Author Topic: Cooler Master Novatouch vs Realforce 87U and some other things.  (Read 22299 times)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Cooler Master Novatouch vs Realforce 87U and some other things.
« on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 00:50:23 »
Warning: I talk about golf, wine and other things that will certainly bore you for no reason.

I have been quite curious about the Cooler Master Novatouch ever since it was teased by Carter in a thread almost one year ago but as primarily a Realforce 87U (45G) user I opted not to buy it immediately … that is until I managed to catch two of these babies on sale (yea, I'm not special like you the rest of you guys, I had to pay for my Novas)

I’m quite curious to see how the Novatouch stacks up against the Realforce 87U
The Realforce 87U has a very industrial look and feel - in other word’s it’s boring and isn’t designed with appearance in mind. It’s comes in an ordinary, but well-presented cardboard box. It’s a proper enthusiast keyboard for a workplace. Also don’t forget the unforgettable “good feeling of oneness with cup rubber”.

The Novatouch is packaged in a sleek box with a nice modern touch.  Aesthetically, the Novatouch looks like a regular ole tenkeyless. The Cooler Master branding is still a bit childish which quite a shame is since the Novatouch is CM’s foray into a more premium line of keyboards.

There’s also some o-rings (Wah why?) and hey a keycap puller that won’t scratch your keys (the RF 87U’s keycap puller was notorious for this – don’t use it)! There are no dip switches on the Novatouch. The 87U has dip switches, although I personally don’t use them or haven’t yet had the right opportunity to do so. There’s also no caps lock indicator but I think this makes a lot of sense – how many times have you bought a custom keyset which comes with a caps lock that ends up obscuring your light anyways?

Since I really like my Realforce 87u, I thought it would interesting to see how the Novatouch stacks up.
The Novatouch is not as large as the 87U and it’s certainly lighter. While the 87U has a sturdy fixed cable with a 3 path grommet, the Novatouch uses a nice removable micro usb cable. Despite its convenience, I always feel that removable cables introduce more break points. This isn’t really anything to dwell on though. So far, so good. This is definitely a noticeable improvement over some of the older CM storm keyboards. The overcall case and board feels solid.

The standard keys are ABS. Although I feel the logo and branding does the premier image a slight injustice, these keycaps are particularly egregious and betray the premium image the Novatouch. I know the Novatouch is designed for enthusiast that hoard aftermarket keycaps like survivalists that hoard supplies in their underground bunkers in the face of an imminently not-occurring apocalypse but still common make these keycaps cleaner.

At this point, I’m looking at my Realforce 87U which a nice but industrial looking board. It gives a sublime, premium experience straight out the box and it comes with topre keycaps (which are overall some of the nicest caps you can get … except for the abs spacebar). The Novatouch is probably feeling a bit underwhelming at this point. Well, despite how great topre keycaps are, it’s not easy to obtain a replacement set and most aftermarket topre keysets aren’t being produced anymore. I’d love a nice set of blank red topre keycaps but I can’t find that anywhere. That’s where the Novatouch starts to shine.
Putting thicker PBT keys on the Novatouch makes quite a big difference. It provides the Novatouch with a steady typing experience that the ABS keys simply don’t provide. Typing with the thicker pbt keys gives a similar feeling to typing on my Realforce 87U. The Novatouch still sounds a bit louder and I would probably still give my Realforce 87U a slight edge over the Novatouch in terms of feeling. I think this probably because the Realforce 87U is heavier, heftier and just feels more solid. The 87U is also bigger though.

There’s pro/cons and tradeoffs between the 87U and Novatouch.  Arguable the perceptible quality of the 87U is a bit higher than the Novatouch. I feel that despite how industrious it looks, the Realforce 87U is still more refined and nuanced than the Novatouch.

As many of you expected, the RF 87U offers a better out of the box experience and the Novatouch offers you the Topre experience with your keycap collection that you've slowly built up across the years. I wouldn't say the Novatouch is more "future-proof" because it accepts cherry mx stems - there's simply no such thing as future proofing a keyboard. There's always going to a nice new custom keyboard or an interesting new release that will simply tip over your lack of self control.

