Author Topic: [IC]GMK Camping r2 (GB is up!)  (Read 132134 times)

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
Re: [IC]GMK Camping in Japan (update 12/08: updated novelty kit)
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:22:40 »
GMK sets don't have foreign sublegends because the designers want to offer a keyset to that demographic (in this case towards Japanese), they have sublegends because people think they are cool. So the question is not "how much support do Japanese people give" but "how much support do keyboard people give".

I understand that. It was just something I've been wondering--an aside.
I'm sure people will support this set, regardless.
I just feel it would look better--cooler--while still presenting a Japanese theme without the sublegends.

Offline Hell-es

Re: [IC]GMK Camping in Japan (update 18/08: updated base and novelty kit)
« Reply #251 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 03:54:09 »
EVen cooler with Hiragana only   :thumb: but most likely i‘m alone with this opinion

Offline typischt

« Reply #252 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 05:11:52 »
Please don‘t replace the green ISO enter with the accented one! :(

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #253 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 05:43:56 »
GMK sets don't have foreign sublegends because the designers want to offer a keyset to that demographic (in this case towards Japanese), they have sublegends because people think they are cool. So the question is not "how much support do Japanese people give" but "how much support do keyboard people give".

I just feel it would look better--cooler--while still presenting a Japanese theme without the sublegends.

Like I said before...This one has hiragana sublegends because I think it looks good and balances the legends on the surface for GMK sets..
I think designing keysets is pretty important to stick with what you think it's cool, you don't want to run a set that you will regret in the future..
But I'm considering offer the latin alphas as a separated kit if there is enough demand for that.
Not my initial idea for this run, but I do listen...

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #254 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 05:46:22 »
reserved
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2019, 05:48:46 by kingnestea »

Offline adxlk

« Reply #255 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 06:38:52 »

Like I said before...This one has hiragana sublegends because I think it looks good and balances the legends on the surface for GMK sets..
I think designing keysets is pretty important to stick with what you think it's cool, you don't want to run a set that you will regret in the future..
But I'm considering offer the latin alphas as a separated kit if there is enough demand for that.

sent u a pm

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #256 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:00:46 »

It’s your GB, but I still prefer it when a GB is not run by a committee and avoids straying from the designer’s original direction.
Remember, those of us who are happy with JP sublegends have no reason to speak out, so you’ve only been hearing from the upset crowd.

Offline Laughmaster

« Reply #257 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:06:27 »

Ditto to this sentiment. This came up in the IC for the original GMK camping as well - ISO and numpad users are being forced to use the accent colors now that the normal mod colors have been removed for ISO and numpad return keys. The accents are great, but the set still looks fantastic without them. Please bring back the green ISO and numpad return.

I'd also like to say, I don't really care much about the idea of offering a separate kit for mono English alphas, as long as it doesn't change the base kit to allow people to buy the set without the hiragana legends. My knee-jerk reaction was to be a bit peeved since you said GMK Camping would never be offered again during the original IC, but after thinking about it a bit I really don't care. It's a popular set for a reason, and I think it would be wrong to begrudge people for wanting it. But at the very least they should be contributing towards hitting MOQ and reducing the price of the intended base kit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:22:43 by Laughmaster »

Offline varzaman

« Reply #258 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:16:13 »

I would buy in if there are Latin alphas offered.

Offline varzaman

« Reply #259 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:18:12 »

It’s your GB, but I still prefer it when a GB is not run by a committee and avoids straying from the designer’s original direction.
Remember, those of us who are happy with JP sublegends have no reason to speak out, so you’ve only been hearing from the upset crowd.

That is true, but if feedback is being asked, people will speak out their mind. So I wouldn't completely discount it either. Group buys usually aren't that massive either, so individual comments are more "powerful" if that makes any sense.

Either way, it is totally up to kingnestea, I wouldn't be upset if the direction goes in a different direction then I would want.

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #260 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:53:57 »

Ditto to this sentiment. This came up in the IC for the original GMK camping as well - ISO and numpad users are being forced to use the accent colors now that the normal mod colors have been removed for ISO and numpad return keys. The accents are great, but the set still looks fantastic without them. Please bring back the green ISO and numpad return.

good point - would prefer both ;)  if just one ... don‘t know if accent color or not

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #261 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 09:56:13 »

I'd also like to say, I don't really care much about the idea of offering a separate kit for mono English alphas, as long as it doesn't change the base kit to allow people to buy the set without the hiragana legends. My knee-jerk reaction was to be a bit peeved since you said GMK Camping would never be offered again during the original IC, but after thinking about it a bit I really don't care. It's a popular set for a reason, and I think it would be wrong to begrudge people for wanting it. But at the very least they should be contributing towards hitting MOQ and reducing the price of the intended base kit.

