Author Topic: [IC] THINK6.5° - PC/Alu 65% Keyboard (Brass Raffle 4/13)  (Read 184666 times)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [IC] THINK6.5° - Polycarbonate 65% Keyboard (launching 4/13)
« Reply #600 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 12:01:46 »
This is looking great!

A few questions:
  • Did you decide on white-yellow PCB based on the votes in the survey? This option might have gotten the most votes simply because it's the first option and you can't skip that question if you don't have a preference.

Almost decided on that. I agree with you but that's a problem with all surveys I feel.

• I am unsure if I'd rather have a PC or alu board. What would you recommend? Pros and cons?

For starters, I think it's best to get an aluminum board. PC for people who are tired of the alu boards. Pros and Cons I think I have shared in the first post.

• Will the alu version have the 4.5mm, perfectly-cut PC Plate? If not, then I guess I'll prefer a PC board for the sound properties as you've mentioned, even though I've never typed on an alu board.

Alu will have the same design, 4.5mm integrated plate. It's similar to M60, if you have experience with it.

• Will the Wavez keycaps only be available with the dark green alu board, or can we mix board colors and keycap options as we will? I think I'd rather have a black alu or frosted PC board with the Wavez keys.

Keycaps are not included in any of the boards. We are only making board kits, but not keycaps. Wavez keycaps can be purchased in the Group Buy that is currently running.

• What switches will be available to choose from?

No switches.

• How difficult would it be to modify the PCB to support Bluetooth, if it's even possible? I might get two boards if this is doable. I've never soldered before, but I believe I could get it done with instructions at least.

Maybe in the future, after we are done with this GB. No plan for Bluetooth for this GB. The weight design needs to be redesigned to allow a battery slot.

[/list]

Sorry if any of the questions have already been answered.
Thanks!

No worries!

Sincerely,
A noob.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #601 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 12:02:47 »
This is looking great!

A few questions:
  • Will the Wavez keycaps only be available with the dark green alu board, or can we mix board colors and keycap options as we will? I think I'd rather have a black alu or frosted PC board with the Wavez keys.
  • What switches will be available to choose from?
  • How difficult would it be to modify the PCB to support Bluetooth, if it's even possible? I might get two boards if this is doable. I've never soldered before, but I believe I could get it done with instructions at least.

GMK Wavez keycaps are currently live here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100063.0  They are not part of this GB

Switches will be purchased separately, not part of the GB; buy what you want to install onto it ;-)

Best bet for "modifying" it to use bluetooth would be something like this: http://handheldsci.com/kb/  Though I believe I remember oldcat saying a BT PCB may be an option in the future; I think I remember reading that.

Thanks so much brother!

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #602 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 12:12:57 »
216560-0

Sharing this here! This is the first keyboard group buy I've ever been really interested in.

Offline Zurg Eon

« Reply #603 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 12:20:47 »
Thanks for the reply! I figured keycaps and switches weren't included, but wasn't sure. Was planning on jumping on the Wavez GB anyways.
Looking forward to assembling this! ;D

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #604 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 12:24:29 »
(Attachment Link)

Sharing this here! This is the first keyboard group buy I've ever been really interested in.

Looks great! Hype is real! Ahhhhhh take my money!

Offline mrboli

« Reply #605 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 12:32:15 »
Is the PCB going to have any LED's for the polycarb, or can you add any? (Sorry not too familiar with options here).
KBD67 Zealios V2 65g | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL MX Black | Razer BlackWidow

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #606 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 13:02:56 »
Is the PCB going to have any LED's for the polycarb, or can you add any? (Sorry not too familiar with options here).

Thanks for the question! I will make a graphic today that will hopefully include all the features of the boards, including the 3 light sources.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #607 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 13:03:16 »
(Attachment Link)

Thanks so much!!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #608 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 16:47:51 »
Thanks for the reply! I figured keycaps and switches weren't included, but wasn't sure. Was planning on jumping on the Wavez GB anyways.
Looking forward to assembling this! ;D

Thanks! Typically custom boards do not come with those, they can be more expensive than the board!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #609 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 17:58:05 »

Here you go, a graphic I just made:

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 April 2019, 22:09:15 by oldcat »

Offline Bryan

« Reply #610 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 18:19:54 »
Everything looks great, my only concern is how the underglow will look on a polycarb case with only 8 SMD underglow.

The more SMD underglow led's per row would fill the uneven gaps of light better. Still looking forward to joining but I just wonder how 8 SMD LED would look with the regular PC board.