I think I also forgot to mention that the Novatouch only takes keycaps with the cherry mx stem and not Topre keycaps but you probably already knew that anyways

If you're on a budget or you simply aren't into changing keycaps then the RF 87U is probably a better bet for you. If you've already wasted enough money on keycaps that are just taking up space then they now have a new home in the Novatouch.

The Topre industry has been relatively stagnant. For better or worse, we’ve been stuck with HHKB and Realforce. Leopold also has the 660C and Noppoo has some sort of capacitive switch model. Despite its relatively minor shortcomings (which I would probably attribute to corporate, bureaucratic meddling), nothing has made quite an impact on the Topre world as the Novatouch.
The Novatouch certainly holds its own and now that you can’t complain about the lack of Topre Keycap availability – Topre’s back baby and you should buy one!

Rant time
I always characterize Cooler Master as kind of a bang-for-the buck kind of company. You get good quality for your money’s worth.  They’ve never really had the reputation as a Titleist of anything they offer. Speaking of which I tried the new Titleist blades and I think Titleist has finally reached Mizuno level of forged blade perfection.
Anyways, for PC cases:
If you want a nice elegant aluminum case, you get a Lian Li.
If you want to break your wallet you get a Caselabs.

If you want something that doesn’t break your wallet, not truly exceptional but is good bang for your buck you get a Cooler Master
Cooler Master is known for quickly implementing new designs (especially if you consider how Lian Li has been stagnant for the past 3 years or so).  Cooler Master cases always reflect modern designs. If you tinker around with your PC you’ll really appreciate how their motherboard cutout is always current and there’s a lot of tiny things that Cooler Master implements correctly to make your cable management experience better. They also have tool-less hard drive bays and things like that. I remember the tool-less hard drive bays were really flimsy and hard to use. I ended up breaking a few of them trying to get my hard drive to “snap in”. These are kind of missed opportunities in what would otherwise be an exceptional steel PC case. It’s annoying certainly, but you don’t mind as much when you know you aren’t paying top dollar.

It’s a different story for the Novatouch because you are paying top dollar for this keyboard. The Novatouch unfortunately really reflects that aspect of Cooler Master and I think it’s a bit of a missed opportunity. I’m really inclined to blame bureaucracy or marketing people because Cooler Master always ends up showcasing a really nice product but then when it’s finally released it ends up as something else which has a diminished premium value.
It’s a missed opportunity.

Thorpie
I also wanted to talk about Topre.

Topre’s always has been synonymous with high quality and it’s been put on a pedestal over cherry mx.  I personally don’t feel that is undeserved.

Some common criticisms of Topre:
•   It feels like a rubber dome.
•   It has a weird tactile bump that most people can’t gauge or get used to.
•   It’s boring.

If you're somehow still reading this, I'm 100% sure this will be the part where I lose you

I liken Topre to wine tasting. When you start out, it all tastes awful and it all tastes the same. It’s expensive, it takes some time to pick up and understand. Often times you need to try various wines first before you can really appreciate what separates a good wine from the rest.

Appreciating higher standards is something very difficult.

Like wine, some people can inherently differentiate between a good wine and a bad one. Some people can’t. Ignorant people think it’s all the same. That’s something similar to keyboards. Some people think a rubber dome, mechanical or topre is all the same. Other people think Topre feels too similar to a rubber dome. Some people type slowly, some people touch type.
Your mind fools itself. I’m sure you’ve experienced something similar to this. You have some friends over that have never used a mechanical keyboard. They’ll use your keyboard and some of them will immediately realize the difference and others will think they’re typing on a regular, old keyboard until you point it out or show them a rubber dome with a mechanical side by side. It’s very odd but enlightening to see. Your mind does play tricks on you.

If you’ve tried Topre in the past and you’ve felt that it wasn’t for you. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to revisit. You might have tried it too early without developing a proper base-line first. Your tastes evolve and you might pick up on some subtleties that you wouldn’t have appreciated before.

Of course, just like how wines need to be properly paired with food, if you have particular needs and Topre doesn’t fit the bill don’t force yourself to like it.
I will say though, Topre isn't optimal for gaming.

Thanks for reading!
I really to go pack now. San Diego here I come!
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 October 2014, 03:34:17 by the1onewolf »

Offline keyhopper

• Fun is Key.
Re: Cooler Master Novatouch vs Realforce 87U and some other things.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 12:57:56 »

[...]
I liken Topre to wine tasting. When you start out, it all tastes awful and it all tastes the same. It’s expensive, it takes some time to pick up and understand. Often times you need to try various wines first before you can really appreciate what separates a good wine from the rest.

