Author Topic: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - 100% Shipped - Cleaning up  (Read 305937 times)

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - Remanufacturing - 80% Complete
« Reply #450 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 00:30:45 »
Hey everyone, I am sorry for the lack of updates here on GH. I've been trying to update more often on the website since not everyone in the GB is on GH.

CK should have no received the PCBs and bent plates. I still need to send them hardware for it. That part of the delay is completely on me and I'm sorry about that. I plan to have it out to them next week.

As for the cases, the communication with the factory isn't great. I get about one reply a day and it's not comprehensive. They're doing work, but the lack of communication is slowing everything down. They should have finished anodizing things by now as its not in-house and shouldn't have a queue, but they have not. I am not sure why that is but I need to look into it. Same goes with the raw cases. The rep sent me a picture of the boards packaged up in a box last week but still hasn't gotten me a quote for shipping.

I'm getting through finals at school right now so I might not be the most responsive but I am trying to get as much done as possible though the communication between me and the factory is whats slowing things down the most.

Will update on the website as we go. If anyone has any serious concerns, please send me an email.

Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline Krazzios

« Reply #451 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 11:04:30 »
Another update, from Candykeys this time:
Dear GB Participants!

So finally after all this time we have managed to get through the orders one by one and figure out what is missing and not. So we are happy to report all orders should be fulfilled as expected, however: At the moment there is a shortage of Aluminium Cases *The 1 piece CNC cases* that were not delivered by Mill *The host* and he has mailed us and noted that there was a delay, hence we did not receive them. We are happy to report that all orders that have the Bent Plate Case are complete. (You should have been notified about this nearly a year ago that the IC case was not going to happen, asking for a switch to CNC Case or Bent Plate Case) The other thing not avialable is the feet for the cases, which we will be getting from another source ourselves. (Probably KBDFans) We have also realised that many people who ordered the Bent Plate case ordered feet, the feet are not compatible with the bent plate from what we see, if this is a error on our half, please let us know that you want the feet with your bent plate. The PCBs look in great condition, the Cases from what we have also look awesome, so it looks like the GB will end well for everyone in the end! We do apologize about the waiting time, we do not have a ETA for the cases from Mill but he said shortly, we will notify you personally in inbox if you are awaiting the CNC case.

Offline HowObvious

« Reply #452 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 14:00:35 »
Hey everyone, I am sorry for the lack of updates here on GH. I've been trying to update more often on the website since not everyone in the GB is on GH.

CK should have no received the PCBs and bent plates. I still need to send them hardware for it. That part of the delay is completely on me and I'm sorry about that. I plan to have it out to them next week.

Wait so they have or haven't received everything they need? Their update just now says "We are happy to report that all orders that have the Bent Plate Case are complete"

They said they had everything 6 weeks ago and were processing everything and then 2 weeks ago said they were waiting on different stabs as the ones they had didnt fit.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #453 on: Thu, 09 May 2019, 16:34:49 »

Wait so they have or haven't received everything they need? Their update just now says "We are happy to report that all orders that have the Bent Plate Case are complete"

They said they had everything 6 weeks ago and were processing everything and then 2 weeks ago said they were waiting on different stabs as the ones they had didnt fit.

I'm not sure what the reason for the stabs not fitting are. I've test all stabs (cherry snap in, GMK screw in, epbt screw in) and they all fit.

They've received everything but the hardware needed for the bent case. I will be shipping those to them soon. Seems that there was a misunderstanding with the rubber feet as I have those too so I'll email them about that asap.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline ktrezzi

« Reply #454 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 03:21:55 »
I'm not blaming on you reconsiderit, but this has to be the longest GB in mechanicalkeyboard history!

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #455 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 03:37:46 »
this has to be the longest GB in mechanicalkeyboard history!

nah

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #456 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 07:36:44 »
I'm not blaming on you reconsiderit, but this has to be the longest GB in mechanicalkeyboard history!

Not even close.  Check out the threads for the Ellipse reproduction model F, or the Mathias 60% with arrows, both of which are still open and pre-date this by years.  There might be others that have taken even longer; I don't know.

Offline speaktobrett

« Reply #457 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 00:48:51 »
So when do you expect the southpaw alu orders to be shipped out?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #458 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 17:59:45 »

I dont have an ETA from the factory and don't want to give any dates yet, but the factory has said that they're anodizing both southpaw fullsize and southpaw 65 yesterday and asked me to confirm numbers and colors so we're getting there.

switchplate.co

Offline tentboy

« Reply #459 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 15:13:35 »

I dont have an ETA from the factory and don't want to give any dates yet, but the factory has said that they're anodizing both southpaw fullsize and southpaw 65 yesterday and asked me to confirm numbers and colors so we're getting there.

Awesome news!

