Author Topic: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Update: GB Date Oct 6th. Pricing Announced! [10/1/20]  (Read 129996 times)

Offline Owl

Group Buy: October 6th

About the set |

For many of us, the rain has a strong influence on how we think and feel. Each person can feel something profoundly
different than the other; Relaxation, a clear mind, subtle sadness, dramatic nostalgia, or utter hopelessness. GMK Rainy Days
is a dedication to these feelings. I wanted to design a set that not only had a theme, but a strong and dramatic mood and atmosphere.

My inspiration for this set comes from two main sources. The rain, of course, and brutalist/oppressive architecture and the
dramatic role it plays in how we interpret and reflect. The stark presence of raw or bare material making up the world we live in.
From buildings to bridges to the streetlights that are always watching us. I have always felt like props stand out as monoliths when
we find ourselves engulfed by the cool overcast air, thinking about a memory, a loved one, or the uncertainty of the future.

Thank you for taking the time to read and review my work and I welcome all criticism you can offer.

Kits |

Base

Sidewalks

Hangul

Petrichor

Colors |

(Direct natural lighting)

Desk Mats |

Streetlight:

Concrete:

Renders |
By Abec13

Group Buy: October 6th

Vendors and Pricing |

Keycaps and Deskmats |
United States: Kono
Canada: DeskHero
Europe: CandyKeys
Asia: ZFrontier
Oceania: Daily Clack

Cables |
SwiftCables

Updates |

9/28/2020 - GB slated for October 6th. SwiftCables collaboration. I have the cable renders in hand but waiting to post them until I get a green light from SwiftCables. You can see them on the Discord though. The new Novelty Renders are being worked on as we speak and will be done VERY soon. Artisans will run at a later date.
7/30/2020 - GB slated for September. Artisans and Cables renders coming soon.
5/25/2020 - All vendors announced. GB coming soon!
5/25/2020 - Final kits and renders published. EU vendor announcement. Added keys to spacebar kit. 40's/Ortho Kit has been removed. Unpopular deskmats have been removed.
4/26/2020 - Made some small changes to the IC thread to clear up some questions about kits. Small changes to the base kit is being worked on. The big overhaul with new renders and vendors is coming soon.
2/08/2020 - New Desk Mat art ideas and finalization of kits. Please check out the new form here (Form Deleted)
2/01/2020 - Updated renders for the set. added keyboard renders. Colors are final. Work on first desk mat is about 40% done.
1/19/2020 - Added the 40's/Ortho kit. I also reached out to someone for renders so hopefully those are just around the corner!
1/19/2020 - I have added a google form to gauge preference for the languages and some other things. Check it out here! -> (Form Deleted)
1/18/2020 - IC thread started

Banner Link:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104278.0][img width=316 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/fwoejR1.png[/img][/url]

WEBSITES AND SOCIAL MEDIA

« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2020, 01:11:37 by Owl »

Offline Scottw

• ScottW's Boards
Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day - Early Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:04:12 »
I like where you are going and I am definitely interested.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:05:54 »
Yeah. Me too. Like the blue

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Eipplepod

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:10:51 »
Any chance you are going with ISO layout and an international kit for DE and other languages?

Offline Kotahh

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:16:26 »
If you haven't already thought about it, possibly some umbrellas or clouds would be cool for novelties.

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:17:58 »
Interesting

Offline Owl

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:18:40 »
Any chance you are going with ISO layout and an international kit for DE and other languages?

I think it should be perfectly feasible to add ISO support as most sets do these days. Not sure if it will go in the base kit or as an extra kit yet though. But you can expect it either way.

I can't say for certain on the other languages though. I started with Hangul as Korean is the language that I am attempting to learn off and on and the aesthetics of the characters fit really well with the set I believe. However if there is an overwhelming majority that wants something else I am absolutely open to making that change.

Offline Owl

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 13:19:38 »
If you haven't already thought about it, possibly some umbrellas or clouds would be cool for novelties.

I actually haven't. I really like the idea of the clouds. I will start mocking those up asap. Thank you!

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 14:44:13 »
If by 2020 you haven’t written a short story about the colors in a keyset and inspiration behind them.... you aren’t even relevant.

Offline octix

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 14:50:19 »
Loving the colors. Gl

Discord: octix#0478

Offline antx1701

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 15:08:58 »
Muted Dark? Love it.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 15:31:26 »
this is just Olivia but ____________.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 15:32:31 »
If by 2020 you haven’t written a short story about the colors in a keyset and inspiration behind them.... you aren’t even relevant.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 15:34:03 »
wow did you watch weathering with you as well?

wtb sunshine girl gf
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 16:48:18 »

wtb sunshine girl gf

why yes i did watch tenki no ko

Offline utsukishi

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 17:22:51 »

wtb sunshine girl gf

70% of the human body is made of h2o, but 100% of me wants 2 support this set

Offline LizbetKW

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 18:15:59 »
It rains a lot where I live. I love this set and your colors are spot on, please don't change them! That blue is perfect. I would definitely buy and orthos set and novelties. I love the raindrop novelties and support the addition of cloud novelties. Gimme a banner so I can add it to my posts!

Offline Owl

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 18:50:05 »
It rains a lot where I live. I love this set and your colors are spot on, please don't change them! That blue is perfect. I would definitely buy and orthos set and novelties. I love the raindrop novelties and support the addition of cloud novelties. Gimme a banner so I can add it to my posts!

Thank you so much for your feedback! I have added a banner to the IC post. I will also be adding a 40's/Ortho kit very soon. Thank you again for your support!

« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2020, 18:57:32 by Owl »

Offline Eipplepod

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 03:06:28 »

I think it should be perfectly feasible to add ISO support as most sets do these days. Not sure if it will go in the base kit or as an extra kit yet though. But you can expect it either way.

I can't say for certain on the other languages though. I started with Hangul as Korean is the language that I am attempting to learn off and on and the aesthetics of the characters fit really well with the set I believe. However if there is an overwhelming majority that wants something else I am absolutely open to making that change.
Think about making a google form to find out what sets people are willing to buy.

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 04:39:50 »
Reminds me of a grey Shoko

I like it :thumb:

Offline Aiwanei

• ThocKeys.com
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 11:23:46 »
GMK does better matching to RAL, have you looked into RAL matching the colors over Pantone?  Overall I like the look of the set.
ThocKeys.com

Offline Owl

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 14:41:02 »
GMK does better matching to RAL, have you looked into RAL matching the colors over Pantone?  Overall I like the look of the set.

