Author Topic: [IC] THINK6.5° - PC/Alu 65% Keyboard (Brass Raffle 4/13)  (Read 183419 times)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [IC] THINK6.5° — Polycarbonate 65%
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 20:57:45 »
Position 3.

Really like everything else about the board.

Any ideas on estimated price or timeframe ?

Talking to the manufacturer about the MOQ, cost breakdown, etc. Don't think there should be too much worry about price I think :)

Next week we should be able to get the prototype. We will check if we need to finetune any details, and go from there.

Offline omjak

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 21:28:59 »
Position 3

i did not understand the intention behind the pricing question... "affordable" varies from person to person, and the lower the number the more affordable something is, buy perhaps it meant to ask the highest amount willing to pay?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 21:43:24 »
Position 3

i did not understand the intention behind the pricing question... "affordable" varies from person to person, and the lower the number the more affordable something is, buy perhaps it meant to ask the highest amount willing to pay?

Yes, you are correct. It is asking what is the amount you are willing to pay, for a kit of PC board + PCB + PVD brass badge and weight.

Currently, those high-end PC boards are selling for over $350, before adding brass weights (probably at least another $50), I believe. But a majority (84%) in our survey indicated $250 - $300 is the reasonable price range.

I think I can make this price range work (basically taking out my designer profit part), perhaps as low as possible. Again, I will make a pricing decision later when the cost breakdown comes in soon. That said, I really don't want this board to be associated with being a mid- or lower-tier board. Maybe there is a way.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 March 2019, 21:48:47 by oldcat »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [IC] THINK6.5°
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 21:47:42 »
It looks really nice. Are the words on the three nameplates the same? Can you customize it freely?

Not sure about customization job, but I will likely open source the badge design after GB, in case some want to print out additional ones with different material or make their own logo.

Offline tonny950111

• valar morghulis valar dohaeris
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 22:01:21 »
Long live the old cat

Offline Hokabuki

Re: [IC] THINK6.5° — Polycarbonate 65% (updates)
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 23:40:57 »
Does this layout have a 2u rshift? I didn’t see a diagram of the layout in the OP.

Offline prod

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 00:11:01 »
I really like the first one. ;D
Chicory|YDPv2(BLUP)|BLE40|Daisy|YDPM|YD40w|Golbat

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 01:32:20 »
Hey, just an idea: Since the whole case and plate is PC already, have you thought about making the PCB white instead of black to keep the clean aesthetic?

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 01:43:57 »
I've been wanting a polycarb board for a while now so definitely very interested!

I'm in agreement with some other commenters though that the branding on the case, weight, and nameplate is a little busy for such an otherwise sleek and streamlined board. Keep it simple and stylish -- please no text! If you want to reduce costs too, having very minimalistic engraving will be cheaper.

Offline ilouis_07

• Never Forget Your Origin
    • ILUMKB
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 01:48:54 »
up for oldcat:) and personally, I prefer 1st one.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 03:07:03 »
I've been wanting a polycarb board for a while now so definitely very interested!

I'm in agreement with some other commenters though that the branding on the case, weight, and nameplate is a little busy for such an otherwise sleek and streamlined board. Keep it simple and stylish -- please no text! If you want to reduce costs too, having very minimalistic engraving will be cheaper.

On one hand, yeah, it's a tad too big.
On another, I am of the opinion that a custom case just needs to look super nice as you look down on it while typing. The bottom? Meh. I'm not planning to pick such a heavy keyboard up that often.

coughTimeTKLcough

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 07:47:44 »
Position 3

I don't think there is much to worry about with this perceived as a low end board. AFAIK there hasn't been any budget PC offerings & honestly if it comes in at the popular pricing of $250 to $300 someone would have to be super elitist to think it is low end. I really don't get the perception of those who think a board isn't high end unless it costs a ton & has very limited units available. Sure usually the more expensive the higher the quality of the parts & having an exclusive board is nice. Although I highly disagree that those 2 points make for the best boards out there. The tuning of the parts & how the board feels to type on is the two most important aspects to me. I'd honestly rather use a properly tuned (switch/stabilizer swapped, both properly lubed, & sound damped if necessary) off the shelf board than a terribly built high end kit. I know that probably isn't the most popular opinion, but that is really how I feel about it.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 09:55:33 »

On one hand, yeah, it's a tad too big.
On another, I am of the opinion that a custom case just needs to look super nice as you look down on it while typing. The bottom? Meh. I'm not planning to pick such a heavy keyboard up that often.

coughTimeTKLcough

Thanks for the feedback. Both are being worked on.