I purchased a group buy spot from someone for the aluminum case and took over their exact order, which included the cone feet.  does the case still come with the stands shown in the prototype and the cone feet or have they been replaced?

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #460 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 08:15:28 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 September 2019, 09:23:53 by Nigolski »

Offline HowObvious

« Reply #461 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 11:49:04 »
Has anyone managed to get their order from Candykeys yet? Or even just a tracking number.

Its been over 2 months now since they started processing my order, emailed them 2 weeks ago and they said they would send the tracking number the next day, they didnt. Emailed back every couple of days and got the same answer.... Last email was 5 days ago.

Offline Krazzios

« Reply #462 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 18:41:20 »
Seeing as there hasn't been confirmation that the alu cases are even done at the factory yet, I'd say Candykeys are bull****ting.

Offline HowObvious

« Reply #463 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 20:33:26 »
Its a bent plate order and everything reconsiderit said a fair bit ago made it seem like they had everything.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #464 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 18:33:20 »

Is there any news from the factory about how anodizing is going?

Offline Krazzios

« Reply #465 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 14:12:01 »
Yeah, honestly. It's one piece of non-information and then silence for >3 weeks every time.

I appreciate production time and delays, but it can't be impossible to at least get an update from the factory. Hell, make something up. At this point I'd rather be fed lies than be kept in the dark.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #466 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 13:23:32 »
Someone posted in the Southpaw Full Size GB thread that reconsiderit posted on some Discord server that there's a problem with the anodizing and estimated that shipping is still a couple months out.  I have no idea how much of that is relevant to the Southpaw 65%, but my understanding was that the Southpaw 65% and full size were both going through anodizing together at the same factory.  There were a couple of pictures of red and blue anodized cases, which is at least evidence that the factory has actually started work on anodizing.  If anyone knows which Discord server reconsiderit is posting updates to, please let the rest of us in on it.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #467 on: Mon, 10 June 2019, 20:21:34 »
Someone in the Southpaw Full Size GB thread shared the Switchplate discord link:

https://discord.gg/HeCgWR

In the southpaw-65 channel, reconsiderit posted this last Thursday:

"They've finished anodizing but a few failed QC.
There's some pretty signifigant grain on the bottom of some of them and it's a result of the material not being extruded cleanly
an issue on the material supplier's side, not the factory's so they're seeing what they can do"

and there are three pictures showing some real anodized Southpaw 65 cases and feet:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/446011953060773889/586101842468012033/mmexport1559807921654.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/446011953060773889/586101843168329738/mmexport1559807937974.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/446011953060773889/586101843168329739/mmexport1559807944862.jpg

Offline ktrezzi

« Reply #468 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 14:32:23 »
Anyone can tell me how to give up a my spot at Candykeys? I ordered the bent plate version, so if anyone is interested?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #469 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 17:16:03 »
Someone posted in the Southpaw Full Size GB thread that reconsiderit posted on some Discord server that there's a problem with the anodizing and estimated that shipping is still a couple months out.  I have no idea how much of that is relevant to the Southpaw 65%, but my understanding was that the Southpaw 65% and full size were both going through anodizing together at the same factory.  There were a couple of pictures of red and blue anodized cases, which is at least evidence that the factory has actually started work on anodizing.  If anyone knows which Discord server reconsiderit is posting updates to, please let the rest of us in on it.

The anodizing for both of them have gone smoothly, but the issue with the southpaw 65 cases are that the material itself is grainy. It's something that can't be caught until anodizing so it was something out of the factory's reach.

I'm working with them on resolving this. At the moment, I'm debating between moving to a coarser sandblast and re-anodizing or seeing if they're willing to remake with better material.

switchplate.co

Offline grossvogel

« Reply #470 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 18:00:32 »
At the moment, I'm debating between moving to a coarser sandblast and re-anodizing or seeing if they're willing to remake with better material.
Um, don't you think that this decision should be put to a vote? Unless the issues you describe are very visible and severe, I can't imagine most people on this group buy voting to increase the waiting time by an indeterminate number of months.

Oh, and you still have plenty of orders for non-anodized, raw aluminum cases that could have been fulfilled months ago. :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2019, 19:16:45 by grossvogel »

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #471 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 19:55:50 »
We've already waited over a year and a half.  After all that waiting, I don't want to come out of this with a half-assed product.  Please fix it, but please don't wait for months at a time from one period of activity on this project to the next.

Offline megahyder

« Reply #472 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 15:16:56 »
I just got my order from Candykeys today. Gotta say I'm really impressed with the heft of the bent plate case.

However I'm having an issue mounting the switch for my iso-enter. Honestly it feels like the plate is in the way, like the hole isn't big enough or its not cut properly. Well I mean I hope it's just me being an idiot but can someone have a look at these pics and let me know who you think?

221222-0

221224-1

Offline HowObvious

« Reply #473 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 09:34:10 »
I just got my order from Candykeys today. Gotta say I'm really impressed with the heft of the bent plate case.