I did look at RAL and found that they were way off to my original colors. I am not sure if there is a way to get a custom color made in matched RAL form though.

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 15:42:41 »
Oooh, very pretty colors. I like this a lot.

Can't wait to see actual renders for this.

Offline trg1234

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 17:09:26 »
ngl, I was kind of dismissive initially, but now I'm really curious to see how the renders look. Also for the hangul, I recommend adding the won pipe key.

Offline BouncyChillups

• Formerly PleasantChaos
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 17:20:41 »
I'm kinda intrigued, looks interesting. Definitely following this

Offline ullr

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 17:59:27 »
Set doesn't really interest me but I love the album the cover of which you made your profile photo so support! 👍

Offline Owl

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 18:02:45 »
Set doesn't really interest me but I love the album the cover of which you made your profile photo so support! 👍

WOW I never thought I would meet another fan! You have my support with whatever you do as well haha. Cheers!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 19 January 2020, 19:06:48 »
Interesting colorway, almost like darkened Shoko.

Maybe take a look at the "Cool Gray" series of Pantone colors. They might be nice for the modifier keys.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 12:06:15 »
Very much interested!

Offline eggplant-chan-

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 12:49:22 »
Don't forget a version of F and J with homing bumps. I think there's normally a homing key on numpad too

Offline eggplant-chan-

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 12:55:39 »
Don't forget a version of F and J with homing bumps. I think there's normally a homing key on numpad too
Same for hangul version too.

Offline ymaaan

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 10:40:21 »
Interested as well!

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 11:09:39 »
Nice, I really like the base colors & the slightly blueish accent plays surprisingly well with it all! This is definitely a set I'd be interested in.

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 12:12:47 »
Nice, I really like the base colors & the slightly blueish accent plays surprisingly well with it all! This is definitely a set I'd be interested in.

+1

Really diggin the cool blue/grey tone of this set. I'd definitely be in on this.

Offline Owl

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 18:23:01 »
Thank you all so much for your honest feedback and support. I am reading every single one of your comments and reviewing the polls in the google form every day to make sure that this set is a unique addition to the GMK family and a success. I am going to make sure to the best of my ability that the original colors for this set stay so that the atmosphere and vision stays rich and accurate. While this may effect pricing and time to GB, I feel it is absolutely neccassary to make this set one of a kind.

The professional renders are coming soon. I am reaching out to several people still and working with their schedules and pricing but they are on the way.

The novelties are still a work in progress and are not final. I feel like a vast majority of you had a lot of positive things to say about the colors and the kits but the novelties still need that polish to ensure that they provide their own weight of thematic support for the set. So I will hold off on rendering those until I feel like I have a final revision for the novelties that I and the community are really excited about. There is a good chance that I may make quite a few more and create a poll to decide what direction the novelty kit goes.

Thanks again for making this so rewarding and exciting for me so far.

Offline LizbetKW

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 23:43:10 »
Yay! so excited for it!

Offline huey

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 05:27:07 »
I really like these colours and the tone, a set like this has some real potential to become a hit. But there are some niggles.

Here are a few things that bother me though:
 - The miss-match in the KLE to the render is quite bad, and shouldn't happen. People are going to get confused are will make more work for you than needed.
 - Please consider putting full UK ISO in there. For the sake of 3 more 1u keys, the UK crowd would be grateful if you did.
 - Getting good renders done early would have complete this IC more for me and given much more creative room to show off the set (and novelties). I understand that you are getting them done but this IC could have carried so much weight and attention with them right of the gate.

Other than that, it's a great set and good luck with running because I'm sure Vendors will jump on this! GL

Offline Owl

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 12:54:01 »
I really like these colours and the tone, a set like this has some real potential to become a hit. But there are some niggles.

Here are a few things that bother me though:
 - The miss-match in the KLE to the render is quite bad, and shouldn't happen. People are going to get confused are will make more work for you than needed.
 - Please consider putting full UK ISO in there. For the sake of 3 more 1u keys, the UK crowd would be grateful if you did.
 - Getting good renders done early would have complete this IC more for me and given much more creative room to show off the set (and novelties). I understand that you are getting them done but this IC could have carried so much weight and attention with them right of the gate.

Other than that, it's a great set and good luck with running because I'm sure Vendors will jump on this! GL

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. I have updated the IC and polished it a bit more to avoid that confusion. I also do intend to have full UK ISO support. it's not in the current base kit render, as I have not yet decided if it will be in the base kit or a separate kit. But it will be there either way.

Offline kontradictions

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | New Renders [Update: 2/1/20]
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 18:49:41 »
I am loving everything about this kit. Definitely in!

Offline irneb

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 08:25:50 »
Really like this

Happy to see that hangul alphas are getting some love
Current thigns: KFE, Whale, Fallacy, GSKT-00

Offline konstanz_

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 01:18:42 »
i really like it but wish it were dsa or kat

also hangul is really appreciated!

Offline thejuicebox

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 01:29:09 »
I love the Hangul as well!! Alternative novelties with maybe a poll could be nice, unless novelties are final already!

Offline Kiba

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 02:30:52 »
As a pluviophile, this is right up my alley. Great choice of colours, eagerly waiting a mat design.

Keep it up!

Offline CrazyNun

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 04:03:24 »
I like this alot.  Pixel melancholia

Offline thejuicebox

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 22:18:56 »
Gosh i hope this set takes off, having Hangul on the checklist makes it so hard to pick my first GMK set out! Godspeed to Rainy Day!!

Offline aodaliya1234

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 09:43:25 »
Add a bench next to a street lamp as a novlties enter kit would match this theme really well in my opinion (I'm in love with the inspiration behind this set as well as how it looks now btw). Question tho, is it intentional that the novelties are done in pixel art style?

Offline Owl

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 18:32:09 »
Add a bench next to a street lamp as a novlties enter kit would match this theme really well in my opinion (I'm in love with the inspiration behind this set as well as how it looks now btw). Question tho, is it intentional that the novelties are done in pixel art style?

Glad you like it! to answer your question, no it was not intentionally done that way. I sort of just screencapped keys from KLE and drew on them. I intend to update them to be like actual images as no other parts of the set have pixel themes to them.

Also I like your idea and will definitely mock something up to add to the kit. I intend to make quite a few and have them narrowed down via a poll or something. Same with desk mats (which are very close to done. will probably update the thread in a week or two with the freshly drawn novelties and the mats and new polls.)

