geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] GMK Classic Black on White (New Kitting)

(1/27) > >>

upas:

New Kitting below, please fill out the form again to provide new feedback for the new kits!

GMK Classic Black on White
Hey guys - Upas here from CannonKeys with a new set idea for you all.

>> PLEASE FILL OUT THIS FORM FOR FEEDBACK <<

GMK Classic Black on White is meant to capture a more classic look and feel for a black on white set. It features Text+Icon mods, R5 bottom row, and CR on WS1. (Note - I know CR on WS1 is not traditionally a classic colorway, as most classic boards are beige. That's fine, this is our classic take on Black on White)

The colors are the same as GMK Minimal (not GMK Bleached), but the set differs significantly. Its purpose isn’t to achieve a minimal look - but instead to harken back to classic Cherry boards in the G80 and G81 series line, in the BoW colorway. The R5 bottom row is taller than R4 and provides a different typing feel, and was originally included on many older WKL Cherry boards.

The goal here is to keep the base kit priced around $110 (price is based on comparison with more recent GMK quotes and also the more expensive R5 keys), with the numpad and spacebar kits being no more than $35. If we can’t hit those prices given GMK quotes, we’ll likely run a more traditional base kit that includes numpad with a higher price point.

When kitting, I kept in mind that GMK Minimal has already run with the same colors. I wanted to prioritize keys that are net-new to this set (Text + Icon mods). This means NordeUK probably won’t happen.

These kits are mostly finalized - I am open to more feedback that can change them, but we've gone through a round of iteration already. Only glaring errors and omissions will be fixed.

Here are the new kits:
The True Classic

This kit includes R5 and Text + Icon mods, making it the True Classic.
Featuring wide compatibility for many layouts, this fits most 60, 65, 75, TKL, 1800, and Fullsize boards. (And physical ISO)
This is aimed for enthusiasts who want wide compatibility in a single kit - the price target is $119.99

The Limited

This is a limited base kit, featuring compatibility for most 60, 65, 75, and TKL boards.
The set has R4 bottom row to keep the price down. Those just starting out in the hobby may find this more appealing.
The price target here is $99.99 or less

40s

The 40s kit is changed considerably from the last time, and now should include everything necessary for most 40 and ortho boards.
Legends are text + icon where possible, and features R4 bottom row, as feedback seemed to indicate 40s users don't like R5 that much!
This is meant to be paired with The Limited for a sub-$135 base + 40s pair. Price target is $33.99

Spacebar

A spacebar kit is available with 2x 3U space keys, as well as Alice compatibility/Split space compatibility.
This can be paired with either the True Classic or Limited Kit. Price target is $19.99

Target prices are subject to change. These prices use aggressive MOQs, but we think we can hit them given community interest. CannonKeys will likely buy a good share of extras as well to help achieve these prices.

More Board Renders
MoreDevastatingTKL:

Satisfaction75:

Chimera65:

There is no ETA for this set atm, as we want to gather feedback, get some prices, and improve kitting before locking in a solid date, but it will run on CannonKeys.

Much thanks to:
Lightning for providing context on R5 bottom row
Abec13 for board renders
sGhost for kit renders
40s Discord for your helpful keyset design pins

>> PLEASE FILL OUT THIS FORM FOR FEEDBACK <<

Old Kits for Reference
MoreBase

Fits most 60, 65, 75, TKL boards.

Numpad

The keys you’ll need to build a Fullsize or 1800 board

Extension

F13, Extra Shift Keys, Extra R5 1U Keys, HHKB keys, Physical ISO, R3/R4 PgUp PgDn, Classic Windows 95 keys (Not 100% sure on these ones)

Spacebar

A spacebar kit is available with 2x 3U space keys, as well as Alice compatibility/Split space compatibility.

40s

I tried my best on the 40s kit, but realize it may be lacking. I would appreciate extra feedback in this area.

Agilr:
Nice
Okay

Edit: Just realised it's R5

of_sam:
Always good to see sets being done in non-cursed mods.

Qarmaa:
POG

kk73715:
GLWIC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version