Author Topic: [IC] Naja75 (Screwless, Semi-Seamless, Sexy Sides and Back) (IC Form Added)  (Read 24896 times)

Offline anonymous

Naja
"a genus of venomous elapid snakes known as cobras ("true cobras")"

Hello everyone! I would like to share with you the 75% keyboard that I designed. As the title says, the screws connecting the top and bottom case is hidden under the keycaps (similar with the Vega65). The curve on the bottom case is simple yet it accentuates both the side and back part of the case. The shape of the back and bottom of the case gives me Cobra vibes, hence the name that I chose.

I am not sure if you can still call this a seamless design since the top case doesn't fully cover the bottom case that is why I called it semi-seamless.

Due to the nature of the mounting, the layout bottom row will be fixed. I will test the design using a hotswap pcb. After confirming that everything is working together. I will also create a solder pcb with split backspace, stepped caps lock and ISO support.

Details:
 - Material: Anodized Aluminum Case
 - Case Color Options: E-White (Other colors TBD depending on interest)
 - Plate Options: FR4 Default (Other add-on plate materials TBD depending on interest)
 - Mounting Method: Top Mount
 - PCB Details: USB-C, Hotswap or Solder, No RGB Underglow, Compatible with VIA/QMK
 - Center mount usb port with daughterboard

Pricing:
Rough estimate on price is around 389$ for a kit with a hotswap pcb. I will have a more accurate pricing once I finalize where I will source the pcbs.

I already ordered a prototype in E-White and I will receive it by the end of May.

Interest Check Form (Different from the initial Feedback form): https://forms.gle/LUJ3QVxz36yrtmXy9
Discord Server: https://discord.gg/uFUEEvr7y6

Additional renders:

« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 04:57:47 by anonymous »

Offline NightRye_

• keebs n' fluff
Re: [IC] Naja75 (Screwless, Semi-Seamless, Sexy Sides and Back)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 06:15:03 »
simple, minimalist and beautiful.

would love a black color and maybe a brass weight option?

Offline highpur

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 06:24:17 »
Keeping my eye on this IC, it has great potential.

Offline vi0till

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 06:26:19 »
Can we have hotswap layout with stepped capslock? Also +1 for gasket and please consider leaf spring plate?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline hello21

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 06:43:48 »
Oooh sexy side 75? Take my money.

Offline anonymous

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 06:53:01 »

Thanks!

Black will definitely be an option. I also love black! For the brass weight, internal or an external one?

Can we have hotswap layout with stepped capslock? Also +1 for gasket and please consider leaf spring plate?

I can include both regular and stepped caps lock support that is hotswap but it will be using millmax sockets instead so soldering will be required.

I am not that familiar with leaf spring plate and I am not sure if I can implement it properly but I'll try

Offline NightRye_

• keebs n' fluff
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 06:53:50 »

Thanks!

Black will definitely be an option. I also love black! For the brass weight, internal or an external one?

I can include both regular and stepped caps lock support that is hotswap but it will be using millmax sockets instead so soldering will be required.

I am not that familiar with leaf spring plate and I am not sure if I can implement it properly but I'll try
looking forward to a external one, but internal is also fine

Sent from my SM-M115F using Tapatalk

Offline WHAT!?

• WHAT!?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 07:43:08 »
Case looks great, and the board is hotswap.

You got me.

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 08:00:37 »
I love the curves on this, please consider a polycarbonate case option! Excited to see how this develops

Offline anonymous

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 08:07:28 »
I love the curves on this, please consider a polycarbonate case option! Excited to see how this develops

PC would never happen if with hidden screws design.. The case mounting tabs are so little. It will break easily if made with pc. If it's gonna be made in PC, it will be in the traditional case mounting with screws going from the bottom case to top case.

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 08:21:45 »

PC would never happen if with hidden screws design.. The case mounting tabs are so little. It will break easily if made with pc. If it's gonna be made in PC, it will be in the traditional case mounting with screws going from the bottom case to top case.