[...]

Such great review. It didn't need pictures to express what others have missed. Thank you.

About the novatouch, I think it would have been a totally different product, and perceived completely different, if the price was 150usd.
Maybe it will get there in the future?
I think that, ~ 150usd or less is the right price for a topre keyboard that doesn't reach its premium potential until the ABS caps are replaced by PBT.

Your excelently written review makes me feel better about my purchase: a RealForce 55g that was already on the way. Yes, I found a shop here in Buenos Aires that is able to import this keyboard after buying it from EK. I don't even want to mention how high they are charging me for the importing & taxes, but I think it will be worth it.

This review has answered to me the question: If I had money and time to spend on only one more keyboard for the rest of this year, should it be the Realforce or the Novatouch? Would I miss anything?. Though I already ordered the Realforce prior to reading this review, it was very hard for me to make a decision based on already existing reviews of the Novatouch; which I read so eagerly once it finally came out. What mostly made my decision to go Realforce 55g was the relentless praise that hypersphere and others have for its switches, and how 55g is the real topre. And the proportion of people that went for 45g that had buyers regret, though as you mentioned, it might be that appreciating 45g topre is more subtle. I especially liked reading a thread by hypersphere about the Topre force curve (collapsing after a point, like BS, instead of a linear increase of force as in Cherry). I expect that my fingers will have no problem with the high switch force, since I can type ~ 100wpm on a Model M. Such good meaty content and observations are the stuff of great reviews, which one misses on common tech reviewers.

If I like the Realforce, I might go for a Novatouch next year, depending on how its price evolves, and on whether I can also order my first PBT key cap set easily from Buenos Aires, and whether I want 45g or a if the Novatouch comes out with 55g too. Who knows what next year will bring though.

Now, back to being anxious about how oneness with cup rubber will be like. The RF should arrive here some time during next week!

Thanks for an enjoyable read!! :-)
Cheers!
.KeyHopper.

RealForce 87UB 55gr    |    IBM Model M (1995)    |    Razer B.W.T.E. Stealth (w Razer oranges)

Offline Veridis

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 07:44:49 »
Great review! I agree about your thoughts about Cooler Master. Their entry level to mid range products are really value for money, but somehow their high end stuff feel like they lack something.
I've also bought the Novatouch. Wish it was a little cheaper, since it came with ABS keycaps and has no LEDs at all.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 12:28:19 »
That was a good read, no regrets! I'm kinda balancing between RF 88UB 45g and CM Novatouch. What annoys me with the most with the Novatouch is that you have to buy a PBT set which adds almost 60€ to the price of the already expensive board.

Too hard to decide but I feel like I'm heading to the RF :)

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline telegraphist

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 15:58:07 »
That was a good read, no regrets! I'm kinda balancing between RF 88UB 45g and CM Novatouch. What annoys me with the most with the Novatouch is that you have to buy a PBT set which adds almost 60€ to the price of the already expensive board.
Good point, Ngt. And don't forget: it's louder and you can't soften its bottoming-out impact with the O-rings. Included O-rings are useless. Improving all this will require a fair amount of careful tinkering.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 02:04:04 »
Good point, Ngt. And don't forget: it's louder and you can't soften its bottoming-out impact with the O-rings. Included O-rings are useless. Improving all this will require a fair amount of careful tinkering.
Well after some time, some discussions and information that I didn't have I'm more thinking about the Novatouch.

The RF costs $300 in Europe without the shipping fees (keyboardco.com).

The Novatouch costs $220 here. You can get a nice PBT set of your choice for $70 shipped. It sets the price of the board at $290 but with a level of customization that you don't have on a RF. Considering there are less Topre keycaps set than cherry MX set and they are way more expensive.

The only problem remaining would be the upstroke sound. If it bothers me I could still perform a DIY silencing mod which could be my first mod ever.

