Author Topic: [IC] THINK6.5° - PC/Alu 65% Keyboard (Brass Raffle 4/13)  (Read 184611 times)

Offline mrboli

clear/translucent cap material render is taking a bit long, should be completed tomorrow.

Excited!
KBD67 Zealios V2 65g | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL MX Black | Razer BlackWidow

Offline DEMO S

• Demo Studio
 :)Looks like it’s progressing well
PCB maker for premium keyboards.
Instagram: demostudio01

Offline fromjuanm

I am definitely interested in the full brass version!

Offline joelmats3

Have the badge/weight color options been determined yet? Trying to see what keycap set I want to use. Thanks!

Offline voxkey

Have the badge/weight color options been determined yet? Trying to see what keycap set I want to use. Thanks!

Think Oldcat is still working out all the details regarding badge colors, but I'm pretty sure we'll have more information in the next few days after the prototype is finished.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
clear/translucent cap material render is taking a bit long, should be completed tomorrow.

Excited!

Here you go!

Offline BobCarltheThird

Excited!

Here you go!

Show Image

Eeeeeeeeeeexcellent, can't wait for the GB. This also makes me wonder why no one's tried to make a white on clear GMK set.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline mrboli

Omg that's insane you spent all the time to do the PC keycaps.

I personally was curious about the badge / insert (if you're still working on that) w/ a any other random keyset (in case of color mismatches).

Let's say you get the PC version, would you be able to buy additional inserts w/ different colors for that purpose as well?
KBD67 Zealios V2 65g | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL MX Black | Razer BlackWidow

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Omg that's insane you spent all the time to do the PC keycaps.

I personally was curious about the badge / insert (if you're still working on that) w/ a any other random keyset (in case of color mismatches).

Let's say you get the PC version, would you be able to buy additional inserts w/ different colors for that purpose as well?

Thanks for the kind words!
I will render a PC badge, somehow I forgot about that.
And bottom/badge prototyping is coming out. Pictures to come in a bit

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
The bottom has been completed. Badge prototype to be updated soon.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
3/24/2019 Update:

1. A decision was made to include full aluminum board as a separate option. I am not a big fan of Koyu/Doro/M60A style integrated plate for the reasons I have mentioned. But there are many requests. There will be a few colors available, no MOQ because demand from China is enough to cover MOQ. Same price as Polycarbonate.
2. Bottom case prototype done, pictures updated.
3. We will announce GB and raffle details 3/31/2019 6:50PM MST.

Offline sozo

3/24/2019 Update:

1. A decision was made to include full aluminum board as a separate option. I am not a big fan of Koyu/Doro/M60A style integrated plate for the reasons I have mentioned. But there are many requests. There will be a few colors available, no MOQ because demand from China is enough to cover MOQ. Same price as Polycarbonate.
2. Bottom case prototype done, pictures updated.
3. We will announce GB and raffle details 3/31/2019 6:50PM MST.

Man I can't wait for this board! Such beautiful one at that <3

Offline kolyz

oof now I don't know if I should go for the full PC or the aluminum version!

Offline Bhk1004

Will aluminum version still have 4.5 plate?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

For GB simplicity, yes... the design will be the same.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Making some decent progress. The badges CNC almost done, awaiting polishing, anodization, and PVD surface treatments.

Offline Bhk1004

Bottom left brass looks like it has a booboo next to the 6

Offline TheMnBN

It appears that the aluminium version would be against your original design principle but if there's significant demand for it then just roll with it I guess.

Anyways, I'm 100% in with the PC version with brass weight and badge (and hopefully win a cool custom color badge along the way)  :thumb:

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

It appears that the aluminium version would be against your original design principle but if there's significant demand for it then just roll with it I guess.