Offline aodaliya1234

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 19:55:26 »

Glad you like it! to answer your question, no it was not intentionally done that way. I sort of just screencapped keys from KLE and drew on them. I intend to update them to be like actual images as no other parts of the set have pixel themes to them.

Also I like your idea and will definitely mock something up to add to the kit. I intend to make quite a few and have them narrowed down via a poll or something. Same with desk mats (which are very close to done. will probably update the thread in a week or two with the freshly drawn novelties and the mats and new polls.)

Excited for deskmats for sure, I have too many kits already so I've resorted to buying mats or novelties from kits that I really like and this could be the next one hahaha

Offline thejuicebox

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Desk Mats and Kit Changes [Update: 2/8/20]
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 22:29:26 »
COUNT ME IN ON THE MATS!!  whewww so pumped for this update, sexy city hangul GMK pls....

Offline Top Right Logo

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 23:04:48 »
Deskmats are an INSTANT COP

Offline alanskiii

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 02:56:52 »
Those desk mats! You got me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Scriba

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 03:17:13 »
The render on the accent keycaps is pretty bad. But I like the accent colour in general.

Norde/Int kit would be nice.

Offline yuuS0cut3

• Stay young
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 09:47:04 »
Please consider adding a 1,75u R3 Control. Also I think 1,5u Delete is better than 1,5u Backspace  :)

Offline aodaliya1234

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 21:36:55 »
im loving the vibe man!! so in

Offline ghillan

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 02:51:55 »
Your renders shows 2 pairs of F-J keys, but none of then have bumps. It's that intended? ( usually, one pair is with and the other without bumps )

Offline Owl

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 03:48:50 »
Your renders shows 2 pairs of F-J keys, but none of then have bumps. It's that intended? ( usually, one pair is with and the other without bumps )

This is not intentional. One of the pairs should have bumps. There have been a few hiccups/inconsistencies with the render service I am using. It's an awesome service and I highly recommend it but I will still be looking to a render specialist for more finalized renders.

To address everyone else. Thank you so much for the support and enthusiasm towards the set. I am still working on finalizing the polished versions of the novelties and getting them and the rest rendered by an artist so that it is all consistent and a little more polished looking.

The google forms help out a lot so and I have gotten some great feedback and insight from them which helps me keep the focus of the set. Thank you for filling those out.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 23:25:40 »
The entire Sidewalks kit and all blanks in 40's|Ortho kit will be convex, right?  GMK has convex tooling for all those sizes.

Offline Owl

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 17:03:59 »
The entire Sidewalks kit and all blanks in 40's|Ortho kit will be convex, right?  GMK has convex tooling for all those sizes.

That is correct they will be properly convex just like any other GMK set. That representation is another limitation of the render service that I used. I am still looking for someone to do all of my renders so that they are more polished and hope to have those added ASAP to relieve some of the confusion that my current renders are causing. Right now most of the people I want to hire are booked or are on vacation so I don't have an estimated ETA on arrival for those renders.

Offline despairsray

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 19:53:10 »
This is probably my favorite upcoming GMK in IC. I especially love the deskmats, definitely in.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 03:46:24 »
Very interested. Thank you for the 한글 kit!

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline BrendanB02

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 23:23:37 »
I really like this!!

Offline amarotea

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 00:04:50 »
Wow the streetlight desk mat is really lovely.

Offline Hanabi

• Falling into a black hole.
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 00:16:49 »
Really like the "feel" from the keycaps.

Offline Dumble_Hub

• Lets Go Bills!!!
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 01:16:36 »
Love the mood of this set, reminds me of a midnight walk home.

Consider me interested.

Offline huey

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 04:38:25 »
Hey man, I'm glad to see that this set is coming together. The updates you have put into it are looking promising, and thank you for putting UK ISO in the base kit. But I do have some more nitpicks to throw your way.

- The colours selected are all hex codes. It's probably in your best interest to take a look at GMKs' stock colours, RAL colours or at least Pantones and see how these colours translate. I'm pretty sure that GMK will turn away hex codes.
- The deskmat ideas aren't bad so far. But I do think a more minimal design is not only better suited to this set, but it would be more popular design language over something a bit more complex (I might be bias to this ;D).

« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2020, 04:40:29 by huey »

Offline Owl

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 06:36:34 »
Hey man, I'm glad to see that this set is coming together. The updates you have put into it are looking promising, and thank you for putting UK ISO in the base kit. But I do have some more nitpicks to throw your way.

- The colours selected are all hex codes. It's probably in your best interest to take a look at GMKs' stock colours, RAL colours or at least Pantones and see how these colours translate. I'm pretty sure that GMK will turn away hex codes.
- The deskmat ideas aren't bad so far. But I do think a more minimal design is not only better suited to this set, but it would be more popular design language over something a bit more complex (I might be bias to this ;D).

Thank you for following the set through its changes. Don't worry, there is a big update coming very soon to you guys with the final colors in Pantone form, new professional and accurate renders from a well respected and talented artist, polished novelties, the whole kit and kaboodle. I can't give an ETA just yet as I have a few loose ends to wrap up but it is absolutely coming. Thank you all again.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 12:50:42 »
I completely forgot about this!
Will be waiting on the updates and will be getting a couple of sets at least.

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 00:01:28 »
Loving what I see so far!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 05:05:40 »
Hey there, not sure if this has been mentioned before, but consider dropping the R1 1u mod-colored \|, it isn't really necessary (the alpha-colored one is sufficient). Furthermore, you could also drop the numpad 00 key, since you don't see it used very often nowadays (except as an Alice B replacement, but you already have that covered).

Also, please consider adding R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn for us 65% and 75% users. I think HHKB users would also appreciate the addition of a R3 1.75u Control key.

Some legend suggestions: use Control instead of Ctrl, System/Sys or Super instead of Win, and Fn instead of Menu. You can change Num↲Lock to Num, Scroll↲Lock to Scroll, and Caps↲Lock (stepped) to Caps if you want all of the legends in the set to be single-line; it might look cleaner this way.

Offline Owl

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 11:38:14 »
Hey there, not sure if this has been mentioned before, but consider dropping the R1 1u mod-colored \|, it isn't really necessary (the alpha-colored one is sufficient). Furthermore, you could also drop the numpad 00 key, since you don't see it used very often nowadays (except as an Alice B replacement, but you already have that covered).