Offline Hermanchan93

« Reply #611 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 18:25:46 »
I can't decide between boring but safe grey or a bit more daring rose-gold...

Offline Starius

« Reply #612 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 18:40:02 »
Just throwing my random thought out here, but wouldn't it be cool if there was a poly-carbonate badge with RGB LEDs behind it? 
Don't expect it to happen here, but just thought that would be visually interesting on a board like this.

Offline kolyz

« Reply #613 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 19:19:21 »

Show Image

This is amazing oldcat! thanks for posting this :)

Offline MCsOrangeJuice

« Reply #614 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 20:22:36 »
Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new to mechanical keyboards and have never built a custom, but I love the look of this case and plan to join the GB. I was reading that if some switches are mounted “north facing”, cherry profile keycaps can have issues bottoming out on some rows. Will the hotswap PCB in this kit have compatibility issues with south facing switches and GMK keycaps? It seems unlikely since GMK are so popular and the board has been shown with GMK renders, but I couldn’t find a clear answer elsewhere. Thanks for your time!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #615 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 21:06:54 »
Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new to mechanical keyboards and have never built a custom, but I love the look of this case and plan to join the GB. I was reading that if some switches are mounted “north facing”, cherry profile keycaps can have issues bottoming out on some rows. Will the hotswap PCB in this kit have compatibility issues with south facing switches and GMK keycaps? It seems unlikely since GMK are so popular and the board has been shown with GMK renders, but I couldn’t find a clear answer elsewhere. Thanks for your time!

The switches are south facing with this board. It was considered from the get-go. Thanks!

Offline ian13

« Reply #616 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 23:40:59 »
Is it too early to ask for the shipping method/shipping company that you will be using?

I suppose this will be manufactured in China so I'm wondering if it is possible to use DHL Express Worldwide so that delivery will be straight to my door/house instead of picking it up from the local post and end-up paying more for the customs duties in my country.  :(

It's possible but I believe DHL Express is more expensive for you in terms of shipping (I could be wrong). SF is so far cheapest I believe. If in some countries DHL is cheaper yet provides a better service we can certainly consider that.

I agree that SF is cheaper but I would rather pay more than wait for a very (and I mean very) long notification from our customs that I have a package, which I then need to pick up myself at the local post office and pay the hefty customs duties. Sometimes it's actually cheaper to opt for DHL express worldwide shipping than course the package through customs and then local post. Sad, but it's true.  :(

I hope we can sort this out in my transaction when the GB starts. Wouldn't want to miss out on this nice board.   :thumb:

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #617 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 23:46:53 »
Is it too early to ask for the shipping method/shipping company that you will be using?

I suppose this will be manufactured in China so I'm wondering if it is possible to use DHL Express Worldwide so that delivery will be straight to my door/house instead of picking it up from the local post and end-up paying more for the customs duties in my country.  :(

It's possible but I believe DHL Express is more expensive for you in terms of shipping (I could be wrong). SF is so far cheapest I believe. If in some countries DHL is cheaper yet provides a better service we can certainly consider that.

I agree that SF is cheaper but I would rather pay more than wait for a very (and I mean very) long notification from our customs that I have a package, which I then need to pick up myself at the local post office and pay the hefty customs duties. Sometimes it's actually cheaper to opt for DHL express worldwide shipping than course the package through customs and then local post. Sad, but it's true.  :(

I hope we can sort this out in my transaction when the GB starts. Wouldn't want to miss out on this nice board.   :thumb:

Curious which countries are you hailing from?
SF Express seems very good in US.
Maybe for some countries, we can do DHL. Or, maybe an option in the GB form?

Offline ian13

« Reply #618 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 00:48:53 »

I'm from southeast asia, which is actually near China (lol) but would still opt for DHL express worldwide as I had a better experience with them delivering my goods directly to where I live.  :))

If SF is the only option for me, I would rather route the package to my forwarder in the US and then have it shipped directly to my country, which I would not like to do since I have to pay for 2 shipments.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #619 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 00:51:32 »
FWIW I had a not so great experience with SF Express too. Maybe it was just the lowest tier and their are better/faster ones. But the GSUS switches took a solid 30 days to get to me.

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #620 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 01:26:07 »
Adding DHL in the form as shipping will be good

Offline calveeen

« Reply #621 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 01:27:59 »
Anyone knows if hotswap pcbs give rise to issues with keycap alignment? Or will the switches fit straight without issue such that the keycaps are likewise all straight!

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #622 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 01:40:43 »
Anyone knows if hotswap pcbs give rise to issues with keycap alignment? Or will the switches fit straight without issue such that the keycaps are likewise all straight!