However I'm having an issue mounting the switch for my iso-enter. Honestly it feels like the plate is in the way, like the hole isn't big enough or its not cut properly. Well I mean I hope it's just me being an idiot but can someone have a look at these pics and let me know who you think?

Got mine today and yeah I have the same, it seems like the plate doesn't fit the PCB. If you place just the switch on the plate with no PCB and then try to put the keycap on it wont fit due to the keys to the left being too close.

We may have to file down the plate on the right side of the mount.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #474 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 21:31:09 »

Got mine today and yeah I have the same, it seems like the plate doesn't fit the PCB. If you place just the switch on the plate with no PCB and then try to put the keycap on it wont fit due to the keys to the left being too close.

Hey guys, I just checked on my production file and it's completely my fault that the cutout doesn't line up. I accidentally offset the ISO cutout at some point between creating the footprint and combining the plate element together.

You'll need to take a file to the plate and extend the switch cutout to the switchtop removal line. For the stabilizers, they should barely fit underneath the plate. Check the wire to make sure that it doesn't hit the plate upon full extension.

switchplate.co

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #475 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 02:14:37 »

Hey guys, I just checked on my production file and it's completely my fault that the cutout doesn't line up. I accidentally offset the ISO cutout at some point between creating the footprint and combining the plate element together.

You'll need to take a file to the plate and extend the switch cutout to the switchtop removal line. For the stabilizers, they should barely fit underneath the plate. Check the wire to make sure that it doesn't hit the plate upon full extension.

Is this an issue for alu case+plate also?

Offline bearwolfz

« Reply #476 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 04:10:19 »

I can't believe after all this time, that if i ever recieve my bent plate from Candykeys that i still need to take a file and modify the plate myself to get my iso enter in there  :))

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #477 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 15:04:12 »

Unfortunately yes. I used the same file as a basis for both the standalone and the bent plate options.

switchplate.co

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #478 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 13:33:09 »

Unfortunately yes. I used the same file as a basis for both the standalone and the bent plate options.

That sounds like you're not planning to correct it in the unshipped plates before you ship them.  Why don't you correct the plate file and make that available to us?  Then people who want to use an ISO layout could at least have an easy path to get their own plate cut.  Given how fast this group buy is going, anyone who wants to do that will probably have their custom plate long before you ship the cases.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #479 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 16:10:23 »

That sounds like you're not planning to correct it in the unshipped plates before you ship them.  Why don't you correct the plate file and make that available to us?  Then people who want to use an ISO layout could at least have an easy path to get their own plate cut.  Given how fast this group buy is going, anyone who wants to do that will probably have their custom plate long before you ship the cases.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that tonight.

If anyone needs plate files I'm more than happy to send them out.

switchplate.co

Offline green_mmq

« Reply #480 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 10:55:26 »
Oh, and you still have plenty of orders for non-anodized, raw aluminum cases that could have been fulfilled months ago. :(

Wait a minute, so have the Raw orders been shipped? Are they all complete? If so, why the **** have I been waiting so long?

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #481 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 12:32:37 »

Wait a minute, so have the Raw orders been shipped? Are they all complete? If so, why the **** have I been waiting so long?

It sounds like the raw aluminum cases are still in China with the rest of the aluminum cases.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe he's trying to save a few bucks on shipping by waiting to ship the raw cases with the anodized cases after the anodizing is done, but that seems like a pretty ridiculous reason to make all the raw case orders wait for several extra months.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #482 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 18:00:57 »

It sounds like the raw aluminum cases are still in China with the rest of the aluminum cases.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe he's trying to save a few bucks on shipping by waiting to ship the raw cases with the anodized cases after the anodizing is done, but that seems like a pretty ridiculous reason to make all the raw case orders wait for several extra months.

This is exactly the issue x__x

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #483 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 02:56:07 »

This is exactly the issue x__x

I'm trying my best but the issue is trying to communicate with the factory. I send them a handful of messages every day just to get one incomplete response that doesn't fully address everything. They have never met a deadline and have shifted completion dates on my endlessly. With the raw cases, I am trying to save some money by shipping everything at once since I've gotten to the point where I'm loosing money on this GB.

I initially asked them to ship the raw cases first when they were completed earlier in late April. They said that they were almost done with anodizing cases so I decided to wait. This "almost done" has dragged on and it's difficult for me to get a firm answer from them with how they're communicating with me.

When I get a ship date from them I'll post an update on the website. For now I'm doing everything in my power to bring everything to a close.

switchplate.co

Offline megahyder

« Reply #484 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 06:40:34 »

Thanks for the reply, I assumed as such and filed it a little after I made my initial post. Honestly I don't mind. I would have preferred it to have worked without having to do so, but this isn't a professional endeavour. I feel this sort of thing is a collaborative creative effort and I don't mind having to do a little work on my end. I just appreciate that it's finally here.