Also, please consider adding R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn for us 65% and 75% users. I think HHKB users would also appreciate the addition of a R3 1.75u Control key.

Some legend suggestions: use Control instead of Ctrl, System/Sys or Super instead of Win, and Fn instead of Menu. You can change Num↲Lock to Num, Scroll↲Lock to Scroll, and Caps↲Lock (stepped) to Caps if you want all of the legends in the set to be single-line; it might look cleaner this way.

Thank you for the feedback. These are some good ideas. I am going to keep the \| mod color as I personally love having that in mod color for that cradled alpha look. But I think you're right in that I could get away with dropping the 00 key.

I will absolutely take a look at adding R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn as I am a 75% lover myself. Not sure how I missed that.

as for the legends, the final renders are in queue with an artist right now and they will be cleaned up to have control, super, ect.

I apologize for the confusion that the current renders are causing everyone right now. The polished versions are in the works and there will be a big overhaul to this thread once they are done that I feel very proud about and think you guys will like a lot. Thank you for continuing to check in while we wait for that update. It means quite a bit to me.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 11:40:41 »
I really like this color scheme. Been rainy here for weeks, and I can confirm it's a perfect match.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 12:18:40 »
Will you add the | ₩ key in the Hangul kit?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 14:58:34 »
Thank you for the feedback. These are some good ideas. I am going to keep the \| mod color as I personally love having that in mod color for that cradled alpha look. But I think you're right in that I could get away with dropping the 00 key.

I will absolutely take a look at adding R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn as I am a 75% lover myself. Not sure how I missed that.

as for the legends, the final renders are in queue with an artist right now and they will be cleaned up to have control, super, ect.

I apologize for the confusion that the current renders are causing everyone right now. The polished versions are in the works and there will be a big overhaul to this thread once they are done that I feel very proud about and think you guys will like a lot. Thank you for continuing to check in while we wait for that update. It means quite a bit to me.

Alright, great. Just to make sure we're on the same page, I was talking talking about the mod-colored R1 1u \|, not the R2 1.5u one. The latter should stay in the kit of course, but the R1 1u isn't needed because if you're using split Backspace and want a mod-colored cap in the top-right corner, you're going to use `~ (at least that's what most people do).

Is R3 1.75u Control also something you're going to add (Caps replacement for HHKB users)?

Offline Owl

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 16:39:22 »

Alright, great. Just to make sure we're on the same page, I was talking talking about the mod-colored R1 1u \|, not the R2 1.5u one. The latter should stay in the kit of course, but the R1 1u isn't needed because if you're using split Backspace and want a mod-colored cap in the top-right corner, you're going to use `~ (at least that's what most people do).

Show Image

Is R3 1.75u Control also something you're going to add (Caps replacement for HHKB users)?

Ah I see. Yeah you make a good point. I will probably take that out then unless a majority want that in (sounds like most people wont). I would like to keep the kits as condensed as possible to make the price accessible while still offering as much support as possible. As heads up, this goes for the novelties as well. I have taken out a few of the ones that felt "redundant" and left just a few to make it easier for people to get that one or 2 novelties that they want without paying a small fortune for just a few keys. I think most people would like to just accent their keyboard with novelties instead of having one for every slot. I will be working with my render artist as well to discuss further possible changes to the base kit as they have a lot of experience with kitting.  Thank you for your valuable feedback.

And yes I will add that control key for the HHKB users out there. Shouldn't be a problem. I may end up putting a KLE up with the To-Date changes until those final renders come

Also the Won key will also be in the Hangul kit. I will go ahead and update the IC with a KLE that represents that I think
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 April 2020, 16:42:10 by Owl »

Offline vurtomatic

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 16:53:39 »
Suggestion for desk mat: A minimal black background with some concentric circles of different thickness in your color palette to indicate ripples from raindrops.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 17:01:31 »
Thank you OP! Yeah, the KLE not showing that key threw me off a lot Haha.

Offline Owl

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 17:28:02 »
Suggestion for desk mat: A minimal black background with some concentric circles of different thickness in your color palette to indicate ripples from raindrops.

I think you are right on that. The streetlight and concrete ones, based on the google form, were very popular. Not sure if I will be able to run a third but if I can I will certainly mock up this idea and run it as I had thought about it before. I think I will just use the bridges for the box art as they weren't super popular at all as desk mats.

Thank you OP! Yeah, the KLE not showing that key threw me off a lot Haha.

I updated the KLE on the page. That is what I intend to add. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 April 2020, 17:34:15 by Owl »

Offline despairsray

If we are on the topic of deskmats, I really hope you keep streetlights. Digging that along with the entire set. I am glad that this is moving along, definitely in on day 1.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
I really really like this set.

But those colors are going to be extremely hard to match in plastic. Especially in Pantone since GMK only does RAL (european standard).

Also as much as I love those novelties, it won't be possible to make them the way they look now.
GMK has a limit on how fine lines are allowed to be and those are definitely too detailed.
You have to keep in mind that the legend has to be CNC machined into a metal mold.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 05:34:58 by elmo »

Offline KoyBoi

Keep coming back to check up and look at this set... My gf is especially looking forward to it!!
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2020, 11:06:36 by KoyBoi »

Offline KRY2SOON

• Divine Studios
Literally my favorite color!

Sent from my KitchenSmith by BELLA 2 Slice Toaster

Offline Owl

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | UPDATE: Vendors, Renders and Kits [5/25/20]
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 17:15:49 »
Thank you all for the continued support. I have just launched a large update on the thread that I hope you will all enjoy. I will continue working on this and get you guys info on collaborations as soon as they are finalized. Thank you.

Offline despairsray

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 17:38:35 »
glad to see this is happening. ETA on the GB? July - Sept?

Offline RIPTunaMan

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 18:52:19 »
Double checking to make sure I'm not just blind but this kit doesn't have a 1U shift in any of it's kits correct? Not a big deal since I can just use a novelty key in place of it either way. Excited for the GB and US vendor announcement.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2020, 18:54:49 by RIPTunaMan »

Offline Owl

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 18:56:01 »
Double checking to make sure I'm not just blind but this kit doesn't have a 1U spacebar in any of it's kits correct? Not a big deal since I can just use a novelty key in place of it either way. Excited for the GB and US vendor announcement.

that's correct. There is no 1U spacebar.

Offline RIPTunaMan

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 18:58:07 »
Sorry, I spaced out and typed "spacebar" instead of "shift", didn't edit my comment on time :/ Assuming the same goes for that. Probably going to be the first keycap set I buy besides the one I got with my board in the first place though, great work on this.