That's more an issue with the alignment of the holes on the pcb. You can always bend your switches slightly to get a better fit.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #623 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 02:03:44 »
@oldcat
1) Will split backspace, with badge, and hotswap definitely not be an option?

2) What is the strip of color at the top of the aluminum boards in that latest info-graphic?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #624 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 09:25:12 »
FWIW I had a not so great experience with SF Express too. Maybe it was just the lowest tier and their are better/faster ones. But the GSUS switches took a solid 30 days to get to me.

I think that’s a lower tier. I have numerous packages sent via SF Express to US it’s about 5 days typically.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #625 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 09:27:43 »

I'm from southeast asia, which is actually near China (lol) but would still opt for DHL express worldwide as I had a better experience with them delivering my goods directly to where I live.  :))

If SF is the only option for me, I would rather route the package to my forwarder in the US and then have it shipped directly to my country, which I would not like to do since I have to pay for 2 shipments.

I see. I will talk to Potter. We should be able to provide a SF option and DHL option.
Will also check if DHL can match SF rate if we have enough orders.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #626 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 09:30:21 »
@oldcat
1) Will split backspace, with badge, and hotswap definitely not be an option?

2) What is the strip of color at the top of the aluminum boards in that latest info-graphic?

1) sorry unfortunately not
2) left or top (in the picture), left is lighting reflection. It’s same color. Too is the diffuser under which there are 3 hotswap led slots

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #627 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 15:45:55 »

That's more an issue with the alignment of the holes on the pcb. You can always bend your switches slightly to get a better fit.

Yeah. Aligning the switch pins and should be ok. This is 4.5mm plate so there shouldn’t be an issue with keycap alignment

Offline mrboli

« Reply #628 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 17:59:52 »

Thanks!

Btw, the diffuser for the alu case means that there will be non alu in the alu case?

Also for the alu version is the plate integrated alu?

Just to be super clear here, the PC plate is integrated into the top part of the case and not sandwich mounted or something like that, right?
How will this compare in terms of feel & sound to a PC + brass plate like 910, or Singa?
How does it compare to a classical polycarb/alu sandwhich mounted to an alu case?
Is the PCB just kept in place via the switches, or are there screws etc?

Are all PCB's (esp hotswap) going to have the RGB underglow?

Btw what is glass-enhanced fiberglass? Does it have any functional aspect to it and will RGB lighting show through?
KBD67 Zealios V2 65g | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL MX Black | Razer BlackWidow

Offline voxkey

« Reply #629 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 20:08:54 »

Thanks!

Btw, the diffuser for the alu case means that there will be non alu in the alu case?

Also for the alu version is the plate integrated alu?

Just to be super clear here, the PC plate is integrated into the top part of the case and not sandwich mounted or something like that, right?
How will this compare in terms of feel & sound to a PC + brass plate like 910, or Singa?
How does it compare to a classical polycarb/alu sandwhich mounted to an alu case?
Is the PCB just kept in place via the switches, or are there screws etc?

Are all PCB's (esp hotswap) going to have the RGB underglow?

Btw what is glass-enhanced fiberglass? Does it have any functional aspect to it and will RGB lighting show through?

1) Yes, the diffuser in the aluminum case is not made of aluminum.

2) The plate in the aluminum Think6.5 is integrated, so similar to Rama M60-A and Koyu.

3) The PC Think6.5 also has an integrated plate, so no sandwich mounting. It's actually part of the top.

4) The consensus is that PC sounds pretty good, so more PC the better? :) It'll be too hard to tell until we get some typing tests on the prototype. I'm pretty excited to hear it! I know Oldcat has some nice switches ready to go.

5) Aluminum as a material tends to carry sound very well, and in our hobby, that usually means pings from the springs or leaf, which is why people feel that aluminum isn't the best choice when going for sound. Alu cases can be modified to sound better, but since PC is a more sound-absorbing material this isn't really necessary. The TL;DR is that when it comes to sound PC is good, aluminum not so much.

6) There will be screws that hold the PCB to the integrated plate on the hotswap version. I am not positive on the non-hotswap, but solder should do that job just fine like in other setups.

7) All PCBs will have underglow LEDs as well as 4XRGB Esc.

8) We're still not sure how much light will pass through the glass fiber-reinforced black polycarbonate. This will have to be tested once the prototypes are finished. It is pretty cool though. I don't think anyone else is making keyboards from this stuff. It's super, super strong!