Anyways, I'm 100% in with the PC version with brass weight and badge (and hopefully win a cool custom color badge along the way)  :thumb:

I agree with you completely. I think Rama's M60A and Koyu did a great job with integrated thick aluminum plates and that has attracted many thick plates fans. That said, there are certainly merits to thick plate design in aluminum, just not as good as thick plate in PC IMO.

Offline courtcodes

I'm so hyped for this board. I love the idea of thick polycarbonate, and the layout is perfect imo.

At first I didn't really like the badge, but you know what? It's an original touch. It's grown on me so much.

Excited for more pics!

Offline Bhk1004

I'm so hyped for this board. I love the idea of thick polycarbonate, and the layout is perfect imo.

At first I didn't really like the badge, but you know what? It's an original touch. It's grown on me so much.

Excited for more pics!

Must be super psyched! First post! Welcome!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Excited for more pics!

Thanks for the support!

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻

[/quote

I agree with you completely. I think Rama's M60A and Koyu did a great job with integrated thick aluminum plates and that has attracted many thick plates fans. That said, there are certainly merits to thick plate design in aluminum, just not as good as thick plate in PC IMO.

Wait what? I've been out of the loop for a few days, a possible alum. version of the Think 6.5... Nice! Tempting to because a thick alum integrated plate can make for a very nice typing experience for sure. Like my alum. Clueboard for example. It's a very stiff setup, but if you keep from bottoming out to hard it is one of the more solid feeling boards I have tried TBH. I got 78g V2 Zealios in it right now & they pair great with it feel wise & acoustically. I also got a sheet of sorbathane in the bottom of the case which gives it an even bassier & deep thock to the sound than it had stock. It's definitely one of more used boards & the thick integrated plate has a lot to do with that.

That said for the Think I'm still gonna stick to PC as that was the original ideal behind the case & I believe the PC version will feel & sound better than a alum. one. Not only that I think adding alum. versions to this GB is a bad ideal that will end up dragging it out. I can see why you would want to do it if there is enough interest from the community, but I would deal with this GB first then do another for the alum. version afterwards.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻

Wait what? I've been out of the loop for a few days, a possible alum. version of the Think 6.5... Nice! Tempting too because a thick alum integrated plate can make for a very nice typing experience for sure. Like my alum. Clueboard for example. It's a very stiff setup, but if you keep from bottoming out to hard it is one of the more solid feeling boards I have tried TBH. I got 78g V2 Zealios in it right now & they pair great with it feel wise & acoustically. I also got a sheet of sorbathane in the bottom of the case which gives it an even bassier & deep thock to the sound than it had stock. It's definitely one of my more used boards & the thick integrated plate has a lot to do with that.

That said for the Think I'm still gonna stick to PC as that was the original ideal behind the case & I believe the PC version will feel & sound better than a alum. one. Not only that I think adding alum. versions to this GB is a bad ideal that will end up dragging it out. I can see why you would want to do it if there is enough interest from the community, but I would deal with this GB first then do another for the alum. version afterwards.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

We are making a few more prototypes to assess the scalability. Everything on track so far.

Offline kolyz

great looking pictures, keep them coming!  :eek:

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
A few updates: Think6.5 Smoked PC version and Aluminum version prototypes are both being made.
And by the way, Metropolis is going strong!

215980-0

Offline voxkey

A few updates: Think6.5 Smoked PC version and Aluminum version prototypes are both being made.
And by the way, Metropolis is going strong!

(Attachment Link)

This keeps getting better and better!

Offline fromjuanm

Any estimate on when the GB will be open?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Any estimate on when the GB will be open?

We will announce the details of the GB and Raffle (for discounted boards and free accessories) on March 31, 6:50 PM MST.

GB should come very soon :)

Offline kolyz

Making some decent progress. The badges CNC almost done, awaiting polishing, anodization, and PVD surface treatments.

Show Image

does this mean that the brass badges will be available in both silver and gold colors?

Offline voxkey

Show Image

does this mean that the brass badges will be available in both silver and gold colors?