Offline Jinnnxxu

• U only live once
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 10:13:08 »
1or 3 both great for me!! Old cat niubility!!
Ins: Jinnnxxu     Discord:Jinnnxxu#9644    
Exclusive: E8V1 | E7V1 x14 | E7-VX | E6V2 x1 | E6V2 PE x7 | E6.5 x9 | E7SE x3 | E8.5 x5
Matrix: 1.0RE | 1.2RE | Abel | Abel+ | Cain | 2.0 x8 | 2.2 x8 | Abel-x x4 | M6 x2 | 1.2OG x15 | Project F x2 | 2.0AD x15 | Noah x3 | Mr. Hat x3 | 2.0VK x1
Rama: M60-A x4 | M65-A x2 | M6-A 88edition | M6-B | KOYU x3 | M60-A SEQ2 X4 | M6-C x2 | U80 x5 | M10-C | M6-C | M60 LNY x2 | M60 Olivia x2 | M65-B x5
FOX: Leaf 80 x4 | Leaf 60 x4 | Key65 x5      TGR:Jane V2 | 910RE | Jane V2 CE x2     Percent: Canoe x3 | Maze x2 | Skog lite | Canoe FE x2
Others: Mira SE x2 | Jermini | C225 x2 | INETT Cross x2 | Kira 80 | Kira 60 | Zephyr 65 R2 | Space 65 x2 | Volcano 660 x3 | INETT Square80 x4 | INETT Square68 x6 | FMJ 80 x2 | Keycult No.2 x1 | Thermal x2

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 10:18:47 »
Position 3

I don't think there is much to worry about with this perceived as a low end board. AFAIK there hasn't been any budget PC offerings & honestly if it comes in at the popular pricing of $250 to $300 someone would have to be super elitist to think it is low end. I really don't get the perception of those who think a board isn't high end unless it costs a ton & has very limited units available. Sure usually the more expensive the higher the quality of the parts & having an exclusive board is nice. Although I highly disagree that those 2 points make for the best boards out there. The tuning of the parts & how the board feels to type on is the two most important aspects to me. I'd honestly rather use a properly tuned (switch/stabilizer swapped, both properly lubed, & sound damped if necessary) off the shelf board than a terribly built high end kit. I know that probably isn't the most popular opinion, but that is really how I feel about it.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful comments. I will stay firm with my original intention for this GB. And I have updated the estimated pricing. Final details for the cost-breakdown is coming from the factory, but I think I can make it work. I have many quite expensive boards, and this one has to be on par or better in terms of quality.

Offline DEMO S

• Demo Studio
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 10:39:01 »
WOW it looks so cool 
PCB maker for premium keyboards.
Instagram: demostudio01

Offline hillmu

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 11:03:07 »
too nice,I want

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 11:59:11 »
What if you did position 1 or 3 but make the badge more of a square and put either an led slit (like canoe) or 3 NCS indicators under it?  Of course you would want to rethink the badge design to fill in the space properly.  I just moved some stuff around, but a badge that reads horizontal might look better in this space.   Not sure how to solve the problem of light bleed on those indicators though. 

Just a thought:

214040-0
214042-1
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 March 2019, 12:01:41 by pixelpusher »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 12:00:22 »
What if you did position 1 or 3 but make the badge more of a square and put either an led slit (like canoe) or 3 NCS indicators under it?

Just a thought:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Great suggestion, will discuss this now

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 12:14:49 »
Yeah indicator LEDs are always cool :thumb:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline b3nkei

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 12:35:01 »
I don't really see the point on led indicators on a polycarbonate board. Wouldn't it cause light bleed all over that part of the keyboard?

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 12:37:09 »
Skipped going for the poly on the e6.5 so I could try this. Will be my 1st poly case. I know you have a lot of swtich/poly experience, oldcat. Do you like running linears or holy gsus on poly?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 12:39:10 »
Skipped going for the poly on the e6.5 so I could try this. Will be my 1st poly case. I know you have a lot of swtich/poly experience, oldcat. Do you like running linears or holy gsus on poly?

Hey there!

If you lube retooled blacks, it won’t make so much difference if you type on aluminum or poly carb. But for tactile like holy panda, pc will sound better as it preserves the switch sound (which I like a lot)

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 12:45:57 »

Hey there!

If you lube retooled blacks, it won’t make so much difference if you type on aluminum or poly carb. But for tactile like holy panda, pc will sound better as it preserves the switch sound (which I like a lot)

Perfect, thanks! Just waiting on my 63.5g springs to show up, then I will have many-a holy panda's waiting :)

Offline chouyu

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 13:01:27 »
Cheers up~

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 15:56:41 »
Does this layout have a 2u rshift? I didn’t see a diagram of the layout in the OP.

R shift is 1.75u

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 16:37:55 »
What if you did position 1 or 3 but make the badge more of a square and put either an led slit (like canoe) or 3 NCS indicators under it?  Of course you would want to rethink the badge design to fill in the space properly.  I just moved some stuff around, but a badge that reads horizontal might look better in this space.   Not sure how to solve the problem of light bleed on those indicators though. 

Just a thought:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Big fan of this idea. Also much prefer the indicators on the bottom of the badge.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 18:00:56 »
I'll be in on this.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 18:35:01 »
We will likely at least make the capslock compatible with steps caps. The challenge is obviously hotswap.

