Author Topic: [IC] THINK6.5° - PC/Alu 65% Keyboard (Brass Raffle 4/13)  (Read 184666 times)

Offline yohannes

I didnt know/realize there’s diffuser in the alu. How will it look like? Is there any pic posted?

Please zoom in on this picture, you will at most have 3 different LED colors on that light strip (or same color). What is shown is the same color under that diffuser.

Show Image

Oh I see what you meant. So there's a strip of diffuser just above the badge for the alu right? (see the arrow below)

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 April 2019, 04:35:25 by yohannes »

Offline yohannes

Oldcat, I want to clarify that in any material; alu, brass, or pc, they each will have "esc 4xrgb leds", "3 leds + light diffuser", and "8 underglow smd leds"? Because in the diagram you shared, for example, only the "esc 4xrgb leds" is present in the black pcb but not in others. Thanks for the clarification.

BR,
Yohannes

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
I didnt know/realize there’s diffuser in the alu. How will it look like? Is there any pic posted?

Please zoom in on this picture, you will at most have 3 different LED colors on that light strip (or same color). What is shown is the same color under that diffuser.

Show Image

Oh I see what you meant. So there's a strip of diffuser just above the badge for the alu right? (see the arrow below)

Show Image

For Alu, brass, and black pc, there is that light strip

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Oldcat, I want to clarify that in any material; alu, brass, or pc, they each will have "esc 4xrgb leds", "3 leds + light diffuser", and "8 underglow smd leds"? Because in the diagram you shared, for example, only the "esc 4xrgb leds" is present in the black pcb but not in others. Thanks for the clarification.

BR,
Yohannes

You are correct. These are same for all specs. Only thing is that Regular pc is clear frost and does not require the diffuser.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
fixed full brass raffle period. For details please check out:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99634.msg2742332#msg2742332

Offline coffeeshopcoder

Is the frosted black pc case translucent or opaque ?
Are the color sample badges renders or real. Is that the dark green color badge the same color as that waves green case ? For the waves green case, could you do a render with nautilus nightmares ?

Trying to decide between the aluminum or polycarbonate .
I don’t own a polycarbonate board yet, but I really do like that green !!

Offline blizzara01

Will there be a RGB(in the badge position) also in non-badge version?

Offline Jaycob_Creighton

The Alu options are looking great! Thinking about going in on Wavez or Olivia to match the keysets. Decisions....

Thanks Voxkey. I love the Wavez colorway the most.

Also, I'd note that for PC, do not force the screw in or overtighten, it might cause the screw threads to strip. I have stripped one of my PC Canoe screws as I overtightened one of the screws.

Upon my request, Potter just did some stress tests on Think6.5, on one clear frosted PC prototype. Apparently if you use extra force to tighten when the screw already reaches the end, 3 times of overtightening is all you need to strip the thread. Tried both PC/nylon screws and YFS ti-plated screws, effects are similar.

This is a pretty common problem with PC boards. Therefore, do exercise caution before you join this GB (or other PC boards that use screws to fixate the plate or case), and handle with care regarding the screws if you do get one.

We have not tested the black PC one yet. Potter said black GF-reinforced PC should not suffer from this issue as much as regular PC.

Question for material science experts:

If I put a washer in, and/or if the threaded hole is longer than the screw length, will this perhaps address the potential PC thread stripping issue?
Something I will test if no one has experimented.
In regards to the stripping question you asked, neither a longer threaded hole or a standard washer will stop you from stripping the threads on the inside of the hole. A locking washer may help a bit to maintain downward force without stripping the threads. I've been a professional CNC Machinist for 8 years and have stripped lots of threads.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Are the color sample badges renders or real. Is that the dark green color badge the same color as that waves green case ? For the waves green case, could you do a render with nautilus nightmares ?

Trying to decide between the aluminum or polycarbonate .
I don’t own a polycarbonate board yet, but I really do like that green !!

Hey, see the answers here:
Opaque

We obtained color codes for Wavez' dark green from Enjoy, and talked to the ano factory to open the new ano color (Wavez green), it's not a perfect match as in the keycap due to different material but close (see picture below). For rose gold we used the color code Olivia sent to me to do color matching. Very close too.
See the actual color samples.

I will try to do nautilus nightmare with the Wavez green special colorway. I love nautilus nightmare too!
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2019, 00:42:15 by oldcat »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
The Alu options are looking great! Thinking about going in on Wavez or Olivia to match the keysets. Decisions....

Also, I'd note that for PC, do not force the screw in or overtighten, it might cause the screw threads to strip. I have stripped one of my PC Canoe screws as I overtightened one of the screws.

Upon my request, Potter just did some stress tests on Think6.5, on one clear frosted PC prototype. Apparently if you use extra force to tighten when the screw already reaches the end, 3 times of overtightening is all you need to strip the thread. Tried both PC/nylon screws and YFS ti-plated screws, effects are similar.

This is a pretty common problem with PC boards. Therefore, do exercise caution before you join this GB (or other PC boards that use screws to fixate the plate or case), and handle with care regarding the screws if you do get one.