Offline Owl

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 19:01:10 »
Sorry, I spaced out and typed "spacebar" instead of "shift", didn't edit my comment on time :/ Assuming the same goes for that. Probably going to be the first keycap set I buy besides the one I got with my board in the first place though, great work on this.

Oh no worries lol. Yeah no 1U shift either but you could use the 1U Fn key from the base kit or the 1U umbrella from the novelties.

Offline Alpacacino

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 19:52:11 »
Definitely into this!  Would be nice to have a Canadian vendor like Deskhero as well!

Offline dydy124

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 20:01:28 »
Very interested. Looks real good.

Offline Hugs94

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 20:30:13 »
Very cool. glad theres no excessive kits.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 20:43:01 »
Gonna be tracking this one!

Offline KoyBoi

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 18:02:06 »
Is it just me or did the colors completely change from the previous renders?
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 18:05:56 by KoyBoi »

Offline Owl

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 18:33:09 »
Is it just me or did the colors completely change from the previous renders?

Same exact Pantones were used in both render versions. Admittedly, the first service was very "budget" and lacked more robust lighting. They also had a darker background which can make a big difference but comparing them side by side and taking into account lighting, they are pretty much the same.

Offline Owl

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 18:48:03 »
I have uploaded the Pantone chips that I have to the thread as well to compare to the renders. Note that the picture was taken with a phone in direct natural lighting. The colors in the palette are using the Pantone-provided HEX codes from their website.

Offline wil

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 19:33:17 »
as someone who did not like this when the IC launched, revisiting it now today i think it's a fantastic set!

Offline maximize

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 08:26:55 »
The colors are great  :thumb:, but the novelties really need some work.

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 09:48:36 »
Oh my god I want this

Offline Quinella

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 09:49:28 »
DC for Oceania vendor pls!

Offline alexkunnen

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 18:46:53 »
love it

Offline LemonyA

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 19:44:39 »
Love it! Well we get Canada vendor?

Offline zzkhan1996

« Reply #100 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 12:06:16 »
Zfrontier for Asia vendor please

Offline Bax

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 16:12:52 »
Nice, soothing theme.

Offline barneylover88

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 16:32:17 »
Would like to join in on this set! Can you consider going with a Canadian vendor like Deskhero? Thank you!

Offline jooobe

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 17:54:01 »
Whoa wait, the concrete deskmat got me hard

Offline youreyesonly

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 18:21:07 »
i like this set alot just not a fan of some of the novelties. the tree, light pole, bridge could be changed imo. Also the bottom of the clouds look weird to me. hope some tweaking of the novelties.  maybe a thunder bolt? idk just the ones i listed dont make sense.

Offline alexkunnen

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 15:00:22 »
I love it!

Offline Awayhugepickle

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 22:24:44 »
I love this set. Very curious to see where you go with the artisan keys and I'm definitely buying in.

Offline ghdals1997

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 22:42:06 »
nice simple korean :D

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 08:24:53 »
Have you considered reducing the number of ISO keys in the base kit to help lower the pricing?

Offline ymaaan

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 08:34:05 »
Ilumkb please for Asia!

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk

Offline kedayap

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 17:13:29 »
No Alpha colored pipe "|" key?

Offline TofuOrganic

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 17:20:12 »
Interested in this set :)

Any chance there will be an Oceanic vendor like Dailyclack or Switchkeys?

Offline Owl

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 19:12:47 »

Good eye. I will work on getting that fixed.

Offline kedayap

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 14:43:30 »

Oh and Alpha colored Tilda (~) key as well

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 19:28:37 »
Im so down for this! All the kits look great!

Looking forward to it running!

Offline DaangDavid

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 13:44:59 »
Deskmats, especially with the streelight, looks amazing. Will cop.

Offline Owl

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 20:08:59 »

Oh and Alpha colored Tilda (~) key as well

This has been fixed and the new base kit render has been updated. Thank you for your sharp eyes.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
That's a very comprehensive base kit. Looks good. I hope the pricing is going to be reasonable. Speaking of which, any idea of when you might announce the GB dates and it?

Offline Owl

That's a very comprehensive base kit. Looks good. I hope the pricing is going to be reasonable. Speaking of which, any idea of when you might announce the GB dates and it?

Still coordinating with vendors to get a date so nothing yet but the moment I do I will update the post.

Offline ilikerustoo

Looking forward to it!

Offline CoolMike

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
Absolutely love this keycap set. Someone else said it before but i'll say it again... it's so soothing and subtle yet just enough.

Good luck with IC/GB!

Mike

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
A Rama Cap In That Beautiful Blue Would be awesome  :))

Offline syke

subscribed

Offline Ninja_Lawyer

Been watching this one. Any idea when the NA group buy will kick off?

Offline Owl

Thank you all again for following this project. Final vendors have been announced and a date for the GB has been proposed. Not going to say until it's official but the date is for a time in the very near future. Stay tuned here and on Discord for updates.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
My wallet is ready!

Offline DaangDavid

Very interested in this.

Offline n.rdy

i dig this. not the biggest fan of the novelties but the colors and deskmats are beautiful. im looking forward to the gb

Offline lolafineday

Amazing, I'm in totally captured the melancholic feeling of a rainy day.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline maximize

No changes to novelties whatsoever?

Offline Owl

No changes to novelties whatsoever?

There are no plans to change anything right now. I am happy and comfortable with how everything turned out at this time.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
There are no plans to change anything right now. I am happy and comfortable with how everything turned out at this time.

You probably have to change the novelties. If you like it or not.

Like I said in an earlier comment: The lines on them are way too fine.
You have to keep in mind that for doubleshot keycaps every legend and symbol has to be CNC machined for the mold.
GMK has a minimum line width that they can machine and iirc that is around 0.8mm.
And from what I can tell the powerlines on those novelties are much much smaller than that.

Offline Owl

You probably have to change the novelties. If you like it or not.

Like I said in an earlier comment: The lines on them are way too fine.
You have to keep in mind that for doubleshot keycaps every legend and symbol has to be CNC machined for the mold.
GMK has a minimum line width that they can machine and iirc that is around 0.8mm.
And from what I can tell the powerlines on those novelties are much much smaller than that.

yeah I went over this with my render artist when I was finalizing the SVG's. Everything checked out as far as dimensions. The powerlines are 0.85mm thick and the bridge rails are 1.5mm thick. Abec is pretty particular and detail oriented about these sort of things and didn't see any issues but I will follow up with him and see if any modifications need to be done to ensure proper production.

