Author Topic: NIB Minis - Reliable Seller  (Read 3988 times)

Offline bigpook

NIB Minis - Reliable Seller
« on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 10:03:53 »
I can't make out the year either. This seller should know better. Maybe I will email him and ask for a larger picture.

never mind, I just emailed him. Last time he was pretty good about posting a better pic. Pretty sure he will do the same again.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 10:50:24 »
its a '92.  its blue label (doesnt that mean lexmark?).

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 11:43:55 »
Quote from: wellington1869;93902
its a '92.  its blue label (doesnt that mean lexmark?).

no. i have a blue label 1391401 made by ibm. from the label it is clear that this is not made by lexmark.

Offline lal

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 11:49:47 »
My '93 mini (see sig) also has a blue label and doesn't mention Lexmark on its "certificate".
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 11:52:44 »
fyi, seller says: "The date is August 20, 1992. The I.D. Number is 5045630"

ya, very smart of him to sell these one at a time ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 14:44:51 »
Quote from: ripster;93918

I consider it the RARIST of RARE.  My precious.

oh stop it! : )

Offline bigpook

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 14:47:38 »
Quote from: wellington1869;93916
fyi, seller says: "The date is August 20, 1992. The I.D. Number is 5045630"

ya, very smart of him to sell these one at a time ;)

I just got his email. Neat, I don't have a '92 yet.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 15:01:16 »
We'll see how it goes. I only wish they weren't so popular. I don't know even know why they carry the premium over a regular model m. My own opinion's notwithstanding.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 16:03:49 »
Quote from: bigpook;93949
I don't know even know why they carry the premium over a regular model m.

its probably not helping that we keep drawing attention to the minis in threads like these, lol.

we should talk up the virtues of the regular m instead, even the prices out a bit ;)

So who wants to praise the unappreciated old numeric keypad?

advantages:
-really nice to type in numbers.
-if you've got numbers to type, cant beat having the numpad
-yup, whehter you're doing excel spreadsheets or simply typing in your phone number or visa card, that numpad is there to serve you
-if you're a righty, its right there on the right side of the board
-can double as a pop-up calculator with a simple autohotkey script (as mine does: when I hit the numlock button, calc.exe pops up; when i hit numlock again, calc disappears).
-yup, nuthin' beats it for numbers. Much more convenient than the shift-scrolllock nonsense on the mini.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 16:21:40 »
Quote from: wellington1869;93956
its probably not helping that we keep drawing attention to the minis in threads like these, lol.

we should talk up the virtues of the regular m instead, even the prices out a bit ;)

So who wants to praise the unappreciated old numeric keypad?

advantages:
-really nice to type in numbers.
-if you've got numbers to type, cant beat having the numpad
-yup, whehter you're doing excel spreadsheets or simply typing in your phone number or visa card, that numpad is there to serve you
-if you're a righty, its right there on the right side of the board
-can double as a pop-up calculator with a simple autohotkey script (as mine does: when I hit the numlock button, calc.exe pops up; when i hit numlock again, calc disappears).
-yup, nuthin' beats it for numbers. Much more convenient than the shift-scrolllock nonsense on the mini.

It makes the keyboard heavier, thus making it more slide resistant.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 16:26:09 »
Quote from: itlnstln;93957
It makes the keyboard heavier, thus making it more slide resistant.

excellent point itln :)  I am enjoying my slide-less M, thats for sure. The regular M weighs about a pound more than the mini -- I can type as rapidly as I like secure in the knowledge that incidents of slide will be rare or non existent.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 16:36:03 »
The full size model m's are fine, numpad and all. Its the reaching for the mouse that makes it hard to love. I don't know how you guys deal with the ergonomics of that.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 16:39:58 »
Quote from: webwit;93959
Geekhack is just an evil site and it must go. A promotion by united ebay sellers. All Model M keyboards suck, why would you need that trash when you can buy a brand new, soft touch, silent, extra slim rubber cup keyboard? The worst keyboard of them all is the IBM M15.

lol

Although.. I just bought a NIB Model M for $40 BIN, which ain't bad. Maybe so cheap because it is a late Unicomp. BTW what is happening to the dollar? I paid like 1 euro after conversion.

from what i gather: 1) expectation that US is going to have to issue more debt (diluting the dollar); 2) expectation of global economic turnaround, investors dropping dollar in favor of stocks and commodities.

I think geithner is in china trying to stem the tide.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 16:41:22 »
Quote from: bigpook;93960
The full size model m's are fine, numpad and all. Its the reaching for the mouse that makes it hard to love. I don't know how you guys deal with the ergonomics of that.

