Author Topic: 8 months into sculpting keycaps!  (Read 3540 times)

Offline RandalFlagg

8 months into sculpting keycaps!
« on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 20:25:19 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2019, 19:31:02 by RandalFlagg »

Offline RandalFlagg

Re: Playing with Clay - First attempts at sculpting artisans.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 15:52:22 »
A couple new design I've been playing with--Elephant and Cthulhu
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2019, 19:31:14 by RandalFlagg »

Offline swangful

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 18:38:43 »
Really cool seeing these. I really like these ideas, with enough practice im sure they can be polished up really nicely. Your post inspired me to attempt to try something, I played with a little playdoh..failed miserably as expected! :D

Offline RandalFlagg

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 19:27:50 »
Thanks!  I tried playdoh to start with, but found that it was too soft for my liking. Look for some super sculpey to play with and you may just get hooked!

I've also picked up some rubber tools to help with smoothing...leaps and bounds better than the wooden ones I syltarted with.  Next step for me will be trying to get some smaller tools to work in the small crooks and crannies. 

The other hardest issue I've run into with little succes at fixing is holding the key itself.  I try and mount it on a switch, and hold the switch itself, but I've probably dropped each sculpt once an hour while fiddling haha.

A synthe would be the dream, but since I'm still way off from molding I'd rather not "waste" one.  I'll probably look into finding a claw or something to hold the switch, giving me two free hands.

If theres something obvious I'm overlooking with the latter issue feel free to add your advice!  I hate watching all the detail I put in get damaged too often.

Offline swangful

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 21:13:12 »
Thanks!  I tried playdoh to start with, but found that it was too soft for my liking. Look for some super sculpey to play with and you may just get hooked!

I've also picked up some rubber tools to help with smoothing...leaps and bounds better than the wooden ones I syltarted with.  Next step for me will be trying to get some smaller tools to work in the small crooks and crannies. 

The other hardest issue I've run into with little succes at fixing is holding the key itself.  I try and mount it on a switch, and hold the switch itself, but I've probably dropped each sculpt once an hour while fiddling haha.

A synthe would be the dream, but since I'm still way off from molding I'd rather not "waste" one.  I'll probably look into finding a claw or something to hold the switch, giving me two free hands.

If theres something obvious I'm overlooking with the latter issue feel free to add your advice!  I hate watching all the detail I put in get damaged too often.

I honestly have no idea how to make molds haha but I really like your elephant. It has a sense of...grandeur? It just looks like the leader of an elephant herd.

Offline RandalFlagg

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 23:20:31 »
Spider

I feel as If I'm still plateauing at this point, and I'm looking forward to finding some smaller tools to help with the smoothing/detail process.

Current sculpting tool is a bit on the large side. :/
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2017, 23:26:34 by RandalFlagg »

Offline RandalFlagg

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 23:32:14 »
eScapeGoat
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2019, 19:31:41 by RandalFlagg »

Offline RandalFlagg

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 21:28:46 »
http://imgur.com/a/YcC3b

Spider all detailed up in Apoxie-Sculpt.  All she needs now is a good sanding.

Linking to imgur album because of 14 pics.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 11:25:43 »
Digging the sculpts man, keep it up!

Offline RandalFlagg

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 22:51:39 »
Been awhile since I've updated here.  Sorry about that guys.  Since last post, I've discovered the awesomeness of apoxie sculpt.  Idea23 will be having a sale for the spider cap tomorrow on r/mm, and I will be venturing in to learning the processes of casting myself soon.  Rather than flood this post with pictures, here are a few links to the imgur albums with sculpting updates.

« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2019, 19:31:51 by RandalFlagg »