Author Topic: Am I new to geekhack? Yes. Am I new to keyboard enthusiasm? Yes and yes.  (Read 2154 times)

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• Location: I live in the isolated, deserted, bare land of Mars...I'm the only one here. I need help immediately.
    • My Tumblr
Just wanted to say hi to the fellow geeks of geekhack. I've been a lurker but I never really made an account till now. Just so you guys know, my name is Angel but you can call me Angelic, Wolf, TheAngelic, TheWolf, Ange, and the list is almost infinite ;D I've never really used a mechanical keyboard before, but I'm hoping I can try and coax my parents to help me out (I'm still too young to drive) Maybe hanging around will introduce me to the fine art of keyboard collecting. Also a little tidbit, I'm a girl. Sooooo yeah.
I thought signatures belonged on paper?

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Am I new to geekhack? Yes. Am I new to keyboard enthusiasm? Yes and yes.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:04:58 »
Welcome to the site.  There's a lot of good information here if you just look around and read.  Good luck on convincing your parents.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:06:51 »
Wolfy? Gelly? Gelly Wolf?

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• Location: I live in the isolated, deserted, bare land of Mars...I'm the only one here. I need help immediately.
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:12:27 »
Welcome to the site.  There's a lot of good information here if you just look around and read.  Good luck on convincing your parents.
Thanks for the really quick reply, I'll look around the site for some info. And thanks, I'll try my best to.

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:15:36 »
Wolfy? Gelly? Gelly Wolf?
I honestly never thought of those :p I wouldn't mind you using those  :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:39:40 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It might be best to start off small - get a nice keyboard that you like, not necessarily one of the exotic ones.  Then later on a set of replacement keycaps.  Maybe an artisan keycap or two along the way.  Spread the cost out for your parents ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:19:23 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It might be best to start off small - get a nice keyboard that you like, not necessarily one of the exotic ones.  Then later on a set of replacement keycaps.  Maybe an artisan keycap or two along the way.  Spread the cost out for your parents ;)
Would a Cooler Master Quick Fire Ultimate work out nicely? I remember determining brown switches for myself because I prefer tactile feedback over the clickiness and clackiness of blues. I was also considering getting a nice deal on the Model M from eBay because I love vintage  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:37:37 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Would a Cooler Master Quick Fire Ultimate work out nicely? I remember determining brown switches for myself because I prefer tactile feedback over the clickiness and clackiness of blues. I was also considering getting a nice deal on the Model M from eBay because I love vintage  :p

Ultimate ... hmmm.  Do you prefer full-sized boards?  Or TKL (tenkeykless - without the numpad)?

If you don't mind TKL, the QFR is an excellent buy.  Or a Ducky Shine if you want backlighting.  Or the KUL - the latest entry to the good but inexpensive TKL lineup.

Model M is louder than MX blues :p

Blues do have a higher pitched click though, compared to the solid clack of the Model M (I have both!).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:44:46 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Ultimate ... hmmm.  Do you prefer full-sized boards?  Or TKL (tenkeykless - without the numpad)?

If you don't mind TKL, the QFR is an excellent buy.  Or a Ducky Shine if you want backlighting.  Or the KUL - the latest entry to the good but inexpensive TKL lineup.

Model M is louder than MX blues :p

Blues do have a higher pitched click though, compared to the solid clack of the Model M (I have both!).
Well I have no need for a shorter keyboard because I have quite a bit of desk space but it would be nice because I very rarely need to use the numpad (I'm a FPS gamer) I don't understand what the "KUL" is...or the "QFR" so I would appreciate it if you could explain  :) I remember a while back I tried out a Model M Simulator and well the sound was pleasing: http://webwit.nl/input/kbsim/ It was pretty nice. You're pretty lucky for having that Model M though  :rolleyes:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:49:48 »
KUL keyboard from EliteKeyboards: http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=keyed_up_labs,tenkeyless&pid=es87u_cg_bbb_al

QFR is CM Quickfire Rapid, although I'm not sure where you'd get one these days as it is being overshadowed by QFR-i and Novatouch (newer keyboards by CoolerMaster).

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 22:54:36 »
KUL keyboard from EliteKeyboards: http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=keyed_up_labs,tenkeyless&pid=es87u_cg_bbb_al

QFR is CM Quickfire Rapid, although I'm not sure where you'd get one these days as it is being overshadowed by QFR-i and Novatouch (newer keyboards by CoolerMaster).
That KUL keyboard looks really cool :cool: It looks like those notches on the back are for typing rate? Looks nice though :D If I'm going with Cooler Master, I'm sticking with full size keyboards (all the TKLs don't look attractive to me)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:08:34 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

With the KUL keyboard, the grooves on the back are for routing the cable -- it can exit the back of the case in one of three locations. The smaller switches are for making modifications to the board's layout.

Brown switches are where a lot of people start (including myself). I definitely would have been happy starting with a Model M as well. A QuickFire Ultimate would be an okay first board, although if you're considering getting a set of replacement keycaps at any point, the bottom row of the Ultimate is somewhat harder to find keycaps for. You'd need to find a set with a tsangan kit in order to replace the ctrl, windows, alt keys, as well as the spacebar. It would be easier and cheaper to find a custom set of keycaps for the Storm Trigger or Quickfire XT keyboards, if they're available where you are.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline TheAngelicWolf

• My Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 23:14:47 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

With the KUL keyboard, the grooves on the back are for routing the cable -- it can exit the back of the case in one of three locations. The smaller switches are for making modifications to the board's layout.

Brown switches are where a lot of people start (including myself). I definitely would have been happy starting with a Model M as well. A QuickFire Ultimate would be an okay first board, although if you're considering getting a set of replacement keycaps at any point, the bottom row of the Ultimate is somewhat harder to find keycaps for. You'd need to find a set with a tsangan kit in order to replace the ctrl, windows, alt keys, as well as the spacebar. It would be easier and cheaper to find a custom set of keycaps for the Storm Trigger or Quickfire XT keyboards, if they're available where you are.
Well I can always order online, thanks for the info though :D I heard the same thing though for the Razer Blackwidow. Bottom row keycaps aren't easy to find either.