Offline Hyphen

That streelight deskmat! I'm definitely in for that and the base.

Offline Owl

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | UPDATE: Group Buy in Spetember [7/10/20]
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 16:04:19 »
We are currently slated for a September group buy. Still working on a final date but I will keep you all posted as the info comes. Thanks again.

Offline Top Right Logo

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 22:09:35 »
Thanks for the update! Can't wait to go all in.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 23:15:25 »
Nice subtle set. Streetlight deskpad looks great, too.

Offline tempo

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 31 July 2020, 23:53:08 »
I'm definitely interested in this set!

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 02:00:37 »
Another clear set! However, i'll have to spend quite a few, base kit + Hangul + deskmat (concrete) which absolutely looks very stunning.

But this is going to be an expensive set. smh.

Offline goopsplash

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | UPDATE: Group Buy in Spetember [7/30/20]
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 02:34:29 »
Wow this looks really nice. Might be my first ever GMK set :)

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #140 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 02:54:37 »
2nd B ?

Offline Jsdfbn

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 13:07:50 »
This looks hella dope, can't wait to get in on this.

Offline solomonshv

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | UPDATE: Group Buy in September [7/30/20]
« Reply #142 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 17:18:18 »
god damn it, i'm already in 8 cap GBs, why are you doing this to me?!?!?!?!

yea.. i'll buy it. no rama or salvun caps?
Keebs::: Bok.CP - Antique Copper | Keycult No.2/65 Black/Brass | Keycult No.2 Rev 1 Grey/Brass | Jane V2 CE - Black/Multicolor | J-01 Rev1 - Blue | Haus - Silver | Kohaku - Red | OwLab Jelly Epoch - Ruby SE & Popcorn | KBD8X MKII WKL - Black PC | Ayleen WKL - Gin
Caps::: GMK Modo, GMK Jamon, GMK Olive, GMK Mizu, GMK Olivia++, GMK Bingsu, GMK Analog Dreams, GMK Botanical, GMK Moondust, GMK Taro R2, GMK Hennessey, GMK Serika R2, GMK Birch, GMK Tuzi, GMK Red Alert, GMK Zooted, GMK Hazakura, GMK Cyrillic Beige, GMK Lavender, GMK Daifuku, GMK November Fog, GMK Villanelle, GMK Blossom, DCS 9009 WYSE Alps

On order: GMK Tiramisu, GMK Maroon, GMK Bordeaux, GMK Taiga

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #143 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 18:14:25 »
Hope this set run doesnt end before october, I really want one but September hobby qouta is already planned :(((

Offline Owl

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 19:33:59 »

I am partnering with KeebWerk through CandyKeys for artisans. As soon as I get renders I will be sharing with everyone. Also still working on getting formal product info for the artisan cables that I am anxious to show you guys. All coming very soon.

Offline Awayhugepickle

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 19:36:02 »

I am partnering with KeebWerk through CandyKeys for artisans. As soon as I get renders I will be sharing with everyone. Also still working on getting formal product info for the artisan cables that I am anxious to show you guys. All coming very soon.

That's awesome news Owl! Can't wait to see what you've been working on!

Offline ansgarH

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 18:29:02 »
can we get an iso de layout too? that would be great.

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 23:49:23 »
Saw the updates “Orthos/40s removed” sad face... kept reading “Orthos/40s added” oooh I like. This looks very nice

Offline Stev!e

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 04:20:47 »
Holy smokes those deskpads! Concrete especially :eek:

Offline NotFai

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 10:42:51 »
This set looks so soothing. Really like the colors, great job :thumb:

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #150 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 10:58:46 »
I believe I misread ... is there going to be a 40s/ortho kit?

Offline Owl

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 11:57:37 »
I believe I misread ... is there going to be a 40s/ortho kit?

Show Image

No plans for 40's or Ortho this time around.

Offline bigfishkb

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 18:04:07 »
I love the way this set looks. I want it for my dz60 but I need a 1u rshift. Is it too late to add it to the set?

Offline Tyson

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 18:06:20 »
You should consider adding F13 and a second B to either the Base kit or the sidewalk kit! Those are becoming more popular in the community!

Offline mdrufus

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 15:10:50 »
Does anyone know what the TKL WKL keyboard is in the first renders?

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 15:22:54 »
There's literally nothing on top, so might be WKL 8X

Offline Owl

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 18:03:40 »
There's literally nothing on top, so might be WKL 8X

It is the Enigma Infinitum in blue.

Offline BeepBoopRobit

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 13:16:45 »
This is so clean

Offline tofulo

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 15:24:56 »
very cool set, sad the hangul isn't part of the base set

Offline Linux4Life

« Reply #159 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 16:23:47 »
Looks very nice!

Offline tsjsupreme

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 09:28:25 »
Hello! I absolutely love this set. I've been a lurker for like 2 years now. Just finally made a geekhack account, as the components for my first build are on the way to me now. I'm excited! But, I built it around this set thinking it was going live today. When can we expect it to go live? I know I won't see the caps in hand for a long time, and I've got some temporary ones until then. I just want to order it ASAP so that weight is off my chest, haha. I'm super excited regardless!

Offline Owl

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 12:16:53 »
Hello! I absolutely love this set. I've been a lurker for like 2 years now. Just finally made a geekhack account, as the components for my first build are on the way to me now. I'm excited! But, I built it around this set thinking it was going live today. When can we expect it to go live? I know I won't see the caps in hand for a long time, and I've got some temporary ones until then. I just want to order it ASAP so that weight is off my chest, haha. I'm super excited regardless!

Very glad to hear you like it! Means a lot to me that you want this so bad. I haven't gotten an official date from my vendors yet but we discussed the second week of September as our goal and that has not changed. CandyKeys will be getting back to me next week and we will be able to show off the cables and artisans then. I will post an update on this thread as soon as we got those product details and there will be another update on this thread and my Discord when the exact GB date is announced. I apologize if the anticipation is a lot, (trust me it's a lot for me too haha) but it's just around the corner and I am very excited to get this out to you guys.

I want to thank everyone else again for following this project and supporting my design. You all have had so many positive and constructive things to say and I feel very lucky to have this opportunity and experience.

Offline Awayhugepickle

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 12:39:26 »
I will be going all on this set. And I mean all in. Everything. My wallet is ready. like Issac walking up the mountain with Abraham. Or Ishmael if your Muslim.

