it, and wipe down the insides so that there's no chance of this stuff blowing back out into our house while my wife or kids use the vacuum.

So basically I can only sand when I have a large chunk of time, which isn't often these days.

I'm sorry the progress is slow right now.

Carbon fiber is the biggest pain in the ass. One of my classes last semester discussed carbon fiber recycling techniques and as you can imagine it is slow moving because of how nasty the stuff is.

Thanks for the progress updates! I really look forward to seeing where this goes.

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:18:36 »
Heedpantsnow, these boards will be amazing once they're completed! You're like a wizard or something. When I saw your prototypes I thought they were nice enough to sell, as is.
I can't wait to see how these are going to turn out  :thumb:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 13:44:53 »
Heedpantsnow, these boards will be amazing once they're completed! You're like a wizard or something. When I saw your prototypes I thought they were nice enough to sell, as is.

Thanks bro.  You're the only other GH'er whose seen them in person!

I hope you're well.  We need to grab coffee again sometime soon!

I'm back.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 13:35:16 »

Thanks bro.  You're the only other GH'er whose seen them in person!

I hope you're well.  We need to grab coffee again sometime soon!

I'm very well. Hope you are too.

We definitely need to hit up another coffee joint one of these days. Thanks to you, whenever I'm in the Waterford Lakes area I have to stop in at Vespr!
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 15:54:48 »
I can't believe I'm just seeing this now. Hows progress on it going?
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline E3E

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 19:45:36 »
ENCOURAGEMENT ENCOURAGEMENT ENCOURAGMENT! ;)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:36:43 »

Thanks guys for the interest and encouragement. I've been sidetracked by another project for the last month or so.  Found rust on the bottom of Silvia while doing brain surgery.  Had to rebuild her frame and rewire her. Soon she will be giving me god shots of espresso again!

I'll have a work log on that soon, and will pick up where I left off on the carbon fiber goods. I had to take care of Miss Silvia so I could have fuel for the CF!
I'm back.

Offline E3E

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 15:20:17 »

Thanks guys for the interest and encouragement. I've been sidetracked by another project for the last month or so.  Found rust on the bottom of Silvia while doing brain surgery.  Had to rebuild her frame and rewire her. Soon she will be giving me god shots of espresso again!

Show Image

I'll have a work log on that soon, and will pick up where I left off on the carbon fiber goods. I had to take care of Miss Silvia so I could have fuel for the CF!

I had no idea WHAT that thing was until you mentioned espressos. The instant thought that came to mind was a Nissan Silvia, since it looks like it would fit right in under the hood of a car #notamechanic

That's crazy though! Seems like time well spent nonetheless, good sir. Coffee is an important commodity!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 15:52:51 »

Show Image

If mine ever goes South, looks like I'll be taking it south to visit you!

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 16:07:20 »

Show Image

Woah that looks pretty wicked... how does it work?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 16:54:53 »

Here's a video of the Rancilio Silva, which is what he just took apart.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 10:20:21 »
Okay, Silvia side project completed. Will post a work log in a few days. This thing works like a dream.

I'm back.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 10:48:24 »
Okay, Silvia side project completed. Will post a work log in a few days. This thing works like a dream.

Show Image

heedpantsnow -- you have my full attention. We have an older model here at the office and I'd LOVE to see what you did!

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 11:10:51 »

Show Image

It looks beautiful!!! Can I come over and makes some drinks haha

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 11:39:50 »

Show Image

Of course, but I think you need to focus on exams now, right?  :thumb:

Show Image

heedpantsnow -- you have my full attention. We have an older model here at the office and I'd LOVE to see what you did!

Ok I will have the work log up in a few days and I will ping you when it posts.  Man I wish I worked somewhere that had a machine like this in the office!
I'm back.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 12 December 2015, 12:32:44 »

Show Image

Of course, but I think you need to focus on exams now, right?  :thumb:

well yesssssss but coffee helps with that

Offline smarmar

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:16:25 »

[/quote]

Ok I will have the work log up in a few days and I will ping you when it posts.  Man I wish I worked somewhere that had a machine like this in the office!

[/quote]

Yeah, me too.  :(
120389-0
*BARF*

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:38:25 »
we have one at my office. they are not as great as you might think.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 17:49:33 »

we have one at my office. they are not as great as you might think.

The Keurig?  I have to admit I own one. The coffee isn't great but when my wife wants one cup in the middle of the day it's good for her.
I'm back.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #137 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 08:53:50 »

Show Image

I had no idea WHAT that thing was until you mentioned espressos. The instant thought that came to mind was a Nissan Silvia, since it looks like it would fit right in under the hood of a car #notamechanic

That's crazy though! Seems like time well spent nonetheless, good sir. Coffee is an important commodity!

Show Image

If mine ever goes South, looks like I'll be taking it south to visit you!

Show Image

Here's the thread for the espresso machine worklog; I'll be doing another post later today. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0
I'm back.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 05:54:59 »
Prototype VI
I'm back.

Offline E3E

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 07:50:23 »
Prototype VI
Show Image

Praise all that is delicious. :D

Glad to see you back, man!

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 10:06:06 »
Prototype VI
Show Image

Looking forward to seeing results.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 12:38:49 »
Yeeeeee looks good :D

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 12:38:14 »
Yeeeeee looks good :D

Prototype VI
Show Image

Praise all that is delicious. :D

Glad to see you back, man!

Prototype VI
Show Image

Looking forward to seeing results.

Thank you guys for the encouragement and enthusiasm. 

I decided to put aside the other two prototypes (#'s 4 & 5) as they were proving to be too much work.  In an effort to simplify my production, I'm decided to not apply the foam inside the internal stiffeners.  It was a mess and I had to buy an entire new can of foam for each application.  Then, when I went to put on the stiffening layer, the vacuum would depress the foam and cause the base to be very rough.  The picture above is of the strengthening layer.  It's 12k plain weave carbon fiber.  A beast.  Soaks up resin like a sponge.  Just one layer is very very strong.  I'll upload a picture of the corner so you can see how stiff it is.

I'm try to finish up this prototype so I can field test it on my upcoming trip...I leave on Saturday for 2 weeks in the amazon jungle for work.

I've hit a little snag though.  This prototype I was making specifically to use with my GON bluetooth board, which stopped working this morning.  Please head over to that thread to help if you can:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84685.0
I'm back.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 19:15:28 »
Here's a quick pic of the corner. You can see the stiffness a bit more here.
I'm back.