For underglow, I will make 2 prototypes, one as shown in the image, the other will be a circle of underglow LEDs, and will compare which one produces a better result.

214085-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 March 2019, 18:45:12 by oldcat »

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 19:30:57 »
Definitely interested and glad I discovered this before joining the E6.5, that built in 4.5mm plate is going to be amazing

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 20:01:55 »

Just a thought:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

What a fantastic suggestion. I fully support this.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
Re: [IC] THINK6.5° — Polycarbonate 65% (new renders)
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 21:38:56 »
The more I look at this, the more I like it.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 21:46:12 »

Just a thought:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

What a fantastic suggestion. I fully support this.

Thanks bro. We are looking into whether we can make 1 PCB to accommodate the light dots. The challenge is to allow 2 switches (for no-badge version) while adding leds in nearby positions

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 21:48:57 »
Oh, I like that weight design.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 21:53:57 »
Position 3

Thank you very much for your thoughtful comments. I will stay firm with my original intention for this GB. And I have updated the estimated pricing. Final details for the cost-breakdown is coming from the factory, but I think I can make it work. I have many quite expensive boards, and this one has to be on par or better in terms of quality.

That is great to hear, I really respect the way you're going about this project! This will be a great chance for those who can't afford the ultra high end boards to get in on one at a reasonable cost. If all goes to plan & this reaches GB, when it's said done I think all of us buyers will definitely owe you one! :thumb:

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 21:57:28 »

Yeah it is a very nice design for it! Also glad to hear he's considering offering non hotswap PCBs!

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 22:05:27 »

Yeah it is a very nice design for it! Also glad to hear he's considering offering non hotswap PCBs!

Curious the reason against hotswap?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 00:43:47 »
Position 3.

Really like everything else about the board.

Any ideas on estimated price or timeframe ?

Thank you for the support!
1. Estimated price has been updated.
2. Time frame: plan to start GB in March if our proto turns out perfect. At least we will do the raffle non-profit one soon.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 00:50:47 »
Wow.
Another great work from Gray Studio.  :thumb:

Offline Aevyn

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 01:25:15 »
  Definitely in if split backspace is possible. Also think the LED indicator idea near the badge. Great design. 👍

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 01:55:29 »

Just a thought:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Again thanks for the contribution!

Just finished working on this. It’s possible with hotswap. So we decided to  adopt your upper 3 indicator light design. We will provide different colors of LEDs  and hotswap sip led sockets too!
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 March 2019, 01:57:19 by oldcat »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 02:09:16 »
Pcb will have a built-in 4XRGB for your artisan glow dreams. I believe it’s first time a pcb is done with it. I had one custom made with this and it’s great.

Something like this.

Not a valid vimeo URL
And on PCB, there will be 4 rgb LEDs soldered to circle the ESC key. Plate will be cut perfectly to accomodate those 4 leds

« Last Edit: Sun, 03 March 2019, 16:21:04 by oldcat »

Offline empa

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 04:49:37 »
Skipped going for the poly on the e6.5 so I could try this..

Same.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 09:51:24 »

Curious the reason against hotswap?

I think the community’s views towards hotswap havd always been kind of polarized.
I don’t think it has anything to do with convenience it brings but more of the soldering experience and compatibility hotswap boards lacks (e.g., some prefer ISO layout, some likes split space, etc.)
That said we intend to do both hotswap and non-hotswap PCBs and try to bring compatibility into the project (compatibility layouts TBD, still have cost concerns once too many options are provided)
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 March 2019, 09:54:10 by oldcat »

Offline moitorpsychoo

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 10:09:40 »
very interesting layout, this could be my first poly board :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 13:21:05 »
Wow.
Another great work from Gray Studio.  :thumb:

Thanks much, bro!

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 13:25:43 »
Pcb will have a built-in 4XRGB for your artisan glow dreams. I believe it’s first time a pcb is done with it. I had one custom made with this and it’s great.

Something like this.

(Attachment Link)

And on PCB, there will be 4 rgb LEDs soldered to circle the ESC key. Plate will be cut perfectly to accomodate those 4 leds

(Attachment Link)

Amazing!

Offline ptiede

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 13:34:12 »
This has grown on me quite a  bit. Think this may have to be my first poly board, especially given the estimated price! Great job oldcat

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 13:48:42 »
Filled out IC Form before I noticed that you mentioned there will be a non-badge version...  Thanks for adding that option!  I didn't like how it caused the loss of keys; I want all the keys!  :D

Awesome that a PCB option will be available for split backspace, a must for me now that I've been using that layout.  I'd also like to see split spacebar in 2.25, 1.25, 2.75; quickly becoming a must-have for me as well.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 13:58:54 »

Something like this.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

That's pretty cool, man.  Might convince me to buy an artisan cap after all of these years.  Honestly, it might be cool just to have an polycarb milled cap that says THINK6.5