I've been enjoying using it and fiddling about with layouts for the last week. Gotta say I'm happy in the end.

Offline forumusername

« Reply #485 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 20:30:15 »
Reconsiderit thanks for sticking with this seeing it all the way through and not ghosting. I hope you don't lose much money if at all.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #486 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 01:21:04 »
How many of the anodized cases failed quality control with a bad finish?  Does anyone know if this sort of finish problem is something that Cerakote would do a better job of covering than anodizing did?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #487 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 01:20:05 »
How many of the anodized cases failed quality control with a bad finish?  Does anyone know if this sort of finish problem is something that Cerakote would do a better job of covering than anodizing did?

The issue isn't like Lunar where the anodizing factory was careless and pitted the alu from the anodizing bath, it's from the material itself where grain from the extrusion process shows in the anodizing. The grain affects the etching step of anodization which then affects the dyeing process and causes more/less dye to be absorbed in places where the grain lines exist.

Cerebrate would completely cover everything as the surface is still perfect. 

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #488 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 01:21:13 »
Also for those looking for the ISO plate, I've linked a fixed one below. If anyone needs a different kind of file or want a fixed plate, please let me know and I'll make one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/151lBSm2-pzsZIGXaw2E4sY_m7cmdrOUb/view?usp=sharing

switchplate.co

Offline tigerali

« Reply #489 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 04:59:33 »
Appreciate the increased communication lately, and totally understand that this is not a professional effort, but I'm beginning to feel frustrated.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #490 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 20:34:38 »
Alright, another quick update as communication between me and my rep at the factory has been pretty sparse in the last two weeks.

Ive talked to some other makers/vendors that are using the factory and they've given me another rep to contact. I'll follow up here and on the website on Monday once I get a reply from him.

As for now, all the cases are complete but I still am not sure how many are affected by the issue. Once I get in touch with the other rep which can hopefully get me some concrete information, I'll decide what to do from there.

switchplate.co

Offline speaktobrett

« Reply #491 on: Sat, 06 July 2019, 19:49:47 »
Alright, another quick update as communication between me and my rep at the factory has been pretty sparse in the last two weeks.

Ive talked to some other makers/vendors that are using the factory and they've given me another rep to contact. I'll follow up here and on the website on Monday once I get a reply from him.

As for now, all the cases are complete but I still am not sure how many are affected by the issue. Once I get in touch with the other rep which can hopefully get me some concrete information, I'll decide what to do from there.

Thanks man, appreciate the update!

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #492 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 03:32:20 »
Lets hope we can get this gb finished before the two year mark  :cool:

Offline MC_kb

« Reply #493 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 03:48:18 »
I'm a bit confused.

I see that some people have received their raw bent plate kits. Are all of these shipped ?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #494 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 02:53:15 »
I'm a bit confused.

I see that some people have received their raw bent plate kits. Are all of these shipped ?

Those should be all shipped if you ordered from me.

If you haven't received yours, please email me. There might be something else with the order or it might've slipped by me

switchplate.co

Offline HowObvious

« Reply #495 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 11:06:17 »
Did any of the other bent plate people get a spacebar stabiliser where there is a bump in the middle of the metal bar? (Candykeys)

The one I got sent with the keyboard from candykeys doesnt fit between the plate and the pcb so it cant move. Something I didnt spot until I had soldered all the switches in, don't want to risk de soldering everything and I will still have to order and wait for another stabiliser kit....

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #496 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 19:02:26 »
Just built one of these for a friend, is the right ctrl default? Everything works except that key, even after replacing the switch and it looks fine.

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #497 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 20:14:38 »
My Southpaw bent steel case came DOA, but I was able to mail it back and was sent a new replacement PCB within a week.

For those curious what was wrong I was told that the reset was stuck, which was why the board didn’t even light up.

Haven’t had time to solder my build but I was relieved and thought I should share this positive experience since this group buy has had its ups and downs.

Offline MC_kb

« Reply #498 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 04:53:38 »
So I mailed CandyKeys, because I didn't know the shipping status of the raw bent plate kits.

David answered : "SO we have another small tiny issue. Are you aware of the acryl plate going under the case? We have not gotten that yet and we sent 75% of the orders for the bent case and now people are asking where that is so that is a mistake."

So, two steps forward, one step backward.

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #499 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 19:01:39 »
So I mailed CandyKeys, because I didn't know the shipping status of the raw bent plate kits.

David answered : "SO we have another small tiny issue. Are you aware of the acryl plate going under the case? We have not gotten that yet and we sent 75% of the orders for the bent case and now people are asking where that is so that is a mistake."

So, two steps forward, one step backward.

That stinks. I am in the US and mine definitely came with the acrylic plate.