Would it be possible to use metal threads for the hidden screws? Understandable if that's not viable though, and I'm still very much interested in an alu case

Offline Rx003

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 08:26:33 »
Okay so a nice curve that meets in the middle, usb placement is on point (as I prefer middle ones) and is also hotswap so far checks what I need I wouldnt mind a classic top mount as well. Looking out for this IC best of luck!

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 12:59:58 »
Very interested as well. Hotswap also sounds quite appealing as I was just recently looking into acquiring higher end-ish TKL/75% board to test switches on rather than the one I have now.

Offline Livid

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 15:22:04 »
my vote is for gasket mount! are you planning more colors other than black & white? also, maybe in the future, i think this case design would look AMAZING as a 60 or 65

Offline YoungTerror

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 16:20:00 »
This is hella sexy. +1 on a brass weight, I bet it would look good depending on the design but understand not implementing it due to cost

Offline DireRaven247

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 19:48:44 »
I like the design this board! Hopefully Fr4 or carbon fiber can be offered as plate options. I personally wouldn’t mind gasket mount but top mount is also nice. Excited to see how this board develops

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 12:47:21 »
I think you should stick with no weight, the curves are really nice on their own and don't need another accent. Looking forward to see this go into the proto stage.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline anonymous

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 23:38:06 »
I think you should stick with no weight, the curves are really nice on their own and don't need another accent. Looking forward to see this go into the proto stage.

This is what I think so too. If there will be a weight, it'll most likely be an internal one. Hopefully I will have a proto by April. I am currently finalizing the mounting and the internals.

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 00:20:20 »
If weight means more... weight then I'd rather not have one. I've tried to use a keyboard of acquaintance which was pushing about 3kg, it was quite unusable for me as I often move keyboard around the desk and moving 3kg slab is quite a chore.

Offline endl

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 02:15:29 »
Rgb? Backlighting?

Offline vi0till

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 02:24:33 »
I like heft keyboard. +1 for internal weight.

Offline Owl

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 14:34:47 »
I like it except the exploded arrow keys.

Offline 01fade

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 11:45:14 »
This curves look so nice!
Gasket mount could be a bonus. Hotswap with normal capslock (probably will use it at control though) sounds great, too.

I am watching this IC. Hope it goes well!

Offline Frogs.

• pixel artist from the south east asia
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 03:17:26 »
less GOOO
🐸

Offline L4ll1g470r

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 09:00:16 »

Bottom weights work beautifully with these types, see Fjell and e7v2.

That said, very interested in one, if there’s iso support. 2 if the colors work out and there’s iso hotswap 😁

Offline Finite

• peer pressured into mk hobby, pls send help
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 22:01:08 »
Never before have I seen a more beautiful case... I don't even think I want a 75% board, but this is too beautiful to pass up on. Not to mention that name! I absolutely love snakes and love cobras the most, so this is a must have for me!

Offline LaserCrafter

• reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 02:58:33 »
this makes me have a fever. sold
Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 04:40:21 »
Give me iso and a knob on the corner! PLEASE

Offline anonymous

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 08:48:27 »

I have no plans on adding a knob. The board looks clean and I want to keep it that way. ISO is a big possibility.

Offline anonymous

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 08:49:54 »
Prototype ordered!

It'll be E-White with FR4 plate. I decided to proceed with the no brass weight option.

Offline vi0till

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 09:00:02 »
Do you consider to have brass / SS bottom as an option?

Prototype ordered!

It'll be E-White with FR4 plate. I decided to proceed with the no brass weight option.

Offline anonymous

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 09:09:14 »
Do you consider to have brass / SS bottom as an option?

Prototype ordered!

I'm open to the idea. But I think that would cost a lot. If some people are willing to pay the price then I'll try to make it happen.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 10:03:26 »

I have no plans on adding a knob. The board looks clean and I want to keep it that way. ISO is a big possibility.