The real question is.. is my wife ready?

Offline tsjsupreme

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 12:41:36 »

Very glad to hear you like it! Means a lot to me that you want this so bad. I haven't gotten an official date from my vendors yet but we discussed the second week of September as our goal and that has not changed. CandyKeys will be getting back to me next week and we will be able to show off the cables and artisans then. I will post an update on this thread as soon as we got those product details and there will be another update on this thread and my Discord when the exact GB date is announced. I apologize if the anticipation is a lot, (trust me it's a lot for me too haha) but it's just around the corner and I am very excited to get this out to you guys.

I want to thank everyone else again for following this project and supporting my design. You all have had so many positive and constructive things to say and I feel very lucky to have this opportunity and experience.

Awesome! I'm just glad that it is in the works. Upon scrolling through looking for the look that I want in my first full build, this set kept standing out to me. So after a few times, I checked out the thread here and after reading the story behind it I am even more into it! I, like most people, thoroughly enjoy the emotions that I feel on a rainy day. The way you put the feelings into words was awesome, too! Can't wait to be the first one to get in on these :) Take care man, I'll be checking back here for sure!

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 04:11:57 »
are the kits final?

mainly concerned about:
- second b
- "Scroll Lock" vs "Scroll"

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 04:37:16 »
are the kits final?

mainly concerned about:
- second b

If they are final, but the runner still wants to include second B, the R3 1u \| key can be changed to R4 1u B without losing anything and without affecting quotes or pricing, it just will need to be communicated to GMK. See here and here.

As for Scroll↲Lock vs Scroll, this set does it the “OG way”, with two-line legends for Scroll Lock, Num Lock and stepped Caps Lock. I agree with you that it would look cleaner with single-line legends, though, so if the runner wants to, they can change R4 1u Scroll↲Lock, Num↲Lock and stepped R3 1.75u Caps↲Lock (both with and without the LED window) to Scroll, Num and Caps, respectively. Again, this just needs to be communicated to GMK when confirming the final kits for production.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2020, 04:39:38 by konstantin »

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 12:37:50 »
are the kits final?

mainly concerned about:
- second b

If they are final, but the runner still wants to include second B, the R3 1u \| key can be changed to R4 1u B without losing anything and without affecting quotes or pricing, it just will need to be communicated to GMK. See here and here.

As for Scroll↲Lock vs Scroll, this set does it the “OG way”, with two-line legends for Scroll Lock, Num Lock and stepped Caps Lock. I agree with you that it would look cleaner with single-line legends, though, so if the runner wants to, they can change R4 1u Scroll↲Lock, Num↲Lock and stepped R3 1.75u Caps↲Lock (both with and without the LED window) to Scroll, Num and Caps, respectively. Again, this just needs to be communicated to GMK when confirming the final kits for production.

i never said that I wanted single line scroll lock/num lock

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 12:39:57 »
i never said that I wanted single line scroll lock/num lock

My bad. Now I did.

The inconsistency can be fixed either way.

Offline Owl

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 17:49:38 »
are the kits final?

mainly concerned about:
- second b

currently getting new renders that will include second B in the spacebars kit, F13 in the base kit, changing 'scroll lock' to just 'scroll' in the base kit, and changing 'caps lock' to just 'caps' for the stepped versions only.

We will be asking for quotes tonight so after these changes, everything should be final.

Offline 7thAlchemist

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 18:29:28 »
The marbled deskmat is GORGEOUS, tastefully done!!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 03:09:35 »
currently getting new renders that will include second B in the spacebars kit, F13 in the base kit, changing 'scroll lock' to just 'scroll' in the base kit, and changing 'caps lock' to just 'caps' for the stepped versions only.

And Num Lock?

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 04:41:28 »

And Num Lock?

If everything else is one line, might look odd to leave num lock two lines.

Offline Owl

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 02 September 2020, 20:38:04 »
Getting new renders of the changes made up now. Renderman said they should be done next week. Should be getting a quote from GMK near the 8th of this month. We are still on track for a September GB but just wrapping up some things with everyone to make sure it all works out. Thank you all for your patience and continued support!

As for the changes being made, agian, F13 and a second B will be added. We are also making the single line legends for numlock, stepped caps lock, scroll lock, ect. Thank you for this feedback as I think this is a great change that will fit the set very well.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 07:07:29 »
As for the changes being made, agian, F13 and a second B will be added. We are also making the single line legends for numlock, stepped caps lock, scroll lock, ect. Thank you for this feedback as I think this is a great change that will fit the set very well.

Perfect :thumb:

Offline tsjsupreme

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 12:36:33 »

Any good news yet?!

Offline Owl

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 13:54:54 »

Any good news yet?!

renderman will be done with the updated changes to the kits soon. He said he was working on them tomorrow so we may have them as soon as tomorrow. We are still on track for September 29th GB date. Should be getting the prices back soon as well. Haven't heard about the cables and artisans yet from CandyKeys. I will check in on them to see if there is an update.

Offline Awayhugepickle

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 09:10:39 »
So pumped for this next update! ;D

Offline Owl

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | UPDATE: Group Buy September 29th. New Renders.[7/30/20]
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 23:11:13 »
Just uploaded the new renders, F13, B, single lines on all the caps. Again, group buy still slated for 29th. Gonna get those price quotes to you all as soon as I can. Thanks SO MUCH for following this for so long and all of your support. It has been such a pleasure being able to give back to the community!

Offline ricepixer

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | UPDATE: Group Buy September 29th. New Renders.[7/30/20]
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 00:34:05 »
Beautiful set. I will be certainly getting this!

Offline EXOgreen

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 21:01:37 »
Definitely picking up this set! Thanks for showing it off!

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 00:59:19 »
One of my favourite sets that I've seen, very excited for the launch.

Offline Current Keyboards

• currentkeyboards.com
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 09:53:32 »
Getting excited. Let's see that GB pop up!

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 16:08:10 »
Oh wow I'm new and just found this and Amethyst. Both are awesome and I can't wait until Rainy Day goes live.

Offline Owl

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 17:08:45 »
Quick update. So... some of you were right lol. 3 of the novelties didn't meet GMK standards. (I didnt have my scaling set correctly). So I am getting them changed. There wont be a big difference for all but one of them which is changed completely. This will not effect quoting or GB time. But there will be a last minute render thrown up at some point.