I cut the green ISO enter and numpad enter in this revision because the pricing was a little bit higher than I have expected.
I'll see if this revision makes a decent reduce of the pricing for the base kit, if not, I'll consider adding the green enters back.
If I'm going to do a separated Latin alpha kit, it is not to impact the Hiragana base, as that's the initial purpose of this run.
Ppl who choose the Hiragana base can skip the Latin alphas, we'll drop the Latin alphas if it fails.

Offline Laughmaster

« Reply #262 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:21:27 »

I cut the green ISO enter and numpad enter in this revision because the pricing was a little bit higher than I have expected.
I'll see if this revision makes a decent reduce of the pricing for the base kit, if not, I'll consider adding the green enters back.
If I'm going to do a separated Latin alpha kit, it is not to impact the Hiragana base, as that's the initial purpose of this run.
Ppl who choose the Hiragana base can skip the Latin alphas, we'll drop the Latin alphas if it fails.

Thanks for the clarifications! One last little nitpick that I just noticed: The numpad enter says "Enter" rather than "Return" like the other ones.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #263 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:48:58 »
Thanks for the clarifications! One last little nitpick that I just noticed: The numpad enter says "Enter" rather than "Return" like the other ones.

Return comes from Carriage Return (CR), the command to begin a new line (and the term stemming from typewriters where the Carriage would Return to the start of the line). While the Enter on the Numpad 'enters' whatever equation you just typed in. While they may do the same thing when you are in Notepad, system wise they have different tasks.

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #264 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:57:50 »
New render with M60-A

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #265 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 12:37:47 »

Return comes from Carriage Return (CR), the command to begin a new line (and the term stemming from typewriters where the Carriage would Return to the start of the line). While the Enter on the Numpad 'enters' whatever equation you just typed in. While they may do the same thing when you are in Notepad, system wise they have different tasks.

Not just that, but in older terminal keyboards, Return and Enter were different keys, a distinction that has largely been lost nowadays. Return would simply jump to a new line, while Enter would "complete" the input and tell the computer to execute the command that had just been given (which may, indeed, have been typed into one line or more). Nowadays, Enter does both, and if one wants to do an "enterless" Return, Shift-Enter is generally available in whatever text window the user is on at the moment (chat windows are the prime example of this).

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #266 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 12:54:17 »
Would buy Latin alphas. Would buy green or red ones too. Shoot your shot, I like these designs.

Offline kingnestea

Re: [IC]GMK Camping in Japan (update 19/08: updated new renders)
« Reply #267 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 15:17:34 »
If you support this set, please put this banner in your profile signature.

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101859.0][img width=480 height=120]https://imgur.com/ykKu4RL.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2019, 15:20:51 by kingnestea »

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #268 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 15:41:25 »
done.

Offline rondg

« Reply #269 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 16:59:12 »

Not just that, but in older terminal keyboards, Return and Enter were different keys, a distinction that has largely been lost nowadays. Return would simply jump to a new line, while Enter would "complete" the input and tell the computer to execute the command that had just been given (which may, indeed, have been typed into one line or more). Nowadays, Enter does both, and if one wants to do an "enterless" Return, Shift-Enter is generally available in whatever text window the user is on at the moment (chat windows are the prime example of this).

Today, I learned something new...

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #270 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 17:08:32 »
Camping was popular enough in both GMK & SA that I'm sure we'll see another round of one or the other sooner than later. So don't get to worked up about no mono legend alphas with this set guys!

except that this set only exists because the runner doesn't want to make an r2 because the owners of r1 will be sad

Oh did not know that, kinda depressing as I would love to see a Camping Rd.2 in GMK or SA. Although it still does not negate the fact this a seperate kit from Camping & the sub legends are crucial to the theme.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #271 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 18:52:48 »

I appreciate you considering it!
It is your design, you choice. 
If latin alphas are offered as extras, I'll be picking up a whole set with all the extras.
If they're not available, I'll still pick up all the extra kits and just wait for Camping R2.
Either way, you've got my money.

Offline jortzii

Re: [IC]GMK Camping in Japan (update 09/08 kit design rev.1 with novelty kit)
« Reply #272 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 22:57:21 »
this is really cool. any chance of a regular white 6u space being included in the space kit? just so us 6u users can have a non-accented spacebar? :D

Seconding this because I think 6u is the play for the Volcano660 in forest green I'm getting
Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline SantiGo

« Reply #273 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 04:52:27 »
Very nice  :thumb:

Offline digid3ar

« Reply #274 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 00:34:25 »
in for base, this set would be awesome while reading futari solo camp manga.