Finalized details look to be coming on the 31st, but the silver badges are actually aluminum and will likely be anodized a few different colors. I think the brass badges will be available in a few different PVD coated colors as well.

The badge file will be open-sourced after the GB as well, so anyone should be able to 3D print new badges in any color they want pretty inexpensively.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Show Image

Hey bro, the brass PVD will only have certain colors. Do have a plan to make some anodized aluminum 6063 badges - will finalize the details soon!

Offline oh_chesteroni

is aluminum bottom poly top still an option or nah?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

I decided to drop the idea of mixed material. A material science PhD student has informed me it might potentially cause problems in the long run.

The reason is that  metal and plastic have different thermal expansion rates and other properties, it can cause minor size or shape differences when the keyboard is exposed to heat, sunlight, or water (moist).

It will not be noticeable for weight or badge as they are small, the larger the material the cumulative effect is larger, so if the top piece is 0.2mm wider than the bottom piece it will be quite noticeable and look bad.

Therefore, for this GB, it will be PC, aluminum, or full brass (raffle). If you are truly interested in this idea you might get both and mix them. I feel in most cases will not be a problem, but since no one has done it before I’d proceed with caution, especially making it as a GB option to encourage uses to try something that might not be ideal.

That said, I do believe it’s a good idea and I will personally try it out for a few months. If there are no issues I will report back and maybe future GB runners for other boards can safely use this combination.

And we are prototyping gf enhanced black PC now!

216066-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2019, 02:04:14 by oldcat »

Offline oh_chesteroni

I decided to drop the idea of mixed material. A material science PhD student has informed me it might potentially cause problems in the long run.

The reason is that  metal and plastic have different thermal expansion rates and other properties, it can cause minor size or shape differences when the keyboard is exposed to heat, sunlight, or water (moist).

It will not be noticeable for weight or badge as they are small, the larger the material the cumulative effect is larger, so if the top piece is 0.2mm wider than the bottom piece it will be quite noticeable and look bad.

Therefore, for this GB, it will be PC, aluminum, or full brass (raffle). If you are truly interested in this idea you might get both and mix them. I feel in most cases will not be a problem, but since no one has done it before I’d proceed with caution, especially making it as a GB option to encourage uses to try something that might not be ideal.

That said, I do believe it’s a good idea and I will personally try it out for a few months. If there are no issues I will report back and maybe future GB runners for other boards can safely use this combination.

And we are prototyping gf enhanced black PC now!

(Attachment Link)

The PhD student definitely made a valid point. Didn't think about that. Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Offline voxkey

Smoked PC :thumb:

Something tells me this will be a popular option.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2019, 08:47:57 by voxkey »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Black PC prototype is being made, while the brass weights CNC has finished, without polishing and PVd yet

216071-0

216073-1

216075-2

Offline ninjacore

Weight looks really cool - nice job

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Weight looks really cool - nice job

Still needs to be polished and PVD'd :P

Offline leexy

smoke pc, now you have my attention

Offline ninjacore

Any chance you could do a render with GMK Good Kid?: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96279.0;topicseen

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Any chance you could do a render with GMK Good Kid?: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96279.0;topicseen

For sure. I am excited about Good Kid as well. Curious how that one is doing and where it is.

Offline pilotxj

The weight looks really great.  Nice work!  I am very excited about this GB.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Doing color matching on the Tiffany color anodization, looks like we will have a Tiffany color case option!

« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2019, 18:37:27 by oldcat »

Offline noahf

what keycap set is that?? ^

Offline ninjacore

Metropolis?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
what keycap set is that?? ^

Metropolis?

The colorway is metropolis, it’s my ad hoc render so a few legends are not correct

Offline Tekniqs

smoked PC looks to be fire!

Offline courtcodes

I wonder how the dark/smoked PC case influence the colour of the underglow LEDs.

Tempted to go clear for all that tasty lighting but smoked looks sooooo good.