We have not tested the black PC one yet. Potter said black GF-reinforced PC should not suffer from this issue as much as regular PC.

If I put a washer in, and/or if the threaded hole is longer than the screw length, will this perhaps address the potential PC thread stripping issue?
In regards to the stripping question you asked, neither a longer threaded hole or a standard washer will stop you from stripping the threads on the inside of the hole. A locking washer may help a bit to maintain downward force without stripping the threads. I've been a professional CNC Machinist for 8 years and have stripped lots of threads.

Thanks much, brother!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Will there be a RGB(in the badge position) also in non-badge version?

Hello that place is 3 LEDs (you can use different color ones) hotswap sip sockets, they are not RGB. They are separately controlled via switch lights than underglow.

Those lights will not look great in a non-badge version I believe, so it almost doesn't matter if they are there or not.

Offline Jaycob_Creighton

Thanks much, brother!
<3

Offline Jurka

Is it known which 65% cases the PCB would fit? Because I might be interested in buying only the PCB ( EDIT: and the plate )...if it is possible  ;D

EDIT: Me dumb, thanks for clarifying that the plate is integrated.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2019, 07:32:37 by Jurka »
Tenkeyless and penniless.

Offline ninjacore

Is it known which 65% cases the PCB would fit? Because I might be interested in buying only the PCB ( EDIT: and the plate )...if it is possible  ;D

Plate is integrated.

Offline ninjacore

@oldcat, could you also render Taro on the green alu case if you have a chance? Thanks so much!

Offline prototype26

What do you use for hotswap sockets? Kailh hotswap?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Does the pcb have pin outs to add led stips underneath? I dont think 8 is enough personally.

Secondly how heavy is the PC case with weight and plate?

Based on the build stream earlier today 8 rgb underglow seems to be quite enough! I will do more tests as I get them coming Monday/Tuesday

216783-0

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
What do you use for hotswap sockets? Kailh hotswap?

Yes Kaihua hotswap sockets are used for the hotswap pcb.

Offline Bryan

Where can we watch a replay or vod of the build stream?

Offline tryZEROg

I've been watching this thread like a hawk, was it known when/where the build stream was happening? Was really depending on watching this to try to make final decisions. Hoping we can watch it somewhere.

I'm new to all of this - Wavez and the THINK6.5 will be my first GBs. I really like the wavez green alu, but the PC has had me interested the whole time - but I have no real context for either. I want to use this for work on a mac, and gaming on a pc. I'm a slightly aggressive typist, work from home right now (so noise isn't currently an issue), but I imagine I'll be back in the office at some point, and don't want something too loud (of course switches will make the biggest difference here, prob going to get some tactiles and linears to try). The talk about the sound of a PC case/plate intrigued me, but there isn't all that much info out there to help compare, especially as someone new to the scene.

VOD link? Other thoughts or recommendations? Anything helps. I really appreciate it.

I'm super excited for this GB, thanks for all the hard work to everyone involved.

Offline Bhk1004

Vod link will be posted when its uploaded. Currently not up.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

I've been watching this thread like a hawk, was it known when/where the build stream was happening? Was really depending on watching this to try to make final decisions. Hoping we can watch it somewhere.

I'm new to all of this - Wavez and the THINK6.5 will be my first GBs. I really like the wavez green alu, but the PC has had me interested the whole time - but I have no real context for either. I want to use this for work on a mac, and gaming on a pc. I'm a slightly aggressive typist, work from home right now (so noise isn't currently an issue), but I imagine I'll be back in the office at some point, and don't want something too loud (of course switches will make the biggest difference here, prob going to get some tactiles and linears to try). The talk about the sound of a PC case/plate intrigued me, but there isn't all that much info out there to help compare, especially as someone new to the scene.

VOD link? Other thoughts or recommendations? Anything helps. I really appreciate it.

I'm super excited for this GB, thanks for all the hard work to everyone involved.

Hey there, thanks for the enthusiasm! The stream is recorded, but not sure Douyu has not uploaded it yet. The link is here once released: https://www.douyu.com/3561678

Suggestions to your situation: if you plan to use it in a quiet environment, I think the switch will matter way more than the material, some silent switches should address your concerns. One thing I would note, is that if you are new to the game, I would always suggest trying the aluminum first. PC is new even to many of us, and there are fewer best practices in maintaining the board, etc. But I am sure PC board will be more common in the future. For me personally, what excites me the most is the Wavez Green alu (made the investment to get the Wavez color ano) and the black PC.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Link is here: https://www.douyu.com/3561678
But appears the VOD has not been uploaded yet.

Offline joelmats3

Sorry if this has been said but for the alu version, is there a diffuser between the top and bottom part of the case or how will the underglow show? I'm still new to this.

Offline voxkey

👌

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Sorry if this has been said but for the alu version, is there a diffuser between the top and bottom part of the case or how will the underglow show? I'm still new to this.