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #275 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 03:42:08 »

If a second alphas kit does get offered, I do suggest adding a second tab for the second alphas kit. This way the extra mods and the unused alphas can be used for a second board without having them sit in the tray. If not then I don't feel like a second tab is needed, but I just don't want so many keys to be unused if a second alphas kit does get added.

Drew a picture to try to illustrate it.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #276 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 04:41:22 »
If a second alphas kit does get offered, I do suggest adding a second tab for the second alphas kit. This way the extra mods and the unused alphas can be used for a second board without having them sit in the tray. If not then I don't feel like a second tab is needed, but I just don't want so many keys to be unused if a second alphas kit does get added.

For that matter, add a second Home by the Sea key and with it plus an extra set of arrows, that 60% could be made into a 65% as well.

Offline OtherAndrew

« Reply #277 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 04:51:21 »

For that matter, add a second Home by the Sea key and with it plus an extra set of arrows, that 60% could be made into a 65% as well.

tkl and numpad mods too pls k thx
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 August 2019, 04:56:31 by OtherAndrew »

Offline kingnestea

« Reply #278 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 02:28:25 »

Drew a picture to try to illustrate it.
Show Image

This is a great idea, thanks a ton

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #279 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 05:28:58 »
Really like the novelties and love the japanese sublegends - please keep them in ! :thumb: <3
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2019, 07:26:04 by JSaintS »

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #280 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 06:51:43 »

Tossing in support for some latin alphas, hiragana sublegends is a no go.

Offline kingnestea

Update 23/08/2019: Kit design rev. 3

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2019, 05:32:33 by kingnestea »

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

Bravo. Looks great.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
100% IN for multiple of all kits. KingNestea is the king. SO looking forward to this.

Offline DJ Shoko

I think I'm in for two latin kits (one for my Camping R1), base, spacebar kit, and maybe multiple novelties and communities. Really looking forward to this one now.

Offline ogWalker

A Hiragana kit and latin alphas in the main base kit would make more sense in my opinion. This way camping r1 owners can own both alphas without having to buy the whole base kit. I also think more people prefer the latin to hiragana.  :thumb:

Offline dallman5

I don’t think you need the spacebar in the Latin alphas but other than that looks great! Really looking forward to the GB :)
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
I don’t think you need the spacebar in the Latin alphas but other than that looks great! Really looking forward to the GB :)

shh, it's a Latin spacebar

Offline nguyenhimself

[IC]GMK Camping in Japan (update 23/08: kit design rev 3 with Latin alpha kit)
« Reply #288 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 20:43:24 »
A Hiragana kit and latin alphas in the main base kit would make more sense in my opinion. This way camping r1 owners can own both alphas without having to buy the whole base kit. I also think more people prefer the latin to hiragana.  :thumb:
You guys just won the battle convincing kingnestea to include a latin alpha kit.
Don’t be greedy now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2019, 21:01:14 by nguyenhimself »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor

You do if you want to use the alphas with mods from another set. Granted, your layout options will be limited.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
thank heck the Latin alphas were added. in on it now

Offline hammerbrotha

Definitely in for this. Camping is a set I missed out the first time, now with Latin alphas i'm probably in for both the base + latin.
Thanks!

Offline dallman5

You do if you want to use the alphas with mods from another set. Granted, your layout options will be limited.

Valid point. Either way, it should be 6.25/7u both included or neither, seems silly just to provide one. 

LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline ST999

Thank you so much kingnesta for adding a latin alpha kit! I’ll be picking up all kits now.

Offline kingnestea

Valid point. Either way, it should be 6.25/7u both included or neither, seems silly just to provide one.

I agree, removed the spacebar in Latin alphas kit

Offline guzzi

Update 23/08/2019: Kit design rev. 3

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thank you for listening to the feedback and reconsidering a point you were somewhat set on initially.
Count me in.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
kits look awesome and super happy you kept japanese sublegends in the core kit! <3 looks awesome!

Offline Hell-es

Asking for kobe kit will probably be too much  :cool:.?

Offline kingnestea

Re: [IC]GMK Camping r2 (update 23/08: kit design rev 3 with Latin alpha kit)
« Reply #298 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 13:08:51 »
Since Latin alphas will be provided, I'm renaming this to Camping r2 which is more logical and to avoid confusions in the future.

Offline kingnestea

Asking for kobe kit will probably be too much  :cool:.?

Please... :(