I either mouse for extended periods of time or type for extended periods of time.  I don't reach back and forth much.  That, and I am a big keyboard shortcut kind of user.  I prefer not to reach for the mouse no matter how close it is.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 16:42:49 »
Quote from: bigpook;93960

hey, i like reaching for the mouse ;)   And you're not helping ;)

Its so refreshing to be able to stretch your arm. Aaaaaaaah.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 16:44:52 »
Quote from: itlnstln;93962
I either mouse for extended periods of time or type for extended periods of time.  I don't reach back and forth much.  That, and I am a big keyboard shortcut kind of user.  I prefer not to reach for the mouse no matter how close it is.

ya, what itnl said.  I too am a huge keyb shortcut guy, so I rarely reach for the mouse no matter where it is.

In addition to keyb shortcuts, I even have rudimentary mouse control on my keyb anyway. All in my ginormous autohotkey script.  I rarely leave home row for anything.  

Except of course to use that amazingly convenient numeric keypad.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 17:05:15 »
I was mousing with the left hand but my elbow blew out so I am mousing on the right hand side. I use the mouse often enough for it to be an issue, if you guys can do most of what it is that you do and not have to use a mouse too often, then thats great.

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 17:14:54 »
After joining this forum I've come to realize that there are much better key switches than buckling springs. The Model M has built its reputation because it is compared to rubber dome keyboards and not other mechanical keyboards. This is because buckling springs was prominently manufactured & marketed at a watershed point in computing unlike the other mechanical key switches. Of course if your only two choices are rubber dome or "clicky' BS (which are the two most well known key switches amongst general consumers), then BS is going to look good.

Newer key switches are JUST as durable (~20+ million key stroke spec). They too are not mushy like worn rubber domes so in this sense they are consistently responsive to your finger action. Newer switches also provide feedback but not at the cost of a ridiculously high actuation force. Use a brown cherry or a Topre and I guarantee that your chances of RSI will be significantly reduced. $100 + is a lot of money and better spent on superior, improved boards (which do exist - we manufacture more than just rubber domes today).

So one may wonder that after all this BS bashing (which I've come to do after being enlightened in this forum), why I have 3 IBMs myself? Purely for nostalgic reason. My daily driver is the Compaq.

Save that money and buy yourself a better keyboard (unless you have issues like me and prefer to collect antiques as opposed to using them).

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 17:44:46 »
yike - i did not notice that. yeah, i purposely kept my bs bashing to a remotely relevant thread because i don't want too much attention with that. i'm sure people can decide for themselves what they like best.

anyway, from now on we'll keep the ebay find stuff relevant and no more bs bashing from me.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 18:14:25 »
Quote from: ripster;93974

I already got a gentle ding by iMav to try and keep on topic in the Ebay section.

LOL - this has almost exceeded that postings reply count.

I think he was just saying that each individual ebay listing should be in its own thread; i dont think he was saying there cant be extended conversations within the thread itself.  Breaking out into fights within a thread is a gh tradition after all ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 18:16:56 »
Quote from: bigpook;93969
I was mousing with the left hand but my elbow blew out so I am mousing on the right hand side. I use the mouse often enough for it to be an issue, if you guys can do most of what it is that you do and not have to use a mouse too often, then thats great.

pook, we were just trying to bring the prices of the minis down ;)

Offline MANISH7

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 18:37:02 »
Quote from: webwit;93980
bashing from a man with three NIB Model Ms :)

exactly - weakens my credibility. they'll think i'm full of BS lol!

Offline bigpook

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 18:41:48 »
Quote from: wellington1869;93984
pook, we were just trying to bring the prices of the minis down ;)

thats cool and all, but I don't think its working, lol.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 18:45:14 »
Quote from: bigpook;93987
thats cool and all, but I don't think its working, lol.

;D had to try... i'll prolly pick one up in the next few weeks :)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 18:47:18 »
Quote from: ripster;93977

Show Image

can you believe that dweeb is going out with her now? sheesh.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 June 2009, 02:05:41 »
which city was plant number F7?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 June 2009, 03:26:33 »
wise-ass. :D

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 June 2009, 12:30:57 »
thanks for the link ;)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 19:09:34 »
19 minutes and counting

Offline bigpook

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 19:14:10 »
dang, its not going to happen. Its now over 200 with shipping. fricking maniacs.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 19:33:15 »
It went for 205. Anyone here win it?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 20:07:13 »
Quote from: bigpook;94863
It went for 205. Anyone here win it?

wow. plus 20 for shipping.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 08 June 2009, 20:10:00 »
I know. Its not even the shipping that bothers me. Its that these NIB mini's are now going for over 200. Thats just insane.