For Alu/black PC, the underglow will not work. The Light sources will be 4XRGB on ESC, and 3 LEDs on the light strip diffuser

Offline Bjergesen

Board Colors
« Reply #676 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 20:05:39 »
How Pink is the color of the rose gold aluminum case gonna be. As a guy who's not afraid of pink I'm not that worried but just wanted to ask how the pink to copper ratio was gonna be.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: Board Colors
« Reply #677 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 20:14:35 »
How Pink is the color of the rose gold aluminum case gonna be. As a guy who's not afraid of pink I'm not that worried but just wanted to ask how the pink to copper ratio was gonna be.

Here is the actual anodization color under sufficient sunlight.

Offline TuCZnak

I don't think this has been asked, so... How does QMK support the two separate RGB "clusters"? Can you separate the ESC 4xRGB from the underglow 8xRGB or are they controlled together?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
I don't think this has been asked, so... How does QMK support the two separate RGB "clusters"? Can you separate the ESC 4xRGB from the underglow 8xRGB or are they controlled together?

They are together. The 3 LEDs on the light diffuser strip are separately controlled.

Offline ian13

But.. I'm too afraid to click any link on the VOD site...  :'( :-X :eek:

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

But.. I'm too afraid to click any link on the VOD site...  :'( :-X :eek:

Don’t click just yet. When it’s ready I will share the exact link

Offline prototype26

Out of curiosity, what made you go for integrated plate design for the aluminium? Before, you said if alu was going to be included it would either be top or gasket mount.

Offline ninjacore

Out of curiosity, what made you go for integrated plate design for the aluminium? Before, you said if alu was going to be included it would either be top or gasket mount.

I vaguely remember it coming up when the decision was made to go with a plate of 4mm thickness.  @oldcat can provide more information, I'm sure.

Offline Marutks

Is it possible to have ANSI layout with split backspace support?  like rama koyu?
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2019, 08:34:21 by Marutks »

Offline voxkey

Is it possible to have ANSI layout with split backspace support?  like rama koyu?

Yeah, just go for the compatible layout with or without the badge.

Offline Marutks

I would prefer ANSI enter and split backspace.   like this plate:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0490/7329/products/Zephyr_box_49c96b52-15ae-40c0-84a4-952cdf225330.jpg

no huge cutouts on plate

Offline voxkey

I would prefer ANSI enter and split backspace.   like this plate:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0490/7329/products/Zephyr_box_49c96b52-15ae-40c0-84a4-952cdf225330.jpg

no huge cutouts on plate

Totally understand. I use split backspace exclusively myself.

We’ve talked at length about it and came to the conclusion that with 4mm+ plate and soldering switches in, the large cutout around the enter key should have minimal affect on feel.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

There is a huge demand from China for aluminum so I made a decision to make it happen for those who want aluminum. Redesigning at this stage will make this GB too complicated. Plus people seem to be pretty happy with M60a, upcoming Koyu and Doro which are integrated thick plates.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

I wasn't able to catch the build stream, is there anywhere I can see it now?

Offline Bhk1004

I wasn't able to catch the build stream, is there anywhere I can see it now?

Not up and potters comp broke. We will have new videos tomorrow or Wednesday. The prototype are landing in Arizona tomorrow.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
216921-0

216923-1

Forgive the brass badge, not pvd’d yet
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2019, 23:58:24 by oldcat »

Offline ian13

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Forgive the brass badge, not pvd’d yet

Oof! Serika is <3 Especially those novelties!  :thumb:

Offline Aznguyen316

Re: [IC] THINK6.5° - PC/Alu 65% Keyboard (GB post live, launching 4/13)
« Reply #693 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 11:02:21 »
I asked this over on the GB thread, but may be better posted here..

If ordering the PC keeb w/ ANSI hotswap & badge, will the extra solder pcb still work with that integrated plate to utilize a split backspace?

edit*

Old cat answered:

Ansi will not allow split BS if you check the layout graph. The soldering pcb can be used for ansi for sure.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2019, 11:51:17 by Aznguyen316 »

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #694 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 11:44:42 »
GO GO GO.
Almost launch.  :thumb:

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #695 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 12:10:20 »
I asked this over on the GB thread, but may be better posted here..

If ordering the PC keeb w/ ANSI hotswap & badge, will the extra solder pcb still work with that integrated plate to utilize a split backspace?

edit*

Old cat answered:

Ansi will not allow split BS if you check the layout graph. The soldering pcb can be used for ansi for sure.

Yeah the ANSI one will not allow split backspace.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #696 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 23:58:36 »
Upon using the prototype today, I have decided to increase from 8 to 14 underglow LEDs (frost clear), 2 rows. Thanks all for the feedback.

Offline Bryan

« Reply #697 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 00:56:56 »
Upon using the prototype today, I have decided to increase from 8 to 14 underglow LEDs (frost clear), 2 rows. Thanks all for the feedback.

Aww Yes! Now I'm totally on board with this board!

Offline wellbeing44

• kebord good kebord fun yum yum
« Reply #698 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 02:52:02 »
Let there be light!

Offline voxkey

« Reply #699 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 09:05:57 »

:thumb: