Author Topic: [IC] Granite Round 2  (Read 247388 times)

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: [IC] Granite Round 2
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 14:42:52 »
These changes would raise the price and decrease the chances to reach the MOQ :(
I can live without orange, but I would be really sad not to get the RGB just because it was too expesive due to the orange/yellow.
Just check on PMK which were the prices for the sets in R1 and you will see what I mean.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #351 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 15:25:58 »
So will there not be any Modifier coloured spice bars anymore. Thought those would look really nice, but I could see myself being the only one.

you can buy blank GDE sets on PMK, they come with the PBT spacebar.
It's how I got mine for r1.

edit: the orange and yellow don't look good. I have them from r1. you don't want them.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #352 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 15:28:12 »
So will there not be any Modifier coloured spice bars anymore. Thought those would look really nice, but I could see myself being the only one.

Oh, didn't know that, thanks. :thumb:

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #353 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 15:38:40 »

Oh, didn't know that, thanks. :thumb:

np, I also love the spacebar to be modifier color when the function row is alternating.
if the function row is mod color the mod spacebar looks funny, like a weird box of color around your alphas.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #354 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 16:58:18 »
as far as we do not jeopardize the main kits I'm positive on adding more keys. Eg: no "red enter" kit because it would split the sales between blue and red. I'm not adding red enter to the esc+enter kit either because 2.25 keys are expensive and I want to keep that kit low priced. Hope you understand.

Offline Pep

« Reply #355 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 17:12:49 »
I'm probably too late, but a Programmer's Dvorak Kit would be cool!  I've wanted to learn it for a while now, and some legends would be really handy.

http://www.kaufmann.no/roland/dvorak/

Would need 13 keys on number row, and the @^ key, I think. 

Either way I'm super excited for this, so thanks!

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #356 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 18:06:26 »
I'll probably be running a kit splitting service in R2 for people who just need a key or two from a kit.
I won't be taking any profits, but you might not save that much depending on what the sets end up costing and shipping.
It is however something I would like to do, and I will be reviewing it's viability when sales commence.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #357 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 20:20:08 »
The splitting service is a nice idea, but I wonder if SP itself may offer that service for a flat fee per key size. In that way S&H cost may be optimized. Well, in case the set were ran with SP.

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #358 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 20:38:35 »
The splitting service is a nice idea, but I wonder if SP itself may offer that service for a flat fee per key size. In that way S&H cost may be optimized. Well, in case the set were ran with SP.

It would be wonderful if they did, but in my experience they won't.
It would mean having to produce X amount of individual caps, and especially with the legends on this set being sublimated, they would have to order that many from the company providing their paper.
Also I'm fairly certain the set is being run through MD.
If Matt could get in touch with SP about requesting one offs, that would be awesome.
I fear their response would be similar to my guess though.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #359 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 23:58:38 »
That gamer set really needs something unique for it to stand out. Some unique set of singles keys will definately trigger sales and not generic keys which users can buy from another vendor. Is there something you can add that is leaning toward cute for female users. For example some user added cats to the gamer set which i thought was cute and an attention grabber for me.

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #360 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 00:07:44 »
That gamer set really needs something unique for it to stand out. Some unique set of singles keys will definately trigger sales and not generic keys which users can buy from another vendor. Is there something you can add that is leaning toward cute for female users. For example some user added cats to the gamer set which i thought was cute and an attention grabber for me.

Those were novelty keys from round 1 which Matt does not want to redo.
I'll concede the Umbrella Corp logo should maybe be the cats again. >.>

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #361 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 00:28:53 »
Different Space Inviders (and maybe PacMan with friends) in different colours is nice addition to gamers kit I think.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #362 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 00:34:05 »

Those were novelty keys from round 1 which Matt does not want to redo.
I'll concede the Umbrella Corp logo should maybe be the cats again. >.>
Ah I see well that's a shame.
I read the whole thread and saw a few users requesting the cats I bet that was very popular. I'm pretty sure if that's included it would trigger some people to buy the keys.
Personally I would buy the set if it included the cats its just so cute.
A lot of the single keys are turn offs and most of them can be acquired through a different vendor. The only nice one is the space invader this needs more cute to make this great.  :-*
We should petition the cats   :p
I just got my poker 2 being my second mechanical so Im glad I stumbled across this thread.
I plan on buying this set and the hyper fuse if it ever comes up again.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 August 2014, 00:35:46 by appleonama »

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #363 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 00:43:35 »
Different Space Inviders (and maybe PacMan with friends) in different colours is nice addition to gamers kit I think.
(Attachment Link)
Yes this would fit well and it seems to suit the theme more.
The issue with the singles that are included in the kit don't seem to sit well. They throw of the style of the kit for example the half life key, umbrella, and & keys are just ugly :p
This is just opinion.