Offline TheMnBN

« Reply #630 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 20:21:36 »

8) We're still not sure how much light will pass through the glass fiber-reinforced black polycarbonate. This will have to be tested once the prototypes are finished. It is pretty cool though. I don't think anyone else is making keyboards from this stuff. It's super, super strong!

I'm waiting for photos/build stream of prototype to decide between the 2 PC versions. But it will be PC all the way for me.  :thumb:

Offline ian13

« Reply #631 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 20:37:44 »

I'm quite intrigued by how this fiberglass-enhanced black pc would sound as well! :thumb:

Offline voxkey

« Reply #632 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 22:20:35 »

I'm quite intrigued by how this fiberglass-enhanced black pc would sound as well! :thumb:

I think we all are. I think it’s look very unique and is pretty cool!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #633 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 23:22:23 »
216649-0

216651-1

216653-2

216655-3

« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2019, 23:30:55 by oldcat »

Offline courtcodes

Oh, mannnn! I was so set on PC as I felt like you guys designed the board with it in mind, but knowing the alu version will have a diffuser, I'm starting to sway!

Offline voxkey

Oh, mannnn! I was so set on PC as I felt like you guys designed the board with it in mind, but knowing the alu version will have a diffuser, I'm starting to sway!

You could always go for the black glass fiber-reinforced PC. That also has a diffuser, just not shown in the prototype.  :)

Offline gableh

Looks great! Really interested in this!

Regarding the 4xRGB mod, is it possible to add on more of it? I'd really like to have one in the top right corner as well if its possible.

Offline Aevyn

Will split backspace + badge be an option? (Don't really care about hotswap as much).

Offline Bhk1004

Will split backspace + badge be an option? (Don't really care about hotswap as much).

Yes it was the last layout offered and seems to have become very popular.

Offline blizzara01

Is the 4x RGB will just throw random color or you can change it to other modes (breathing, static, etc...)?

Offline Darknight00z

Does the pcb have pin outs to add led stips underneath? I dont think 8 is enough personally.

Secondly how heavy is the PC case with weight and plate?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Does the pcb have pin outs to add led stips underneath? I dont think 8 is enough personally.

No. I will test and make a decision on the number of LEDs later. Looks quite good based on some pictures I received.

Secondly how heavy is the PC case with weight and plate?

I am not quite sure. I'd estimate a fully assembled board to be around 1kg. Can test it when I receive the prototypes next week.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Is the 4x RGB will just throw random color or you can change it to other modes (breathing, static, etc...)?

You can change modes as per qmk.

Offline Bryan

I mentioned my concern for 8 underglow LEDs. I'm glad you are considering adding more.

Offline voxkey

The Alu options are looking great! Thinking about going in on Wavez or Olivia to match the keysets. Decisions....

Offline blizzara01

That's nice. Is it separate though to the underglow? Or they will always have the same mode. Basically I just want the 4x RGB on and off the underglow.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
The Alu options are looking great! Thinking about going in on Wavez or Olivia to match the keysets. Decisions....

Thanks Voxkey. I love the Wavez colorway the most.

Also, I'd note that for PC, do not force the screw in or overtighten, it might cause the screw threads to strip. I have stripped one of my PC Canoe screws as I overtightened one of the screws.

Upon my request, Potter just did some stress tests on Think6.5, on one clear frosted PC prototype. Apparently if you use extra force to tighten when the screw already reaches the end, 3 times of overtightening is all you need to strip the thread. Tried both PC/nylon screws and YFS ti-plated screws, effects are similar.

This is a pretty common problem with PC boards. Therefore, do exercise caution before you join this GB (or other PC boards that use screws to fixate the plate or case), and handle with care regarding the screws if you do get one.

We have not tested the black PC one yet. Potter said black GF-reinforced PC should not suffer from this issue as much as regular PC.

Question for material science experts:

If I put a washer in, and/or if the threaded hole is longer than the screw length, will this perhaps address the potential PC thread stripping issue?
Something I will test if no one has experimented.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2019, 23:42:53 by oldcat »

Offline yohannes

I didnt know/realize there’s diffuser in the alu. How will it look like? Is there any pic posted?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

That's nice. Is it separate though to the underglow? Or they will always have the same mode. Basically I just want the 4x RGB on and off the underglow.

I believe it is part of the underglow. Therefore, you cannot disable underglow while having 4XRGB on.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
I didnt know/realize there’s diffuser in the alu. How will it look like? Is there any pic posted?

Please zoom in on this picture, you will at most have 3 different LED colors on that light strip (or same color). What is shown is the same color under that diffuser.