Offline Zestrion

« Reply #184 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 04:34:56 »
This set is so clean and pretty. I really love the hangul kit, but kind of sad that I have to pick up the base kit also, resulting in a waste of latin alphas. Is there any chance that we could get a hangul base kit, similar to GMK Yuru? I understand that its already close to GB date and it will be hard to implement, but I think some others would appreciate it also.

Alternatively, anyone got ideas on how to utilise an extra set of alphas?

Offline Owl

« Reply #185 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 17:45:50 »
This set is so clean and pretty. I really love the hangul kit, but kind of sad that I have to pick up the base kit also, resulting in a waste of latin alphas. Is there any chance that we could get a hangul base kit, similar to GMK Yuru? I understand that its already close to GB date and it will be hard to implement, but I think some others would appreciate it also.

Alternatively, anyone got ideas on how to utilise an extra set of alphas?

I agree with you. Having another base kit for hangul would have been ideal but it was sort of a tough decision that I didn't have a whole lot of experience making. On one hand, yes, it's a waste of alphas having to get the base kit and a hangul kit which results in spending more money for less efficiency. On the other hand, a hangul base kit would still have been more expensive than a regular base kit and I was worried that, because this is my first set, getting MOQ on both of those Base Kits would have been very difficult, possibly resulting in a hangul base kit not getting made which would be a disservice since one of my goals for this set was to serve a clean, themed set to those who want hangul. In the future, once I have a better grasp on what interest translates to in terms of MOQ and what vendors are willing to purchase on top of that, I would definitely like to find ways to get niche language kits to the community in a more efficient and cost effective way.

Offline djbakasan

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 18:53:25 »
I agree with you. Having another base kit for hangul would have been ideal but it was sort of a tough decision that I didn't have a whole lot of experience making. On one hand, yes, it's a waste of alphas having to get the base kit and a hangul kit which results in spending more money for less efficiency. On the other hand, a hangul base kit would still have been more expensive than a regular base kit and I was worried that, because this is my first set, getting MOQ on both of those Base Kits would have been very difficult, possibly resulting in a hangul base kit not getting made which would be a disservice since one of my goals for this set was to serve a clean, themed set to those who want hangul. In the future, once I have a better grasp on what interest translates to in terms of MOQ and what vendors are willing to purchase on top of that, I would definitely like to find ways to get niche language kits to the community in a more efficient and cost effective way.

FWIW, I think your line of thinking was super reasonable.  I definitely would have been in the audience that would have been super bummed if the MOQ meant that the hangul set simply didn't get made.  Hindsight is 20/20 but given the rationale, I'm happy you made the call that you did, even if it ends up being a bit more out of pocket for me-- but I'm so in love w/ the design of this, that it's a cost I'm more than happy to bear.

Offline Owl

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Update: New GB date October 6th. Cables![9/28/20]
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 16:53:52 »
Update for everyone:

The GB date has been moved to October 6th. The contact for quotes at GMK was sick last week and I also needed to create granular specification sheets to give to GMK that included all the rows, units, ect. (I didn't know this was needed so this happened last minute.) Our current goal is to start the GB on the 6th of October! Everything is already lined up to achieve this goal, it was really just the quotes that set us back. Rest assured, as soon as we get those quotes, we are going live!

As for some of the changes that have happened last minute...

Cables:
We are working with SwiftCables to bring you Rainy Day aviator cables! They have already provided me with some renders and product shots and they look fantastic! I have not added them to this IC yet as I want the information on here to be formal and vetted through everyone first. But you can check them out on the Discord!

Artisans:
Little bit of bitter sweet here. Artisans will not be made for the GB launch. We just couldn't get something together based on what me and the vendor discussed. HOWEVER, the good news is, Artisans WILL be coming in the future! We are planning to get them going a few months after the GB for the keycaps. And I think this is actually beneficial. For one, it will space out the financial commitment for my customers who want to get all the bells and whistles, giving you a few months to budget for those pricey artisans. It may also bring the artisan and keycap set shipping dates closer together since GMK is a couple months behind anyway. So I think this is a net positive for us and you guys!

Novelties:
As I said before, you all pointed out that there were some concerns with GMK manufacturing and my novelties. And you were right! I was convinced otherwise and that created more work and time constraints for the GB as well so I apologize for that. I have reworked the ones that needed to be reworked and vetted it with the lead vendor, Kono, and we are back on track. As I mentioned before, they only changed slightly.

I wanted to thank you all for your support and patience through this roller coaster ride. I know that some of these last minute updates and expectations were really jarring. A lot of this falls on me as I learn how to navigate a group-buy for the first time and all the details and work that go into it. I am absorbing a lot of experience and knowledge from all of this so that every design and customer experience is better than the last. I can't thank you enough for your unyielding support for this project and the kind and constructive feedback that you have all given me.

Offline Owl

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Update: GB Date Oct 6th. Cables and Novelties [9/28/20]
« Reply #188 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 17:23:27 »
Just got the novelties. They are updated in the IC!

Offline Awayhugepickle

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Update: GB Date Oct 6th. Cables and Novelties [9/28/20]
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 10:57:16 »
Looks great owl! I think that will work out for the best with the artisans further down the line. You know, for my wallet lol.

Offline ..//dexx

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 15:07:49 »
Still no pricing?

Offline Owl

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 17:42:36 »
Still no pricing?

I actually have the pricing in hand! I am just waiting for one more vendor to convert to their currency so I can update the post.

Offline boneandbee

Re: [IC] GMK Rainy Day | Update: GB Date Oct 6th. Pricing Announced! [10/1/20]
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 09:45:33 »
I'm so excited for this GB - can't wait 4 more days!

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 01:00:23 »
ZF?! Oh well. Man, i'll be forced to get another one from them. I hope to see more GMK Sets on Ilumkb.

Offline SpeakingSilence

« Reply #194 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 07:10:13 »
Devestated that there's no 40s kit on this one. Really had my heart set on it. Fingers crossed for R2.

Offline obzkure

• Mode Designs
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 07:43:50 »
Loving the muted grey and subtle pastel colorway. Looking forward to it!

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 10:04:55 »
Can't wait for this to drop

Offline kumori

• polartype
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 20:09:56 »
can't wait bro, so clean :3

Offline Current Keyboards

• currentkeyboards.com
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 17:03:58 »
Nice, just bought my set and the grunge mat. I'm actually going to likely cerakote a version of my upcoming board just for this set haha. So stoked. Nice work!