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #364 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 01:45:55 »
(Attachment Link)
The issue with the singles that are included in the kit don't seem to sit well. They throw of the style of the kit for example the half life key, umbrella, and & keys are just ugly :p
This is just opinion.
Yes, agree with you. Aesthetic is most valuable in keycaps. And I think icons like invaders and pacman has more meaning not only for gamers than umbrella and & (I don't know what about this signs, and they are ugly imho)  and has more aesthetically and classical look. I want buy space invader but it's too expensive to buy all kit only for 1 cap.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #365 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 01:55:16 »
(Attachment Link)
This is just opinion.
Yes, agree with you. Aesthetic is most valuable in keycaps. And I think icons like invaders and pacman has more meaning not only for gamers than umbrella and & (I don't know what about this signs, and they are ugly imho)  and has more aesthetically and classical look. I want buy space invader but it's too expensive to buy all kit only for 1 cap.
Yes exactly if the kit were to provided more aesthetically pleasing keys it would definitely trigger more sales as for now im not willing to purchase the gamer set.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #366 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 02:55:11 »
I do not understand this attitude. What does "visual appealing" even mean? I like all the novelty keys, for me they are visual appealing. The D&D key I believe has never been made before, I've never seen the portal or half life keys on DSA (I might be wrong). The heart is one of the best keys of round 1, together with Space Invaders.

Let's say that you don't like any (or some of them), you guys understand that it's impossible to like equally all novelty keys right? The cat-key was exclusive of Round 1, that's a present I do to first-rounders. Sorry you didn't get it. If you have other ideas for fancy novelties I'm more than happy to add or change some caps. I'm not adding other SI keys because we risk to slip on copyright infringement. We are lucky that I've been able to sneak one.

Offline pasph

« Reply #367 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:10:00 »
Lately around GH i've seen some icons REALLY ugly and drawn coarsely, umbrella and & may not fit your taste but are well designed.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Keyzus

« Reply #368 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:38:46 »
I disagree that all the novelty keys are ugly.

The Heart and Space Invader keys are pretty awesome.

The others just aren't my style, but I can see they're designed well.

Except for the  &  logo. I just don't get that one.  What does it stand for?  Is this a key a lot of people are asking for?

As for keys that I'd like to see included and haven't seen mentioned yet,

How about a Marijuana Leaf key!

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #369 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:44:56 »
as far as we do not jeopardize the main kits I'm positive on adding more keys. Eg: no "red enter" kit because it would split the sales between blue and red. I'm not adding red enter to the esc+enter kit either because 2.25 keys are expensive and I want to keep that kit low priced. Hope you understand.

Are yellow and orange mods as an extra kit an option? This would not influence other kits in any way and I'm sure that there are quiet some people arround who would like that. Adding icon mods to the potential set would even increase interest I think.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #370 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:45:10 »
The & is the logo of Dungeons and Dragons :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:53:22 by DanielT »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #371 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:50:15 »

Are yellow and orange mods as an extra kit an option? This would not influence other kits in any way and I'm sure that there are quiet some people arround who would like that. Adding icon mods to the potential set would even increase interest I think.

yeah, we might do that

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #372 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 03:59:49 »
Thanks for considering, man!

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #373 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 04:34:17 »
Just for the record I love the novelty keys.
I've just been fighting to get them separate so I can buy 12 kits. :P
Love the set Matt.
Will be buying as much R2 as I did R1.

Offline myrddin

« Reply #374 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 04:41:00 »
Any reason the gamer pack includes novelty keys rather than just the wasd?

Seems like they would fit in the nerdom pack pretty logically, and if you are just wanting all the novelty key options, that is kinda painful :(

The cube and the hl logo are some of the best novelty keys in the set!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 August 2014, 04:45:41 by myrddin »

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #375 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 04:56:49 »
Any reason the gamer pack includes novelty keys rather than just the wasd?

Seems like they would fit in the nerdom pack pretty logically, and if you are just wanting all the novelty key options, that is kinda painful :(

The cube and the hl logo are some of the best novelty keys in the set!