If it has ISO i will be a client most likely, knob would be a plus for me :)

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 10:17:42 »
Prototype ordered!

What's the timeline for that? Any plans to make a build stream also?

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 22:57:48 »
Lots of curves on this board. Interesting Design. Will keep my eyes on this IC. Goooood Luck with yo' IC!

Offline anonymous

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 00:55:15 »
Prototype ordered!

What's the timeline for that? Any plans to make a build stream also?

Manufacturing should take 1 month at most. I don't have the resources to do a build stream. If ever, I would ask someone to do it for me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 April 2021, 01:06:15 by anonymous »

Offline Finite

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 22:02:44 »

I definitely agree on no knob, but I feel the board can look more clean without the F13 and instead by having a logo take up that area. Not sure what you'd use for it, whether it be a cobra or something else, but I think it might end up looking even better. Of course, this is up to you and I think it looks absolutely amazing as is, but just something you can think of for keeping the aesthetic as clean as possible.

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 05:18:45 »

I definitely agree on no knob, but I feel the board can look more clean without the F13 and instead by having a logo take up that area. Not sure what you'd use for it, whether it be a cobra or something else, but I think it might end up looking even better. Of course, this is up to you and I think it looks absolutely amazing as is, but just something you can think of for keeping the aesthetic as clean as possible.
Adding logo there would make it basically 7V...

Offline AlfredK

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 09:38:44 »
This looks very nice and well done! Love the side and bottom  :thumb:

Offline anonymous

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 06:05:46 »

If I can think of something good to put there then I can consider it. For now, I prefer the current look of it.

Offline anonymous

I added an IC form on the OP. If you are interestd in this kit, kindly fill up the form and vote on color options, plate add-on options and the please comment on the newly added back logo. Thanks!

PS: Manu said that the CNC machining is already done! (I just placed an order a few days ago. So fast! :p). I will wait for some photos on Monday to confirm.

Offline endl

Will there be led support at all, if yes can I request millmax support like on the ymdk 75 board

Offline AhmadHamid

I really love then clean and minimal design. If possible I would much prefer it without any logo (either front or back)

Will there be ISO support? :D

Offline bastijn

I like the shape from behind/back but somehow something in the front render makes it look 'off' to me. Maybe due to the very minimal caps, hard contrast and material of the case in the render. Feels like I'm watching a pc/plastic board iso alu.
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers." -- Richard Hamming

Offline Butterbeer

Nice choice in layout! For me, this is the layout I prefer when working on a 75% board.

• Although rotary knobs look nice, having the delete key in the top right is a boon.
  • 15 keys in the top row. No more no less.
  • Full 4 key column on the right.
  • Separated arrows.
  • Bottom row with the 1.25 windows key on one side and pair of 1.5 keys on the other.

All great choices in terms of practical use and not just aesthetics  :thumb:

Offline garald

love the layout and the overall aesthetics of the case!

however, not a huge fan of the back logo as I don't think it matches well with the clean look of the rest of the board

Offline anonymous

love the layout and the overall aesthetics of the case!

however, not a huge fan of the back logo as I don't think it matches well with the clean look of the rest of the board

The prototype won't have the engraving. It was just an idea but I do not have strong feelings about adding that engraving. I also prefer the cleaner look without the logo.

Offline keguira

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 12:46:20 »
That said, very interested in one, if there’s iso support. 2 if the colors work out and there’s iso hotswap 😁

HotSwap ISO would be amazing and i would give you a "fry meme" the first minute it's online

Offline Finite

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 14:29:02 »

Adding logo there would make it basically 7V...
No? 7V has the logo in the utmost right corner, this would have a logo between the F12 key and the right cluster of keys. Not to mention that the overall shape of this keyboard is totally different and it's unfair to judge based solely off of the front face of the keyboard since then you might as well call all TKLs copies of each other.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Is the E-White proto expected to look like the render? Because that is smooth :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!