Regarding the O-ring they are useful for non-stock keycaps but for the stock they are useful only for the space bar.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 December 2014, 02:06:47 by Ngt »

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 11:10:00 »

Like wine, some people can inherently differentiate between a good wine and a bad one. Some people can’t. Ignorant people think it’s all the same. That’s something similar to keyboards. Some people think a rubber dome, mechanical or topre is all the same. Other people think Topre feels too similar to a rubber dome. Some people type slowly, some people touch type.
Your mind fools itself. I’m sure you’ve experienced something similar to this. You have some friends over that have never used a mechanical keyboard. They’ll use your keyboard and some of them will immediately realize the difference and others will think they’re typing on a regular, old keyboard until you point it out or show them a rubber dome with a mechanical side by side. It’s very odd but enlightening to see. Your mind does play tricks on you.

If you’ve tried Topre in the past and you’ve felt that it wasn’t for you. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to revisit. You might have tried it too early without developing a proper base-line first. Your tastes evolve and you might pick up on some subtleties that you wouldn’t have appreciated before.

Of course, just like how wines need to be properly paired with food, if you have particular needs and Topre doesn’t fit the bill don’t force yourself to like it.

Thanks for reading!

Just read this review for the first time.  All I have to say is once you feel the click, you know what to pick.   Basically, I'm saying the clicky keyboard is the finest of wines.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline telegraphist

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 14:02:40 »
The reason I have bought Novatouch is the ability to switch caps and ability to experience the topre switches first hand.
The reason I have sold my Novatouch is that I like my boards quiet. I also like a feel of soft impact of bottoming-out with o-rings installed, and I absolutely hate the audible rattling of the innards of the spacebar and modifiers in the Novatouch board. Improving all these required considerable amount of careful tinkering and purchasing materials like the best EPDM rubber sheet, a puncher, a specialty EPDM rubber glue for the best possible mod (after the extensive research I realized that a simple "dental bands" mod isn't the best solution possible), e.t.c., which I wasn't up to.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 December 2014, 14:06:14 by telegraphist »

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 17:45:26 »
The reason I have bought Novatouch is the ability to switch caps and ability to experience the topre switches first hand.
The reason I have sold my Novatouch is that I like my boards quiet. I also like a feel of soft impact of bottoming-out with o-rings installed, and I absolutely hate the audible rattling of the innards of the spacebar and modifiers in the Novatouch board. Improving all these required considerable amount of careful tinkering and purchasing materials like the best EPDM rubber sheet, a puncher, a specialty EPDM rubber glue for the best possible mod (after the extensive research I realized that a simple "dental bands" mod isn't the best solution possible), e.t.c., which I wasn't up to.
Do you have links to the mods you are referring to? I'd be interested to learn about it.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 19:02:17 »
I have both, the NT and RF (87ub 55g). The NT is back in its box on the shelf, and I am typing on my RF. I bring the NT out occasionally when I want to type on the nice dye-sub PBT keycaps I got for it. I actually got an additional set for my RF, but the Topre keycaps are ideally tuned for the RF keyboard. With the NT, there always seemed to be a bit of a mismatch. The switch weight on the NT is also a bit too light for me -- it seems lighter than my HHKB Pro 2 or RF 87u 45g.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 21:19:43 »
I've read so many different point of view on the NT. Some think it feels heavier than a RF 45g and other don't. Some think he needs badly to be modded for it to reach his max potential. I think I'll just have to give it a try for myself as this hobby is so much  subjective.

Offline telegraphist

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 16:44:33 »
Do you have links to the mods you are referring to? I'd be interested to learn about it.
Here are about 1/10-th of the links I have dug up, while researching for a possible mod, hope they could be of help to anyone more adventurous :D than me.
http://www.geocities.co.jp/kousaku_situ/silent_realforce/srf-pata1.html (Chrome browser acceptably well translates this Japanese page)
http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-LB132/Light-Baffle-03125--132.aspx
http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C-411/Cutting-Tools.aspx
http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C-406/Hole-Punches.aspx
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34972.0
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/hhkp-pro-jp-variable-force-silencing-mods-t5196.html
http://imgur.com/a/8vnHb
http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/did-a-silence-mod-on-my-topre-88ub-t5955.html
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40465.30
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53990.0#post_dim
http://www.amazon.com/Sheet-Adhesive-Backed-Black-Length-Durometer/dp/B00CCGW2B0/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1413066956&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KE17JO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_2?rh=n%3A16310091%2Cn%3A%2116310161%2Cn%3A16310191%2Cn%3A350666011%2Cn%3A6469763011&bbn=350666011&ie=UTF8&qid=1412507546&rnid=350666011

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 12:06:43 »
I used a Novatouch TKL as my daily driver home keyboard for about three months. Vortex thick PBT key caps made a huge difference in terms of sound. I really enjoyed the smooth key action. In the end I ditched it as they keys were not nearly as tactile as Cherry MX Clears or the Model M. I'd love to try the 55g Topre switches at some point.