I think gamer and novelty set got merged aka no seperate novelty set anymore.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #376 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 05:13:45 »
gamer and nerdom have been merged to reduce the overall number of kits.

Offline Keyzus

« Reply #377 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 05:32:43 »
Hey Matt3o, what do you think of this change to the Mono Legend Kit?

It adds a few keys in the GDE color and gives the option to have Medium Grey covering each side and the 4 middle keys in the number row for that Light, Dark, Light look.

75012-0

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #378 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 06:04:24 »
Hey Matt3o, what do you think of this change to the Mono Legend Kit?
It adds a few keys in the GDE color and gives the option to have Medium Grey covering each side and the 4 middle keys in the number row for that Light, Dark, Light look.

First wild suggestion of theirs I think is actually noteworthy.
would let you mock a function row on 60% or other keyboards with only 5 rows

edit: also that gde back-slash/pipe would be killer if nothing else, I used a blank on my TKL to match my mono legends better.

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #379 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 06:09:32 »
What about someone from pac man and cherry in 8 bit style (like SI and heart)?

Offline Data

« Reply #380 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:44:08 »
some updates

Show Image

The novelty keys are great.  I wouldn't mind more of them but I understand why that maybe isn't the best idea.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #381 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:48:58 »
yes.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Keyzus

« Reply #382 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:50:47 »
I've got a solution to your Kitty Key conundrum.

You can give the people what they're asking for,

and the Kitty from Round 1 would remain exclusive.

A color variant!

Make a Kitty Key on the GDE background!

Companies who make limited edition collectable products do it all the time. (e.g. Mondo Posters)

Here's what I'm talking about;

Round 1      /     Round 2

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:58:38 by Keyzus »

Offline Data

« Reply #383 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 07:56:32 »
It seemed pretty clear to me that he wasn't doing a cat novelty cap for this round.

Offline drrtyrokka

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 08:23:55 »
The cat novelty key was specially designed for his wife. I don't think he wants to run it again at all...

Offline Pep

« Reply #385 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 08:45:22 »
Is there a possibility of a windowed capslock?  Or does that not work with DSA?  I've never used DSA before, but am looking forward to it!

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #386 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 08:48:14 »
If I remember correctly in R1 there were windowed caps, it works for sure also on DSA, this is not an issue.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #387 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 08:49:53 »
Is there a possibility of a windowed capslock?  Or does that not work with DSA?  I've never used DSA before, but am looking forward to it!
It works. They were in R1 and in the DSA Dolch set.

Offline Keyzus

« Reply #388 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 09:51:25 »
Here's my revised Enter+Esc Kit.  Matt3o said the last one would be too expensive.

So now it's 4 keys but with a mix of colors.

Offline mer

• Purple Ghost Software, Inc.
« Reply #389 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 10:26:07 »
One last attempt: Any chance of adding in the caret control keys?
WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens
Profile pic is "Geek Hack" in Gallifreyan

Offline Keyzus

« Reply #390 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 10:34:33 »
How does everyone feel about this being the gamer kit?

Offline jessa

« Reply #391 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 10:41:40 »
Here's my revised Enter+Esc Kit.  Matt3o said the last one would be too expensive.

So now it's 4 keys but with a mix of colors.

(Attachment Link)

As nice as it might be to have the extra colours, I think it's more important to have the icon versions as well. Perhaps there could be another kit for the icon versions but that might be a bit much and both might not reach MOQ.

Matt3o's red ESC+blue enter pack with text+icon still has my vote.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #392 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:00:19 »

we had windowed keys on R1 and basically nobody took them, so we are skipping them this time.

Offline pasph

« Reply #393 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:15:11 »
I think it's time for this to go live
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #394 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:29:28 »

quote request has been sent. as soon as we get pricing we go live.

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #395 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:44:33 »
Quote from: pasph link=topic=61612.msg1441696#msg1441696 date=140 4911

quote request has been sent. as soon as we get pricing we go live.
Good news  :) Is it possible GB will be available before holidays?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #396 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:48:06 »
holidays? which holidays?!

Offline Vitaly

« Reply #397 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 11:57:54 »
Sorry, before weekend, every weekend for me like holiday    :p

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #398 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 12:26:54 »
Sorry, before weekend, every weekend for me like holiday    :p

hopefully, yes.

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #399 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 12:32:08 »
Are there any recent updates to the sets since the last time you've shown us?