The Novatouch TKL uses Noppoo switches. If you look on say aliexpress.com you can find Noppoo branded 108 key keyboards for about $150 shipped to the US. If you are just looking to harvest the sliders for other projects maybe that is the way to go.

I wrote a review on Amazon where I lambasted the keyboard's flaky firmware. From http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00MY3S288/ :

Works fine as a keyboard. The tactile feedback is not as much as Cherry MX Clear switches and is somewhat less than I was expecting. The included ABS key caps are mediocre. I've replaced my keycaps with thick PBT keycaps and the keyboard is much more pleasant to type on. I wish a 55g version of this keyboard existed. It uses Noppoo key switches.

I do find that the keys have no resistance other than the rubber domes and conical springs. There is no slider motion so the key presses are perfectly smooth, not gritty or rough at all.

Some systems will have trouble using this keyboard in their BIOS screen. I need to keep another keyboard around.

Sometimes the keyboard doesn't wake from sleep correctly. I need to unplug it and plug it back in. Seems like a crashed firmware to me.

N-key rollover only works with Windows. That's awful, possibly some driver hack. Cooler Master needs to explain what tricks they do to enable N-key rollover so that it is supported on Linux and Mac and Android.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 12:57:07 »
I have used my NT with stock ABS for a few days and today I just equipped it with thick Leopold PBT. I must confess that it changes the sound and the feel of the board. I like it more that way. Next mod will be a silencing mod and then I'm good as is I think.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 02:55:12 »
Works fine as a keyboard. The tactile feedback is not as much as Cherry MX Clear switches and is somewhat less than I was expecting. The included ABS key caps are mediocre. I've replaced my keycaps with thick PBT keycaps and the keyboard is much more pleasant to type on. I wish a 55g version of this keyboard existed. It uses Noppoo key switches.

I do find that the keys have no resistance other than the rubber domes and conical springs. There is no slider motion so the key presses are perfectly smooth, not gritty or rough at all.

Some systems will have trouble using this keyboard in their BIOS screen. I need to keep another keyboard around.

Sometimes the keyboard doesn't wake from sleep correctly. I need to unplug it and plug it back in. Seems like a crashed firmware to me.

Just installed Brand New GMK Dolch's onto the Novatouch TKL keyboard (thank you Ivan) and it definitely sounds better.  YES the 45g weight of the thorpie switches are somewhat disappointing (use to operating Grey and Green MX Cherry's) wish they would of used 55g for the gamer out there demanding a responsive setup.

It's fine for normal speed-typers because the layout is traditional and very easy to cover the whole keyboard surface with your fingers (mine are gorilla like in nature).  The feedback on the keys are almost the same as my Realforce keyboards nothing too different there, but still doesn't come close to the 55g Anniversary model (God's Keybaord).   Still the finish is nice and better than most of CoolerMaster's products and I've never had any problems putting the PC to sleep and waking it again, no problems for me here.

Maybe we all here have gotten use to the Realforce and HHKB models and it's easy to make cheap comparisons about finish and implementation, considering this is CoolerMaster's first foray into the Thorpie dominion, they've done quite well releasing a decent TKL with no vegas-styled lighting to blind people with.  All thorpie's need to establish the basic minimum and that is a firm implementation of this type of keyboard technology using springs and silicone domes, with nothing else required.

The BEST thing of all is to use some new GMK key-sets to further lift this keyboard above the basic benchmark of perfection :thumb: .

Offline jabbon

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 03:48:55 »
great information here!

Thanks guys for the nice reviews.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 05:44:03 »

Thanks for reading!

Just read this review for the first time.  All I have to say is once you feel the click, you know what to pick.   Basically, I'm saying the clicky keyboard is the finest of wines.

That is until your tastes change :P